PDA

View Full Version : Questions and theories.... (spoilers!)

gemz2411
8th Aug 2015, 05:06
I want to discuss the beginning of episode 4, I also have a lot of questions too! We see Max has entered into an alternate reality. Same place but different circumstances.... obviously with Chloe being paralyzed and not knowing who Rachel is.... if you look at Max's journal very little is written in it to the actual reality and her texts are more 'vortex clubbish' more rebelious, more *****y. Max has taken on the place of the Max in the alternate universe as anyone can tell.... but why would she be interested in members of the vortex club as friends in the alternate universe but in the other universe she despises them?

Now this... this is the most hardest decision I ever had to make in the game.... accepting or refusing to end Chloe's life. I had to rewind so many times and no matter which choice I made I would lose Chloe as a friend or in life.... I went with accept as in my own opinion on euthanasia should be legalized to some extent. Technically if you chose to accept Chloe's 'suicide' (I say it like that because she only wanted her own pain and her parents debts to end) it is illegal and a crime and I can imagine that coming back to bite me in the arse if Max ends up back in the alternate reality.
Do any of the choices we make in this alternate reality affect us at all further in the game... what do you think?

Could there be an alternate reality where Joyce didn't marry or meet David? I really can't stand obnoxious paranoias but maybe he might pull a Snape (Harry Potter) where we find out he never was against us but protecting us and we all end up loving David? Who knows.

Okay do you think Max made the right choice not telling Chloe about the alternate universe where William never died but Chloe ended up paralyzed 5 years later? But then again at the end of the last episode Chloe was flipping out about how she thinks the universe is against her so only telling her that will give more fuel to her theory.

Do you think Nathan is so troubled because he is taking the fall for everything? Or he's being blackmailed to help Jefferson into luring girls? I mean in Episode 1 Nathan says to Chloe "I'M TIRED OF PEOPLE BOSSING ME AROUND" when he pulls the gun on her.

Next, is there any actual proof... other than pics he takes of the girls, that Jefferson actually rapes these girls? All we see in the files is Kate and Rachel being tied up and sexually exposed whilst drugged up. There's no proof that shows he does rape these girls. If you stop Kate from jumping in episode 2, Kate never mentions that she was raped...... now that I think about it she said once she felt a sharp pain in her neck she couldn't remember anything else so yea she probably won't remember being raped.... the theory still stands. What does he do with these girls and why did he feel that he had to bury Rachel?

Next theory, Rachel is Max. Or Max is Rachel. I have compared the photo of Rachel to Max and they both look really similar only Rachel is wearing more make-up.
Who knows?

Okay so why does Chloe in the alternate reality not know Rachel Amber?
Was it one of the tug and pull strategies to fate? (tug) William dies + Max leaves (pull) = Chloe meets and befriends Rachel. But it seems if William is alive but Max still leaves, Chloe never meets Rachel.... so it's safe to say it's her own Dad's death that leads her to become friends with RA.

Tataboj
8th Aug 2015, 07:44
**** you log out system and not restored auto-saved content! I've been writing this for 35 minutes!
1. Max was in the Vortex because she wasn't traumatized by Chloe's desperation.
2. I am pretty sure we won't be able to get to that timeline. It's impossible since Max buried the photo. But perhaps the choice will matter. Max could tell Chloe about the timeline and Chloe will react differently depending on your decision.
3. In my game I think David is kind of on my side. Like Max said: "Maybe he actually wants to help. In his own messed up way".
4. See 2.
5. Well, we don't know. Ep. 5 will bring the answers.
6. No, it isn't (yet?).
7. I don't like the Max is Rachel theory. This game has a supernatural thing but everything else is realistic, just like movies Stranger Than Fiction or Next. If they say in Ep. 5 something like "Oh, I forgot to mention, ghosts are real and they will help you through this door", I would be really disappointed. But this will not happen because Dontnod are awesome and they know what they're doing. ;)
8. Chloe was friend with Rachel because she was feeling abandoned since William died and Max moved. Max didn't send her a single message in the original timeline but in the alternate one she was actually sending her letters and photos from vacations.

LordBattleBeard
8th Aug 2015, 15:14
I want to discuss the beginning of episode 4, I also have a lot of questions too! We see Max has entered into an alternate reality. Same place but different circumstances.... obviously with Chloe being paralyzed and not knowing who Rachel is.... if you look at Max's journal very little is written in it to the actual reality and her texts are more 'vortex clubbish' more rebelious, more *****y. Max has taken on the place of the Max in the alternate universe as anyone can tell.... but why would she be interested in members of the vortex club as friends in the alternate universe but in the other universe she despises them?Its the whole butterfly effect theory. One little thing can alter so much more. Tataboj pretty much nailed it w the exact reason.

Now this... this is the most hardest decision I ever had to make in the game.... accepting or refusing to end Chloe's life.

I had to rewind so many times and no matter which choice I made I would lose Chloe as a friend or in life.... I went with accept as in my own opinion on euthanasia should be legalized to some extent. Technically if you chose to accept Chloe's 'suicide' (I say it like that because she only wanted her own pain and her parents debts to end) it is illegal and a crime and I can imagine that coming back to bite me in the arse if Max ends up back in the alternate reality.
Do any of the choices we make in this alternate reality affect us at all further in the game... what do you think?Maybe I remembered wrong but I don't recall seeing the "this decision will have a consequence" message appearing after this decision.. so for this reason I don't think it will have a consequence. Which makes sense because you move back from this timeline anyway.

Could there be an alternate reality where Joyce didn't marry or meet David? I really can't stand obnoxious paranoias but maybe he might pull a Snape (Harry Potter) where we find out he never was against us but protecting us and we all end up loving David? Who knows.There's no might about it in my mind. People were too quick to accept Chloe's biased judgement and make a mountain out of a molehill in regards to David. I mean, think about it.. what did David really do wrong?
He was wary of Max being in the house because Chloe's last choice of friends (Rachel) did introduce her to drugs and was cohorting with a known drug dealer, and dragging Chloe down with her. He was looking out for her best interests like all good parents do, and likewise Chloe was rebelling like all troubled teens do.
Chloe stole one of his firearms; something which could could see her thrown in prison and lose David his job at the school. Yet he's the bad guy?

Yes he's like a bull in china shop and has poor people skills but that doesn't make him a bad or malicious person.
His paranoia can partly be put down to his experience in war and as we learnt in Episode 4, much of the perceived paranoia was well founded and he was right about most things. The school was harbouring drugs, abusers and murderers. He was tracking Nathan for good reason and his information turned out to be vital in finding the truth about Rachel.
His biggest and really only mistake was his wrongful perusal of Kate Marsh. Though if you didn't judge him so harshly in Episode 3 and he's still around in Episode 4, he really does show great regret and remorse for this.

Okay do you think Max made the right choice not telling Chloe about the alternate universe where William never died but Chloe ended up paralyzed 5 years later? But then again at the end of the last episode Chloe was flipping out about how she thinks the universe is against her so only telling her that will give more fuel to her theory.Max was right not to tell her. She realised she couldn't change it for the better so why torture Chloe with the knowledge and what ifs. If anything, it would probably just fuel the fire and push Chloe right over the edge.

Do you think Nathan is so troubled because he is taking the fall for everything? Or he's being blackmailed to help Jefferson into luring girls? I mean in Episode 1 Nathan says to Chloe "I'M TIRED OF PEOPLE BOSSING ME AROUND" when he pulls the gun on her.I made a thread about this so I'll keep it brief. Nathan is by no means a good guy but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy either. We know he has a very uncaring parent in Sean Prescott, and is on heavy meds for mental illness, and I strongly suspect being manipulated/controlled/blackmailed by Mr Jefferson.

Next, is there any actual proof... other than pics he takes of the girls, that Jefferson actually rapes these girls? All we see in the files is Kate and Rachel being tied up and sexually exposed whilst drugged up. There's no proof that shows he does rape these girls. If you stop Kate from jumping in episode 2, Kate never mentions that she was raped...... now that I think about it she said once she felt a sharp pain in her neck she couldn't remember anything else so yea she probably won't remember being raped.... the theory still stands. What does he do with these girls and why did he feel that he had to bury Rachel?There is enough evidence to suggest serious abuse and murder of the girls but people can really only infer anything more i.e. sexual. The jury is still out on that.

Next theory, Rachel is Max. Or Max is Rachel. I have compared the photo of Rachel to Max and they both look really similar only Rachel is wearing more make-up.
Who knows?It's possible I suppose but I just don't see it. I prefer the idea of Rachels spirit guiding max to the truth.

VUylvern
9th Aug 2015, 20:59
Its the whole butterfly effect theory. One little thing can alter so much more. Tataboj pretty much nailed it w the exact reason.

Maybe I remembered wrong but I don't recall seeing the "this decision will have a consequence" message appearing after this decision.. so for this reason I don't think it will have a consequence. Which makes sense because you move back from this timeline anyway.

There's no might about it in my mind. People were too quick to accept Chloe's biased judgement and make a mountain out of a molehill in regards to David. I mean, think about it.. what did David really do wrong?
He was wary of Max being in the house because Chloe's last choice of friends (Rachel) did introduce her to drugs and was cohorting with a known drug dealer, and dragging Chloe down with her. He was looking out for her best interests like all good parents do, and likewise Chloe was rebelling like all troubled teens do.
Chloe stole one of his firearms; something which could could see her thrown in prison and lose David his job at the school. Yet he's the bad guy?

Yes he's like a bull in china shop and has poor people skills but that doesn't make him a bad or malicious person.
His paranoia can partly be put down to his experience in war and as we learnt in Episode 4, much of the perceived paranoia was well founded and he was right about most things. The school was harbouring drugs, abusers and murderers. He was tracking Nathan for good reason and his information turned out to be vital in finding the truth about Rachel.
His biggest and really only mistake was his wrongful perusal of Kate Marsh. Though if you didn't judge him so harshly in Episode 3 and he's still around in Episode 4, he really does show great regret and remorse for this.

Max was right not to tell her. She realised she couldn't change it for the better so why torture Chloe with the knowledge and what ifs. If anything, it would probably just fuel the fire and push Chloe right over the edge.

I made a thread about this so I'll keep it brief. Nathan is by no means a good guy but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy either. We know he has a very uncaring parent in Sean Prescott, and is on heavy meds for mental illness, and I strongly suspect being manipulated/controlled/blackmailed by Mr Jefferson.

There is enough evidence to suggest serious abuse and murder of the girls but people can really only infer anything more i.e. sexual. The jury is still out on that.

It's possible I suppose but I just don't see it. I prefer the idea of Rachels spirit guiding max to the truth.

Im with you, but i don't think sexual abuse is the motive. I think is an obsession with art: Jefferson likes to capture submission or dominance innocence with his work. Nathan likes to capture death.