PDA

View Full Version : Forum vote function to better show what we want and need

enkaku-silence-
15th Aug 2015, 13:02
Since Nosgoth is Early Access, feedback is necessary for the developers to make the game the players want.
I think I am not the only one, when I say that in the recent time it went a little bit downhill with the communication between the developers and players, though I have a decent feeling that it is slightly improving again.

There is always a problem with feedback in general. The ones who complain scream the loudest. Even if there are only five people complaining about something it can be those five people making a change, that the rest of the community dislikes.

The idea is kind of inspired by what CD Projekt does with their Galaxy-Client. They have a site where the users can demand certain features and vote for them. The developers also can mark the featueres as "in progress" or "completed".

It would be great to have the features implemented in the feedback and suggestions-section, aswell as in the bug-report-section.

We could up- and (at least for the suggestions) downvote on our features that we would like to see, and the bugs that we want to be fixed first.

So we, the players can show the developers where to set their priorities.

FireWorks_
15th Aug 2015, 13:50
Well, there is a poll from a user (http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=161446) open atm and if you look at "new thread", you can create a poll at the bottom. Things change it seems.
I guess last time we both checked on this matter, it was forbidden. Due to "the vocal minority coming to forums and the silent majority just playing" IIRC.

Cant wait to see lots of pointless and a few very brilliant polls inc :D

enkaku-silence-
15th Aug 2015, 14:50
I did check for a poll function, but I was blind. Found it now.
Unfortunately you can't add a poll to an existing thread that you created.

I think polls are a positive thing, though my suggestion with the standard vote would be a lot easier to handle (for users).

SonixSquad
15th Aug 2015, 14:56
You have to tick the box and set options before you publish your first post.

GenocidePete
15th Aug 2015, 17:08
There is always a problem with feedback in general. The ones who complain scream the loudest. Even if there are only five people complaining about something it can be those five people making a change, that the rest of the community dislikes
You've hit upon why this would be a senseless addition in your own post: forum-goers are not an unbiased, random sample of Nosgoth players, so the poll results would be unscientific and practically meaningless.

Ideas are fine. Arguments to support those ideas are fine. Attempting to use flawed statistics as evidence of community desire is not fine.

enkaku-silence-
15th Aug 2015, 18:16
You've hit upon why this would be a senseless addition in your own post: forum-goers are not an unbiased, random sample of Nosgoth players, so the poll results would be unscientific and practically meaningless.

Ideas are fine. Arguments to support those ideas are fine. Attempting to use flawed statistics as evidence of community desire is not fine.

Yes, of course it doesn't represent the whole community. But it draws a better picture.
Lot of people just read posts and don't answer.

The reason I got this idea is because one of my threads with a serious suggestion has more than 350 views, but only 8 replies made by 5 people. So what about the other views?
Did they not like the idea? There's just feedback from 5 people, when there could've been a lot more.

People that answer a thread like this most of the time do so, because they don't agree or have something to add to it.
But do the other viewers agree now or not?

You know from the first view it seems like my idea is unpopular with only 5 people discussing it. But if the others just could show their appreciation or rejection with just one click it would be way better.

The developers need some kind of feedback and it will never be the whole playerbase that anwers. And everybody can participate, so if they don't. Their fault. Like politics. If you don't vote, don't complain.

And what about bugs? I want users to vote on bug-report threads to kind of show which bugs bother us the most.

It would still be better than what we have now.
Look at this: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy

Of course not every user participates there, but you can't deny it is better and more representative than a simple forum.

GenFeelGood
15th Aug 2015, 19:03
A one time :thumb: and :thud: option attached to posts, be it the OP or feedback to the OP, would be nice in better displaying it's popularity among the community. It's a bit of a waste of space to just post that you agree with a post and have nothing else to add to it.