PDA

View Full Version : DX11?

riccetto80
21st Aug 2014, 11:29
it is possible to play the game with dx11 and not dx9?

FireWorks_
21st Aug 2014, 12:58
not yet but maybe a dev can clear this up in regards of future plans

Psyonix_Eric
21st Aug 2014, 17:29
Gladly. :)

There is no DX11 support at the moment in Nosgoth. It is something myself and the tech lead are looking into, but I don't know to what extent we'd want to add in. Things like dynamic tesselation are cool but almost entirely impractical in a competitive game like this, especially when there has been so much talk lately about making the game run faster/better. There are some benefits to performance that can actually come from switch to DX11 with regards to how it handles some lighting, but it's not a simple flip-of-a-switch so it will take time to look into.

FireWorks_
21st Aug 2014, 19:19
Thanks, Eric! :)

Gotta say I personally come from the more competitive side too, meaning minimize distracting eye candy and go for stable 120Hz at least. I feel really bad for all the awesome art that goes in a game as its wasted on me in many cases.

But from a marketing aspect... Someone asked recently (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=12706&p=112713#post112713) why his performance was so bad on his highend gaming laptop. I compared his GPU with my 3,5year old, 200€ 560Ti and was a bit shocked to see that the laptop had extremely bad performance (according to benchmarks...) in dx9 and dx10, even in comparison with my old card. It could only shine in dx11 and that made the experience for the laptop guy pretty bad. I got no clue how much of an issue this is truly as I lost track of the hardware market though.

riccetto80
22nd Aug 2014, 08:21
Gladly. :)

There is no DX11 support at the moment in Nosgoth. It is something myself and the tech lead are looking into, but I don't know to what extent we'd want to add in. Things like dynamic tesselation are cool but almost entirely impractical in a competitive game like this, especially when there has been so much talk lately about making the game run faster/better. There are some benefits to performance that can actually come from switch to DX11 with regards to how it handles some lighting, but it's not a simple flip-of-a-switch so it will take time to look into.

Com on guys we are in 2014, how is possible a new game is release only dx9? :D

From what i know dx11 run better of dx9 in new graphic card, no?

anyway, this is, if till this point you dont added dx11 i guess will be almost impossible for future, or anyway will not be a close future.

About optimize the performance, is a must to do, my cpu is under 70% when i play nosgoth and i have drop from 60 to 30/40 fps, seems a under utilization of cpu who remain at 70% during the drop, i will check also about my gpu utilization and i will open another topic i think.

Thanks, Eric! :)

Gotta say I personally come from the more competitive side too, meaning minimize distracting eye candy and go for stable 120Hz at least. I feel really bad for all the awesome art that goes in a game as its wasted on me in many cases.

But from a marketing aspect... Someone asked recently (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=12706&p=112713#post112713) why his performance was so bad on his highend gaming laptop. I compared his GPU with my 3,5year old, 200€ 560Ti and was a bit shocked to see that the laptop had extremely bad performance (according to benchmarks...) in dx9 and dx10, even in comparison with my old card. It could only shine in dx11 and that made the experience for the laptop guy pretty bad. I got no clue how much of an issue this is truly as I lost track of the hardware market though.

yes, laptop guy like me (1.500 euro gaming laptop, lol) can high benefit of dx11 engine, both ati and nvidia mobile gpu run much better in dx11 compared to dx9.