PDA

View Full Version : Something's been bothering me about Rachel...

Wallflower90
8th Oct 2015, 16:36
...Her parents, or lack thereof.

I know that Chloe owned up to the majority of the missing posters, but it just strikes me as really weird that their child is missing, and yet Joyce (I think the conversation was when her and Max were making breakfast together) claimed that they were "in denial".

It comes across as really dismissive, especially when you don't hear them doing interviews on the TV/Radio. You'd think they'd have little snippets being played when Max walks past a TV/Radio. In a small town like Arcadia Bay, with not much going on outside the Prescott's influence, it wouldn't be particularly hard for them to put their faces out there and keep Rachel at the forefront of the media.

Whether they've been paid/intimidated to keep on the hush-hush by the Prescott's, or are being sent fake postcards from L.A. I don't know. I'm not even sure if I've got a theory here.

But yeah, like I said before, weird.

(I've not seen a discussion relating to this before, feel free to shut me up if there has been)

Xeva-q
8th Oct 2015, 16:44
I think that they just do not bothered.

Tataboj
8th Oct 2015, 20:28
Yeah. There are so many possibilities. Devs didn't implement Rachel's parents to the game though, so we can only speculate... :)

julietxjules
9th Oct 2015, 05:48
...Her parents, or lack thereof.

I know that Chloe owned up to the majority of the missing posters, but it just strikes me as really weird that their child is missing, and yet Joyce (I think the conversation was when her and Max were making breakfast together) claimed that they were "in denial".

It comes across as really dismissive, especially when you don't hear them doing interviews on the TV/Radio. You'd think they'd have little snippets being played when Max walks past a TV/Radio. In a small town like Arcadia Bay, with not much going on outside the Prescott's influence, it wouldn't be particularly hard for them to put their faces out there and keep Rachel at the forefront of the media.

Whether they've been paid/intimidated to keep on the hush-hush by the Prescott's, or are being sent fake postcards from L.A. I don't know. I'm not even sure if I've got a theory here.

But yeah, like I said before, weird.

(I've not seen a discussion relating to this before, feel free to shut me up if there has been)

Yes it is a little odd when you consider that there is not much publicity to help facilitate the whereabouts of the missing Rachel Amber; we have been shut out of that particular window - as I see it - for several reasons. The most important of these reasons is the fact that we must all learn about Rachel through the memory of Chloe, Frank, and all the students at Blackwell who knew her at the appropriate times to further develop the plot and deepen the mystery. Her parent’s actions or point of view in the matter are not necessary or essential for us to know; the game focuses mainly with how Chloe deals and comes to terms with the situation with some timely help from Max.

Parents have not been allowed to physically take part in this game or to stamp their authority on their children - the exception to this, of course, is Joyce and William. Their presence is deemed vitally important to the story as a whole because we get to see the family dynamic as it once was, without this we could not truly understand the emotional values that drive Chloe each and every day which have been instrumental in defining the young woman she has become.

Parents in general have been reduced to token representation; a text here and there, the odd letter or two, even an email. We know that Max has loving parents who keep in touch with her, but it is always kept at a distance so it will not interfere too much with proceedings. It is enough to know that they are there - albeit in the background and gingerly being touched upon - but their presence is felt nonetheless. Nathan's father is treated pretty much the same way; texts, letters, or third party references, etc.

I wonder as to how Max's parents would react if they truly knew about their daughter's recent antics at Blackwell - and I am not referring to the letter that Principal Wells wrote. Most teenagers lead a double life: one that their parents are aware of, and the other kept hidden and secreted away save that it should be discovered what they really get up to when outside the influence of the home environment. The point is that Max's parents need not know about what she gets up to - it adds nothing of value to the story and, it is the same thing when applied to Rachel's parents - we only need to know that she has them. Rachel's relationship with her parents is unclear, we have not been privy to the family dynamic and so it has been rendered redundant to the story.

We must also assume that, six months ago when Rachel initially went missing, the authorities were duly notified and thus opened an investigative file regarding the disappearance; to think anything else would be unrealistic. We do not need to know the details or see any evidence of the investigation for proof that such a thing took place; there has been several discussions with the residents of Arcadia Bay where Rachel has been the topic of conversation. It is self evident then that Arcadia Bay is well aware of the disappearance of Rachel Amber, it may be old news in the town, but for Max it was new four days ago and has been the driving force in the entire game.

That's my take on it, anyway. :)