PDA

View Full Version : Improving league (and Nosgoth in general)

River_
7th Oct 2015, 19:09
Just a note beforehand: I have put this in another forum thread already, but it wasn't completely related to what that thread was about, so I decided it might as well be better to make this a new one.

So, there currently are a lot of problems with league. Lots of people that are not happy with the state it is currently in. However, I have seen some great ideas, both in the forums and by talking to people. So I just wanted to share some of these ideas, hoping they get enough attention so they (or at least some of them) might make it into the game.

- Increase the level requirements for league
Preferably to something like 35~ish. I know that everybody should get a fair chance, but the people below/around (not all, but 95%) just do not have the required experience to compete with this. And this would be fine, if it was a solo-game. But the fact is, is that they drag down the entire team.

- Remove lobbies before game starts.
This would instantly get rid of lobby dodging. I'll get to leaving games in the next '-', but this would prevent players from checking up on their team and the enemies team. The only way to get out of the game would be to leave, and that gives an even greater point loss then just plain losing. Speaking of game leaving:

- Games should close down after 1-2 minutes of imbalance.
And I am speaking of 3v4's. Its just.. no.. 9/10 times nobody is gentleman enough to sit out (which I can understand, it takes away from your fun/experience, and if your team loses, then that's 'dung'). I understand that it would be human feces if your game closed down because of a leaver. This would mean you won't get your points if you would lose/win. Since I believe that just giving points would only ruin it further (people leaving just to give everybody else more points), it might be an idea to add more points to the next game's bonus pool? For example, your game closes down, and you gain extra points next game if you lose/win, to compensate for the previous game.

- Get a report function... Ingame I mean.
There have been players out there, who I will not name, that I just plain refuse to play with. Why? Because they are either so toxic or left games so much (causing a 3v4 purposely), that I don't want to be on their team anymore. Also, this could possibly be a way to report teams that just sit after they won one round. So could you KINDLY put in a report function?

- Top players of losing team should get more points (in league).
Why? Because this would encourage people to actually try hard, even if they are losing. Also, this would kind of separate the good players from the 'not so good' players. For example, if somebody with 25 hours drags down your game, you would not be punished AS MUCH by it.

Anyway, enough ideas for now. Let me hear what you guys think about this, I would be glad to discus this with more people :D

Timpai
7th Oct 2015, 19:16
All of these ideas would improve my league experience. But not only for me I believe everyone will benefit from it. Lower level players will get matched with other lower level players so that they don't get demolished everygame which will probably make them ragequit after an X amount of those games. And high level players can be with the high levels so that they may improve and learn from eachother.
You've got my support

akr0nym
8th Oct 2015, 09:15
First of all, I really like these ideas and I hope that devs will take this thread into account (tho I read in another thread that they usually don't...), but:

Preferably to something like 35~ish. I know that everybody should get a fair chance, but the people below/around (not all, but 95%) just do not have the required experience to compete with this. And this would be fine, if it was a solo-game. But the fact is, is that they drag down the entire team.

I don't think they will make this happen. They want to increase the amount of players with new game modes and with this leagues with the prize money especially. And if new players cannot compete they gonna be angry :D
It'd bug me as well if I start to play a new game and cannot enter a specific game mode after a few hours of gameplay. Reaching lvl 35 takes some time and leagues gonna be over probably at the point you reach it. If you want to go with it, I'd lower the required level to 10-20 or so. So you can't straight join leagues but you can get there pretty fast if you really want to.

What they could do in addition:
Make one league for lvl50 players only and one for all other below. They could split the prize money for both leagues. (Or make no prize money at all..)

This would instantly get rid of lobby dodging. I'll get to leaving games in the next '-', but this would prevent players from checking up on their team and the enemies team. The only way to get out of the game would be to leave, and that gives an even greater point loss then just plain losing. Speaking of game leaving:

Yes. That's imo so easy to implement and it'd help a lot...

And I am speaking of 3v4's. Its just.. no.. 9/10 times nobody is gentleman enough to sit out (which I can understand, it takes away from your fun/experience, and if your team loses, then that's 'dung'). I understand that it would be human feces if your game closed down because of a leaver. This would mean you won't get your points if you would lose/win. Since I believe that just giving points would only ruin it further (people leaving just to give everybody else more points), it might be an idea to add more points to the next game's bonus pool? For example, your game closes down, and you gain extra points next game if you lose/win, to compensate for the previous game.

I guess it'd be enough to close the game as you said. That's necessary!
But: I think if someone leaves at some late point it's actually okay that the game goes on because it's probably lost already. First round: 30:9, 2nd round: guy on the other team leaves after 4:1 for your team. game closes.. :D At this point you have actually earned the win (and the points for it).

What I wonder:
Where is the difference between immediate reward of some little points (for all) and the one to reward a game later? If you wanted to quit playing after the specific match (that went into a 3vs4) you get nothing? The leaver gets the penalty anyway. I'd rather say leavers have to be punished harder. You could also ban leavers from leagues permanently (after x amount).

There have been players out there, who I will not name, that I just plain refuse to play with. Why? Because they are either so toxic or left games so much (causing a 3v4 purposely), that I don't want to be on their team anymore. Also, this could possibly be a way to report teams that just sit after they won one round. So could you KINDLY put in a report function?

So. much. this. Can't agree more.

Why? Because this would encourage people to actually try hard, even if they are losing. Also, this would kind of separate the good players from the 'not so good' players. For example, if somebody with 25 hours drags down your game, you would not be punished AS MUCH by it.

Wow that's a new one, haven't heard of this idea so far. I like it pretty much, it's fair and would add a nice effect even to a game that's already lost as you have explained above. :)

Anyway, enough ideas for now. Let me hear what you guys think about this, I would be glad to discus this with more people :D

Good job on summarazing all these ideas in one post.
Hope it will attract the attention that it deserves.

River_
8th Oct 2015, 12:45
I guess it'd be enough to close the game as you said. That's necessary!
But: I think if someone leaves at some late point it's actually okay that the game goes on because it's probably lost already. First round: 30:9, 2nd round: guy on the other team leaves after 4:1 for your team. game closes.. :D At this point you have actually earned the win (and the points for it).

The best idea I can come up with is that it should check the total points / points difference, and if that exceeds a certain amount, a surrender vote starts. This vote gives the 'winning' team like 3/4th of the points they would normally get for a win, and the losing team should get either no points, or very few. (I believe giving them -points because somebody left would just be an insult, causing people to hate the way it works even more)

What I wonder:
Where is the difference between immediate reward of some little points (for all) and the one to reward a game later? If you wanted to quit playing after the specific match (that went into a 3vs4) you get nothing? The leaver gets the penalty anyway. I'd rather say leavers have to be punished harder. You could also ban leavers from leagues permanently (after x amount).

Like mentioned just now, maybe a surrender option?

ParadoxicalOmen
8th Oct 2015, 19:52

No, this is something that the MM should be able to handle. Even though MM has improved, it still generates many unbalanced matches...In other words, don't punish new players because MM is bad...

I really don't know...may work. Personally, i'd prefer they let us choose the lobbies instead of doing it for us...

SPAWN QUEUE!!! http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=172803

Yup...and also, they could implement that idea of putting bad players to play with each other. In other words, if a person gets too many reports they get marked as a toxic player and only play with other toxic players. (Of course this should reset from time to time...)

THIS!!!

River_
15th Oct 2015, 09:40
Bumping this