PDA

View Full Version : Scout Camo & Grappling Hook

k9067c4a2xc3
27th Oct 2014, 11:29
Scout camouflage and grappling hook are both extremely terrible. Please make these abilities less terrible.

This can be done in many ways. For example, make camouflage perfect when holding still. As it is now it might as well not even be an ability unless your opponents are blind kids. Allow grappling hook to be used in mid air and/or make it faster by speeding up the animation.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

k9067c4a2xc3

RoflBalast
27th Oct 2014, 11:30
You are joking or just being bad with scout at this game?

Khalith
27th Oct 2014, 11:34
You are joking or just being bad at this game?

I can agree with him about camo, good players can see through it pretty easily.

Disagree on grappling hook, hook to me is a risk vs reward thing. If you're really good at sniping, the hook can be amazing on certain maps. Otherwise you're better off not using.

RoflBalast
27th Oct 2014, 11:47
Camo is very usefull in combo with hook to take new position, but not to run away from vampires. Example:
Map freeport. Spawn in docks. You sprint towards resupply station(not nearby huge pillar/crane), activate camo, sprint towards roof with hook and resupply station, go up, snipe a lot.

Camo is also great if you start changing elevation levels by rolling around, or when you try to heal after battle is over.

-Konf-
27th Oct 2014, 11:56
I can agree with him about camo, good players can see through it pretty easily.
I used to have a very strong negative opinion about [Camouflage], as most often I found this ability quite easy to counter. However, I've come across some really good Scouts using it successfully.

And like RoflBalast said, the only good use I've seen from [Camouflage] is for positioning before the fight, not for escaping it after.

If you're really good at sniping, the hook can be amazing on certain maps.
Yeah if both you are a decent Scout, and you're not completely out of sight of your team so they can cover for you (the map requirement you mentioned). In vast majority of cases I treat Scouts using [Grappling Hook] as nothing but free kills and cringe every time I see one on my team. There are way too few good Scout players out there that can make a proper use out of this ability.

I don't find those abilities incredibly useful. In both cases the only time I respected those skills was when I saw great players use them successfully. That being said, a great player can get away with using anything really, and in most cases when I see those highly-skilled individuals they normally run other abilities to make more use of.

--Ram--
27th Oct 2014, 16:19
I still cringe every time I see a player trying to run away from a vampire using camouflage. Partly because they shouldn't run anyway, and mainly because it doesn't (or shouldn't) work.

I have however had the rare game when it has been much harder to position for a team fight due to a scout using hook + camo to be a nuisance on Freeport. It was particularly annoying on this map because he can pretty much see anywhere on the map from some locations, and pinpointing him from a distance while he moves around with camo is easier said than done.

I think these abilities in general tend to encourage anti-productive behavior and hinder a team, but if a player actually uses them smartly and doesn't isolate himself and think he is a bell tower sniper hero they certainly have potential.

TheDreamcrusher
27th Oct 2014, 22:11
My only request as far as Camouflage is concerned is to fix the visible arrow. That's how I track scouts mostly.

Saturnity
28th Oct 2014, 01:49
You are joking or just being bad with scout at this game?

I should ask you that. Both grappling hook and camo are garbage that should never be used in any serious game. You gain next to nothing from grappling hook after you give away your location. Good vampires will either kill you or force you to come right back down. You'll gain at most a charged shot you otherwise would not have gotten, and you'll lose your volley/trap slot, one of the most important skill slots in the game.

Camo will not fool good players. After they know you have it, they will see and hear you if you try to use it for positioning. The only time to use it that doesn't subtract from your team is when you're the last man standing. If you're the last man standing, good players will hear you moving around, and they'll note when and where you use camo. It's a crutch that helps you far more often against bad players than good ones. You need to learn how to use knives effectively in high tier play.

--Ram--
28th Oct 2014, 03:07
I should ask you that. Both grappling hook and camo are garbage that should never be used in any serious game. You gain next to nothing from grappling hook after you give away your location. Good vampires will either kill you or force you to come right back down. You'll gain at most a charged shot you otherwise would not have gotten, and you'll lose your volley/trap slot, one of the most important skill slots in the game.

Camo will not fool good players. After they know you have it, they will see and hear you if you try to use it for positioning. The only time to use it that doesn't subtract from your team is when you're the last man standing. If you're the last man standing, good players will hear you moving around, and they'll note when and where you use camo. It's a crutch that helps you far more often against bad players than good ones. You need to learn how to use knives effectively in high tier play.

I think you are being closed minded here the same way I used to. As organised teams start forming and scrimming I honestly expect to see at least hook shoot actually put to good use with well thought out positioning a lot more. But time will tell

Saturnity
28th Oct 2014, 03:47
I think you are being closed minded here the same way I used to. As organised teams start forming and scrimming I honestly expect to see at least hook shoot actually put to good use with well thought out positioning a lot more. But time will tell

I've been playing against organized teams with organized teams. The way the meta is going, you can't afford to have a scout without volley, let alone with a partially blocked line of sight to his team. Even trap is situational. Humans are OPed, but you can't just give up points for free.

--Ram--
29th Oct 2014, 11:02
I've been playing against organized teams with organized teams. The way the meta is going, you can't afford to have a scout without volley, let alone with a partially blocked line of sight to his team. Even trap is situational. Humans are OPed, but you can't just give up points for free.

Fair enough, I always expect hook to be highly map and lineup/strategy dependent. Maybe different game modes will introduce more niche uses for skills like this down the track.