PDA

View Full Version : Returning Impressions and Experiences

Razaiim
30th Aug 2015, 22:14
So I've been away for a long time. Long long time. I stopped just short of the Crucible patch back in march. Basically here's a thread of my impressions from a few hours of getting back into it:

So far the game seems to be in a pretty good state. Haven't had any bugs or crashes, party and lobby system seem all good, and matchmaking seems to be pretty speed and somewhat on point for skill levels it also seems like the average player is much better than when I left off so it's left me some work to do.

As far as balance goes, none of the classes seem to be overly broken and the new Tyrant attacks has been a great help to bring him up to the other vampires. That said it seems like the Reaver has faded out in popularity, and I've noticed smoke bomb seems a lot less potent, while choking haze still best serves as area denial over actual damage. This is interesting as even when I left, the reaver was going through some tuning but was still one of the most played and better classes out there.

Alot of my matches have had high scouts and alchemist counts, I've been seeing matches with 3 alchemists and a scout, or 3 scouts and an alchemist, and a lot less of prophets and even hunters. This strikes me as odd combined with the lessened presence of the reaver and the heightened presence of Deciever/Summoner, the scout really does not fair well in games currently. The Shield Bear seems to be an extremely rare pick, and I don't think it's solely for lack of diversity (rousing cry still the only option), and it's odd to me as he still feels fairly powerful.

I like the forge. A lot. This has been a very good addition to the game, and while I'm still trying to salvage all my accumulated loot and excess mysterious items, I've been upgrading my gear. The ability to enchant other abilities leads to some interesting min/maxing scenarios or just plain covering all the bases (That is 6 potential buffs/debuffs) which I think is great.

The Crucible is a cool map. It feels like there's nowhere to run and hide, and even the best spots for humans are still easily breachable from a number of directions. It seems to best emphasize the idea of nowhere is safe, for vampires or humans. It can definitely contend with one of my favourite maps.

My biggest negative criticism, besides the starvation of skills for the summoner, deceiver, Shield Bear, and sentinel primaries, is the Auto-completion feature once you hit a no-win scenario. I saw the requests and whine threads and what have you, but never believed it would be implemented. I'd hoped it wouldn't be implemented. I understand it's purpose as an anti-frustration mechanic but it takes away from the experience (literally). This is first and foremost a huge hit to progression. Gold earned is impacted from generating lower scores and therefore less bonus gold (even for the winning team). Experience gained is very hampered, and makes it time consuming to level gear and classes, as you can really only play one faction for a full round.
---Suggestions for replacement features: At the no-win point, remove the leaver penalty, or add a surrender vote, or boost experienced gained (significantly for the losing team) so that the progression doesn't feel hampered.

That's all for now, sorry about the mess I was just writing as it came to me.

GenocidePete
31st Aug 2015, 16:11
My biggest negative criticism, besides the starvation of skills for the summoner, deceiver, Shield Bear, and sentinel primaries, is the Auto-completion feature once you hit a no-win scenario. I saw the requests and whine threads and what have you, but never believed it would be implemented. I'd hoped it wouldn't be implemented. I understand it's purpose as an anti-frustration mechanic but it takes away from the experience (literally). This is first and foremost a huge hit to progression. Gold earned is impacted from generating lower scores and therefore less bonus gold (even for the winning team). Experience gained is very hampered, and makes it time consuming to level gear and classes, as you can really only play one faction for a full round.
---Suggestions for replacement features: At the no-win point, remove the leaver penalty, or add a surrender vote, or boost experienced gained (significantly for the losing team) so that the progression doesn't feel hampered.
The official "whine" thread regarding the change to how matches end contains thorough refutations of every one of your points. I suggest reading it.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=157773

Razaiim
31st Aug 2015, 19:05
I've read through it, and I have not changed my mind on the topic. I notice that you are by far the strongest supporter of the new system.

I'm not interested in creating another thread about this sole topic, so I'll keep it short (ish). This change is only good for two things:
-->competitive games, meaning tournaments (Official or otherwise) and Ranked matches, which are determined by wins and losses.
-->Gold gain and item gain via random end of match rewards. This system hampers gold gain via score (I'll admit, this is not very significant) and experience (deserves it's own point) for both sides, reduces play-time of the opposing faction, removes the ability to muck about during that after loss period, and shortens an experience which could be enjoyable for both sides, regardless of score, and also increases the likelihood of joining a match in it's final moments, which is a huge waste of time for a player. Also keep in mind about how faction balance swings as you progress upwards in skill level from vampires (lower level) to humans (once the team has grasped the stay in LoS concept) back to vampire (co-ordinated concentrated attacks) back to slightly favouring humans (technical skill, awareness and intimate knowledge of abilites), which means that even games that reach scores of 30-10 or 30-15, can still be enjoyed by the losing team as they switch sides. This change also severely hampers the fun (the primary appeal of the game to the audience) by reducing play-time without impacting lobby times either way

About the experience gain being neutered: this is a big deal. Firstly, experience is tied directly to your progression. Classes are unlocked via tokens at profile levels of 5, 10, 15 and so on. New equipment (often enchanted) is unlocked at class level 5 10 15 and so on. Keep in mind the future Talent system which Psyonix has recently announced, which appears to be replacing the perks with unlocked small bonuses at set class levels. Removing this progression increases the barrier between older and newer players, as it will take players longer to unlock new classes, and earn those level rewards, and hamper their available diversity in match.

riccetto80
2nd Sep 2015, 00:04
i dont think gold is affected from match ending sooner, the big chunk of gold is the win/lose gold, the old for the performance in match is very little

GenFeelGood
2nd Sep 2015, 00:19
I wasn't big on the end of game feature either; but it's grown on me since it's implementation, it's nice getting more matches in during the times I can play. I think the Vanguard's popularity will improve once the Bulwark ability gets here; but I actually like that the Hunter and Reaver's popularity have faded a little, it seems as though people are moving from general classes to more specialized ones (the Scout owns the long range and the Alchemist owns the short range).