PDA

View Full Version : Classes names in your mother language!

GonarTrvig
23rd Oct 2014, 20:17
Well, after a chat with Varulven, I just had this idea: A thread where you can post how would be the names of the different classes of Nosgoth in your mother language. Because of yes :D

And so I start with the translation English -> Spanish:

Humans (Humanos):

-Hunter: Cazador.
-Alchemist: Alquimista.
-Scout: Explorador.
-Prophet: Profeta.

Vampires (Vampiros):

-Reaver: Bandido/Segador.
-Tyrant: Tirano.
-Sentinel: Centinela.
-Deceiver: Embustero.
-Summoner: Invocadora.

Varulven
23rd Oct 2014, 20:21
Aiiii, this will be interesting http://www.tales-of-nosgoth.de/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

German

Humans (Menschen)
Hunter: Jäger
Alchemist: Alchemist
Scout: Kundschafter
Prophet: Prophet

Vampires (Vampire)
Reaver: Räuber
Tyrant: Tyrann
Sentinel: Wächter
Deceiver: Betrüger
Summoner: Beschwörer

Nemesis777
24th Oct 2014, 04:56
I though that's just another spam thread, and was about to post link to one of the free online dictionary sites... but then I've realized that OP was just too shy to ask the devs about text files from the game to start translation projects! :) I'm sure that many Nosgoth testers are not native eng speakers. Game is unplayable for many players after latest hot fixes (freeze...), other users are still active on this forum instead of playing, and reporting issues - that's boring, I know. ;) There is not much text in a pvp game, so how about the translation for all other EU languages? :)

Bye.

RoflBalast
24th Oct 2014, 09:51
Not translation, but more how I call them ingame while in party.
Eng->Rus
Humans
Hunter: Зажимака
Alchemist: Алхимка
Scout: Снайпер
Prophet: Вичка(от анг witch)

Vampires
Reaver: Ривонский, хрипун.
Tyrant: Танк, жирный.
Sentinel: Летун, крыса.
Deceiver: Десив.

Varulven
24th Oct 2014, 10:58
Eng->Rus
Humans

Vampires

Not all of us can read Cyrillic. Could you please add the pronounciation? :o

-Konf-
24th Oct 2014, 16:41
Not all of us can read Cyrillic. Could you please add the pronounciation? :o
Like RoflBalast said, those names are more of "nicknames", rather than actual words we'd have in Russian, but I hope he adds explanation so you guys get to see the humour. Meanwhile, here's the translation:

Humans:
Hunter: Охотник [pr: Ohotnik]
Alchemist: Алхимик [pr: Alhimik]
Scout: Разведчик [pr: Razvedchik]
Prophet: Пророк [pr: Prorock]

Vampires:
Reaver: Захватчик [pr: Zahvatchik] (Note: there is no linear translation, so I picked a closest word for representation)
Tyrant: Тиран [pr: Tiran]
Sentinel: Страж [pr: Straz]
Deceiver: Обманщик [pr: Obmanshik]
Summoner: Призыватель [pr: Prizivatel']

P.S.: Devs, if you somehow managed to read through a thread in an off-topic section, and if you ever plan to release Nosgoth in Russian - feel free to contact me, will be happy to help!

Khalith
24th Oct 2014, 18:05
This is pretty interesting to me, I decided to join. But I decided on a different tongue, for those that might be wondering, my name is a word in Drow ("Khalith" is the drow word for "courage") so I decided I'd put the class names in Drow or the closest I could get cause I'm a nerd.

Hunter: Silinrul
Alchemist: Laimurar
Scout: Zahanzon
Prophet: Hiever

Reaver: Thalackz'hind
Tyrant: Sansiss Valuk
Deceiver: Uln'hyrr
Sentinel: Rith'tar

GonarTrvig
25th Oct 2014, 08:47
Russian sounds so beautiful! I really love it! *_* *fell in love since she heard the openings of both GitS SAC*

And also in Drow sounds interesting too! I'm tempted to look for that Draconiac online dictionary I would use years ago to RP wit my dragons... ;P

And after wondering I noticed something about my translation for Reaver: In SR1, the official translation for "Soul Reaver" is "Segador de Almas" (Soul Reaper). Is not the same meaning, but we don't have either a fitting word for Reaver in Spanish, so... I though that, following the same scheme, Reaver class in Spanish could be perfectly "Segador" instead of "Bandido". At least sounds more badass xD.

Another Spanish opinion, please?

Raziel220
25th Oct 2014, 11:26
Russian sounds so beautiful! I really love it! *_* *fell in love since she heard the openings of both GitS SAC*

And also in Drow sounds interesting too! I'm tempted to look for that Draconiac online dictionary I would use years ago to RP wit my dragons... ;P

And after wondering I noticed something about my translation for Reaver: In SR1, the official translation for "Soul Reaver" is "Segador de Almas" (Soul Reaper). Is not the same meaning, but we don't have either a fitting word for Reaver in Spanish, so... I though that, following the same scheme, Reaver class in Spanish could be perfectly "Segador" instead of "Bandido". At least sounds more badass xD.

Another Spanish opinion, please?

Well, actually, in the translation I'm doing (to spanish), I just called them "Reavers", it seems much more appropriate. However, I was debating with my-self if I should change that and called them "Segadores" or not... I will never refer to them as "bandidos", it's not cool enough!, but another good badass name that I thought for them could be "Atracadores" ... maybe that's badass enough :3 what do you think?...

And since you already left no classes behind for me, and started referring to the games' titles, I'll share an approximate translation of each one:
-Legacy of Kain = Legado de Kain
-Blood Omen = Presagio de Sangre
-Soul Reaver = Segador/a de Almas (after all these years, I don't know for sure if the title is referring to Raziel, the Reaver or both xD)
-Defiance = Desaf*o

In party, I always name the classes by their original names in english, and of course, if I have to talk about the games to someone, I will never say those supposed translations, but it's cool to share the curiosity :P

Mihail1995Russia
25th Oct 2014, 16:48
Eng->Rus
Humans

Vampires
юмор хороший у тебя посмеялся )))

слушай помоги мне пож cскайп mishel.cvc

РУС/RUS

Humans- Люди
Hunter: Охотние
Alchemist: Алхим ( Алхимик)
Scout: (Разведчик)(Шпион)
Prophet: Херок

Vampires- Вампиры
Reaver: Ворюга
Tyrant: Тиран, Жиртрест,
Deceiver: Обанщик, (Хитроопец)

what is written above is also normal, but this version is also suitable
and many words of folk expression (not literary) :wave:

GonarTrvig
29th Oct 2014, 06:51
Well, actually, in the translation I'm doing (to spanish), I just called them "Reavers", it seems much more appropriate. However, I was debating with my-self if I should change that and called them "Segadores" or not... I will never refer to them as "bandidos", it's not cool enough!, but another good badass name that I thought for them could be "Atracadores" ... maybe that's badass enough :3 what do you think?...

And since you already left no classes behind for me, and started referring to the games' titles, I'll share an approximate translation of each one:
-Legacy of Kain = Legado de Kain
-Blood Omen = Presagio de Sangre
-Soul Reaver = Segador/a de Almas (after all these years, I don't know for sure if the title is referring to Raziel, the Reaver or both xD)
-Defiance = Desaf*o

In party, I always name the classes by their original names in english, and of course, if I have to talk about the games to someone, I will never say those supposed translations, but it's cool to share the curiosity :P

Dunno, if I may decide between "Segadores" and "Atracadores"... I prefer the first one, though the second one is fitting enough :P.

Actually I tend to use the English name as well, but I started a fanfic time ago (need to keep working on it, but work and being tired happens xwx), and I found myself that in a fanfic it just doesn't feel right to leave the names of the classes in English, so... Yeah, I encountered the problem of not knowing how to translate "Reaver" properly xD.

About the titles... Yeah, I have the same doubt about Soul Reaver xD, but I think they refer to both, since the Elder God says to Raziel "Conviértete en mi Segador de Almas", and they call to the weapon "Segadora de Almas" as well. Even to the Wraith Reaver.

RizeMythos
29th Oct 2014, 11:41
This should be fun.. Some don't have words but I took verbs and made them nouns.. Bet you guys didn't know Irish was a language. Also included how to pronounce

ENG -> Irish

Humans (Daoine (Dee-nee)):

-Hunter: Fiaga* (Fee-a-gee).
-Alchemist: Alceimiceoir (Al-Kem-ic-or).
-Scout: Scabhta (Scout-a).
-Prophet: Fáidh (Fay-oo).

Vampires (Vampires (No word)):

-Reaver: saighdiúir (Siy-dgoor).
-Tyrant: T*oránach (Tyran-ach).
-Sentinel: Guarda (Guard-a).
-Deceiver: Áilteoir (Ayle-tore).
-Summoner: Toghairateoir (Toe-gare-tore).

Varulven
29th Oct 2014, 14:40
Offtopic of the day :D

Bet you guys didn't know Irish was a language.

I know that Irish is a language ;)

Dúlamán na binne bu*, dúlamán Gaelach
Dúlamán na farraige, b'fhearr a bh* in Éirinn
Tá ceann bu* óir ar an dúlamán gaelach
Tá dhá chluais mhaol ar an dúlamán maorach
Bróga breaca dubha ar an dúlamán gaelach
Tá bearéad agus triús ar an dúlamán maorach

:whistle:

RainaAudron
29th Oct 2014, 14:54
I know that Irish is a language ;)

Yep :) I´m sure there are plenty of others who do as well.

Anyway, here is my slovak contribution:

Hunter: Lovec
Scout: Zved
Alchemist: Alchymistka (feminine version)
Prophet: Prorok (masculine)/Veštkyňa (feminine)

Reaver: Plieniteľ
Tyrant: Tyran
Sentinel: Sentinel/Strážnik (had trouble with this one, translates to guard :/ )
Deceiver: Podvodn*k

Varulven
29th Oct 2014, 14:59
OMG Raina, didn't know how beautiful the slovak language is! :worship:

RainaAudron
29th Oct 2014, 15:06
Hehehe! Oh, thank you, Varulven! :D google translator can read it pretty alright I believe :) (I really wish I could learn to speak German again too though).

-Konf-
29th Oct 2014, 15:28
Deceiver: Podvodn*k
Hey Raina, since Slovak and Russian languages have similar roots I found that translation a little funny, so wanted to ask some in-depth clarification on that one.

You see, in Russian the word "Podvodnik" would mean a "person that is under water", or you can even use it as an informal way of calling some of the scuba divers or submarine personnel haha.

Here's how the word is broken down in Russian: "pod" meaning "under", "vod" meaning "water" and "nik" indicates that this word is a noun representing a person.

If it's not too much trouble, could you break it down for me in your language? :)

Varulven
29th Oct 2014, 15:39
Hehehe! Oh, thank you, Varulven! :D google translator can read it pretty alright I believe :) (I really wish I could learn to speak German again too though).

Again? So you could speak german once?
I wish I could help you with it, but I don't know how xD *doesn't know how to teach people things*^^

RainaAudron
29th Oct 2014, 16:08
Hey Raina, since Slovak and Russian languages have similar roots I found that translation a little funny, so wanted to ask some in-depth clarification on that one.

You see, in Russian the word "Podvodnik" would mean a "person that is under water", or you can even use it as an informal way of calling some of the scuba divers or submarine personnel haha.

Here's how the word is broken down in Russian: "pod" meaning "under", "vod" meaning "water" and "nik" indicates that this word is a noun representing a person.

Hey, yep, here pod means under as well and vodn*k means "kelp" actually. However, podvodn*k has its base in the word podvod, which means deceit. Hope that clears it up :)

Varulven: The more languages I can speak, the better! :) It´s okay, hopefully I´ll get around to it someday.

-Konf-
29th Oct 2014, 16:40
However, podvodn*k has its base in the word podvod, which means deceit. Hope that clears it up :)
Thanks for that, was curious :) But I am still on the hunt for the language similarities and it's interesting how the verb "podvesti" in Russian means "to fail someone", "to not live up to expectations". So in a way it's still close to "podvod" meaning"deceit" :D

RainaAudron
29th Oct 2014, 22:12
Yeah, you are right :) There are lots of similarities between slavic languages.

Da_Wolv
30th Oct 2014, 08:38
Aiiii, this will be interesting http://www.tales-of-nosgoth.de/forum/images/smilies/icon_e_biggrin.gif

German

Humans (Menschen)
Hunter: Jäger
Alchemist: Alchemist
Scout: Kundschafter
Prophet: Prophet

Vampires (Vampire)
Reaver: Räuber
Tyrant: Tyrann
Sentinel: Wächter
Deceiver: Betrüger
Summoner: Beschwörer

I'd subsitute "Betrüger" for something else.
Maybe more along the line of "Täuscher" or "Schwindler"

Then again, most Germans are used to these kinds of labels being english, because, at least to me, the German versions sound not as cool and not even mildly menacing.

Also - while "Räuber" would be the correct translation, I am having a hard time grasping the link between name and description of the class. Maybe thats just because we are conditioned to not question the english labels as much, but for a German there would be a disconnect between name and function, I'd recon.

Varulven
30th Oct 2014, 13:49
Hmmm.... I like my language, even if it isn't cool.
Language is for conversation, not for coolness.

TerTig
31st Oct 2014, 09:52
translation English -> armenian:

Humans - մարդիկ ( read as "mardik"):

-Hunter: որսորդ (vorsord)
-Alchemist: ալքիմիկոս ( alkimikos)
-Scout: հետախույզ ( hetaxuyz)
-Prophet: մարգարե (margare)

Vampires - արնախումներ ( arnaxumner):

-Reaver: ավազակ (avazak)
-Tyrant: հսկա (hska)
-Sentinel: պաշտպան(pashtpan)
-Deceiver: խաբեբա( xabeba)

Malkev
23rd Nov 2014, 14:59
Another posibilitys for spanish version.

Humans (Humanos):

-Hunter: Cazadores / Batidores / Ojeadores.
-Alchemist: Alquimistas / Ocultistas / Taumaturgas.
-Scout: Exploradores / Rastreadores / Escuchas/ Vigias.
-Prophet: Profetas / Videntes / Iluminados / Augur.

Vampires (Vampiros):

-Reaver: Segadores / Recolectores.
-Tyrant: Tiranos / Opresores.
-Sentinel: Centinelas / Vigias.
-Deceiver: Impostores / Farsantes / Duplos.

LOFO1993
24th Nov 2014, 23:16
English to Italian:

Humans (Umani)

- Hunter: Cacciatore
- Alchemist: Alchimista
- Scout: Scout/Esploratore/Ricognitore
- Prophet: Profetessa

Vampires (Vampiri)

- Reaver: Razziatore (literal translation)/Mietitore (to stick with the "Soul Reaver" official italian translation, "Mietitrice d'anime")
- Tyrant: Tiranno
- Sentinel: Sentinella
- Deceiver: Ingannatore