PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Deathly and Abyssal Shield

GenocidePete
24th Sep 2015, 18:29
So far, Deathly Shield is a feel-good spell, and it's nice to have an ability that mitigates the effectiveness of the Stormbow. I feel that Abyssal Shield needs some attention, however. From my experience, the usefulness of Abyssal Shield has been stifled by how long it takes to move the shield in the direction of an incoming shot, and I find myself in many situations where, if the shield had appeared where I was aiming rather than where my body was facing, it could have been useful. Would Abyssal Shield be too powerful if it didn't have this limitation?

Urek_Mazino
24th Sep 2015, 23:12
Well, i tried the new "shield" and i can say that it's completly useless. Sorry about that but it's just a worst ignore pain!
You can't attack during this, you can't delete it as u wish, you can't melee-roll for escape and you have to jump in front of 4 enemies for a full effectiveness (?) shield that will be anyway too weak and you will melt like snow into a volcano.
This skill may be usable if it will work like a self-eldrich with free attack possibility and the same mechanic (more enemies=more shield).
At least with a command for self-delete it.

TheDreamcrusher
25th Sep 2015, 10:30
I was expecting something with a little more oomph to it. I could see it having more utility if it inflicted a low amount of damage, say in the 150-200 range. Otherwise it's another version of Evasion and Ignore Pain.

In the talents thread, I mention a talent that would allow Abyssal Shield to be stationary or travel in the direction you were moving when it was activated. That would be awesome.

Firehex
26th Sep 2015, 01:45
Both abilities kinda bad. Shield - sometimes can be helpful to cover teammate while he is retreating/eating, but that is all..Reduced ms should be removed and we should check if will help.
Deathly - you can't remove it when you want...It's just like another ignore pain.

ParadoxicalOmen
27th Sep 2015, 15:11
Shield now restores a bit of health (i haven't tested yet, but is on update description)...

so i guess all that needs now is to fix deathly shield to make it more useful...
i thought it took a small portion of health from humans to make the shield, this isn't the case though right?
And also, does it work with no humans around?

Ygdrasel
28th Sep 2015, 20:04
And also, does it work with no humans around?

The description for Deathly Shield lists how much damage it absorbs for 1, 2, 3 or 4 humans hit.
So presumably zero humans = no shield.

The description for Deathly Shield also made it sound like it drains enemy health to power the shield - awesome - but it doesn't as far as I can tell. If it did, and the drain amount (per human) increased with each player caught, it'd be worth something. Right now, looks cool, sounds cool, not worth much. That or replace it entirely. Melchiah's phase gift is still unexplored territory. Summoner phases out, heals a bit from the partial crossing to the Spectral, phases back in.

Summons should still be usable with Deathly Shield up, at least. Shield's up, can't launch bolts or strikes through it. Fine. So summon your ghouls right outside the shield boundary - why not? It just makes sense. Or hey, it's called Deathly Shield so why not pay back absorbed damage as wounds to the enemy?

Liking the changes to Abyssal Shield but I'd happily nerf its duration or damage blockage a bit to be able to summon it on all sides.

senjuj
28th Sep 2015, 21:24
yea, new shield is worse than ignore pain, but ip is low useful debuff.

Fist_Of_Theos
29th Sep 2015, 00:14
Idk about you guys, but i like the new shield. At least i can run, go regen, and probably get my abilities off again vs being stuck with some crap abyssal shield getting meleed to death because i can't move.

But I think it'd be nice if the Deathly Shield gave a movement slow to those who's essence was used to make the shield stronger.

Ygdrasel
29th Sep 2015, 20:01
Idk about you guys, but i like the new shield. At least i can run, go regen, and probably get my abilities off again vs being stuck with some crap abyssal shield getting meleed to death because i can't move.

But I think it'd be nice if the Deathly Shield gave a movement slow to those who's essence was used to make the shield stronger.

The issue is less its usefulness and more that it's just a reskin of a Tyrant ability. Yes, every class could get its own version of Ignore Pain and it'd be useful - but it'd also be pretty lame. Even the original Ignore Pain's usage is pretty limited so pasting it onto the Summoner as a "new" ability is just underwhelming in every way.

I'd take the healing aspect away from Abyssal Barrier (keep the explosion absorption), cut its duration or something to trade-off for a shield that covers all directions.

Then scrap Deathly Shield entirely for an AoE that snags health from all enemies hit, healing the Summoner while damaging the enemies. Visual effect akin to Kain's Blood Shower (http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/bo1/_images/spells/BloodShower.jpg) but with spectral (soul) energy instead of blood. Maintains the current scaling based on enemies present schtick while being less of a copy-paste job and providing a nice callback to Kain's powers.

ParadoxicalOmen
29th Sep 2015, 22:04
Then scrap Deathly Shield entirely for an AoE that snags health from all enemies hit, healing the Summoner while damaging the enemies. Visual effect akin to Kain's Blood Shower (http://www.dark-chronicle.co.uk/bo1/_images/spells/BloodShower.jpg) but with spectral (soul) energy instead of blood. Maintains the current scaling based on enemies present schtick while being less of a copy-paste job and providing a nice callback to Kain's powers.

THIS ↑
It would go perfect with the fact that Summoner are the only ones that seems to feed using telekinesis.

For some reason i do feel like deathly shield should steal something...if not steal health, it should at least steal their spiritual energy. Something like, reducing your main ability cooldown of 1 sec per human...
Or maybe disable the abilities of each human for about 2 sec, similar to Prophets's disabling curse that disable vampire abilities...

Firehex
30th Sep 2015, 09:23
For some reason i do feel like deathly shield should steal something...if not steal health, it should at least steal their spiritual energy. Something like, reducing your main ability cooldown of 1 sec per human...
Or maybe disable the abilities of each human for about 2 sec, similar to Prophets's disabling curse that disable vampire abilities...

Or just ms debuff for 3 seconds =) It will help to counter scouts with sprint talent.