PDA

View Full Version : Game won't save

HINOA9999
27th Sep 2015, 15:55
Saves are acting up. The symbol appears and I can load the save as long as the game isn't closed. If I do close it and open it again, the only option is to start a new game.
Square Enix: the year is 2015. The bugs or problems gamers should expect from games can't be related to files' location.
I have a couple of games in my wishlist from Square Enix which I was planning to buy, should I remove them in fear that you may have named a file wrong too? f1nalfantasyXV.exe instead of finalfantasyXV.exe, riseofthet0mbrider.exe instead of riseofthetombrider.exe. please tell me if so, so I don't waste money on faulty games developed carelessly.

Regards.

Esteban.

ScottBlows
29th Sep 2015, 13:30
Hello,

Please check the following folder is in place:

c:\users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Life is Strange\Saves

(Please ensure this folder is where your 'My Documents' folder is located)

Once checked/created try running Life is Strange, saving, closing and then see if the save is still there

Thanks

HINOA9999
10th Oct 2015, 04:21
I moved the "my documents" folder to another hard drive because I have an SSD and a game is not worth throwing a SSD drive down the toilet. Reinstalling the game won't solve the issue. I created the folder you mentioned in my other hard drive unit where "my documents" is and it didn't work. The game can't save my progress.

Give me a solution or either contact Steam so they give me back my money. Again, SOMETHING LIKE THIS CAN'T HAPPEN IN A 201X GAME. EVEN FREE EMULATORS WORK BETTER WITH SAVES FFS.

P.D.: ignoring you were related to it I have pre-ordered Just cause 3 ? will I find any surprises ? like needing a floppy disk drive or a DDR1 RAM ? maybe a monochromatic monitor?

oaklandnative
10th Oct 2015, 05:32
Holy crap what a bummer. I played through TWO episodes in one sitting last weekend. I am loving it and was super excited to continue this weekend. Booted it up and was thoroughly disappointed to see that NOTHING had been saved in those roughly four hours of gameplay. Fugg. How annoying that such a great game is ruined by something as trivial as an inability to track and save progress :(

HINOA9999
14th Oct 2015, 02:41
Exactly my thoughts, though I am a completionist and talked with EVERYONE which took me more or less the same as you and did't even get the memory card for some dude. I think something should be done about this newbie issue. Either a refund or a solution for episode 5 and we can all forget about this.

Again, not being able to change where saves are stored in a 201X game? when I don't have any problems with even older games than this one?

Just solve the issue guys, how hard can it be if YOU even allow sve files to be stored in a different folder than the default one in other games you released ?!?!

P.D.: first game of this type that I play and this happens. jeez....

HINOA9999
21st Oct 2015, 19:49
BUMP. I want a solution: either I am allowed to save wherever I want OR I get my money back. SIMPLE

ScottBlows
22nd Oct 2015, 13:58
Hello,

Here are some steps for you to try:

LIS looks for WinMyDocuments and puts save+config files here (please ensure the folder is present)

You may not be able to save if:
- The HDD where WinMyDocuments has been moved to is not writable for some reason (try looking for LISSave1.sav (or 2 or 3) on HDDs, if it doesn’t exist it’s a hdd access problem

cryofpaine
23rd Oct 2015, 06:42
I'm getting the same issue. I have Steam on my F drive, and Windows on my SSD C drive. I've created Save folders in every location I can think of:
C:\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
C:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
F:\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
F:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
F:\Users\<username>\My Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves

Nothing worked. What I'm finding is that the game is creating save games, but it's putting them in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Life Is Strange\Binaries\Win32\[random Japanese characters]\My Games\Life Is Strange\Saves
That would be fine, but everytime I open the game, the [random Japanese characters] change, so it never tries to go to the same spot. Is there any configuration file or something to force it to use a specific location?

HINOA9999
27th Oct 2015, 20:45
I think I've finally solved the problem (more of a workaround)). Currently, my Windows Documents folder is set to d:\ and nor Life is strange or Bioshock Infinite are able to create a folder on Documents\My games to save the config files and the save files from those games. This is most probably related to what scottblows said about "hdd access problem" (If someone knows why this is happening please post, I'll be checking later myself).

What I did was to set the Windows Document folder to its default location, open both games, the folder for config and save files was created then I switched it back to D:\ and it appears to be saving now despite the folder being different than c:\users\[username]\Documents\My games.

TL;DR: just set the Documents folder to it default location, open the games so they can create their respective folders and change it back where you want.

HINOA9999
27th Oct 2015, 20:48
I think I've finally solved the problem (more of a workaround)). Currently, my Windows Documents folder is set to d:\ and nor Life is strange or Bioshock Infinite are able to create a folder on Documents\My games to save the config files and the save files from those games. This is most probably related to what scottblows said about "hdd access problem" (If someone knows why this is happening please post, I'll be checking later myself).

What I did was to set the Windows Document folder to its default location, open both games, the folder for config and save files was created then I switched it back to D:\ and it appears to be saving now despite the folder being different than c:\users\[username]\Documents\My games.

TL;DR: just set the Documents folder to it default location, open the games so they can create their respective folders and change it back where you want.

cryofpaine
31st Oct 2015, 00:37
Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, that didn't work either. It still insists on creating the saves in F:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Life Is Strange\Binaries\Win32\ under folders that get created every time, with weird Japanese characters. I just tried it twice, and it created folders 㝪忢ggg마ȇ and 㝪快~~~마ȃ. I've tried changing the AutoSaveDir in the BaseEngine.INI file. No luck. Nothing is working. :(

HINOA9999
3rd Nov 2015, 05:15
ok, is anyone here running a fresh windows install or are we all updaters from a previous version? because that would be my next step in trying to solve this.

cryofpaine
5th Nov 2015, 04:33
It's been installed for 3 years, but it was a clean Windows 7 install.

oaklandnative
14th Nov 2015, 01:02
I am sooo frustrated by this awesome game. The first time I played, I played 2 chapters in one setting. When I later came back to it, nothing was saved.

I eventually messed around with creating folders per the suggestions on these forums. Played for a few minutes and confirmed that I had a save! Yay... or so I thought.

A few weeks later, I bit the bullet, jumped back in and started from that save (towards the beginning of chapter 1). Every once in a while I would restart from last checkpoint to confirm that saves were occurring. I also closed out of the game a couple times and restarted. Saves were working. So in that session, I redid the first 2 chapters and also finished chapter 3. That was a week ago.

Today, I booted up the game. My save had REVERTED to shortly after the beginning of chapter 1!!! All progress lost.

I have invested 20 hours in this game, I am heavily invested in the story, I love the game, but I will sadly NEVER get to finish it :( WTF??? Seriously, I have screenshots from all three chapters. I have 17 achievements. Yet my freaking save file is back to the the beginning of chapter 1.

This blows.

Devs, what are you gonna do to fix this? If you google "life is strange not saving" you will see many other threads on steam and elsewhere from people having the same problem.

And when you do fix the problem, what are you gonna do for those of us who got screwed by it? Here's my suggestion. Give us a way to quickly and easily re-choose all the choices we made. I am NOT going to play all the first three chapters AGAIN just to make those same choices. Just let us quickly scroll through a list and click which choices we made, so we can jump back into it from whatever point we lost our saves.

I really want to finish this game.

HINOA9999
3rd Mar 2016, 05:58
I am actually not a very social person so I don't really have forums in my mind.

I found a solution to the problem long ago TBH and was able to play the game as it should. What I did was to delete the Windows Documents folder (creating a backup of the files beforehand) and let windows create another one automatically (you can open any game or software(I suppose) for that to happen), then simply put everything back there again after... turned out to be a Windows problem rather than Square Enix. Even if they could have found the solution and tell us since it was SO SIMPLE.

Good game despite the lackluster "endings".