PDA

View Full Version : Counter to Choking Haze?

Barlomi
11th Aug 2014, 17:12
In the last games I've been playing, I've noticed some Vampire teams utilizing the following tactic: all, or most of the Vampires would play as a Reaver with the Choking Haze ability, next they would try to spam the Human team with their bombs. If they didn't get enough damage in, or didn't manage to split a member apart from the rest of the group (3+ bombs can cover a lot of surface), they simply wouldn't leave their roofs, wait for their Choking Haze to go off cooldown and try again. If they did manage to split someone off, or get someone reasonably low, they'd immediately jump in, focus him and activate their evasion, to get out before we could properly respond or get a kill. Only to vanish to their rooftops and lie in wait again.

Members on my team tried to go as Scouts with arrow volley and spam the roofs, but to no avail. They'd be patient, back off and wait for an opening to commence their barrage. I've played two such games now, and not only were those incredibly boring, I also couldn't figure out any good way to counter this tactic as Humans have no decent way to hunt the Vampires for themselves. And these people used that knowledge to their fullest benefit.

So, how would you go up against this line-up and turn the tides?

Sanguise23
11th Aug 2014, 17:14
heal mist alchy

Barlomi
11th Aug 2014, 17:20
heal mist alchy

That does sound solid. I'll try it out next time I'm up against this, thank you :D

MasterZtark
11th Aug 2014, 17:41
This is pretty much how you have to play in higher skill-level games right now, Vampires just don't stand a chance otherwise. Separating and/or chipping away at the Humans should always be your goal before engaging in even matches (where a team knows how to play Humans and aim well).

Blackatana1
11th Aug 2014, 18:12
Arrow volley and hunter grenades help. the healing mist is fine too. I think the best counter is great coordination. That is you can't camp and let yourself be chipped away. If the human team moves together very well you can just keep rotating around the map, hitting health stations. The team needs great coordination which you probably wont find in a pug. but if the reavers are using all their hazes together then the team can move away to a health station together, with 2 people healing while 2 stand on watch. then switch. Then the human team needs to move on. Then your just hoping the vamps make a mistake.

A much easier thing to do is more alchemists. Make them pay for sitting on roofs. rain fiery orbs down on em as they sat there waiting for haze CD. This turns it into who can chip away faster, the alchemists or the haze.

FireWorks_
11th Aug 2014, 20:07
Hunter grenades.

Aim them very high like 89°. They explode on the 3nd floor and severly punish whatever is up there with 550dmg. Master it and they come to the forum asking for advice against that spam :P

BR0sephStalin
11th Aug 2014, 23:31
The only counter you need for choking haze spam is good movement and awareness. You are likely going to take 150 damage at some point against 4 reavers, and you should. If the skill never damaged you then it would be almost worthless other than for zoning, which smoke does more effectively IMO.

Barlomi
11th Aug 2014, 23:51
Thanks for the feedback everyone :) I'm sure going to try these out and (hopefully) not get completely obliterated like those last times!

This is pretty much how you have to play in higher skill-level games right now, Vampires just don't stand a chance otherwise. Separating and/or chipping away at the Humans should always be your goal before engaging in even matches (where a team knows how to play Humans and aim well).

That does make sense, but I did enjoy the scrub tier gameplay a lot more then. Although there was less tactic, thinking and teamplay involved, I did find it to be more tense and unpredictable.
But I guess that's the case with most multiplayer games, once you've reached the ever-shifting meta you can, in fact, suspect what's about to come.

Exiled998
12th Aug 2014, 01:37
personal opinion in countering this tactic is to deploy more alch if possible have 2 of them to get healing mist to heal off the chip dmg , when 4 or 3 haze is present is not possible to heal up much cuz the 3rd trolling haze will come flying as soon the mist pop , also have the alch bring multi canons , these babies cover a wider area and definitely easier to blanket a whole rooftop with just 1 volley , so make them pay for their petty tricks by shoving them off the rooftop with the alchemist's projectile concoction of death.

key points : 2 healing mist and multi canons