PDA

View Full Version : Most important unlock for each class?

HoopleDoople
25th Aug 2014, 19:31
While my ultimate goal is to obtain every ability, weapon, and perk, it's obviously going to take an extremely long time to amass that quantity of gold. Thus I'd like to intelligently spend my gold to gain access to the most important unlocks first. My priority is abilities rather than perks or human weapons, but if one of these is essential to optimal play for a given class it is worth noting.

My definition of an important unlock is one that is overall more useful than the default weapon/ability, opens up an entirely new and equally valid play style, or is designed to be superior in the hands of a skilled player. As an example, in my (somewhat limited) experience I would consider the Tyrant's Shockwave ability more reliably useful than Ground Slam. Jump Attack would be a Tyrant ability that opens up an entirely new play style, though to me it feels situational rather than equally valid to Charge. The Reaver's Savage Pounce should at least in theory be superior to Pounce for players skilled enough to get by without the aim assist (I have not unlocked this one to test it yet).

With this in mind please share what you consider the most important unlocks for each class. Don't feel obligated to address every class; I'd be more than happy with a solid opinion on your favorite class(es).

Cindil
25th Aug 2014, 20:37
IMO:

Hunter: All of his options are strong. Everything is really good except for blinding shot and normal bola. Whip and sticky combo well. Poison bola is a straight upgrade. Grenade for clearing rooftops. Explosive shot for finishing evaders.

Alchemist: Light Bomb is amazing! Sunlight vial is pretty "meh". Healing Mist for support play style.

Scout: Default scout is really good. Camo and grapple if you want a sneaky play style.

Prophet: Default also amazing. Sacrifice is really great healing if used properly (support play style obviously).

Reaver: Haze is good harassment if you're not getting much use outta smoke. Smoke is great though if used properly. Sweeping kick has a small aoe, staggers and won't immobilize you.

Tyrant: I hate Tyrant, hehe. It's all baaaaad. BAAAAD. :P Seen people get good use outta throw and marathon. I really don't know though. We hatessss it.

Sentinel: I think abduct > kidnap. Just because you're not hauling a body around as long getting shot to pieces. And, it's always assured damage. Airstrike is really good harassment and it only takes the smallest of air spaces to use it. Just hop off a bump of any kind and you can toss it out. Use it from behind walls to not get your face shot off. I prefer puncture because it doesn't blow my food away from me, but I could see wing flap used well in a CC setup with dive bomb.

Deceiver: Backstab is obnoxiously fickle. It will sometimes miss on completely stationary targets. Grab infect for consistent damage. Mind control can work if you have a team that works with it. I like disguise though. Hold right click down for 6 seconds of invisibility. Illusions have pretty lousy AI, often running right on top of one another in the same direction. But, I find it more useful than shroud. It's kinda difficult for the person you're fighting to see shroud, but it's not that difficult for any other human some distance away.

Hope it helps! o/

Sanguise23
25th Aug 2014, 21:30
IMO:

Hunter: All of his options are strong. Everything is really good except for blinding shot and normal bola. Whip and sticky combo well. Poison bola is a straight upgrade. Grenade for clearing rooftops. Explosive shot for finishing evaders.

Alchemist: Light Bomb is amazing! Sunlight vial is pretty "meh". Healing Mist for support play style.

Scout: Default scout is really good. Camo and grapple if you want a sneaky play style.

Prophet: Default also amazing. Sacrifice is really great healing if used properly (support play style obviously).

Reaver: Haze is good harassment if you're not getting much use outta smoke. Smoke is great though if used properly. Sweeping kick has a small aoe, staggers and won't immobilize you.

Tyrant: I hate Tyrant, hehe. It's all baaaaad. BAAAAD. :P Seen people get good use outta throw and marathon. I really don't know though. We hatessss it.

Sentinel: I think abduct > kidnap. Just because you're not hauling a body around as long getting shot to pieces. And, it's always assured damage. Airstrike is really good harassment and it only takes the smallest of air spaces to use it. Just hop off a bump of any kind and you can toss it out. Use it from behind walls to not get your face shot off. I prefer puncture because it doesn't blow my food away from me, but I could see wing flap used well in a CC setup with dive bomb.

Deceiver: Backstab is obnoxiously fickle. It will sometimes miss on completely stationary targets. Grab infect for consistent damage. Mind control can work if you have a team that works with it. I like disguise though. Hold right click down for 6 seconds of invisibility. Illusions have pretty lousy AI, often running right on top of one another in the same direction. But, I find it more useful than shroud. It's kinda difficult for the person you're fighting to see shroud, but it's not that difficult for any other human some distance away.

Hope it helps! o/

very solid, I agree with this whip/sticky FTW

MasterZtark
25th Aug 2014, 23:27
My definition of an important unlock is one that is overall more useful than the default weapon/ability, opens up an entirely new and equally valid play style, or is designed to be superior in the hands of a skilled player.

The default human weapons are all good (most consider them the best), and you may end up getting some new ones to try out from the class bags every 5 levels. I agree you shouldn't waste your gold on them first.

Hunter - Nothing wrong with Explosion Shot really, but for a different play style I would say Grenade is your best bet to buy first. Hitting Vampires on top of rooftops is something explosion shot is not very good for and doing that does become a very important skill later in the game, so good to practice it early.

Alchemist - Light Bomb def should be your first alchy skill. Flamewall is great but so are the other three secondary abilities so nothing wrong with trying any of them out after Light Bomb.

Scout - I would practice with all the default abilities here, they are great, and probably not worth spending your gold here first. Knives should always be used (Camo sucks, and mark target is a different style but a bad one compared to knives), and the only thing that could possibly replace Volley is the Trap (Grap hook is usually bad, and Turret is like a bad version of Volley).

Prophet - This class is a little tricky, because the abilities you pick can really change the Prophet's entire playstyle. The defaults are great though, so don't feel like you need to buy something for this class to be useful. Most of the other abilities really push the prophet more to a support class though.

Reaver - I would say get Sweeping Kick or Leap Attack first for this vamp, as they offer a different play style and are great special abilities too. The primary (smoke/haze) and secondary (evasion/shadow step) abilities are all pretty equal, but I would say avoid Haste because you really need an escape ability with Reaver (especially when first starting).

Tyrant - Everything's pretty equal for this guy, so I wouldn't waste your precious gold before other classes here. The defaults are solid. Charge/marathon are good and just sidegrades of each other, but Jump Attack does offer a bit of a different playstyle (although I wouldn't say it's any better than charge, or worse really). Ground Slam and Shockwave are pretty similar and equal, but Throw is a bit different. Throw is probably one of the most fun abilities to use, but it really only shines in 1 versus 1 fights right now. However if you get in the middle of a group of humans, ground slam/shockwave is a great ability to use, but Throw is terrible (even if you do manage to somehow finish the animation and throw a guy "far" away, you're usually dead right afterwards and the guy easily re-joins the battle with his long range weapon). Ignore Pain is probably what you should start with until you get very use to Tyrant, then maybe Enrage will be an option for you.

Sentinel - I don't have a ton of experience with this guy, but default Kidnap and Wing Flap are really more focused on CC. Nothing wrong with CC, and these might even be the best options some day in high level dedicated teams, but right now it seems like Abduct and Puncture are better options (especially in random matchups). As far as the secondary ability goes, Air Strike is probably the best (and what I would buy first for Sentinel) and offers a different playstyle than Dive Bomb. Dive Bomb isn't terrible, but I would say Air Strike is def better. Avoid Echolocation and Take Off, they just aren't good right now (especially compared to something like Air Strike).

Deceiver - Infect would be best choice for your first ability for Deceiver. Avoid Dominate Mind, it can't compete with the awesomeness of Disguise.

Cycatrix
27th Aug 2014, 18:30
Hunter:
poison bola>normal bola, but whip can be nice too, rent it and see whether you like bola or whip, then go with poison bola incase you pick bola

alch: not that much experience, but from what I see other players do: the light grenade is better than the blind grenade, the firewall is good for smoke using reavers, but the poison bomb is better for other cases, flamethrower is sweet but too short, healing mist is really strong but early on people dont know what it does

scout: swift bow might be better because then you can get drawn shots easier, most players I see waste too much time looking at a tiny zone. Later the storm bow is really good, but the draw time is really long. For skills the daggers are sweet because they stun, the mark is nice but not really a must, stealth can be nice, especially against newer players, but daggers are fine at first. For volley I find the turret better, stays longer, deals slightly more damage and the animation is shorter meaning you can get it off while being attacked. I dont really like the trap or the hook. Both make you lose your AoE.

prophet: stock is good

reaver: I like poison bomb more and I think it is pretty much an upgrade. With smoke bomb they have to option to remain in it and shoot blindly, with poison haze they will die if they try that. I would also take shadow step over evasion, evasion still screws you over with AOE and explosions. Shadowstep gets you out of any attack. Then it is also usable to go in if you dont have leap. Also you can get the sweeping kick, which is pretty sweet.

Tyrant: I like jump more because it is less loud and means you dont get shot to death while going in as much. shockwave is pretty sweet too but groundstomp does the job

sentinel: abduct is a big improvement because it is faster. Puncture makes you a better killer. Secondaries are mostly about taste.

deceiver: stock is ****, if you want to pick deceiver get infect and shroud. Infect does slightly less damage than backstab but easily outdamages a failed backstab (the back/front detector screwed me over enoough times) and then you still have the spreading that makes it 10 times better. Shroud is much better, it allows you to charge up an attack while still invisible and then combo it with infect to pretty much blow someone down. It is much better than disguise in going in because unlike disguise it means the enemy doesnt suddenly have 4 teammates.

So:
Get poison bomb and shadow step asap. Then see what primary skill you like on hunter. If you like deceiver get the deceiver skills after that. After that you can go for turret to replace volley on scout, tyrant jump and sentinel upgrades.

nicoAS92
31st Aug 2014, 08:48
i like the explotion shot on hunter, but the bola is not that good as it gets the enemy for like 2 secs! i will preffer that one if it lasts 6 or 9 seconds...
alch: i don't like this one too much... haven't played enough to enjoy it...

scout and prophet are still locked for me so... :/

reaver and tyrant are great i love them just the way they are...

Razaiim
8th Sep 2014, 14:31
Hunter: either whip or grenade
Scout: is fine as is, but either auto turret/trap
Alchemist: light bomb
Prophet: standard is most powerful, but disable or drain are handy to have

Reaver: Choking Haze
Tyrant: Shockwave
Sentinel: airstrike
Deceiver: Infect

HoopleDoople
8th Sep 2014, 16:40
Hunter: either whip or grenade
Scout: is fine as is, but either auto turret/trap
Alchemist: light bomb
Prophet: standard is most powerful, but disable or drain are handy to have

Reaver: Choking Haze
Tyrant: Shockwave
Sentinel: airstrike
Deceiver: Infect

Having played quite a bit more this certainly seems to be right on the money. Not to say all these abilities are by far the best, but that they're the most reliably useful.

Jallford
9th Sep 2014, 12:50
As other's have said, Deceivers should ditch Backstab and get Infect for generally more reliable damage. It's also a lot more fun.