PDA

View Full Version : deuse ex remaster/remake discussion

tracerr
16th Aug 2015, 22:25
with the recent trend of hd remasters and kickstarted funded remakes and spiritual successors it doesnt seem too far a stretch of the imagination that this might be on the cards in the not too distant future. after watching specter and co replaying the the first game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo , it seemed as if some of the original team still care enough about their game that they could get involved as well.

best case scenario, a full remake and remaster of the original with some of the original team, cut content would now be added back. areas could now be expanded they they had to scale back for tech limitations. assuming the cast is still around they could be re hired to record additional work. im not the greatest fan of the the newer deus ex but it had its moments, so some of the tech/characters/style could be added to remake to make it mesh more with newer parts.

while fan made efforts are good, it would be nice to get the orginal players involved to maybe do a a directors cut type thing. heres some things that i reckon could be up for implementation.

vr support
some limited open world in larger maps
cut content, ie space level/white house/president bunker/mexican inv
female hero/avatar for women that wanted it
destructible enviroments (not just a yellow cut out here destructive enviroments)
bullet time
driving flying sections
co-op adam and alex jensen of some levels
another ending added to the trio
let me visit sections of game after its finished
better mechs new enemies and better ai
more skills weapons etc
updated hacking and more papers/emails and net stuff to browse
remastered and expanded soundtrack
your own hideout/stash/base for certain areas of the game

while some of these might be a bit pie in the sky as there are so many different locales its impossible to fit a skyrim type open world onto game, i think a lot of this could be achieved, the hong kong level for example is big enough in scope.

maybe a petition and a registration of some interest on the issue could get the ball rolling, or do as shenmue has done and get a kicksterter going, thoughts anyone?

Shralla
17th Aug 2015, 03:11
I might, MIGHT be on board with a remake that just brings the old mechanics onto a new engine with more polish. Any changes, be they in the name of balance or something else, I would immediately lose interest.

CyberP
17th Aug 2015, 13:41
I might, MIGHT be on board with a remake that just brings the old mechanics onto a new engine with more polish. Any changes, be they in the name of balance or something else, I would immediately lose interest.

Which is rather ridiculous. There is no way anybody would remake DX featuring the same AI for example. It would stand out like a sore thumb. The AI was not complete.
A lot of the old mechanics, enjoyable as they are, are extremely flawed and said flaws would be very noticeable on a shiny new engine.

Specom
17th Aug 2015, 16:01
God, not this thread again... For the 10th time!

DoF, Bloom, Bokeh, Chromatic aberration, film grain, etc.
Cut content that will ruin the game
Destructible environment done wrong * la BF3/4
Bullet time for Hollywood fans
Driving sections that don't fit in
Hacking minigame
Remastered soundtrack or throwing loops that are similar all the time, * la McCann

Fixed

CyberP
17th Aug 2015, 17:31
A lot of the old mechanics, enjoyable as they are, are extremely flawed and said flaws would be very noticeable on a shiny new engine.

I should expand by mentioning that a lot of them are perfection too. DX1 is design excellence, but again, a lot would stand out, such as the braindead AI and some various other specific systems and mechanics.

NUMBER8ISGREAT
17th Aug 2015, 20:29
Leave the game in the dust where it belongs and focus on the new game.

Shralla
19th Aug 2015, 15:34
You mistake a lack of caring for a lack of understanding.