PDA

View Full Version : Sentinel Map Additions?

Glitchfull
15th Aug 2014, 04:35
There are two maps in particular that could use these additions specificly, but additons to the others would be a welcome plus.

On the map Freeport and the one with the big smokestack/bondfire/furnace in the middle (Don't remember the name after play for this long) seem to not be very well made for Sentinel at all. The rest of the other maps of a high central point plus a couple of other high perches for Sentinels to sit and watch from, but on those two maps there is not. The furnace map as no perch what so ever and Freeport only has the crane, but it is so far off from the rest of the map that it's only useful for when the humans are directly under it. There is also the boats on the water, but they aren't very helpful either being displaced too.

The simple request is to just add a couple of high perches to these maps and keep this in mind for any future maps you wish to release.

Cindil
15th Aug 2014, 09:58
Wouldn't be quite so bad if vamps could actually grasp the walls and hang from them. But, we're forced to leap onto these flat coverless rooftops with this exaggerated meter length hop begging for a shot to the face. :(

Grockr
15th Aug 2014, 12:29
Wouldn't be quite so bad if vamps could actually grasp the walls and hang from them. But, we're forced to leap onto these flat coverless rooftops with this exaggerated meter length hop begging for a shot to the face. :(
you just gave me an idea, let vampires fully control their climb movement with WASD, instead of automatically climbing up when shift is pressed

Blacksheep-25
15th Aug 2014, 13:00
you just gave me an idea, let vampires fully control their climb movement with WASD, instead of automatically climbing up when shift is pressed

THIS! That would be so damn good!

Sorrowgate
15th Aug 2014, 16:26
I wouldn't recommend using big tall perches, Sentinels can fly but should keep it's use to a minimum to avoid being completely shot up. Flying is great for smoothly gliding between rooftops and performing all sorts of evasive midair tricks but is very loud and still requires cover, at least until you gain height to kidnap/abduct at a decent diving pace.

Freeport is less of a problem for Sentinels and more for vampires in general, there are two good spots on that map where humans can stay to minimise flanking while giving a huge view without any decent cover for vampires to approach from for a while. Sentinels can still fly in once their team is engaged using the back entrances so to speak (for the port area I like to move around to the crane and come in from behind, flying over the water. It gets a little more problematic when they're in the middle of the port rather than the corner though, you just have to have your team engage and pray).

The map you can't remember the name of is Valeholm, which in my opinion is pretty good for Sentinels. Do you know the healing station that is up a height, in the area of the map with the wall/corridor that has stairs leading up to the top of it, that humans often use as a fort? You can climb onto the buildings behind that healing station and hug the wall to avoid most weapons, you can even climb the full way up from cover to avoid being spotted, though I don't know how to describe the approach :P

Glitchfull
16th Aug 2014, 03:05
You do need high perches to gain speed without using the dodge boost, which is still unknown if that's an intended mechanic, my guess would be no. Excluding that move, without high perches you can not get a decent amount of speed to avoid getting completely pelted.

The side effect of adding these high perches is that it gives the vampires more cover, so this would help every vampire out on Freeport. It does bring up another issue which is invisible walls, such as the top of the corner bunker on Freeport which you can't climb and the burnt down building on Valeholm which is an incredibly annoying spot to place one. Also, just hoping the conditions are right is not a good way to balance or suggest tactical play off of. They need to give the players the tools to not have to rely on "The perfect moment" which usually will not appear in high play.

I know the spot, which is only one of two safe spots on the map. This spot being low relative to the humans and easily grenade spammed and the other being a spot where the humans have a very easy time getting view off. I personally think Valeholm is a terribly designed map with tons of nonsensical invisible walls and unfairly open for the vampires. Yeah, it's great as a human, but terrible as a vampire. If 50% of the map is bad, it's not a good map.

Also, giving control to the player climbing as vampire to both choose/change direction and speed with the ability to just hang there would be a huge improvement.

Sorrowgate
16th Aug 2014, 16:19
You don't need high perches to gain speed, you just need to fly up a little and as long as you're nose diving you're going to be fast enough to grab people, you don't need a huge height for that to happen. The best use of a big height is the speed combined with the screech being farther away from humans so they are less likely to react, but any normal sized building can do.

I never suggested that relying on a perfect situation is a good thing, just that it happens in Freeport and is a problem for vampires besides the Sentinel. Tall cover isn't the solution, closer cover or an extra flanking option is.

Valeholm is a map that does ask for you to be pretty active, but then any decent human can force you off of a tall perch on any map so it's nothing new. The invisible wall is annoying and I'd like to see it removed for flying around that area as the Sentinel but those houses provide plenty of cover for Sentinels to appear out of nowhere and grab and no zone makes attacking humans impossible. That high perch is vulnerable to grenades, but there's plenty of room up there to avoid grenades while still hugging the wall and you can dive off of the side out of sight, activate flight, and latch back on once the grenade is gone. If humans are busy throwing skills at you they aren't watching the vampires coming from behind because that fort-like area has some decent flanking options.

Giving control to vampire wall climbing would be great.

Hazmire
16th Aug 2014, 19:52
I think in general the devs should highly consider adding environmental hazards e.g. trap doors, spike walls etc... it would be nice if maybe some were also exclusive to each side. Would make the maps a lot more exciting, and also add a whole new level of depth to how people play and bring in a lot more strategies.