PDA

View Full Version : Reaver: To Pounce, or not to Pounce

mingo123
18th Aug 2014, 20:06
Hey guys, this is my first forum post so sorry im someone came up with this already.
I would like to discuss about what primary ability you pick for your reaver and why.

When I started the game (free weekend btw ) I quickly swapped the pounce ability to savage pounce, because I thought, I may aswell trade the aim assists for more damage and it also helps me improve my game.
I'm level 30 now with a good amount of playtime and understanding of the game. After trying all the primary skills I am stuck with sweeping kick. I found that in most engages, it would be too hard to aim for the savage pounce and missing it would leade to me taking a lot of damage while dealing none. And even if I hit it, I often times just ate a bola or a lot of damage which would stop me from getting the full damage through. In the end, sweeping kick feels just a lot better in most cases. It guarantees to get damage through, sometimes on multiple targets while not having to pin yourself and the target down and be vulnerable.

Tl; dr: What is your favourite and also most effective primary skill for the reaver, what do you think about the kick compared to any of the pounces?

Thank you guys for reading or just answering my question and I hope to see you ingame soon!

Sanguise23
18th Aug 2014, 20:14
i have tried them all and i LOVE savage pounce, kick may be more effective but i like the surgical strike of the pounce, not to mention pouncing kidnaps and tyrant throws or double pouncing with teammate to much fun to pass up

Blastin_Foolz
18th Aug 2014, 20:33
Savage Pounce is love; Savage Pounce is life.

Sorrowgate
18th Aug 2014, 20:35
My favourite skill is the Savage Pounce, even if you do get bola'd that's a pretty strong lot of upfront damage and it's fun just flying through the air and then ripping into people. Leap Attack is my vote for most effective Reaver Skill, full movement speed while crouched and instant jumps as well as fast damage if you land it on your opponent helps hit and run tactics and escapes. The other pounces are hard to escape with because taking 250 damage cancels the charge.

AreZee
18th Aug 2014, 22:05
I'm stuck with Sweeping Kick. Imho far more reliable dmg then pounce and afaik capable to deal AoE dmg. I run around with choking haze and shadowstep. Most fights are Choking Haze > Jump in the fray > 1-3 melee hits + dodge rolls (depending on charged ones and the dmg of haze) > kick > shadowstep to jet on out of there. If you execute this combo well you only lose the tiny little amount of HP you regenerate after the fight while waiting for haze cd :cool:

mingo123
18th Aug 2014, 22:47
Thanks for the replies guys! @AreZee this is excatly the setup I am using aswell. The problem I have with Savage Pounce was that if the humans camp really well and I fail my pounce I feel like I contribute next to nothing to the fight. Then again there is always the dream :worship:to hit the savage pounce from a high building at 'The Fane' and kill someone whitout taking a bola to the face mid-pounce ;)

BR0sephStalin
18th Aug 2014, 23:43
I'm still running leap attack. Low cooldown and great for mobility. I'm not a fan of kick as I think it is too situational, but it certainly has a place in the game. A good reaver that knows how to utilize it properly can be scary. Haven't tried savage pounce yet but I would probably mash E after I used it to jump off the target as quickly as possible. Staying still in this game gets you punished HARD.

Pisthetaerus
19th Aug 2014, 01:01
Savage Pounce is love; Savage Pounce is life.
This. The upfront damage and the range make it more useful than kick/leap imo. You may not always have time to claw out their guts, but it's nice to have that option if you catch a straggler or their team mates are too busy with your own, and if you land it on them in the middle of a choking haze it's practically an instakill. If you're getting bola'd all the time then you're probably not being careful enough with your timing/positioning.

OnlyLogic
19th Aug 2014, 04:47
I find savage pounce to be MUCH more of a team skill. If you have a well timed entry, a distracted enemy team and haven't been spotted (or are just good at roaming), you'll get a pounce 80% of the time which almost certainly means half a humans health gone.

Sweeping kick is more of a rambo-style ability that allows you to run in and cause havoc. This is a little less reliant on teamwork (don't get me wrong, all engagements need at least some teamwork) and is ultimately better with LMB spam, something you encounter more often in pubs.

Ultimately, it's up to you. I prefer pounce. I have kick on my second Reaver. Love it too.

mingo123
19th Aug 2014, 11:18
I totally agree with you OnlyLogic. When the engages are spot on, savage pounce works really well. The reason I switched to kick was probably because the pub games I got into didn't have that kind of strong engage from the vampire side. But your replies made me think about using the pounce again. The problem is, most of the time there is no distraction before you pounce. I remember the matches from level 1 to 10, where every Reaver was using smoke bomb. With this setup, you would almost always get a good pounce. Unfortunately, every Reaver, including myself, seems to have switched to Choking Haze making those pounces a lot harder to land. On the other hand, like Pistethaerus said, pouncing on someone inside a choking haze is almost always an instakill.

OnlyLogic
19th Aug 2014, 12:29
Hey, I still use smoke bomb and pounce!

I try to play with friends and coordinate. Not to increase WLR, but to have fun! To try over and over again to coordinate a tyrant's toss into a sentinel grab and fail... over and over again. See, that's fun! Or to have dibs on whoever as a 4-reaver stack :P

If every you want to stack, just add me on steam :D

FatalSystemError
19th Aug 2014, 23:02
Definitely a choking haze/sweeping kick kind of guy. :cool:

Illusa
20th Aug 2014, 00:45
Dont forget as a human you can see your fellow humans in the smoke taking dmg.. thus you can tell if someone got leaped on and to shoot slightly above them. Toss on the sound queues as well, smoke is really only good as a gap closer and that is it.

I prefer Leap Attack for three reasons:
1) very very short CD (8s vs 12s) can spam it more to gap close with no worries.
2) it lowers my hitbox even though they can hear me. I cannot tell you how many times I got scouts to miss me because I queued it and people shot over me as I passed by.
3) doing more than the pounce requires a LOT of teamwork to actually work well. And since this game is pug play for me, I simply don't count on that to happen. It is too easy to get free damage off on the Reaver doing it.

Also Leap Attack is a good way to screw with humans in hit and run tactics.

Exiled998
20th Aug 2014, 01:39
i run guerrilla warfare tactics for my reaver , i am on the assumption i dont always get an organized team so my loadout for reaver is :
haze , kick and evasion (sometimes changed to shadow step depending on human dmg types) or change kick to leap attack. Unorganized team is a norm so i pick these skills to stay alive more than getting kills , these skills by themselves are able to score kills no problem due to the huge burst it offers so i am just waiting to play my cards right.

Running wisdom perk for vampire too because i focus on skills more than just rushing in zerg style , i play by tactics like wear them down as much as i can with haze and wisdom perk helps with that, and my kick goes off cooldown faster.

Mayhzon
20th Aug 2014, 12:10
i run guerrilla warfare tactics for my reaver , i am on the assumption i dont always get an organized team so my loadout for reaver is :
haze , kick and evasion (sometimes changed to shadow step depending on human dmg types) or change kick to leap attack. Unorganized team is a norm so i pick these skills to stay alive more than getting kills , these skills by themselves are able to score kills no problem due to the huge burst it offers so i am just waiting to play my cards right.

Running wisdom perk for vampire too because i focus on skills more than just rushing in zerg style , i play by tactics like wear them down as much as i can with haze and wisdom perk helps with that, and my kick goes off cooldown faster.
Wow, that is exactly the loadout I'm running, too. Seems it's really popular.

I find the pounces just to be too unreliable. Even pub players check quickly for teammates that get pounced and you paint yourself as a target when you use it. Especially in games where the engagements are really dirty and rough, the pounce user is in disadvantage.

Leap Attack is nice, too. The kick is easier to land IMO, though.

mingo123
20th Aug 2014, 18:04
Another plus the kick has is that in games where you are totally stomping, you can stomp even more. The best moment I ever had was when a Sentinel next to me Wing Flapped and hit 3 humans and I immediately kicked all 3 of them right next to each other.
Another situation is: The fight is raging, you just got out and are very close to a human but he hasnt seen you yet. You charge your melee attack and follow up with a kick, that guarantees you probably more than 700 damage and you can easily get out or go for the kill after that.

Cradlis
21st Aug 2014, 16:43
For me it's Leap Attack, Choking Haze and Evasion. Mobility, hit and run, harassment, all of these for the win! Pressure and no moments of rest for the humans!

I almost have 2:1 ratio with this loadout :)