PDA

View Full Version : TYRANT Single Target Tyrant build.

Khalith
15th Sep 2014, 08:24
This is a little write up about a specific loadout for Tyrant, it gives up the aoe/disruption the Tyrant does for fairly effective single target kill power.

Why use this build?

This build is specifically for singling out a troublesome player on the other team. We've all been there, your team is aoeing down the humans pretty effectively, picking them off, then you get the one player with insane accuracy and placement of his moves that is neutralizing the threat. This build is for targeting that player and either killing them or keeping them out of the fight long enough for your team to finish off the other humans and help you get a kill.

Should I full time this build?

No, it is extremely situational. It gives up the normal expectations for Tyrant.

What are the advantages?

The main advantage of this is targeting a specific player on the other team, I have used this build fairly often to target a troublesome player, it keeps them out of the fight and unable to help their team, it's been effective against all four human classes where I've used it.

What are the disadvantages?

You're giving up your AOE disruption that Tyrant is usually used for, if you go in the midst of a group you can't really soften them up and then run away, this build really requires you commit to staying with a target and risking death.

The build.

Charge: Why Charge? For the shorter cooldown, this build requires you charge the smallest distance possible for it's specific combination.

Throw: Throw is actually your opener for this, it's faster than shockwave/ground slam and much harder to avoid because of the speed of the grab. You want to get this ability off before you get CC'd.

Ignore Pain: I prefer this move for the survivability and in case your team is unable to keep the rest of the human team occupied while you focus your target.

Perks:

Undying Wisdom: I prefer this to shorten the cooldowns on Throw and Charge, the two of them already have shorter cooldowns, this brings them even lower.

Nimbleness: In case your attack goes wrong or the situation goes south, this helps you quickly escape from the bad situation.

In combat:

Step 1: Pick your target

This build is meant for focusing down someone specific, know who you're going for before you jump in.

Step 2: The approach

Always try to drop in from behind on a target or from somewhere unseen, common sense I know but it's important they don't see you coming for this build.

Step 3: The attack

What do you do for this build is different from other Tyrant builds in that you don't use your RMB attack to open, the goal being to wait for your team to open, Reaver bombs or a Deceiver poison are a good distraction while you go after your target. You drop in on the target and open with throw, ideally you want to throw them in to a wall that is close by. While they are in the air you want to hit your charge and go straight at them, this will allow you to hit them with the charge while they are still stunned, leaving no way to avoid it. From there you go to the next step.

Step 4: Finish them

Securing the kill can be the more difficult part depending on what you're fighting and how their team is handling your team. After your charge you'll be able to get 2-3 melee swings off before they full recover and throw out a CC or stun move of their own. Between the throw, the charge and your swings your target will have taken 700-800 damage by this point. If you managed to throw them right against a wall neary and charge them while they were next to you, charge's CD will only be 3 -4 seconds depending on your perk.

As soon as they roll away from you Charge will be off CD with their roll on CD meaning you can charge in to them and finish them off. If you charged further than minimum you'll have to 2-3+ seconds more minimum before throw or charge is off CD. Leaving you no choice but to use your melee swings until throw is off CD again, given how much damage you're doing, if you can survive the 6-8 seconds that will be left on charge's CD and your target is still not dead, the next throw should finish them off. If your team has dispatched the rest of their team, the other vamps can help you finish off your target, if your team is dead, pop ignore pain and run for the hills. Given you CC'd your target so much you should not have lost much HP, after running I usually camp the nearest health station and charge in to the humans trying to heal, if you are fast enough you should be able to finish off 1-2 or maybe even 3-4 depending on if all of them are on it, how low their HP is, etc.

I highly recommend that you do not pop Ignore Pain and run away though unless you're certain you'll die if you don't, commit to finishing off your target. During that time you've kept this player completely occupied and nearly killed them, cut them off from their team, and CC'd them so they were unable to retaliate at all while you knocked out most of their HP.

Conclusion:

That about wraps up my little guide here to the single target Tyrant build. It's gimmicky and highly situational, but let me say that this build is damn fun, between the charge and throw, you'll be manhandling your target and throwing them around like a rag doll. It "feels" right playing this way as a Tyrant rather than doing the hit and run tactics that have become rather standard for it, this let's you brutalize and overpower a target and keeps them locked down. I've had a lot of success with this build in 1v1's, I only ever die using it if I get ganged up on or if I didn't have enough HP when I engaged.

The most critical part is after the throw and the charge while you are attempting to finish off your target, played correctly you should be able to finish off your target consistently without dying yourself barring really bad mistakes or lag. This build specializes in doing most of it's damage (and taking out most of your opponent's hp) while they are unable to fight back and while it can be OP, you'll not have nearly as much success if your team is unable to keep the rest of the humans occupied while you do what you have to do.

cmstache
15th Sep 2014, 17:38
This is similar to my normal tyrant build. (Cooldown buffed Charge, Throw, Enrage) The difference is, without IP, once I commit I can't stop. So you have to have a team helping you out. I can near one combo kill people though between the throw dmg, charge damage, and the last melee hit.

GenFeelGood
15th Sep 2014, 18:16
"Hit and Run " or "Tag and Turn" (as I call it) is how I prefer to play the vamps and I have found a way to employ this play style to all the current vamp classes. For tyrant I land a jump, go stone skin and climb a wall, wait for humans to turn their attention to my team or elsewhere in general, and drop down delivering an immediate shockwave upon touching the ground followed by a pressing of the attack or another stone skin if I think I'm just gonna get killed. I also have the cooldown perk equipped as well.

Khalith
15th Sep 2014, 20:32
This is similar to my normal tyrant build. (Cooldown buffed Charge, Throw, Enrage) The difference is, without IP, once I commit I can't stop. So you have to have a team helping you out. I can near one combo kill people though between the throw dmg, charge damage, and the last melee hit.

I prefer having ignore pain, I like having the out, especially considering how dependent I find myself on the rest of my team keeping the humans occupied. With ignore pain I feel confident that I can generally kill a target and get out alive, I don't get the same feeling when I use berserk.

"Hit and Run " or "Tag and Turn" (as I call it) is how I prefer to play the vamps and I have found a way to employ this play style to all the current vamp classes. For tyrant I land a jump, go stone skin and climb a wall, wait for humans to turn their attention to my team or elsewhere in general, and drop down delivering an immediate shockwave upon touching the ground followed by a pressing of the attack or another stone skin if I think I'm just gonna get killed. I also have the cooldown perk equipped as well.

I don't like playing Hit and Run as Tyrant, granted it's very effective, but it just doesn't "feel" right to me. I still do it of course but I don't find it as fun as my single target build.

CandyKain
16th Sep 2014, 15:47
My current favorite Tyrant loadout for more focused and damage dealing combat is Rage, Jump, Throw, Berserker. 1v1 the only thing that gets in the way is whip. There's a dramatic increase in the number of double kills. Only downside is the ease of interrupts on throw.

ThreeBeastSmile
16th Sep 2014, 17:27
This sounds like a lark. I've avoided deviating from the norm tyrant simply because that's kind of what a team expects of one typically; but hearing other people move away from that formula will make me feel less guilty about going smashy-smashy on folks every now and again. He's a big dude, a very big dude, so I also feel unfaithful in being a pansy la de da look at me, oh gtg now distraction sort. :p