PDA

View Full Version : First Reaction

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 06:09
I saw it coming - I didn't see it coming, but apart from my own expectations of possible events to surface and play out in "Dark Room," episode four did not disappoint in any shape or form. Yes, there were revelations aplenty but the episode as a whole, and true to form, posed more questions than it ventured to answer - which is entirely reasonable after all - the best will be saved until the last so to speak.

No spoilers here today please; this is just a first reaction write of a thoroughly enjoyable, but poignant episode. I was not at all shocked by what happened or what I saw - there were some things that I had long been expecting to happen that did - my biggest question right now is why? And don’t you all know who that is pointed at? Exactly!

To be or not to be?

Thank you Dontnod for another wonderful installment and allowing me to wander around in your universe again.

I have loved, and love every minute of it.

Xeva-q
29th Jul 2015, 09:35
I played this game with my friend and when ending happened, both of us rose in applause. That was i call "good ending"

Agarwel
29th Jul 2015, 10:38
Yes the ending was awesome. I actually started to suspect this twist some moments before it happed (the dialogue before that was just somehow strange and my intuition just went like "wait a moment. What if...")
But the ending itself and the ep5 tease was great moment. I really hope the last episode will keep this dark theme and they will not go for cliche happyending.

StrangerThanFiction
29th Jul 2015, 12:18
It was a mixture of "I seen it coming" and "why?!" Through the entire episode I was on an emotional rollercoaster. Wonderful episode.

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:02
I played this game with my friend and when ending happened, both of us rose in applause. That was i call "good ending"

Well let us hope that episode five has an equally, if not better ending. :)

Xeva-q
29th Jul 2015, 15:07
i'm afraid you get me wrong... but it is fine by me, i guess. i do not want to be offensive.

StrangerThanFiction
29th Jul 2015, 15:08

I have a feeling it will. Also, patiently waiting for the few weeks until you post up another awesome theory of yours.

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:09
Yes the ending was awesome. I actually started to suspect this twist some moments before it happed (the dialogue before that was just somehow strange and my intuition just went like "wait a moment. What if...")
But the ending itself and the ep5 tease was great moment. I really hope the last episode will keep this dark theme and they will not go for cliche happyending.

I had long suspected that the person who surfaced as Doctor Evil at the end would show up. The one main underlying theme of this game has always been one of death or "new beginnings," but I can't help but think that the ending will be rosier than at first is suggested.

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:13
i'm afraid you get me wrong... but it is fine by me, i guess. i do not want to be offensive.

Got you wrong!?

Don't want to be offensive?

What can you be referring to?

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:15
It was a mixture of "I seen it coming" and "why?!" Through the entire episode I was on an emotional rollercoaster. Wonderful episode.

Yes. I saw a couple of things coming that happened. My biggest question now is motive. Why?

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:19
I have a feeling it will. Also, patiently waiting for the few weeks until you post up another awesome theory of yours.

Haha! Thanks, but I'm done with theorising for now, there are too many variables to consider. I just want to play the game and I am quite content just to do that. :)

StrangerThanFiction
29th Jul 2015, 15:19
Yes. I saw a couple of things coming that happened. My biggest question now is motive. Why?

Maybe he has a secret fetish for tortured women? [Dark much?] I don't know. Hopefully this will come to life in the last episode. [Hoping for a Season Two].

And what about there being a binder for Victoria? Was it just a ploy because they all figured out that Max and Chloe were catching on? Or was Jefferson planning all along to....

I can't even think about that without feeling nauseated. We're still not sure if it's Mr. Jefferson's binders. It could be Sean's binders for all we know. [The plot thickens].

Xeva-q
29th Jul 2015, 15:29
Got you wrong!?

Don't want to be offensive?

What can you be referring to?
Well, if i say it out loud i'm afraid i will be considered as a troll. )

We just have very different perception of this game. I am literally terrified by it.

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 15:39
Well, if i say it out loud i'm afraid i will be considered as a troll. )

We just have very different perception of this game. I am literally terrified by it.

I actually perceive it for what it is - a game. Unless you explain yourself fully I have no idea what you mean. If you are that terrified by it then perhaps you should reconsider your choice to play it? And since you give mention to the term "troll," I do not think that I care to know.

Thank you.

Xeva-q
29th Jul 2015, 15:48
If you are that terrified by it then perhaps you should reconsider your choice to play it?
Well, i think you right.

ByouRei
29th Jul 2015, 17:41
Tat chapter was Great . but i hope i have not another dream about tied Max covered with blood.

Xabungle
29th Jul 2015, 18:11
Blown away. Can't wait for the last chapter.

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 18:17
Tat chapter was Great . but i hope i have not another dream about tied Max covered with blood.

If it is any comfort to you, I will say this. Without the darkness you wouldn't see the light! :)

julietxjules
29th Jul 2015, 18:18
Blown away. Can't wait for the last chapter.

I am with you on that one. ;)

Alvare
29th Jul 2015, 19:26
I freaked out because of this episode. I mean, in the end, I was shocked by Chloe's instant death by a almost point blank ranged shot and if that death wasn't enough we get to hear a weeping, sobbing and begging Max in the final scene. Jefferson being the bad guy was expected though.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 05:34
I freaked out because of this episode. I mean, in the end, I was shocked by Chloe's instant death by a almost point blank ranged shot and if that death wasn't enough we get to hear a weeping, sobbing and begging Max in the final scene. Jefferson being the bad guy was expected though.

The jury's still out in my mind as to what everything is really all about. And as usual I will mull it over until it all makes more sense to me. The incident with Chloe didn't faze me at all - it was like I expected it in the long run. Still. . .things are never as they seem in Arcadia Bay so we will all have to wait for that final curtain.

Sonny_Crockett
30th Jul 2015, 05:43
Well, as an ending -in all cases- they usually tend to give an impression or sensation just because it's an ending so from that perspective is alright, great ending. But for some reason the one that 'shocked' me the most was the ep 3 ending. However, I loved this one too of course.
Can't wait to see what's next.

Chocolate_shake
30th Jul 2015, 12:31
I was also not shocked by the final revealation but it was still pretty satisfying because the clues were always there , so it totally made sense .

This might be my personal favourite episode so far . I was genuinly holding back tears at multiple occasions but stilll ended up sobbing specially when Max allows William to leave and tells Chloe to be strong even if she won't be there to support her ...... in front of my lab mates ( I was in my lab playing it :o ) .

I also loved the fact that previous choices significantly come into play ( unlike the Telltale games I have played ) . The voice actors for Max and Chloe did a fantastic job . I loved how Max described her thoughts as she was looking at Kate's folder in the Dark Room .... It truly felt like Max was horrified and about to cry . And Chloe went through a full spectrum of emotions in this episode and the voice actress truly delivered :thumb:

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 12:59
Well, as an ending -in all cases- they usually tend to give an impression or sensation just because it's an ending so from that perspective is alright, great ending. But for some reason the one that 'shocked' me the most was the ep 3 ending. However, I loved this one too of course.
Can't wait to see what's next.

I guess the ending of this episode just had to show something - or in this case, someone coming to the fore and revealing themselves in their true colours. It is but a smaller cog in a bigger wheel.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 13:03
I was also not shocked by the final revelation but it was still pretty satisfying because the clues were always there , so it totally made sense .

Yes. . .the clues were always there, some more subtle than others, but there nonetheless.

Alvare
30th Jul 2015, 13:10
I was so amazed Dontnod made the hospital visit with Kate. I'm so happy she's recovering in the story. :D

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 13:14
I was so amazed Dontnod made the hospital visit with Kate. I'm so happy she's recovering in the story. :D

Oh. . .they had to do that finally, we all invested in Kate with all she went through, the worrying thing for me is the fact that they slotted it in to episode four rather than five. Kate is still a witness, and an alive witness at that! So she is not entirely out of the woods yet.

Alvare
30th Jul 2015, 13:30
Oh. . .they had to do that finally, we all invested in Kate with all she went through, the worrying thing for me is the fact that they slotted it in to episode four rather than five. Kate is still a witness, and an alive witness at that! So she is not entirely out of the woods yet.
Yeah, I figured reading someone else's thoughts on that.
Scary thought. She's already been hurt enough.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 13:38
Yeah, I figured reading someone else's thoughts on that.
Scary thought. She's already been hurt enough.

And there we have another variable in possible plot outcomes. The horror may well be over for Kate leaving her in peace to rebuild her life, but what we do not know right now is the reason for everything; the whys and wherefores, motives, etc. This is not a Sunday afternoon excursion field trip; there is a deeper meaning to the exposure episode four gave us.

Alvare
30th Jul 2015, 13:57
And there we have another variable in possible plot outcomes. The horror may well be over for Kate leaving her in peace to rebuild her life, but what we do not know right now is the reason for everything; the whys and wherefores, motives, etc. This is not a Sunday afternoon excursion field trip; there is a deeper meaning to the exposure episode four gave us.
I think his intentions will be very soon explained by Jefferson in ep5.
And Max might not like it. It's got to be 100% about her and her power. It's all somehow tied to the apocalypse, the storm.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 14:14
I think his intentions will be very soon explained by Jefferson in ep5.
And Max might not like it. It's got to be 100% about her and her power. It's all somehow tied to the apocalypse, the storm.

Jefferson could well turn out to be a small cog in a big wheel! Remember the phone conversation outside the classroom? Yes, we all know the storm is coming and it will be fascinating to see how Max escapes and gets to that point in the climax to the story.

StrangerThanFiction
30th Jul 2015, 14:27
Jefferson could well turn out to be a small cog in a big wheel! Remember the phone conversation outside the classroom? Yes, we all know the storm is coming and it will be fascinating to see how Max escapes and gets to that point in the climax to the story.

Remember it? It still sends chills down my spine.

Especially after seeing that note on the computer in The Dark Room. I wish there was a way that we could've looked through Nathan's call log on his phone to see who he called (since the note mentioned Nathan calling from his own number).

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 14:30
Remember it? It still sends chills down my spine. Especially after seeing that note on the computer in The Dark Room. I wish there was a way that we could've looked through Nathan's call log on his phone to see who he called (since the note mentioned Nathan calling from his own number).

I have only played it through the one time so my memory in everything I saw is a bit blurry, so please remind me, what was written on that note? I wish I could rewind time like Max can so I can have more time! I am crunched right now but come the weekend I will have the time for a more relaxed, longer play-through.

StrangerThanFiction
30th Jul 2015, 14:38
I have only played it through the one time so my memory in everything I saw is a bit blurry, so please remind me, what was written on that note? I wish I could rewind time like Max can so I can have more time! I am crunched right now but come the weekend I will have the time for a more relaxed, longer play-through.

Luckily, I had took a picture of it [on my phone] just in case something like this was to come up!

Nathan,

I've told you to never call me using your phone, stick with the disposable ones I gave you. I don't want to hear you screaming out my name in a public place, which you have stupidly done before.

I haven't set all this up and shared my vast wisdom, just so you can **** it up with your teen-rage.
We can accomplish a lot together, but you have to let me guide you.

Or you're on your own.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 14:44
Luckily, I had took a picture of it [on my phone] just in case something like this was to come up!

Ah yes. . .it all comes flooding back to me now. Thank you.

This is turning into a whodunnit! In this case it was definitely not the butler with the candlestick in the ballroom! The message strongly points toward 'you know who,' it makes sense.

Alvare
30th Jul 2015, 14:49
Even thinking about that gives me goosebumps. It'll be one of the most memorable experiences in gaming history if they make it epic.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 14:54
Even thinking about that gives me goosebumps. It'll be one of the most memorable experiences in gaming history if they make it epic.

Agreed. I think she will need some external help: enter David Madsen to save the day, perhaps? He may be off camera but his penchant for surveillance is insatiable. So many possibilities there are that could come to pass - I am already chewing my nails in anticipation.

Xeva-q
30th Jul 2015, 15:38
I think that Max is still have Warren's photo. Thus, she can save herself.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 15:42
I think that Max is still have Warren's photo. Thus, she can save herself.

Not if she's drugged and knocked out she can't. She might need external help.

Xeva-q
30th Jul 2015, 15:51
Well, you might be right. But all Max have to do it is just look at that photo. So, it might be consider as possibility as well.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 15:54
Well, you might be right. But all Max have to do it is just look at that photo. So, it might be consider as possibility as well.

Indeed. But in order for he to be able to do that she must be able to focus on it with her eyes - if she is drugged her vision will not be 100%. We will just have to wait and see how it pans out.

Xeva-q
30th Jul 2015, 15:57
It will be very funny if external help will come from Nathan. :)

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 16:05
It will be very funny if external help will come from Nathan. :)

Yes. . .and it should not be discounted as a possibility. We still do not know Nathan's true part in this - yes it looks bad for him but until that final curtain comes down, no one truly knows.

StrangerThanFiction
30th Jul 2015, 19:10
Yes. . .and it should not be discounted as a possibility. We still do not know Nathan's true part in this - yes it looks bad for him but until that final curtain comes down, no one truly knows.

Either him or Victoria. I'd be surprised and happy either way.

julietxjules
30th Jul 2015, 19:29
Either him or Victoria. I'd be surprised and happy either way.

Or, as I mentioned somewhere up above - I wouldn't be at all surprised if David Madsen made a sudden heroic appearance; you never know with this game.

Sneddonator
30th Jul 2015, 20:40
I kinda wonderif Samuel has some big part to play in the last episode. He has a close connection with nature. Perhaps his spirit animal is the squirrel as they are always near him and when you visit the barn a squirrel runs from the side entrance when you discover it.

Samuel also makes that comment to Max that she is connected to time and tide. He didnt really feature in episode 4. Could that be to allow for a bigger surprise reveal in the last?

Squinn1201
30th Jul 2015, 20:48
My reaction was shock! Mind....blown! I didn't see that coming. I thought Mr. Jefferson was acting weird but I thought it was because he had a relationship with Victoria and may have also been married. In one part (I think it was episode 1) Max meets Mr. Jefferson outside his classroom and after a short conver. he gets a phone call. If you walk behind him you can hear him talking and it sounded to me like he was hiding something. But him being a psycho, no didn't see that. I thought it was Nathan's father who was the original rapist and he was training his son Nathan to take his place. I got that from the emails to Nathan about his destiny and I've worked so hard to show you what your destiny is... But now I think Mr. Jefferson is training Nathan as his apprentice. I think that he saw Nathan's dark photos and with his psychological problems thought he'd make a good apprentice. I'm wondering if Max will somehow be able to turn back time eventually and get Chloe back. I was really devastated when she died. But there's still the matter of the killer storm left for next episode. Maybe that will do something. This was truly a great episode! I can't wait for episode 5 and I really hope they make a second season. Really the best game out there. I'm not into all the shoot-um-up killing games and this one is more my type of game. I really don't think there is any other game quite like Life is Strange. (At least I haven't found one) Bravo!!

Squinn1201
30th Jul 2015, 20:52

Nathan,

I've told you to never call me using your phone, stick with the disposable ones I gave you. I don't want to hear you screaming out my name in a public place, which you have stupidly done before.

I haven't set all this up and shared my vast wisdom, just so you can **** it up with your teen-rage.
We can accomplish a lot together, but you have to let me guide you.

Or you're on your own.

And note that it was NOT signed. All other notes from Nathan's father were signed. this one was ripped off at the bottom.

Squinn1201
30th Jul 2015, 21:59
Yes. . .the clues were always there, some more subtle than others, but there nonetheless.

What clues? I'm going back to replay to look for them but I only suspected that Jefferson was having a relationship with Victoria. I thought Nathan's father was the bad guy training his son to be his apprentice. Now I think that Jefferson is the one training Nathan. I'm just curious to what clues you discovered.

StrangerThanFiction
31st Jul 2015, 03:17
What clues? I'm going back to replay to look for them but I only suspected that Jefferson was having a relationship with Victoria. I thought Nathan's father was the bad guy training his son to be his apprentice. Now I think that Jefferson is the one training Nathan. I'm just curious to what clues you discovered.

This isn't all that there are, but this is all that I've collected so far.

+ He mentions that he can put anyone in a "dark corner" (Ep. 1)

+ If you don't go into class, you can listen in on his phone conversation (Ep. 2)

+ Not long afterwards, he talks about chiaroscuro (light and dark shading effects: Ep 2.)

+ You get duct tape out of his room to make a pipe bomb (Ep. 3). While it's not a BIG clue, you also see duct tape in The Dark Room (Ep. 4).

+ Did you happen to notice his tone of speaking in episode 4? You can agrue that he always talked like that, but pay close attention (especially before the boys dorm and at the Vortex Club Party)

+ The note on the computer? It definitely wasn't one from his father. (Ep. 4).

That's the one's that I can remember atm (It's like 10 at night where I live and I'm pretty brain fried at the moment)

Now THEORY TIME!

Some may argue that Jefferson really wanted Max to break out of her shell and show her artistic talent, but looking back through the episodes; he seems to be pressuring Max the most to turn in a photo. I know there was a binder with Victoria's name on it in The Dark Room, but what if the next victim was supposed to be Max and; since she was avoiding to turn in a photo (meaning that he couldn't select her to win, he changed his mind to Victoria at the last minute. (I will pity Nathan on this point. Victoria does seem to be the only friend he has at Blackwell.)

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 04:39
I kinda wonderif Samuel has some big part to play in the last episode. He has a close connection with nature. Perhaps his spirit animal is the squirrel as they are always near him and when you visit the barn a squirrel runs from the side entrance when you discover it.

Samuel also makes that comment to Max that she is connected to time and tide. He didnt really feature in episode 4. Could that be to allow for a bigger surprise reveal in the last?

I suppose it is a possibility that Samuel will have a more pivotal role to play come the finale, but in truth I think he was just there to establish the lore of spirit animal guides and make them known to us - the players. Luckily for me, I have extensive knowledge of spirit animal guides having made several studies of them in the past, so I was already clued up so to speak, and when the ethereal doe made it's first appearance I knew exactly what it might represent. But getting back to Samuel. . .I do not think he will have any other significant part to play, but there again, in truth, I cannot really know.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 04:59

I think StrangerThanFiction has covered most of them, and my thanks 'STF' for standing in during my absence - I ran out of time again. :(

Another clue was to be discovered when studying Jefferson's photography on display in the grounds outside the main doors of the academy. Most of his pictures of young women had them posing submissively and there was something about those postures that did not fit well with me. Rather than capture their facial beauty in portrait, he opted instead for a more abstract image which in itself looked quite disturbing. Another more subtle clue was body language; in the classroom, notice that he always turned his back on all the males in his class and faced Max square on, (there is a picture outside which he took featuring men and the image has his subject with his back to the camera) and that happened more often than not. There are a few more, but those two sprang to mind instantly.

Oh. . .and a somewhat more ambiguous clue was right at the very beginning when he told his class, when referring to Max: "and Max has a gift!" Now that was double edged!

meimeiriver
31st Jul 2015, 08:06

If Kate had been conscious during her ordeal, for even a single moment, she would be dead by now (like Rachel). Fortunately she never was. She was dropped off at the doorstep, after they were done with her. If they wanted her dead, she would have been. Ergo, Kate is safe.

ZeGermanChloeFan
31st Jul 2015, 08:10
I was totally shocked. The revelation was one of my thoughts, but later in the game after getting a special SMS i thought it would be wrong. In fact, I was wrong.
After the end, I cried a bit because of the end

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 11:01
If Kate had been conscious during her ordeal, for even a single moment, she would be dead by now (like Rachel). Fortunately she never was. She was dropped off at the doorstep, after they were done with her. If they wanted her dead, she would have been. Ergo, Kate is safe.

No. That's not quite right in my mind. In the pictures we get to see of Kate her eyes are open, and although she may be drugged her eyes would still be sending signals to her brain and thus recording it as memory. She had a memory loss as to what really happened to her but, she did remember waking up in a white room hearing a softly spoken voice. She would have had to be seeing and conscious for her to remember that in the first place. If Kate ever retrieves this memory and reassembles it then this would pose the threat of exposure to the perpetrator/s, ergo. . .placing her in danger. But as with all things unknown it may never become part of the end game - we will have to wait and see.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 11:11
I was totally shocked. The revelation was one of my thoughts, but later in the game after getting a special SMS i thought it would be wrong. In fact, I was wrong.
After the end, I cried a bit because of the end

In all honesty I was not shocked at all. My expectations for what happened had long been in place even though the actual way they played out was different - the result was the same.

WazzuMan
31st Jul 2015, 11:50
I suppose on some level I expected that ending but didn't want to acknowledge it. Probably why I felt so anxious and had to take little breaks throughout the episode to calm myself. Hit me harder that way and honestly that is what I prefer. Better to not think too hard about these things because you'll just spoil yourself. It's why I don't listen to fan theories and all that nonsense and when I make predictions it's usually about the little things. Like Alyssa getting knocked into the pool at the party, I totally called that.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 12:08
I suppose on some level I expected that ending but didn't want to acknowledge it. Probably why I felt so anxious and had to take little breaks throughout the episode to calm myself. Hit me harder that way and honestly that is what I prefer. Better to not think too hard about these things because you'll just spoil yourself. It's why I don't listen to fan theories and all that nonsense and when I make predictions it's usually about the little things. Like Alyssa getting knocked into the pool at the party, I totally called that.

I tend to keep away from fan theories too - especially those on YouTube. I know all of us have our own ideas and perspectives on the game itself; it's a natural process that comes with playing a game such as this one which is replete with mystery and intrigue. The smaller things such as the events with Alyssa are fun to call - as you rightly point out - because they fit a pattern that playing the game has led us to expect.

I personally am unable to decide how I think the game will end and, I am no longer preoccupied with trying to reach the finishing tape before the race is run. I just want to play it out and see what happens, but I will confess to an impatience in waiting for that moment to come.

StrangerThanFiction
31st Jul 2015, 12:16
I think StrangerThanFiction has covered most of them, and my thanks 'STF' for standing in during my absence - I ran out of time again.

You're welcome Juliet. Like Max's says to Chloe: "I'm nosy not precise."

I might pull back from trying to come up with theories now. Like you said, too many variables to be considered (and too many possibilities.) But I won't stop finding all the clues I can.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 12:25
You're welcome Juliet. Like Max's says to Chloe: "I'm nosy not precise."

I might pull back from trying to come up with theories now. Like you said, too many variables to be considered (and too many possibilities.) But I won't stop finding all the clues I can.

Haha! I'm nosy not precise. . .I like it. :rasp:

But seriously though; I am with you on the theory thing, during the times of episode three I couldn't stop thinking about it and it drove me to distraction resulting in my knickers getting in a twist! (did I really just say that?) Anyhoo. . .to make matters worse, at the end of "Dark Room" that silly doe turned up again and watched as Max and Chloe discovered Rachel's corpse. Arghhhh!!! What does it all mean? . . .Don't answer that!

WazzuMan
31st Jul 2015, 13:13
I know one thing, of all the waits this is definitely going to be the worst. We got maybe 7 or 8 weeks minimum before the fates of our heroes are finally revealed. I just want to get through this, let the game tell the story, and see if my heart can handle whatever Dontnod have in store. I'm hoping for multiple endings; good endings, bad endings and possibly even a "Game Over" ending like in Beyond: Two Souls.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 13:40
I know one thing, of all the waits this is definitely going to be the worst. We got maybe 7 or 8 weeks minimum before the fates of our heroes are finally revealed. I just want to get through this, let the game tell the story, and see if my heart can handle whatever Dontnod have in store. I'm hoping for multiple endings; good endings, bad endings and possibly even a "Game Over" ending like in Beyond: Two Souls.

I am usually quite a patient person in general but in this case my resolve in the matter will be severely tested. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the release of the finale goes beyond the waiting time for episode four; Dontnod will be just as nervous about how it will be received as we will about end game satisfaction - there's much riding on it - so they will try and make absolutely sure that everything is as perfect and polished as it can be. I just hope the game has an epic ending that will not be forgotten easily. I hope!

BinnieBob
31st Jul 2015, 15:36
Endings nearly always disappoint, has to be about the ride.

julietxjules
31st Jul 2015, 16:23
Endings nearly always disappoint, has to be about the ride.

If I considered this game a bog standard affair then I would agree, most games can and do, at times, disappoint with their less than adequate endings, but as I truly consider this game to be leagues ahead from most others, I would hope the ending will be to and, devoid of the humdrum of constant repetition.

BinnieBob
31st Jul 2015, 17:02
Some great games have disappointed with their endings, sometimes just because it's one long cut scene. I guess no one ending ever pleases everyone anyway. A perfect ending is the cherry on the cake, it can still be a great cake without the cherry on top. Hope for the best, but don't expect it. Not at all sure how I want it to end, was kind of leaning to one opening the door to new adventures, but it's pretty clear that LIS is a self contained conclusive story, so won't be that lol.

DedalusHQ
31st Jul 2015, 23:00
Hi, I am still stunned by the episode 4 ending... No please, don't hurt Max... ))=
However, I had my suspects on Jeffersons, even during episode 1 when we heard him make that strange phone call.
However, the dark room was greatly inspired by the movie 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'.

julietxjules
1st Aug 2015, 08:04
In that case - if you were stunned - then prepare to be stunned again because in all probability, and apart from the storm, there is something bigger coming over the horizon. Episode five is definitely not going to end on a whimper!

julietxjules
1st Aug 2015, 08:09
Some great games have disappointed with their endings, sometimes just because it's one long cut scene. I guess no one ending ever pleases everyone anyway. A perfect ending is the cherry on the cake, it can still be a great cake without the cherry on top. Hope for the best, but don't expect it. Not at all sure how I want it to end, was kind of leaning to one opening the door to new adventures, but it's pretty clear that LIS is a self contained conclusive story, so won't be that lol.

Well. . .come eight or so weeks time we shall all find out.

Squinn1201
1st Aug 2015, 14:54
Stranger Than Fiction: Before reading your post, I went back and replayed the game again looking for clues myself. I'm glad to say that I found all of your clues except for his tone in episode 4. But on first play, those clues didn't even cross my mind except for the conver. outside the classroom. (but at that time I thought he was having a relationship with Victoria) Another thing I noticed is that throughout the locations, you see the quote from the X-Files "Trust No One". Definitely fits here as she looks up to mr. Jefferson so much but yet she learns she can't trust him. Also, when Max is examining clues on her murder board (I watch too many crime shows lol) she has to piece together the pictures of the trucks, the car, and license plates from the photos she got from step-douche. One of the pictures is clearly Mr. Jefferson's car and plate. You see Jefferson's car during the eclipse scene when he's talking with the Principal. Why would step-monster have survalenced Mr. Jefferson? Did he suspect something?
And now for my theoy...

What if, Mr. Jefferson noticed the dark side of Nathan's photographs. And, with that and his mental state, thought that he would make a good apprentice! What if he is training Nathan to do what he does? There was that note about his "destiny" and the one where someone (which I think it's Jefferson) told Nathan not to call him on his personal number use the prepaid ones. Nathan's drawing of the "dark room" as well. I mean I don't think Nathan for one second is working alone and he may not even be a "willing" participant. I think Jefferson is the alpha here. I also don't think the step-douche is involved. I think he does really want to help but has a bad way of doing it and perhaps with PTS from being in the military, he suspects everyone.
Do you think the dead animals, eclipse, snow, and storm has something to do with Chloe? She mentioned how she wants to destroy the town. Maybe this storm is actually HER revenge? Although it could be related to Max time traveling.

I can't wait for episode 5!!!

Squinn1201
1st Aug 2015, 15:02
I think StrangerThanFiction has covered most of them, and my thanks 'STF' for standing in during my absence - I ran out of time again. :(

Another clue was to be discovered when studying Jefferson's photography on display in the grounds outside the main doors of the academy. Most of his pictures of young women had them posing submissively and there was something about those postures that did not fit well with me. Rather than capture their facial beauty in portrait, he opted instead for a more abstract image which in itself looked quite disturbing. Another more subtle clue was body language; in the classroom, notice that he always turned his back on all the males in his class and faced Max square on, (there is a picture outside which he took featuring men and the image has his subject with his back to the camera) and that happened more often than not. There are a few more, but those two sprang to mind instantly.

Oh. . .and a somewhat more ambiguous clue was right at the very beginning when he told his class, when referring to Max: "and Max has a gift!" Now that was double edged!

I also picked up on this one...
When Max examines the murder board (yeah I watch a lot of crime dramas), she has survalence photos of a few trucks and a car. She even says that the car looks very expensive. Well the car is definitely Mr. Jefferson's car. You saw his car during the eclipse scene when he was talking to the principal. Why would step-douche have taken photos of his car and plate? Did he suspect he was up to something? The eclipse is kinda a clue to with the whole dark and light.

julietxjules
1st Aug 2015, 15:14
I also picked up on this one...
When Max examines the murder board (yeah I watch a lot of crime dramas), she has survalence photos of a few trucks and a car. She even says that the car looks very expensive. Well the car is definitely Mr. Jefferson's car. You saw his car during the eclipse scene when he was talking to the principal. Why would step-douche have taken photos of his car and plate? Did he suspect he was up to something? The eclipse is kinda a clue to with the whole dark and light.

Yes. You're quite right. I noticed that too, but because the episode is still relatively new it completely slipped my mind.

Squinn1201
1st Aug 2015, 15:21
Yes. You're quite right. I noticed that too, but because the episode is still relatively new it completely slipped my mind.

Oh and 1 more thing I realized...

At then end of the vortex club party during that sequence, you see Nathan go to Victoria's room. Then you see someone putting together Kate's album. That person was definitely Mr. Jefferson! You can tell by the suit they are wearing!

julietxjules
1st Aug 2015, 15:28
Oh and 1 more thing I realized...

At then end of the vortex club party during that sequence, you see Nathan go to Victoria's room. Then you see someone putting together Kate's album. That person was definitely Mr. Jefferson! You can tell by the suit they are wearing!

Is that after Max and Chloe leave the party?

ByouRei
1st Aug 2015, 16:53
im think Squinn1201 refered ending ep 2.

julietxjules
1st Aug 2015, 17:06
im think Squinn1201 refered ending ep 2.

That's what I am thinking.

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 07:13
I kind of envy you because you could visit Kate. :(

DanielWhit
3rd Aug 2015, 11:38
Just had a thought - does Victoria have a role in this? If she accepts Max's warning about the dark room - she goes on to warn Max. This is at the trail end of a conversation about the art world being brutal and Victoria knowing how she has to play the game.

Is there scope she tipped off Jefferson about what Max (thought she) knew? Maybe she didn't know and it was a "just bumped into Max, she seems stressed" etc conversation or perhaps she somehow had a inkling about the Dark Room and explicitly told him what Max suspected.

Just doesn't quite sit right, somehow.

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 13:06
I kind of envy you because you could visit Kate. :(

Hi Tataboj. I am not sure what is meant when you say "I envy you because you could visit Kate?" Do you mean me personally, or are you referring to the scenario that you played out. As players we can all visit Kate providing of course she is alive. :)

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 13:14
Just had a thought - does Victoria have a role in this? If she accepts Max's warning about the dark room - she goes on to warn Max. This is at the trail end of a conversation about the art world being brutal and Victoria knowing how she has to play the game.

Is there scope she tipped off Jefferson about what Max (thought she) knew? Maybe she didn't know and it was a "just bumped into Max, she seems stressed" etc conversation or perhaps she somehow had a inkling about the Dark Room and explicitly told him what Max suspected.

Just doesn't quite sit right, somehow.

Ha! Now that is yet another deliciously attention diverting comment coming from a major character. Yes, it is quite possible that Victoria forewarned Jefferson; that scenario cannot be ruled out by any means. There are variables aplenty in this game and that is why it is so hard to call out anything in an absolute sense.

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 15:49
Hi Tataboj. I am not sure what is meant when you say "I envy you because you could visit Kate?" Do you mean me personally, or are you referring to the scenario that you played out. As players we can all visit Kate providing of course she is alive. :)

Well, she isn't alive, that's why I envy you. :)

ByouRei
3rd Aug 2015, 15:59

YOU %^$#^&^$$**+*^#%^&%#^&&&$##^&**+%# you kiled KATE !? :D

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 16:08

Then play out the scenario where Kate is talked down from the roof.

Simple. :)

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 16:42
YOU %^$#^&^$$**+*^#%^&%#^&&&$##^&**+%# you kiled KATE !? :D

No one could have guessed that stupid quote from Bible, right? Right?! ;)

Xeva-q
3rd Aug 2015, 16:50

I have guessed because i thought it is about difference between New Testament and Old Testament, because New Testament is much more kind and forgiving. So i gave the correct answer although you could simply find right answer in the book.

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 16:55

When in Kate's room Max can open up her bible and find two sticky notes, one is crossed out, the other one is not. That in itself was the clue as to which one was Kate's favourite.

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 16:59
Then play out the scenario where Kate is talked down from the roof.

Simple. :)

1st save is my original,
2nd one is my cousin's and
3rd one is my friend's so... that is possible after Ep. 5. :)

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 17:02
1st save is my original,

Then why don't you - using your own save slot - start again from the very beginning? I would.

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 17:06
When in Kate's room Max can open up her bible and find two sticky notes, one is crossed out, the other one is not. That in itself was the clue as to which one was Kate's favourite.

Yeah, but when you're on the roof, you see only titles of them. And I remembered only content, not title.

Xeva-q
3rd Aug 2015, 17:07
1st save is my original,

If you playing on console you can simply create another user for that. And if you playing on PC you can just copy this folder:

C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Life Is Strange

and backup it when you need it.

Or also create another user.

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 17:11
Yeah, but when you're on the roof, you see only titles of them. And I remembered only content, not title.

Hence why it is a good idea to have some paper handy to make notes when needed. :)

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 17:15
Then why don't you - using your own save slot - start again from the very beginning? I would.

Because I want it to be autentic and not knowing what will happen next when making choices is how they want the game to be played and it adds a lot to experience for me when I see that I thought I am making a good decision... and it made things worse. And the game kicks me in my ass every time when they talk about it.

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 17:17
Because I want it to be autentic and not knowing what will happen next when making choices is how they want the game to be played and it adds a lot to experience for me when I see that I thought I am making a good decision... and it made things worse. And the game kicks me in my ass every time when they talk about it.

Fair enough - it's your choice.

Tataboj
3rd Aug 2015, 17:20
Hence why it is a good idea to have some paper handy to make notes when needed. :)

Using paper when playing a videogame terrifies me. I had to remember even PUK. :D

Peritvs
3rd Aug 2015, 17:59
Saw a spoiler on a YouTube video that had nothing to do with Life is Strange so yeah wasn't surprised....still angry though. Still wouldn't have been much of a surprise because I never trusted him in the first place I put a lot of trust in David though; if he isn't a main factor in the end I will be somewhat disappointed.

julietxjules
3rd Aug 2015, 18:10
Saw a spoiler on a YouTube video that had nothing to do with Life is Strange so yeah wasn't surprised....still angry though. Still wouldn't have been much of a surprise because I never trusted him in the first place I put a lot of trust in David though; if he isn't a main factor in the end I will be somewhat disappointed.

I do not think we have seen the last of David Madsen. Here's hoping anyway.

Sneddonator
3rd Aug 2015, 21:01
He will save the day because his curiosity/paranoia whatever you want to call it will continue to get the better of him. And Im sure he'll be watching the Vortex Club party from his car. He may see chloe and max rush off from the party and follow.

julietxjules
4th Aug 2015, 05:31
He will save the day because his curiosity/paranoia whatever you want to call it will continue to get the better of him. And Im sure he'll be watching the Vortex Club party from his car. He may see chloe and max rush off from the party and follow.

I did actually mention in my write on episode two that I felt that Madsen would do something heroic at the end; I still hold to that statement.

Baeraad
4th Aug 2015, 12:03

I hear ya. Which is why Kate is dead in my main/unspoiled playthrough, too. I've got all three save slots to myself, and in my second playthrough I saved her, but in the playthrough the represents my best judgment rather than my hindsight, she's gone and sorely missed. :(

Sneddonator
4th Aug 2015, 21:00
I hear ya. Which is why Kate is dead in my main/unspoiled playthrough, too. I've got all three save slots to myself, and in my second playthrough I saved her, but in the playthrough the represents my best judgment rather than my hindsight, she's gone and sorely missed. :(

Yep this is the same situation for me.

julietxjules
15th Aug 2015, 01:34
I realise that everyone has their own methods and preferences when playing games but, the reason, as I see it, is that we are given more than one save slot so we can try out different scenarios and experiment.

RagdollZombie
15th Aug 2015, 01:40
I recorded my first playthrough of Ep4 on my twitch channel. There's no voice or a facecam or anything though. I was caught in a storm of emotions throughout the entire episode ;_;

julietxjules
15th Aug 2015, 01:42
I recorded my first playthrough of Ep4 on my twitch channel. There's no voice or a facecam or anything though. I was caught in a storm of emotions throughout the entire episode ;_;

I can well imagine.