PDA

View Full Version : Live Q&A session with Scot Amos about LCTOO

Driber
18th Nov 2014, 22:27
Update: Scot is now sitting in and is ready for your questions!

A few house rules before we start:

- Max 1 question per forum post. Please don't put multiple questions in the same post; make a new post for a new question.

- Please keep your questions respectful.

- Try to be to the point so that we can get to as many questions from people as possible.

Thanks http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/smilies/smile.png

------------------

Coming this Tuesday, November 25th, 2014

60 minute live Q&A session with Scot Amos, Executive Producer at Crystal Dynamics.

Ask him anything regarding LCTOO (Lara Croft and the Temple Of Osiris)

Time: 10 AM PST (click here (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Q%26A&iso=20141121T10&p1=224) to convert to your local time)

Sign up now (https://membership.square-enix.com/register?locale=en&service=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.eu.square-enix.com%2Flogin.php%3Fdo%3Dlogin_sso) if you haven't already and get your questions ready!

------------------

Scotchmo
24th Nov 2014, 21:07
One more day until we have our live-forum open Q&A! Can't wait to chat with you all tomorrow! -S

MeaganMarie
25th Nov 2014, 17:13
An hour to go! Start prepping your questions!

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 17:52
Scot is now sitting in and is ready for your questions!

A few house rules before we start:

- Max 1 question per forum post. Please don't put multiple questions in the same post; make a new post for a new question.

- Please keep your questions respectful.

- Try to be to the point so that we can get to as many questions from people as possible.

a_big_house
25th Nov 2014, 17:54
Good morning, Scot and Meagan!

Question: A couple months ago when asked if there would be an official soundtrack release for Osiris, you (Scot) said that there was no news at that time. Is there any news now; will we be getting an official soundtrack release for Osiris?

Blacktron
25th Nov 2014, 18:00
Hello Scot,

I've seen that in the selection screen for weapons and amulets and such there's a selection of upper body clothing pieces, but in all the demo videos I've never seen it being selected. One question has been burning in my mind ever since: are the selectable clothing pieces only there for aesthetic purposes or do they influence the game in some other way as well, such as granting bonusses?

If you're not allowed to answer that, never mind, I'll see it for myself in two weeks :)

Thanks for this Q&A session, and thanks for making this game, it's much appreciated. I just bought a PS4 for it :)

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:01
Good morning, Scot and Meagan!

Question: A couple months ago when asked if there would be an official soundtrack release for Osiris, you (Scot) said that there was no news at that time. Is there any news now; will we be getting an official soundtrack release for Osiris?

Good morning ABH! We have a TON of original music for LC:TOO and are definitely looking at the best way to share it with everyone. We had some great feedback from our own in-house quality assurance testers who said they're STILL discovering music during replay that they hadn't heard yet! So I'm sure we'll find a way to get this out there for everyone.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:03
Hello Scot,

I've seen that in the selection screen for weapons and amulets and such there's a selection of upper body clothing pieces, but in all the demo videos I've never seen it being selected. One question has been burning in my mind ever since: are the selectable clothing pieces only there for aesthetic purposes or do they influence the game in some other way as well, such as granting bonusses?

If you're not allowed to answer that, never mind, I'll see it for myself in two weeks :)

Thanks for this Q&A session, and thanks for making this game, it's much appreciated. I just bought a PS4 for it :)

Hello Blacktron -

We're thrilled to be bringing Lara back into classic-arcade action so it's great to hear you're excited for it too! As for clothing... the custom costumes are aesthetic based, but, all of the rings and amulets are effects based which can influence your individual abilities OR your team's overall shared abilities; so we have a bit of both!

Treeble
25th Nov 2014, 18:06
Hey Scot, thanks for the opportunity. I'm on mobile so I'll be straight to the point: any chance we'll see Totec or any other legacy character as unlockable or downloadable skin packs? :)

a_big_house
25th Nov 2014, 18:08
Awesome to hear, Scot, thanks :D

Question: With regards to the multiple outfits in Osiris, is it possible for the game to be played with characters wearing different outfits? e.g. Lara wearing the DX outfit, Carter wearing the Legend outfit and so on...

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:09
Hey Scot, thanks for the opportunity. I'm on mobile so I'll be straight to the point: any chance we'll see Totec or any other legacy character as unlockable or downloadable skin packs? :)

Hello Treeble! It's certainly been internally discussed, but we haven't yet stated what any future add-ons we may have as throw-back to legacy characters. We'd love to hear what pieces you'd all like to see as such future add-ons for us to consider!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:11
Awesome to hear, Scot, thanks :D

Question: With regards to the multiple outfits in Osiris, is it possible for the game to be played with characters wearing different outfits? e.g. Lara wearing the DX outfit, Carter wearing the Legend outfit and so on...

We've designed the system as flexibly as possible so you can have each player in a custom style they own.

MeaganMarie
25th Nov 2014, 18:11
Hey Scot! I'm particularly excited about this one - can you share a few details about community-centric features in LCTOO? In particular the community chest? :D

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 18:15
Scot, what is your personal favorite weapon, and why? :)

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:15
Hey Scot! I'm particularly excited about this one - can you share a few details about community-centric features in LCTOO? In particular the community chest? :D

Sure thing! Since we have such an active and awesome community we've added a new "Community Challenges" system to LCTOO. As often as weekly once the game launches, we'll put up challenges ranging from gather a certain amount of things to kill a certain number of a specific enemy type with specific weapons that everyone who's playing contributes to as they play! In this way, the community as a whole is working towards a reward that everyone gets to share in - such as gems or gear/weapon unlocks. IF the community succeeds at the challenge in the given timeframe, then they can each go to a special gold-chest in the center of the overworld we call the Community Chest where they can claim their hard earned prize! These challenges will ebb and flow as players join the game so we can tailor the challenges... and even unlock a few surprise challenges and custom events long after the game first comes out!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:18
Scot, what is your personal favorite weapon, and why? :)

Oh... personal favorite weapon... that's tougher than it sounds to answer as we've got so many. It depends a bit on if I'm playing solo or with a team. The chaingun is a team favorite when you have 4 players loaded up with rings and amulets - it's just a wall of death flying in every direction. I'm a sniper by nature, and using some of our crazy powerful single-shot weapons, while requiring a bit more skill, are crazy fun particularly the highest rarity ones that can pass through multiple enemies at once!

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 18:23
Thanks, Scot. I do love to mow enemies down in my games as well, heh.

Here's a question some of the hardcore fans would probably like to know - how much research went into the lore, and does LCTOO stays true to said lore or were some things changed for this game?

MeaganMarie
25th Nov 2014, 18:23
Questions from Facebook - "How does the Overworld work? Is the game more linear or open for exploration? And how does the weather system factor in to what order you can explore?"

a_big_house
25th Nov 2014, 18:24
Would it at all be possible for you in the future, to create & release a level editor of sorts for the community to make and share their own levels?

Rai
Hi, Scot,

Q: Do you see this as potentially becoming a side-series for Tomb Raider or will it most likely remain as a dualology?

Rolfnl
Scott, is there a chance that classic Tomb Raider II gets the IOS-treatment (like TR1) to coincide with the Osiris-release?

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:27
Thanks, Scot. I do love to mow enemies down in my games as well, heh.

Here's a question some of the hardcore fans would probably like to know - how much research went into the lore, and does LCTOO stays true to said lore or were some things changed for this game?

The Osiris Myth has many variations and depending on which sources we looked at, there are all sorts of details and twists and turns. For us, we have a few folks that even at the end of Guardian of Light started researching Egypt and looking for an angle on a classic myth Lara hadn't explored yet. When we started Temple of Osiris we had folks here at the studio who'd already done so much research and we had tons of Egyptian Mythology books here that we could reference for how to retell this tale in a unique way built for a lighthearted retelling of this myth, but as a prophecy that Lara now got to be part of bringing to fruition. Certainly all of the key characters and basic touchstones are steeped in the broadly accepted myth; but we did take our own poetic license to make the environment suitably Croft-like in nature to have traps, puzzles, tombs, and a place for Lara to find new teammates!

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 18:28
Sneaky, Rolfnl (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/member.php?u=189141). But this Q&A is about LCTOO ;)

MeaganMarie
25th Nov 2014, 18:30
Scott, is there a chance that classic Tomb Raider II gets the IOS-treatment (like TR1) to coincide with the Osiris-release?

Scot's here to focus on LCTOO related questions at the moment! Broader franchise questions will have to wait, but I'll pass along your enthusiasm for seeing a TRII iOS version to the mobile team. I'd love to see it, too!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:31
Questions from Facebook - "How does the Overworld work? Is the game more linear or open for exploration? And how does the weather system factor in to what order you can explore?"

The Overworld is large, raised Shrine hidden for centuries in a mountainous area of Egypt. This area is the outdoor connective tissue that links the Temple of Osiris (the giant pyramid) with the rest of the tombs and other areas to explore that are each themed to a particular god from the Myth. Each god has a certain element of power they control - such as day/night, drought/rain, or fire/ice. The weather and world state changes affect where you can explore in this overworld, what rewards you can find, and even influence the various enemy types who spawn and it changes dynamically as the game and story progresses!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:32
Would it at all be possible for you in the future, to create & release a level editor of sorts for the community to make and share their own levels?

Love the idea, ABH, that type of user-generated-content has been asked about before. We'd love to hear from our community on this so we can take it into account for our future plans.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:35
Hi, Scot,

Q: Do you see this as potentially becoming a side-series for Tomb Raider or will it most likely remain as a dualology?

While anything is possible, the "LC" side of the brand is set as our classic, arcade Croft version for now where we get to explore the more exotic fantasy aspects of the franchise's roots and have excuses for giant building-size enemies! :)

Blacktron
25th Nov 2014, 18:38
The god Set in this game looks a lot like the god Anubis and not so much like Set. Seeing how you did a lot of research on Egyptian mythology I can't believe it was a mistake. Any perticular reason for that?

a_big_house
25th Nov 2014, 18:39
How many customization items are in Osiris, approximately?

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 18:44
Scot, what was for you the hardest challenge in the game and how much time did you spend completing it (if you did)?

ShishkaCA
25th Nov 2014, 18:45
In the "Four Player Co-Op Mayhem" video we see a bit about treasure chests at the ends of tombs. Do treasure chests replace Guardian of Light's challenges, or is there more than one way to get items?

Thalli
25th Nov 2014, 18:45
Hi Scot! Your last developer diary showed off a couple of TOO's boss fights. How do Osiris' boss fights compare to Guardian of Light's?

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:47
The god Set in this game looks a lot like the god Anubis and not so much like Set. Seeing how you did a lot of research on Egyptian mythology I can't believe it was a mistake. Any perticular reason for that?

Not a mistake at all... but great noticing the detail! Set's ears are square which they should be based on the old god statues we'd seen in research of various depictions. Definitely lots of similarities between Anubis and Set, but we found enough historic foundation to craft this one be both familiar and still unique to Set vs. the full-on Anubis.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:48
In the "Four Player Co-Op Mayhem" video we see a bit about treasure chests at the ends of tombs. Do treasure chests replace Guardian of Light's challenges, or is there more than one way to get items?

There are Challenges and Treasure Chests of all kinds in both the tombs and in the overworld. So at the end of each main tomb there is a treasure room... that you can loot, and then replay the tomb and loot again, etc. In the overworld, you can find chests hidden everywhere and the harder to get to ones have loot that is even more rare. Challenges exist per tomb and in each section of the overworld.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:50
How many customization items are in Osiris, approximately?

Let's see... weapons which come in various rarity and some with special powers, as well as rings, as well as amulets... all together it's over 250 different things and growing! :)

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:53
Hi Scot! Your last developer diary showed off a couple of TOO's boss fights. How do Osiris' boss fights compare to Guardian of Light's?

All of the bosses for LC:TOO were custom built to leverage the mechanics and themes of Lara's new adventure. We wanted to incorporate a strong puzzle element into each boss fight so it wasn't merely a shoot-fest to conquer them but required player ingenuity and in co-op, player collaboration to solve each boss in a different way. We had a dedicated design team per boss fight who would craft an idea on paper, explore, then see if the team could figure it out or take down the boss; and then iterate several times until the right balance of unique mechanics with action felt like it fit into this adventure.

Thalli
25th Nov 2014, 18:54
Oh! Another question! I loved the Challenge Tombs in Guardian of Light. Does Osiris have Challenge Tombs?

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:55
Scot, what was for you the hardest challenge in the game and how much time did you spend completing it (if you did)?

We have SO many challenges... from time-based to score-based, as well as some excellent puzzles requiring players to use classic mechanics like their bombs to manipulate the world without using their hands to move objects around. As for the toughest... hmmm... our lead level designer, Jeff Wajcs, who was also on Guardian of Light, created some crazy hard puzzles that were on the main story path that in his first implementation were nearly impossible for us, on the team to even complete them! Those eventually got pulled out of the story path and made into our challenge tombs that are optional side-content. And they scale in difficulty with more players so the puzzles adapt. There are few of those that took a while in multiplayer to solve!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 18:56
Oh! Another question! I loved the Challenge Tombs in Guardian of Light. Does Osiris have Challenge Tombs?

Hi Thalli, I was working on an answer to Driber's question - that happens to address this one as well. We, too, loved the Challenge tombs and definitely brought them back in full-force for LC:TOO. Can't wait to hear what you think of them!

Treeble
25th Nov 2014, 18:57
Sure thing! Since we have such an active and awesome community we've added a new "Community Challenges" system to LCTOO. As often as weekly once the game launches, we'll put up challenges ranging from gather a certain amount of things to kill a certain number of a specific enemy type with specific weapons that everyone who's playing contributes to as they play! In this way, the community as a whole is working towards a reward that everyone gets to share in - such as gems or gear/weapon unlocks. IF the community succeeds at the challenge in the given timeframe, then they can each go to a special gold-chest in the center of the overworld we call the Community Chest where they can claim their hard earned prize! These challenges will ebb and flow as players join the game so we can tailor the challenges... and even unlock a few surprise challenges and custom events long after the game first comes out!

Hopefully there's still time - just wondering if these community rewards will be available for "late adopters" of the game, or if you have to be there within the given timeframe to retrieve yours? I understand there's only one chest and everytime a new reward is achieved, it's loot gets replaced, so people who play the game often will get more unique items?

Thanks Scot. You rock.

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 18:59
Excellent to hear there are crazy difficult challenges, Scot. I do love those :)

Are there also different difficulty settings in the game options?

MeaganMarie
25th Nov 2014, 19:01
Another question from Facebook! "What's the penalty for death if you're having fun trolling each other?"

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 19:03
Hopefully there's still time - just wondering if these community rewards will be available for "late adopters" of the game, or if you have to be there within the given timeframe to retrieve yours? I understand there's only one chest and everytime a new reward is achieved, it's loot gets replaced, so people who play the game often will get more unique items?

Thanks Scot. You rock.

That's a great point... some events only last for a few days, for example, and similarly their reward may only be available for a limited time to collect; then it's hidden away again. Other challenges may go on for weeks and once accomplished, their reward is ever-present so anyone can collect it whenever they join into the game down the road. In general, we want to have the reward tied to the event/challenge where possible so active players who are contributing to the community can get the reward quickly; but we also want to give everyone a chance to share in the events and rewards. Some events we will run multiple times at varying intervals so it may be one week in January, then off; then on again in February, etc.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 19:05
Another question from Facebook! "What's the penalty for death if you're having fun trolling each other?"

hahaha well, you do lose some points upon death so there is a cost that can impact your overall standing at the end of a tomb and will affect certain challenges in specific tombs that require you to NOT die all the way through! But the unseen cost is you will likely repay your 'partner' with the same courtesy so violence provokes violence. In general, we reward co-op play as that's what we're looking for... but we don't stand in the way of players making up their own rules.

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 19:11
Excellent to hear there are crazy difficult challenges, Scot. I do love those :)

Are there also different difficulty settings in the game options?

We've built LC:TOO to adjust dynamically based on the number of players playing - so more enemies, tougher challenges that change the puzzles depending on player count, etc. We also have some unique live-challenges players can opt-into once we've activated them ... but we'll talk about that in the future.

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 19:12
Thanks, Scot. And thanks folks for the questions. That wraps up this Q&A. We'll leave this thread open for discussions if you guys want to discuss Scot's answers :)

a_big_house
25th Nov 2014, 19:14
Thanks Scot!

Scotchmo
25th Nov 2014, 19:14
Thanks everyone for taking the time to chat today! Meagan keeps a very close-eye on all forums and questions and if you have anything else you want answered, please let us know and I'm sure she'll get the answers out of us! Please keep your suggestions and recommendations coming as we listen to our fans and want to make the best games possible for all of you! We look forward to you enjoying Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris soon and we'll see you online!

Rai
25th Nov 2014, 19:17
Thanks very much, Scot :)

Blacktron
25th Nov 2014, 19:20
Thanks and good luck to you and your colleagues at Crystal Dynamics :)

henrique7cunha
25th Nov 2014, 19:31
Hello I wonder what is the resolution of the games and the fps rate?

Driber
25th Nov 2014, 19:36
I'm afraid this session has ended, henrique7cunha. We'll have another Q&A up soon!