PDA

View Full Version : ESL Rules and Changes

RazielWarmonic
5th Nov 2014, 17:50
In this thread I will try to update with new or existing ESL rules for Nosgoth. I will only "bump" this thread if there are new rules introduced/changed. I will not answer questions about rules here. Please private message me if you have any questions, thanks.

You can find all these rules here on the ESL website (http://play.eslgaming.com/nosgoth/global/), where you can also sign up for cups!

Existing Rules:

Mode: Best of two rounds
Each team has to play once Human and Vampires.
The higher seed can choose their starting side 1st.
Private Match Settings: 4on4 - Team Deathmatch - 30 Kills - 30 mins time
Roof Camping is strictly forbidden. (3 mins time limit)
Tournaments are region locked.

Explanation on why you can't catch replays/casts yet: Simply put, there is no spectator mode. We will not upload noscam files either, as this requires contacting at least one player each match and uploading these somewhere. We only request these files if there is a dispute. If you want these files, you can contact someone on the team and ask them to archive and upload their noscam files. It is near impossible to cast the game in it's current state due to no UI, healthbars, cooldowns, etc. In the future I or someone else will be casting games as soon as spectator mode is out. Thanks for understanding.

Changelog:

11/11/2014 (Tuesday):Tournaments are now region locked once again due to overwhelming feedback from the community. This will be permanent.
11/8/2014 (Saturday): Tournaments are NO LONGER region locked! NA can play on EU and EU can play on NA! Have fun guys!
11/5/2014 (Wednesday): Tournaments are region locked and will follow ESL globals rules. What this means is that an NA team may NOT play in EU and vise versa. This rule was implemented due to no lag compensation and targets being difficult to hit.

Thanks everyone for being understanding.
-Warmonic

JohnSGalt
5th Nov 2014, 18:22
I don't fully understand what roof camping is. Also wouldn't some better rules be to disallow weapons with bonuses or something?

Petire
5th Nov 2014, 22:41
We have been in talks about only allowing Vanilla weapons and primaries for vampires. The major problem with that at the moment is that we have no way to enforce that because we have no spectator or admin slots in the lobbies.

Roof camping is really going to be a case by case basis as there is no real way to define it so that it fits every situation. Simply put since we do not currently have a mode that forces fights, we are attempting to force fights so players do not stall the game.

BR0sephStalin
6th Nov 2014, 16:59
Good luck enforcing the roof camping rule, and even if you can it doesn't solve the problem. Consider adopting a simplified variation to my TDM comp scoring suggestions.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=16812

Blastin_Foolz
6th Nov 2014, 17:43
Roof Camping is strictly forbidden. (3 mins time limit)

Thanks for the laugh, I needed one this morning.

SaintSugar
7th Nov 2014, 17:52
I'm a little dissapointed with region lock especially so early, there were no real issues between NA and EU fights and calling it, because of no compensation and targets being difficult to hit is just something unacceptable and whoever said that should rethink, why he couldn't hit instead of blaming ping difference. Even with 400-600 ping i expierienced in fight, there was no real problem with striking target (harder was to dodge only and move around). Anyway as this is Global ESL rule there nothing probably we can argue about. Just hoped it will happen much, much later, because in current state competetive scene of Nosgoth is rather small and region lock can change everything in drastic, unfortunate way. If there is any option to reverse region lock change, that would be amazing.

PS. Good luck to anyone participating at ESL cups.

Raziel220
8th Nov 2014, 13:44
I'm a little dissapointed with region lock especially so early, there were no real issues between NA and EU fights and calling it, because of no compensation and targets being difficult to hit is just something unacceptable and whoever said that should rethink, why he couldn't hit instead of blaming ping difference. Even with 400-600 ping i expierienced in fight, there was no real problem with striking target (harder was to dodge only and move around). Anyway as this is Global ESL rule there nothing probably we can argue about. Just hoped it will happen much, much later, because in current state competetive scene of Nosgoth is rather small and region lock can change everything in drastic, unfortunate way. If there is any option to reverse region lock change, that would be amazing.

PS. Good luck to anyone participating at ESL cups.

I only hope that if this means that LatinAmerica won't be playing in USA servers during the cup, at least, they open the Brasilian server for us to play... otherwise, we will be out of the tournament, since we don't have a server of our own :/ and that would make me very, very sad :'(

RazielWarmonic
9th Nov 2014, 02:08
UPDATE 11/8/2014 (Saturday)

Tournaments are NO LONGER region locked! NA can play on EU and EU can play on NA! Have fun guys!

Good luck!
-Warmonic

The_Hylden
9th Nov 2014, 17:23
This is a one-time warning for all going forward: you may post with criticisms, suggestions, and feedback *in a constructive way.* Everyone here knows what that means. No-one here is under the age of 10, I imagine... It means without insults, cursing, shouting, ultimatums, etc.

The next person who posts in the wrong manner is going to find themselves infracted.

Cary on.

theMachineGun
9th Nov 2014, 17:30
Just saying that when there are money prizes you're going to get reactions as results of huge decisions like this. I've seen scenes pretty much die 'cause of disputes like this and that's not an "ultimatum", it's a fact.

The_Hylden
9th Nov 2014, 17:36
You can state your criticisms without "do such and such, or else face the consequences." No post will be deleted with a simple statement that you disagree with the move, or it's a bad idea. Again, people know how to word things appropriately.

theMachineGun
9th Nov 2014, 17:44
You can state your criticisms without "do such and such, or else face the consequences." No post will be deleted with a simple statement that you disagree with the move, or it's a bad idea. Again, people know how to word things appropriately.
I am in no position to make such threats, I was simply expressing my opinion on the matter based on my previous experiences. But please, let's not discuss this here.

TheLegendHawk
9th Nov 2014, 17:48
unistalled game, installing when change in mind about the rules:)

Saturnity
10th Nov 2014, 18:23
unistalled game, installing when change in mind about the rules:)

Why do you think high ping is anything but a huge disadvantage?

--Ram--
11th Nov 2014, 06:57
Why do you think high ping is anything but a huge disadvantage?

Exactly. Anyone who has played with high ping would know how much it gimps you. I have never found any high ping guy harder to hit than usual. It is nothing but a disadvantage.

mauvo58
11th Nov 2014, 11:37
In the EU competition both teams in the final had high pings. Stealthy Green Toupees who are based in the states and Hubris who had pings of 100 or more. I know it's hardly scientific, but that suggests a high ping isn't a significant disadvantage. I'd expect a high ping is a disadvantage, it certainly was in CS, but I guess it depends on the specific network code.

OnlyLogic
11th Nov 2014, 14:29
Regarding ping........ I've rarely had an issue. A disadvantage, maybe, but one that can be countered through the use of alternating servers.

Having said that, I really love the discussion on rules and I really hope the devs are listening as this could be an easy way to balance your game.

Roof camping? If vampires are ahead and humans don't know how to deal, serves them right! If vampires really want to stall, they wouldn't roof camp, they'd just run around in circles.

RazielWarmonic
11th Nov 2014, 20:41
UPDATE: 11/11/2014 (Tuesday)

Tournaments are now region locked once again due to overwhelming feedback from the community. This will be permanent.

Cheers,
-Warmonic

Hedgenok
15th Nov 2014, 05:22
RazielWarmonic, what about uploading noscam files of semifinals and final? Or twitch webcast?

RazielWarmonic
21st Nov 2014, 17:07
Added an explanation on why we don't own noscam files nor casting the matches.

PencileyePirate
22nd Nov 2014, 17:47

Please consider changing the rules to require replay upload, because that explanation is really just a glorified excuse.

maciek3000
23rd Nov 2014, 09:01

I don't think anyone is blaming you for not casting those games. However, there is for sure at least a bunch of people who would like to watch pro-games, even without casting or ui/other fancy things that come with it. How do you want to promote professional nosgoth scene if potential viewers are deprived of watching? As mentioned above, it should be taken into consideration that players would be required to post their replay files after their games.