PDA

View Full Version : The lag and how it effects ESL

Arydious
3rd Aug 2015, 15:27
I wont pretend to speak on everyone's behalf here, I hope other ESL players will come chime in and present this issue in a constructive format for Psyonix to look at.

As it stands now many teams agree not to start the match till a full minute has gone by to make sure everyone's lag spike is dealt with. This is awesome that so many in the ESL are just looking for good clean fights, but it's unnecessary for us to have to do this. Why is the lag so intense in private matches? It may not be terrible for everyone but I know for many it is.

The utter lag spikes that occur during initiations kill it for teams. For my team in particular our main two initiators are getting extreme lag spikes as they go to use their abilities and you can see them just walk in front of the other team. Obviously this isn't a common practice and everyone knows it's do to lag, that doesn't stop everyone from taking advantage of it and it shouldn't. Right now if we reset every time someone lagged or lost connection we wouldn't even get games.

I am going to take this moment to get the elephant out of the room. Many people blame this on the success of another Psyonix game coming out right now. Nosgoth has plenty of issues before, since the release of this new non F2P game it seems like Nosgoth is the one suffering. We all know perception is everything and right now most plays believe Nosgoth may be the red headed step child of this ordeal. I am hoping someone from Psyonix can come in here and squash all of that soon.

As it stands now in the ESL teams that are close to each other in skill are almost better off flipping a coin to determine the winner rather than play the match. There are other teams like AT who are still dominate in all of this, but they are obviously top dogs for a reason right now and have proven they can work through a lot.

The newer ESL teams who are coming in and bringing more teams to the scene can be scared off by this lag, there is no feeling worse than losing because of lag. No one likes to lose in general, but when you lose because of things completely out of your control it's enough to make you just quit a game. People who quit a game from bad optimization don't have a high return rate either so these are players that will be extremely hard to acquire again at a later date.

Lastly, we all know this is Beta and there are bugs to be expected right......
To be Honest with the current market of gaming I am pretty sure every single gamer out there is tired of hearing that. Dev's know what it takes to optimize games, and can do so at a much better rate than it's occurring now.

My advice to Psyonix is to listen to your community and help them support Nosgoth. We are writing to help Psyonix make this game great, toss us a bone and work on the important things right now. We don't need any more skins right now, or even new maps we just need the game optimized. Once that is done go all out and introduce a ton of new stuff, but first work on keeping your player base here.

-Arydious

Yapper101
3rd Aug 2015, 17:39
As a fellow ESL player, I completely agree with this. On top of these lag spikes, there are many other issues present. This issue also falls under the optimization category. This being low frame rate. I completely understand that my rig is under powered, but it still stands that even people with ultra high end pc's are getting frame rate drops still. I am currently using a gtx 960, a graphics card upgrade from my 460 that significantly boosted frame rate to a solid 60 across all my games, except Nosgoth. My Nosgoth frame rate usually cannot peak over 60 unless I stare at a wall. And my in fight frame rate is 16. This, coupled with the lag spikes makes Nosgoth almost unplayable in Pubs, and in ESL. Psyonix we've seen you can work magic with other games game, please work magic with Nosgoth.

-Yapper

bluefeverjames
3rd Aug 2015, 17:47
Also as a fellow ESL player. I feel the same way about the game and more time needs to be spent on knocking down the bugs and making the game stronger.

-Bluefeverjames

Nickname98
3rd Aug 2015, 18:00
Even in league games its like this one sec your alive then boom your dead and like across the map while your screen is the same. ESL is hard with these lag spikes too and would be great to get a fix for this!

-Nickname

luis11415
3rd Aug 2015, 18:17
As a Nosgoth ESL player, I totally agree with this. I thought the lag spike at the beginning of each match was just a small portion af players. Turns out it was everyone, these bugs need to be fixed ASAP.

-EnragementCat

KidJass
3rd Aug 2015, 18:23
As another ESL player I would like the lag spikes to be gone. It would make the games more fair and fun as well as making everyone else in the community happy.
-KidJass

PinkEyePlease
3rd Aug 2015, 23:43
As a fellow ESL player, it's extremely frustrating, especially when you lose your HUD and can't see your CDs. This can only be remedied by dying, and that sucks. These crucial factors need to be addressed and followed through. I have dedicated so much of my time and energy into recruiting, supporting, and promoting your game. I can't justify to these people why these issues still exist, and every time the game seems to break just a little bit more. I just wish the same effort would be put into making sure the game survives, because I do enjoy it. Hooked from the first Pounce/Reaver execution <3

~PinkEye

Suhedu
4th Aug 2015, 01:40
I agree with everything said! Skins are not as important as having a working game. Nosgoth has so much potential and a community that supports it. Square and Psyonix, please listen to the community and bring Nosgoth to it's true glory!

-Lambslayer

JapJapthemighty
4th Aug 2015, 01:42
I used to play in esl until my computer took a ****. I agree completely with arydious and not just because he told me to care on teamspeak.

Endsequenz
4th Aug 2015, 03:32
Yeeeeih...

I am not playing esl and not intrested to do so.
But if you want me to check it out sometimes you better make it good.
See ya

-endsequenz

Arydious
4th Aug 2015, 15:34
San
This thread was not made in protest to anything it was purely for insight. I know the devs need to know about things to fix them. A forum post enables me to put down my concerns and allows others to chime in and say something constructive to add to the topic. It's very nice everyone here has kept everything civil, it should show the Dev's we actually care about Nosgoth and arn;t looking to replace it anytime soon.

-Arydious

SirSleepALot
5th Aug 2015, 16:12
Why are you people adding your name at the end of the post if you forum username is the same as your ESL or in game nickname?

- Kain the Classy Vampire

Arydious
11th Aug 2015, 02:01
I was told by quite a few people that this thread was deleted, I would just like to tell everyone this simply is not the case.

- Arydious

Saikocat
11th Aug 2015, 10:24
Hey guys,

We have a patch coming up that'll address a lag/delay spike at the start of a match, so that should hopefully fix most of what is being reported in this thread. Bear with us as we prep this patch.

We are, in general, looking further into other reported issues and working hard to clear up the remaining bugs that you guys are experiencing. Thanks so much for your patience!

Arydious
11th Aug 2015, 13:35
Hey guys,

We have a patch coming up that'll address a lag/delay spike at the start of a match, so that should hopefully fix most of what is being reported in this thread. Bear with us as we prep this patch.

We are, in general, looking further into other reported issues and working hard to clear up the remaining bugs that you guys are experiencing. Thanks so much for your patience!

@Saikocat thanks so much for responding. Is there anything else we can do to help out?

- Arydious

Truckposeidon
11th Aug 2015, 19:04
As someone who is very passionate about seeing this game succeed and someone who wants to get more into the competitive esl aspect of the game. I couldn't imagine playing for cash in these conditions. Really glad to hear that the new patch should fix these issues! Hope you can get the hidden bug you found worked out soon. Looking forward to a better Nosgoth! Keep up the good work.

Blackdeathteal
12th Aug 2015, 22:29
I wish there was some form of Oceanic league so we didnt have to go back to 200 + ping , forgot how unplayable it really was shudder got the banner and gave up .

Raphum
12th Aug 2015, 23:29
Even in league games its like this one sec your alive then boom your dead and like across the map while your screen is the same. ESL is hard with these lag spikes too and would be great to get a fix for this!

-Nickname

Made me giggle but +1 to this.

Bafunary
14th Aug 2015, 12:48
A lot of familiar "faces" in this thread, I'm pretty sure I've played with all of them, its funny how we all think the same thing especially since we all play in ESL... The lag spikes seem to be fixed in most cases for league.... Some people do still recieve them once in a while. We will see if ESL is better this weekend. I hope Nosgoth receives as much work as rocketleague in its upkeeping.
Thanks for being the winds of change Arydious!
-Bafunary