PDA

View Full Version : Hunter bow analysis (maths)

NejTilSvampe
15th Nov 2014, 21:00
Fair warning: ITT we perform maths!!

Hi guys, first post here.

Introduction
I was listening to the stream www.twitch.tv/bitey, as I regularly do (Feel free to stop by and say Hi to BiteyBot). Bitey and Petire were discussing the efficiency of the Multibow in particular. I decided I would make a comprehensive chart so that we can actually reference some hard numbers rather than appeal to intuition or experiences.

I have shown the chart (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SzTHhRDVLMFa0xNVhhs-uTFHk8vafl4FuPUjSwFeIG8/edit#gid=0) to some people, and some of them were a bit confused or sceptical about the numbers. So this post is an attempt to:

1) Adequately explain my methodology.
2) Allow you guys to help me find any potential errors.
3) Convince you that my numbers are correct.
4) Provide this information to anyone who might find it useful.
5) Just sharing a fun little math exercise with whomever might appreciate it.

This is the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SzTHhRDVLMFa0xNVhhs-uTFHk8vafl4FuPUjSwFeIG8/edit#gid=0) in question. Please, feel free to edit some of the values to see how the sheet interacts.

Keep in mind: Your accuracies with each bow are likely not the same, as they all have different spreads.

Many people when comparing weapons, simply start off by calculating the damage per second (DPS) of the weapons.

I'd just like to start off by saying that for most purposes this is a good approximations. By no means am I saying that it is necessary to take the math any further than that. But for the sake of the exercise we will in this paper - and some of you may or may not find some of the findings here interesting or surprising.

I am continuing my post in this google document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aCpNcNgs-Fw_5514G238fFHQjEWuJcCtkd6vFYx29SY/edit#) - as it is far more convenient to write math equations in.

mauvo58
15th Nov 2014, 21:47
Nice spreadsheet. :-)

I've not checked your formulae, but something that immediately stood out - how is that in "Time to kill chart - Not accounting for reload" poop thrower kills quickest for the Deceiver, Reaver and Sentinel? The number for Tyrant looks right, so I guess there's an error in the other 3 cells somewhere.

NejTilSvampe
15th Nov 2014, 22:19
@Mauvo58 thank you for that question.

If you look at the poop throwers "Dmg per clip" it says 2520. A Tyrant has 1350 - so a poop thrower (gawd this name...), obviously has enough damage to kill a tyrant in one clip. However, the accuracy is set to 50% - so you are effectively trying to deal 1350*2 = 2700 damage. The clip is not large enough in the poop thrower to deal that damage, that's why the reload time needs to be added there which is the highest reload time of any of the guns.

Similarly if you look at the other vampires, they have 1050 (1000 for reaver). 1050*2 = 2100 < 2520 - therefore the poopthrower does not need to reload at 50% accuracy, which is why you see it with a lower number than any of the others.

Hopefully that answered your question :)

mauvo58
15th Nov 2014, 22:39
Yep, I'm with you when you account for reloads, but the table has the heading "Time to kill chart - Not accounting for reload".

NejTilSvampe
15th Nov 2014, 22:49
Yep, I'm with you when you account for reloads, but the table has the heading "Time to kill chart - Not accounting for reload".

Yes I can see how that is confusing. This is my lack of vocabulary shining through I guess.

What I'm referring to here (explained in detail in the google doc), is the reload after the fight so you are combat ready again. I'm not exempting reloads that are necessary to finish the target in that section - only the last reload after the fight is over.

Edit: I renamed the header to "Time to kill chart - Not Combat ready". Hopefully this makes more sense.

mauvo58
16th Nov 2014, 11:44
Ahh, thank you. :-)

I have now read you Google Doc carefully and left a few comments.

mauvo58
16th Nov 2014, 12:30
I added an extra sheet "Accuracy Chart" to see how time-to-kill varies against accuracy. I've only done vs tyrant and Reaver so far.

NejTilSvampe
16th Nov 2014, 13:38
I added an extra sheet "Accuracy Chart" to see how time-to-kill varies against accuracy. I've only done vs tyrant and Reaver so far.

Wow thanks man, that looks sweet, with conditional formatting and everything :D and special thank you for the corrections in the google doc.

mauvo58
16th Nov 2014, 13:48
I cheated and did the conditional formatting by hand. :o

Big takeaway for me, according to this model, multibow or poop thrower are best most of time. I'll be experimenting a bit with my Hunter. :-)

EDIT: Oops, I meant multibow not repeater!

NejTilSvampe
16th Nov 2014, 16:09
I cheated and did the conditional formatting by hand. :o

Big takeaway for me, according to this model, repeater or poop thrower are best most of time. I'll be experimenting a bit with my Hunter. :-)

I think you mean the multibow, not the repeater?

In any case I just want to stress, those results can be very misleading. The multibow has a strange spread, so it's unlikely that a person would have the same accuracy with the multibow as with the other bows. That's the reason why I added separate accuracies for each bow. Moreover, the multibow only has 7 burst shots - meaning that any shot you miss with the multibow is punished much harder than the other bows. Especially since it has the lowest damage per clip.

So in order to correctly make use of this spreadsheet, one must be very honest with themselves and apply realistic accuracies with each bow. But if you are honest with yourselves, I believe it can be a valuable tool for analyzing these bows. :)

(I'm addressing this in general, not just at you mauvo58).

NejTilSvampe
19th Nov 2014, 02:02
Made some changes in the formula and sheet.

Great idea with making scripts mauvo58! So much easier to edit the sheet now. I'm sorry if I broke any of yours.

zzott93
11th Dec 2014, 00:16
This is really useful. Me and my team are currently discussing our lineups and this is of huge help, cheers!