PDA

View Full Version : Hits not registering

Wolf_the_Legend
10th Nov 2014, 07:10
Hello,

this bug is in the game for a long time now.

If you would throw a sticky nade on somebody or somebody would throw a sticky nade on you the nade will deal no damage. This happens kinda often.

This needs to be fixed.

Shikei001
10th Nov 2014, 08:11
+1 to that xDDD rly annoying if u manage to place the nade on the enemy (100HP away from death) right befor u die... see it exploding... and just see him walk away xDD

LudicSavant
16th Nov 2014, 05:02
As expected from a beta, Nosgoth has a lot of bugs flying around, but there's one that truly impacts gameplay on a regular basis:

Alchemist grenades sometimes do zero damage on direct hits (e.g. the grenade literally stops in midair from hitting the enemy, explodes in their face, and does not do any damage). This usually seems to happen when an enemy is transitioning between states, such as beginning a roll, though I'm not sure exactly what causes it. Either way, this happens with alarming frequency and can make or break encounters for an alchemist, and I've heard many people complain about it, so I thought it was worth reporting.

I just hope the devs are or become aware of this and a fix is implemented before the beta is out.

DesolatedMaggot
16th Nov 2014, 15:34
I see this almost every time I play Alchemist. I've even seen it happen with Sticky Grenade on Hunter, Grenade sticks to target but deals no damage.

RainaAudron
16th Nov 2014, 17:42
Yeah, same here.. Just seen in it happen to me in ESL match, not happy about it at all...

DesolatedMaggot
17th Nov 2014, 00:20
Also I've seen this on the reverse as well, grenades that miss me but still deal damage.

Slightly offtopic, I even have a video I saved of me killing a Sentinel as Alchemist. The grenade hits and kills him, and continues to pass right through him, exploding a few moments later as its timer expired. My friend says he saw the exact same thing on his end.

LudicSavant
17th Nov 2014, 03:19
Yeah, same here.. Just seen in it happen to me in ESL match, not happy about it at all...

Definitely. This bug easily has more impact on my matches than any other. It's at a point where I fear that if it isn't addressed, it will undermine the competitive viability of the game.

LudicSavant
17th Nov 2014, 03:21
This seems to happen with alchemist grenades as well.

-Shiro-
21st Nov 2014, 12:20
Yes, and this is one of the most difficult alchemists weapons to handle, so if it worked fine, it would be nice.

PencileyePirate
21st Nov 2014, 13:26
Yes, and this is one of the most difficult alchemists weapons to handle, so if it worked fine, it would be nice.

It's not just the viscous that's affected ... all alchemist cannons do this from time to time.

MasterShuriko
21st Nov 2014, 20:25
Can testify to this aswell. Been throwing sticky grenades that stick to the face of the vamps that "should" result in a kill since they had so litle Hp left but find it doing no dmg at all.

-Shiro-
21st Nov 2014, 23:12
Of course, I never said the opposite, but thank you sir.

TendrilSavant
22nd Nov 2014, 01:52
So, I just came from a few matches where I was experiencing this. Alchemist grenades had no effect when hitting during a roll, and knives were a dud at least once.

I was thinking that maybe lag or bad framerates where the cause of my hits not registering recently, but I just upgraded my CPU and mobo and this has become very noticeable.

Sluagh
26th Nov 2014, 09:55
This happened to me as a Reaver last night. Got stickied but no damage taken. Should have it on Noscam.

cmstache
26th Nov 2014, 16:00
This bug has always annoyed me. It's funny, but then you realize that even though it deals no damage it still deals splash damage to the user. T_T

LudicSavant
3rd Dec 2014, 07:06
Bump. Any word on this issue? Seeing my grenades explode in people's faces and deal no damage (or even explode in midair as a result of a no-damage direct hit and damage *me* with the explosion!) is endlessly frustrating, and occurs regularly with a mere 12 ping and a rock-steady 60FPS framerate.

FireWorks_
12th Jan 2015, 22:08
Another of the no-reg problems. Sticky this time

Psyonix_Corey
12th Jan 2015, 23:01
This is high on the fixing list, but it's a complex problem that may take some time to decide on the right course of action for.

What we THINK you guys are seeing is a desync problem where from your POV, the projectile has stuck to someone, but on the server you actually missed. So you see it explode "on them", while for them (and the server) it went past them and exploded harmlessly on some world geometry.

Ideally we would implement more clientside authority to projectile weapons, similar to how the instant trace crossbows, bows, and pistols work. In the short term a fix might be to simply not have projectiles on clients deciding whether to stick to things or not because it's misleading.

HexMee
13th Jan 2015, 16:18
EDIT: I see where you're getting at with moving my post to this topic, but it doesn't belong here in my opinion, in the clip I'm using heavy pistols that has nothing to do with projectile based attacks, and neither does the info that from the enemy POV I wasn't shooting at all, shots weren't simply "going through" him, I just never fired my weapon according to them.

Okay so this has happened a few times, I havn't been able to recreate it consistently BUT I managed to get it on recording during my stream session yesterday.

Basically all the times i've encountered this issue it's been while shooting a deceiver.

http://www.twitch.tv/hexmeh/c/5871757 (it's a 10 second clip) Here you can see me hit 4-5 shots on a deceiver that is obviously casting his dominate mind, you can obviously see and hear that my shots connect because of the sound it makes and the X in the middle of my crosshair after each hit, his health bar even pops up. Yet the deceiver takes no damage and finishes his dominate mind cast in peace.

When I encountered this bug the game before this I managed to talk to the deceiver in question and he was puzzled because from his point of view I never fired a shot a him, I was just "looking at him" without moving. In this occasion I started shooting a deceiver that had shroud on and he was eating a corpse, i fired 6 stormbow shots into his body and I saw the arrows stick to his torso and eventually explode (even dealing self-damage to me) as he turned towards me and chopped me up, despite this he took zero damage from all my shots.

It happens rarely enough to not be a serious issue for me, but it's still very annoying when it does happen.

MasterShuriko
13th Jan 2015, 16:35
EDIT: I see where you're getting at with moving my post to this topic, but it doesn't belong here in my opinion, in the clip I'm using heavy pistols that has nothing to do with projectile based attacks, and neither does the info that from the enemy POV I wasn't shooting at all, shots weren't simply "going through" him, I just never fired my weapon according to them.

Okay so this has happened a few times, I havn't been able to recreate it consistently BUT I managed to get it on recording during my stream session yesterday.

Basically all the times i've encountered this issue it's been while shooting a deceiver.

http://www.twitch.tv/hexmeh/c/5871757 (it's a 10 second clip) Here you can see me hit 4-5 shots on a deceiver that is obviously casting his dominate mind, you can obviously see and hear that my shots connect because of the sound it makes and the X in the middle of my crosshair after each hit, his health bar even pops up. Yet the deceiver takes no damage and finishes his dominate mind cast in peace.

When I encountered this bug the game before this I managed to talk to the deceiver in question and he was puzzled because from his point of view I never fired a shot a him, I was just "looking at him" without moving. In this occasion I started shooting a deceiver that had shroud on and he was eating a corpse, i fired 6 stormbow shots into his body and I saw the arrows stick to his torso and eventually explode (even dealing self-damage to me) as he turned towards me and chopped me up, despite this he took zero damage from all my shots.

It happens rarely enough to not be a serious issue for me, but it's still very annoying when it does happen.

never seen that bug b4 though

Wolf_the_Legend
13th Jan 2015, 17:19
This is high on the fixing list, but it's a complex problem that may take some time to decide on the right course of action for.

What we THINK you guys are seeing is a desync problem where from your POV, the projectile has stuck to someone, but on the server you actually missed. So you see it explode "on them", while for them (and the server) it went past them and exploded harmlessly on some world geometry.

Ideally we would implement more clientside authority to projectile weapons, similar to how the instant trace crossbows, bows, and pistols work. In the short term a fix might be to simply not have projectiles on clients deciding whether to stick to things or not because it's misleading.

so ... its also the same problem when you see a nade stuck on you and it deals no damage to you?

Psyonix_Corey
13th Jan 2015, 18:00
so ... its also the same problem when you see a nade stuck on you and it deals no damage to you?

Yes, most likely.

FireWorks_
13th Jan 2015, 18:30
I asked this already in another thread related to "abnormal behaviour" of the game. Any chance we see a toggle for "stat net" implemented to check for ourselves if we are likely affected by bad network spikes? Maybe even along with "stat FPS". These are things that I got enabled on each game I play online and I doubt I am the only one in a "competitive" game like this.

despair0089
17th Mar 2015, 11:10
This happened twice, I threw a sticky at a tyrant then nade sticked and exploded but no damage was caused. Both times were on the tyrant. Has anyone else got this bug? I was pinging 200+ at the time so idk if it was lag or not

RainaAudron
17th Mar 2015, 11:20
Sounds like the lag is the issue here. Sometimes you may see you made a hit but in reality it was nowhere near... :/

-Konf-
17th Mar 2015, 12:46
Sadly, that's lag for you. Sometimes things appear on your screen in one way, when in reality server has handled it quite differently.

I, when playing with 200 ping once, was on the opposite side of the story. I was fighting a 1v1 against a Hunter and he threw out a grenade. On my screen it missed, as I could see it on the floor, which is why I decided to pursue my duel thinking that I was out of danger. As it turns out, the Hunter actually never missed and I was exploded to bits a second later.

You will also notice your Vampire attacks make noise and you will see blood, but there will be no damage registered. This game can be quite frustrating with ping, that's just something you have to tolerate and get used to. Even though you'll find plenty of people who are strongly convinced that lag is an advantage.

WraithShadow13
20th Mar 2015, 06:57
This has been happening a lot to me with the flame thrower this week. I'm clearly hosing some one with fire, and they don't catch fire or take any damage. At first I figured cheats, but then it kept happening in different rounds after.

PencileyePirate
20th Mar 2015, 07:00
I think blaming lag for these kinds of hit detection issues is wrong. The problem happens far more often than in other (faster paced) games and isn't uncommon even when everyone seems to have a good connection.

This has been happening a lot to me with the flame thrower this week. I'm clearly hosing some one with fire, and they don't catch fire or take any damage. At first I figured cheats, but then it kept happening in different rounds after.

I think flamethrower in particular might be a different issue. I've noticed on several occasions that the flame animation seems to extend farther than the actual 'hit area.'

Harmaatukka
22nd Mar 2015, 22:34
Rather than making a new topic I will report here that this has been especially horrible for me today, direct hits not registering at all, airstrikes stuck on enemies exploding for 0 damage, punctures going through enemies. Piercing pistols were most interesting, I hit a stand still tyrant 7 times for no damage, the health bar kept blinking on and off for the dot damage, but he still took 0 damage and just continued his merry way like a boss with no health loss. I simply can't play right now, looking at my stats it looks like my accuracy is not going down even though I apparently miss everything.

PencileyePirate
23rd Mar 2015, 00:39
For the record ... vampire hit detection tends to be MUCH worse than humans'.

I consider myself extremely lucky if I make an entire match without several melees sliding off enemies' faces point blank. I know they're colliding because the enemy player model prevents me from lunging forward but the hits aren't doing damage. The other day I had three non-registered Tyrant melees to a human IN A CORNER. It should have been impossible for the hits to miss but nevertheless all 3 hits glanced off the enemy's face as if they were made of ice.

I checked our latency after this particular occasion and both myself and the enemy were below 60ms ping.

_Kine_
23rd Mar 2015, 07:10
I play at +260 ms

This thread amuse me.

Ghosthree3
30th Mar 2015, 14:42
I don't know when it started or what's causing it, perhaps I just notice it more these days, but over the last month or so I've noticed more and more things that are hitting, not.

This not only happens to my own attacks but to others as well, by that I mean I can SEE other people's attacks not dealing any damage when they should. For the purposes of this post I'll talk about things I see other people's attacks not my own, this means that the client - me - getting desynced is not the issue, because the server itself is telling me that this happened.

I frequently see the following, grenades sticking to an enemy - both from the Sentinal grenade and the sticky grenade launcher - going off and dealing zero damage. I myself have had both happen, it's very strange, I've also had a Sentinal grenade stick to me then only take 50 damage or so from it. I asked someone if I did indeed get the grenade on me and they told me I had.

The grenade launcher bug is well known however not only do my own grenades often deal zero damage, I have face tanked many grenades for no damage as well. As have I seen others be directly hit by them and take no damage.

I have seen Sentinals fly right through people during their pick up, yes they were in the correct stage of the pickup to actually get it, unless the scream sound was desynced from the ability perhaps.

All Vampire melee seem to randomly deal zero damage at times. Today I saw a Tyrant pick up and throw someone at a wall and follow by a fully charged melee attack, the person was well and truly up by the time they were hit - not that that would matter, they would still take damage even if reduced - the Tyrant hit the human with a crunching sound, the human's health bar lit up above their head but with no health lost. The Tyrant told me he received no indication of damage either despite the same things happening for him.

It happens with other melee as well but Tyrant seems more common. I can think of many times where I have hit someone personally as a vampire and seen their health bar come up even though they didn't take any damage, however this was myself not another player from my own perspective.

I've also been hit in the face with a Vanguard axe and taken no damage, then continued to run around with an axe sticking out of my face.

In fact the only things in the game that seem to have no hit problems are the hitscan weapons, and even those at times have been questionable, not enough for me to definitively say they failed though. Everything else in the game seems to have a 5% chance to just not do anything.

IKathaarI
30th Mar 2015, 19:26
Ive sat on a roof, in pounce position with a very eagar alchemist launching grenades at me and they'll go off right beside me and I won't take damage.

kLauE187
25th Apr 2015, 01:45
atleast 3 100% hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86LJa0mUJw

chriZor
25th Apr 2015, 07:41
atleast 3 100% hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86LJa0mUJw

i've got the same problems with this smokes

Blackatana1
25th Apr 2015, 14:53
I have long known that humans that are prone cant be hurt by vamp melee attacks. I.E. from tryant throw or sent dropping. You have to wait till they stand up to hit them.

I have noticed that the same is true for vamps. If a vamp is knocked down by a vanguard shield or the scout bow any shots on the vamp while its on the ground appear to not hit.

Is that intended? No damage pops up and they appear to be immune until they stand up. Is this a hit reg issue or intentional immunity?

DesolatedMaggot
25th Apr 2015, 17:41
Shots will still hit a knocked-down enemy, but they only take something like 70% of the damage while standing back up.