PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie's Fan Theory

uminotenshi
27th Jul 2015, 01:54
Hey, I'm new here to the forums. And ever since I saw the Episode 4 trailer for LiS and replayed Episode 1 (for like the 7th time) tonight, I really needed someplace to unload my fan theory.

I have this theory that “The Dark Room” is the white room that Kate talks about. I specifically remember a scene in the book 1984 by George Orwell, there is “a room where there are no shadows” or at least “a room without darkness”. It’s a bright white room where Big Brother tortures people. And, I remember the science teacher in LiS when she’s asking Max to sign the petition that she doesn’t want the school to “go back to 1984″. Which in context, might only reference that specific year in America; but personally think it’s a reference to the book.

OMG. I just thought of this while typing this all out. Life is Strange is chock full of literary references and allusions. I mean Maxine Caulfield is actually a reference to Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. And Catcher in the Rye is all about teenagers and identity and feeling alone and isolated from everything.

WTF I just looked up on Wikipedia, and there have been several instances of shooters referencing Catcher in the Rye as an influence. Mark David Chapman, who shot and killed John Lennon, was arrested with a copy of Catcher in the Rye. Max’s photography teacher Mr. Jefferson, quotes John Lennon when Max tries to stall handing in her photo for the Hero contest. “Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.”

Giantrobby1996
27th Jul 2015, 08:16
I believe the Dark Room alludes to the near-black setting which film-based photographs are developed. I back this theory with the fact that Blackwell is an institution with a specialized visual-arts program (the unofficial lead of which is a world-famous photographer, Mark Jefferson). I suspect the white room Kate mentioned was a sterile infirmary-like setting, and the soft voice was Samuel, who is the only soft-spoken character in the game so far. I also imagine Rachel is within the boundaries of Blackwell Academy, due to the theory that everybody I think to be involved have Blackwell in common (Nathan, Samuel, Principal Wells) That being said, I would like to close by saying that I think episode 4 will end with Max having to choose to kill Nathan in defense and be charged with his murder or to let Nathan kill Warren and have HIM be let off because his family has the police in their pocket.