PDA

View Full Version : Lore inside the game

Ryujen
18th Nov 2014, 20:55
Hi guys! I'm new on these forums and I really like how friendly everyone is, so I wanted to share a suggestion if that's okay with you :D

I've been really enjoying this game but I noticed there's this thing i'm missing a lot. A few years back when I played Age of Mythology I would see something that would spark my curiosity like a new unit or character being presented (ofc i'm talking about the campaign) and I would pause the game just to read about it on the lore section. When i'm done playing a match in Nosgoth sometimes I feel the urge to read about something some character may have said, and instead of alt-tabbing and google it, it would be awesome to check it inside the game. Like what is the Ironguard? Where do they come from? Who is Turel?...etc.

Destiny had a bunch of interesting lore made but they put it in a separate app called the Grimoire, and the funny thing is that inside the game all that lore is nowhere to be found! I mean, what were they thinking? :O

The world of Nosgoth is big, and there's still a lot of things to be told about it. What do you think?

Also those amazing blog-posts could go inside the game too :)

FearGhoul
18th Nov 2014, 23:02
I like this idea. Some sort of encyclopedia explaining characters like Kain, Raziel, Turel, Dumah, and others, descriptions of areas mentioned, the history of the classes. Not that it would have to have everything about the setting in there, just what's relevant to the game and to give new people an idea of the setting, and to also let us know just what's up with the human classes.

MasterShuriko
18th Nov 2014, 23:02
Would be fun to "discover" pieces of lore. Putting together a History of the clans for playing with the different classes. This could be done with the humans aswell.

But the Lore of Nosgoth is MASSIVE. Then you have to take into the history of the games. "Blood Omen, Blood Omen 2, Legacy Of Kain Soul Reaver, Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver 2 , Legacy Of Kain Defiance." Ive been told theres even Comics strips and toys wich come with their litle print of "lore" aswell.

Square Enix! GImme the game Ive been waiting for since 2004 when Defiance was released!! What happens after Kain and Raziel were united and Kain looks out of the Citadel!
I wanna knooooooooooow! :poke:

GenFeelGood
18th Nov 2014, 23:16
More insight into the clans and factions is definitely something I support; but in terms of relevance for this particular game you really need only to know what happened in Blood Omen and just the opening to Soul Reaver, not the game itself. The rest of it has no real impact on the era this game occurs in, just focus on the clans, factions, along with their interactions and conflicts over the course of the war.

Jallford
19th Nov 2014, 00:10
A lot of this is included in the Armory section of the game if you click on each class. It explains who the Ironguard are and more about the Turelim.

I think most of the lore is pretty well explained to be honest. Not too much information so as not to overwhelm people new to the series, but enough to understand the basics of what's happening.

Lord_Aevum
19th Nov 2014, 00:55
Destiny had a bunch of interesting lore made but they put it in a separate app called the Grimoire, and the funny thing is that inside the game all that lore is nowhere to be found! I mean, what were they thinking? :O

The world of Nosgoth is big, and there's still a lot of things to be told about it. What do you think?

Also those amazing blog-posts could go inside the game too :)

I strongly agree with this! Lore means little when it's tucked away in old posts on the official website, completely inaccessible in the actual game and product itself, where the target audience tends to congregate.

FearGhoul
19th Nov 2014, 04:08
More insight into the clans and factions is definitely something I support; but in terms of relevance for this particular game you really need only to know what happened in Blood Omen and just the opening to Soul Reaver, not the game itself. The rest of it has no real impact on the era this game occurs in, just focus on the clans, factions, along with their interactions and conflicts over the course of the war.

Exactly. Just the information that would be directly relevant, but not so much that it would overwhelm people new to the setting. We wouldn't exactly need to have Elzevir mentioned in there for example.

Ryujen
23rd Nov 2014, 14:24
I'm glad everyone is finding the suggestion interesting and helpful. Hopefully someone from the developer team can give us some insight on this.

On a side note, I just familiarised myself with the story behind the development of this game and I'm very happy that it came through despite all the obstacles. Go team Psyonix! :)

Gugulug5000
24th Jan 2015, 23:38
So I know people have been wanting a lore section for a while now, and I fully agree with them, but I just got to thinking that maybe a lore or art section could be implemented into the game using a sort of unlockable feature. They could be relatively common item drops at the end of matches that unlock some portion of lore and/or art. They could also be sold in the store for gold, but they would be nice, little rewards at the end of a match.

I understand some people might want to read the lore without having to unlock it all, that's why I also suggested art drops. That way lore could still be read at the player's leisure, but there could still be drops. Even if my suggestion doesn't get used, I would still love to see some new art regarding some of the older lore topics that come from the rest of the games.

Vampmaster
24th Jan 2015, 23:49
I once suggested commendation letters from the Lieutenants to go with each class's 5 level rewards. They'd include a couple of paragraphs about battles they once fought in to encourage your efforts or something. There was also a mention of a map going in to the game ages ago. It would be cool if you could click on the different tow, see your stats and overall global stats for it and read about the lore and stuff.

Gugulug5000
25th Jan 2015, 00:12
I once suggested commendation letters from the Lieutenants to go with each class's 5 level rewards. They'd include a couple of paragraphs about battles they once fought in to encourage your efforts or something. There was also a mention of a map going in to the game ages ago. It would be cool if you could click on the different tow, see your stats and overall global stats for it and read about the lore and stuff.

I actually remember you posting that, and I liked the idea. I'm more referring to a general kind of lore thing though where they might have different entries on the different vampire clans, their lieutenants, the cities and places of Nosgoth, and important events that people may not understand without playing the other games (Raziel's execution, Kain's refusal to sacrifice himself, etc). They could even use the lore segments they've already written for Nosgoth, and I would love to see some art of some of the things they've talked about.

IKathaarI
6th Apr 2015, 06:43
What I mean by this is, wouldn't it be cool if all the lore that has been fleshed out through the lore blogs for Nosgoth were in the game:

Every 5 levels in a class, you get a piece of their lore unlocked that is explained through a little cutscene, the cutscene could use ingame graphics, or it could be like an animated graphic novel that's narrated by the class that the lore is about.

Every 5 'total levels' (the main level for us, as the player) we would unlock another piece of lore for Nosgoth as a whole (the different locations, backstory on the lieutenants, Kain, etc)

This alone would satiate us lore-hounds and add a level of depth to the game, better explaining why these vampires are so...different from vampires we're used to seeing in media, and how all this came to be (for those with little knowledge of LoK)

5hjack
6th Apr 2015, 10:13
You should check out the pitch I just made for a campaign mode (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=11341&page=16&p=2117620#post2117620). The two ideas could work very well together - an Encyclopaedia Nosgothica unlocked by levelling up and other milestones alongside a campaign mode, fully integrate all aspects of the lore. Some of the requirements for encyclopaedia entries could even be tied to playing on certain maps in a campaign mode etc.

ParadoxicalOmen
7th Apr 2015, 01:31
This reminds me of a suggestion i made a while back :)

I suggested adding an "Extras" tab on the main window...
And this tab would have the story written in the blog post ( http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7221 ).
So essentially, it would be a place ingame that you could read about the lore.

I think we could go further and add also a general description about each lieutenant (Raziel, Turel, Dumah, Rahab, Zephon and Melchiah).

Ygdrasel
7th Apr 2015, 02:25
This reminds me of a suggestion i made a while back :)

I suggested adding an "Extras" tab on the main window...
And this tab would have the story written in the blog post ( http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7221 ).
So essentially, it would be a place ingame that you could read about the lore.

I think we could go further and add also a general description about each lieutenant (Raziel, Turel, Dumah, Rahab, Zephon and Melchiah).

I think we can be more inventive than "Extras". :p Otherwise, great idea.