PDA

View Full Version : Advanced deciever strategies

KazumaTeiken
1st Sep 2015, 18:51
Can anyone share some with me? Maybe your insight on ability builds?

I personally love illusions but can't decide between backstab or infect. I also am happy with invis but am curious if mind control is a viable spell?

riccetto80
1st Sep 2015, 19:38
depend how you play, back-stab is good to kill and isolate enemy or finish fast a injured one.

infect is good to engage first a group of humans and create chaos and help your teammates to engage easier during the chaos.

mind control is good if you play in team to take out the scout or the ost dangerous of enemy team and so on, depends how you play.

i prefer infect + invisible, so i can engage first and create chaos

Arydious
1st Sep 2015, 19:56
It does depend largely on your play-style.

With that in mind though there are reasons why certain abilities are preferred over others.

The main Deceiver build used in high level matches is Disguise, Infect, and Clones.
The reason why is infect is easy to land and it's great to initiate with, if you land a good one then the rest of your team can see all the health bars and target accordingly. Also Backstab makes a really loud noise that good players can hear and avoid easily.
They use clones because shroud is to easy to see, and against good players you will just get shot like normal, it also encourages you to stay in for the damage when you should really be getting out.
Disguise is used over mind control for a couple reason, it is used to get in and get out. Really easy to use and works. Where as mind control CC's yourself and leaves a big target on you with purple hands, and Mind control requires a well coordinated team to use. Chances are you will get blown up before really pulling anything good off with it though.

Whoopdidoohah
4th Sep 2015, 15:38
depend how you play, back-stab is good to kill and isolate enemy or finish fast a injured one.

infect is good to engage first a group of humans and create chaos and help your teammates to engage easier during the chaos.

mind control is good if you play in team to take out the scout or the ost dangerous of enemy team and so on, depends how you play.

i prefer infect + invisible, so i can engage first and create chaos

I will base my comments on competitive play and not pubs play.

Deceiver isn't the right class to open with, it has almost no chances of escape if he engages a group of humans alone. He's very vulnerable to AoE and is easy to dispatch despite illusions or shroud.

Deceiver is better used as an oportunistic damager / finisher AFTER or AT SAME TIME someone elses draws attention, that way you get kills without getting killed. A good senti, a tyrant, a reaver, a summoner's minions, anything that will make humans look in the oposite direction while you approach disguised, infect, illusion and finish or run off (if they turn back to focus fire you). Sentinel's sonic screech will also help a deceiver as the humans can't hear the footsteps, Reaver's smoke could help distract, summoner's minions and playing bait (with the use of barrier), well, anything that can distract will improve Deceiver's quality of life.

Dominate mind is very powerful with a coordinated team (situationnaly), like when humans are camping a spot that's very hard to break through, but in pubs it's asbolutely awful. Backstab is unreliable I'd suggest you to use infect all the time, because face stabbing is really not worth it and the risk of simply missing the hit isn't worth it either.

In the end the deceiver needs his allies to distract to be used at his full potential. If you open up with deceiver + disguise, the ennemies will hear footsteps, and will CC you even before you even come out of stealth. Don't spread misinformation such as deceiver being a good class to open up with.

kLauE187
5th Sep 2015, 08:34
Deceiver isn't the right class to open with, it has almost no chances of escape if he engages a group of humans alone. He's very vulnerable to AoE and is easy to dispatch despite illusions or shroud.
I guess we have different playstyles then.

Deceiver is better used as an oportunistic damager / finisher AFTER or AT SAME TIME someone elses draws attention, that way you get kills without getting killed.
Sounds more like a reaver to me.

Obviously you need to play it smart when you engage, but aslong as you don't get focused you destroy every human except alchmist. So they either focus you and give your team more freedom, or you can go manmode. Aslong as you make sure to survive the fight and disengage in time, it's fine.

riccetto80
5th Sep 2015, 11:12
I will base my comments on competitive play and not pubs play.

Deceiver is better used as an oportunistic damager / finisher AFTER or AT SAME TIME someone elses draws attention, that way you get kills without getting killed. A good senti, a tyrant, a reaver, a summoner's minions, anything that will make humans look in the oposite direction while you approach disguised, infect, illusion and finish or run off (if they turn back to focus fire you). Sentinel's sonic screech will also help a deceiver as the humans can't hear the footsteps, Reaver's smoke could help distract, summoner's minions and playing bait (with the use of barrier), well, anything that can distract will improve Deceiver's quality of life.

Dominate mind is very powerful with a coordinated team (situationnaly), like when humans are camping a spot that's very hard to break through, but in pubs it's asbolutely awful. Backstab is unreliable I'd suggest you to use infect all the time, because face stabbing is really not worth it and the risk of simply missing the hit isn't worth it either.

In the end the deceiver needs his allies to distract to be used at his full potential. If you open up with deceiver + disguise, the ennemies will hear footsteps, and will CC you even before you even come out of stealth. Don't spread misinformation such as deceiver being a good class to open up with.

you probable right, i was talking about pubs and vs people who dont listen to sounds like a predator, lol

Firehex
21st Sep 2015, 19:28
Come close to enemy team, use Disguise and hold rmb,come to enemy human and infest him from back, use clones, roll out and hide on roof, wait your team attack , help them. Easy :naughty:

ceppy_
19th Oct 2015, 17:17
Best way to play deceiver? Focus that one doucher who focused you in human round and just constantly over infect and target him. Works best on a scout. They really are terrible vs. deceivers up close. I mean, hey, its a pub right? What is a pub server if you can't troll people. It is the deceiver way.

Raptr0s
10th Nov 2015, 19:51
Solid advice here for sure, although, if I may interject.

If the terrain is right, the deceiver can can a good opener, so long as he can reliably escape. If everyones got their attention on a lone deceiver, it can make for a good opportunity to strike for your teammates.

The same idea goes for the other hand though, if people are fighting other vampires, the deceiver can walk right in almost completely unnoticed, as his footsteps are hard to hear with fighting going on.

Hell, sometimes people won't think twice when they see a disguised deceiver in the midst of battle. Too much going on for them to register!

You really just gotta feel out your opponent and take it from there.

Lilyafastics
17th Mar 2016, 20:07
And if your team is winning by a good margin and you think you have room for shenanigans, nothing is more fun than disguising yourself and following that lonely human that is desperately running for a healing station, letting him start healing while he thinks you (disguised) will cover him and finishing him off in the las second.

lucinvampire
18th Mar 2016, 13:09
It's always fun to play THAT annoying Deceiver :)

And if your team is winning by a good margin and you think you have room for shenanigans, nothing is more fun than disguising yourself and following that lonely human that is desperately running for a healing station, letting him start healing while he thinks you (disguised) will cover him and finishing him off in the las second.

Aw but that's just soooooo mean :p - I like it!

GenFeelGood
20th Mar 2016, 19:41
DM seems the easiest way to take down a Beastmaster when he has gone raptor and is out of melee range.

Roy644
21st Mar 2016, 08:01
DM seems the easiest way to take down a Beastmaster when he has gone raptor and is out of melee range.

True. But I feel like it's way to easy to counter raptor with DM... I guess the only way to avoid being DMed as you flee with the raptor is to get out low-profile and quickly escape the deceiver's line of sight, but still. Feels really like a cheap counter to me

TheDreamcrusher
22nd Mar 2016, 09:59
My favorite Deceiver setup:

Dominate Mind
Infect
Shroud
Displacement or Virulent Strain

The Methods

Obviously DM is used to subdue high damage dealers or steal players away to set up a kill. Infect is the go to skill since it's difficult to use Backstab without Disguise or even with Shroud because of the noise. However, Shroud proves to be a better defensive, offensive, and survival skill than Illusions does.

Upon taking damage while using DM, your health bar will appear. At your discretion, you can activate Shroud to hide it for defense. Should you need to engage a target in melee range, Infect and Shroud strafing is still effective against any class that isn't using CC. Disabling Curse, Hex, or Bola will all remove your transparency. The survival part is important; at a distance, you will be faint enough against the background you can and should walk in and execute in combat. Moderate to long distances are best. The thing is, when the deceiver goes low to the ground with the default execution animation, you are pretty hard to see against the body and the ground.

You could make the argument that you should take health boosting bonuses and use the Split Personalities talent to have some beefy Illusions which will at least take some fire off your team mates, but that's not my style. It also takes away an offensive option which I like to have more often than not.

gnome_dome
29th Mar 2016, 18:03
My main loadout is Disguise, Infect, Illusions, Zephon's Ruse. The cooldown talent is key to popping Disguise a second time during battle, sometimes to escape but usually to re-position and get another surprise attack. I also use Illusions primarily not to retreat, but to assist my advance. When I activate them, I consciously try to step behind them so that even if my enemy knows which ones are fake, they still block line of sight toward me. If the human focuses on the wrong one, that's a great opportunity to charge up a melee (if not receiving fire from others too; sniper arrow is also a danger).

I also try to take advantage of the melee animations. Having a wide claw sweep and rather fluid forward travel, I can sometimes aim to the side and curve into my target, in order to dodge fire and still hit. Backstab is generally inferior to Infect in every way, especially because it's more prone to missing. However if you want to use it, you may have greater success mid-battle instead of as an opener. If a human rolls away from you, you are nearly guaranteed full damage.