PDA

View Full Version : Prophet Lore and Gameplay Thoughts

Archsaint
26th Oct 2014, 03:21
The lore for the Prophet states that their blood is tainted:

“Prophets use tainted blood – their own and that of others which they ‘bless’ – as weapons.”

Shouldn’t there be a chance that a vampire will get poisoned if he drinks a Prophet’s blood? It would make vampires think twice about executing a Prophet. Be it passive ability or a Prophet specific Perk, it sounds fitting.

Regarding the name, shouldn’t it be “Prophetess” or are there male Prophets also? I hope so. If there are no male Prophets then what’s the deal with that? Alchemists are a female only sect for some reason (I hope the reason isn’t because they don’t want to make a male Alchemist). I think given the war, they could teach some men their craft. Having both genders for each class is desired and has been talked about already, but worth bringing up again.

They’re called Prophets because they have visions of the future. How about an ability related to that? It could function like evasion (since she could “see” the attacks before they come), but allow the Prophet to fire while dodging.

In addition to their own blood being poisonous to vampires, what if Prophets could corrupt the blood of fallen players? Perhaps they could have an ability to buff allies increasing their movement speed for 4 seconds and if an ally died during that time their blood becomes tainted. You’ve got to admit, if humanity can no longer be used as food… the war is over. Why wouldn’t they try that?

It would be cool to watch a vampire execute a human and then throw up the blood. I heard they were looking for a way that the humans could “execute” vampires, doing something degrading to your enemy. This would be interesting.

Archsaint
1st Mar 2015, 01:24
There's been new players on the forums, so I'm bumping.

Khalith
1st Mar 2015, 02:13
1. Experimenting with the prophet's tainted blood ability has been talked about, but she mostly uses it to power her spells. Using some sort of body trap has been discussed before but it's iffy given how strong the prophet is and the advantages humans already have, removing the ability for vamps to feed would make the balance of power shift. Imagine 4 stack prophet trapping their blood, a match where the vamps could never feed, ever. The ability to poison her body or the bodies of humans would be a very bad one for purely balance reasons.

2. Regarding the name, "Prophet" is a gender neutral term. However, they are called the lost "seers" of Avernus. "Seeress" is the female variant of that name.

3. The evasion type move could be interesting, have it replace her life drain for a few moments of extra shooting or the ability to hex shot. Although I got in a lore discussion with a friend of mine regarding the prophet so this part will be a bit long.

Some of the Prophet's quotes include "your life has always been mine" and "you lived to die by my hand." Every soul in Nosgoth besides Raziel has a pre-ordained destiny that cannot in anyway be altered or changed until Raziel is loose to start meddling with things. So the Prophet has visions of that pre-ordained destiny. The issue with the evasion style move is this: What if at that moment the prediction of destiny is that she was meant to die? If that was the prediction she might simply be resigned to her fate, knowing it's all part of the grand plan and such. It also means every kill by the Prophet is meant to happen and every miss or failed chance to kill was also meant to happen. It's weird in that sense given the whole unchanged destiny and such.

Archsaint
1st Mar 2015, 21:37
There are other ways that they could implement tainted blood without it being game breaking, like preventing vampires from feeding. What if a Prophet’s blood only restored half of the normal health for a vampire? Or what if it carried a curse, like 5% slower movement speed, or attack speed for a minute? I would prefer it to be passive, but it could also be a class specific Perk. Because if “…the blood fountain was capable of killing any vampire who drank from it.” And the Prophets drank from that, then their blood should be harmful to vampires in SOME way. They have an excellent piece of lore that, in my opinion, is going to waste in terms of gameplay.

On the flip side, what if vampires could sabotage health/ammo stations? O_o It could be a variation to the Sentinel bomb, the downside is that he’d have to land and plant it.

The lore for the destiny is indeed weird. I’m not sure how the blood fountains tie into everything though, maybe it could be an exception to the rule. There’s not much written about them and their full potential has yet to be harnessed it seems.

Ygdrasel
2nd Mar 2015, 01:42
On the flip side, what if vampires could sabotage health/ammo stations? O_o It could be a variation to the Sentinel bomb, the downside is that he’d have to land and plant it.

Saboteur's been tossed about as a hypothetical Rahabim role. I'd prefer it there. Tainted blood...Not sure how that'd work. Poisoning corpses is horrible for balance.

@Khalith: What exactly is the issue with an evasion move? I see a lot of talk about destiny but nothing actually pointing out a problem...

ParadoxicalOmen
2nd Mar 2015, 03:09
I'm not 100% sure, but i think there was an explanation for why the Prophet's blood isn't tainted after they're dead...unfortunately i can't remember why... :(

Khalith
2nd Mar 2015, 04:42
@Khalith: What exactly is the issue with an evasion move? I see a lot of talk about destiny but nothing actually pointing out a problem...

What if it's her destiny to actually die there!? Then if that's the case she may as well stop fighting and accept death! That was my point.

In pure gameplay terms though, I am leery on giving prophet any sort of evasion/defensive move or an ability like poisoning bodies that would tip the balance more in the human's favor.

Ygdrasel
2nd Mar 2015, 06:24
What if it's her destiny to actually die there!? Then if that's the case she may as well stop fighting and accept death! That was my point.

In pure gameplay terms though, I am leery on giving prophet any sort of evasion/defensive move or an ability like poisoning bodies that would tip the balance more in the human's favor.

If it's her destiny to die there, she would do exactly that. That she doesn't would suggest that it isn't.

And even if it was, I doubt it's any Prophet's destiny to just roll over and give death an easy catch. They'd still fight until the end. :P