PDA

View Full Version : Steadily increasing leaver penalty

enkaku-silence-
18th Jul 2015, 23:06
Leavers are still annoying in this game and the new End-Of-Match-Mercy-Rule is not changing that.
I had players leaving in the first round when it was 6-12. The problem here is not the game, it's the mentality of those people.

What I suggest is a steadily increasing penalty. It can start with 3 minutes, but it should double with every next leave.
Sounds harsh? That's how it should be! If you quit because you lose in a competitive game, you sure have a problem.

This way people who get kicked or lose connection still don't suffer that hard. People who leave games all the time get a higher and higher punishment.

Of course this should be reset after a while. I'm not sure if within 24 hours or even a week.
We'll have to see what it takes.

riccetto80
19th Jul 2015, 07:29
sound stupid, ask yourself why no other f2p ban from matchmaking the leavers, and you want to extend penalty?

KaininitePriestess
19th Jul 2015, 07:57
I think it's a great idea, honestly. The leavers are definitely still a problem.

Still, I think what's most important at this point is to make sure everything is stabilized. A great many of the quits have been from bugs, I've seen it first hand. I think once they get the stabilization down, they'll have about 50% less leavers, honestly. :/

Louves
19th Jul 2015, 10:12
sound stupid, ask yourself why no other f2p ban from matchmaking the leavers, and you want to extend penalty?

Other F2P games have leaver penalties and they are even harsher then the 3 min coffee break in Nosgoth. Some of them even have a low-priority pool so all the notorious leavers can play together. Of course that would not work for Nosgoth at the moment because of the low playerbase.

I agree with the idea of a steadily increasing leaver penalty but first the game needs to run more stable. At the moment it still crashes too much, has too many bugs and poor matchmaking.

kLauE187
19th Jul 2015, 10:34
leaver gets 3 minute penalty while all other player ingame are punished way longer which is a joke. leaverrate/game is like 70-80% already and the punishment should get higher every time like 5m/10m/30m/1h/4h/1d or something like this. or lower drops for people who leave, some kind of karma-system where ppl who never leave can get up to 150% droprate and leaver down to 25%. i wonder how many people already left because of this...

SonixSquad
19th Jul 2015, 12:46
Other F2P games have leaver penalties and they are even harsher then the 3 min coffee break in Nosgoth. Some of them even have a low-priority pool so all the notorious leavers can play together. Of course that would not work for Nosgoth at the moment because of the low playerbase.

I agree with the idea of a steadily increasing leaver penalty but first the game needs to run more stable. At the moment it still crashes too much, has too many bugs and poor matchmaking.

Agreed +1

riccetto80
19th Jul 2015, 13:25

wich games exactly?

Louves
19th Jul 2015, 13:58
wich games exactly?

Dota 2, League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, etc...basicly every game where you heavily depend on your teammates.

riccetto80
19th Jul 2015, 17:37
the userbase of this games?

the user base of nosgoth?

the possible future maxim user base of nosgoth too?

other f2p with userbase similar of nosgoth?

think hard and long...

Screwby-Dew
19th Jul 2015, 17:55
the punishment should get higher every time like 5m/10m/30m/1h/4h/1d or something like this. or lower drops for people who leave, some kind of karma-system where ppl who never leave can get up to 150% droprate and leaver down to 25%. i wonder how many people already left because of this...

I agree with this, leaver penatly should be increased everytime, for the second part of your idea I don't see any opposition to it, it should even encourage people to stay and play instead of leaving.

+1

Louves
19th Jul 2015, 18:48
the userbase of this games?

the user base of nosgoth?

the possible future maxim user base of nosgoth too?

other f2p with userbase similar of nosgoth?

think hard and long...

I don't know if you want to troll me right now or not. Read what I wrote. Even if the player base is too low for a low prio pool, that does not mean there should be no leaver penalty, because one leaver is in fact destroying the match for 7 other people.

leaver gets 3 minute penalty while all other player ingame are punished way longer which is a joke. leaverrate/game is like 70-80% already and the punishment should get higher every time like 5m/10m/30m/1h/4h/1d or something like this. or lower drops for people who leave, some kind of karma-system where ppl who never leave can get up to 150% droprate and leaver down to 25%. i wonder how many people already left because of this...

I really like the idea of a karma-system. Reward players who stay in matches :thumb:

riccetto80
19th Jul 2015, 19:24
I don't know if you want to troll me right now or not. Read what I wrote. Even if the player base is too low for a low prio pool, that does not mean there should be no leaver penalty, because one leaver is in fact destroying the match for 7 other people.

i dont troll you, you troll me!

HOW CAN YOU COMPARE NOSGOTH WITH F2P WITH A USERBASE N TIME BIGGER?????

you seems to not understand you cannot compare the way f2p with a HUGE userbase deal with leavers, with a low player base f2p

is simple stupid

you must compare nosgoth to other similar userbase f2p...

for example ghost recon phantoms, who is too heavely dependent on teamplay... they never cut people from matchmaking, ever... this mean only to cut the user base even more... they add a completion match stack with 20% bonus, if you leave you lost this bonus.

no f2p with low playerbase penalize leavers cutting they from matchmaking

also the current 3 minuts only push people to play other game, i leave anyway a stomp, and i close directly nosgoth and i open ghost recon... lol.

YOU CANNOT FORCE PEOPE TO PLAY A MATCH WHERE THERE IS NO FUN, point.

you can do something like this only when your userbase is so big, you know for sure people will come back at you no matther what, this will never happen with a little userbase game.

Louves
19th Jul 2015, 19:34
Chill with the caps, nobody's gonna hurt you.

As most of us agree here, leaver penalties should be implemented when the game is in a better state, which also means less stomps.

riccetto80
20th Jul 2015, 06:24
less stops means less leavers, so will not need anymore more punishment, lol.

leavers are not devil people who do this in purpose, are people who cannot stand a match where you loosing 20-3, or where you have 300 hours and have a teammate who clearly dont know the map and who will ruin the gameplay to all team and so on.

KaininitePriestess
20th Jul 2015, 20:28
I have 600 hours logged, and I hate getting one-sided curbstomped as much as the next guy, but I refuse to quit matches, no matter how hard I'm getting beaten. You shouldn't quit and let the other 7 people in your match down like that.

MasterShuriko
20th Jul 2015, 20:33
Getting sick as hell on players that sign up for ranked and leaves in the game! Lost matches now that we could have won with a full party and its making it hard as heck to rank good =(

RainaAudron
20th Jul 2015, 20:42
Getting sick as hell on players that sign up for ranked and leaves in the game! Lost matches now that we could have won with a full party and its making it hard as heck to rank good =(

Exactly. Don´t play ranked matches if you don´t want to finish the matches :/

Cessy000
21st Jul 2015, 05:17
doubling leaver penalty is a great idea !!!
+1

Grisamentum
21st Jul 2015, 06:21
the punishment should get higher every time like 5m/10m/30m/1h/4h/1d or something like this. or lower drops for people who leave, some kind of karma-system where ppl who never leave can get up to 150% droprate and leaver down to 25%. i wonder how many people already left because of this...

Cutting the available play time in a game that hardly anyone is playing is not a good idea. I've been kicked numerous times for reasons unknown to me & was banned for 3 minutes despite not choosing to leave. I've also had to leave matches because the 'downloading armoury' window wouldn't go away & I couldn't do anything about it other than leave the match.
The game doesn't differentiate between people ragequitting & getting kicked or having to quit because of all the bugs it has.

Also some people don't have really good internet connections so getting kicked randomly or having to leave because it's not worth playing when your ping is jumping to 500 is unavoidable.

Penalising people more than the 3 minutes is just stupid & will put people off playing altogether in some cases.
It's much better to have a reward or bonus of some sort if people don't leave.

Saikocat
21st Jul 2015, 15:31
We'll be sharing more detail closer to the introduction of changes, but the Leaver penalty change we've put in place for the second League Rankings Alpha is not the end. We are planning a tiered structure, where the penalty is affected by how frequently you quit of of matches.

Vampmaster
21st Jul 2015, 15:51
You should probably do the same for AFK players, but put a countdown on the screen in case we were just answering the phone or turning the oven off or something.

Guardian1uk
21st Jul 2015, 20:30
Leavers are seriously messing up testing of the league system and also leading to players becoming frustrated due to ending up on imbalanced teams as a result.

Devs can you PLEASE PERM BAN from league/ranked matches the worst offenders for leaving matches ie 30+ in a week or less, (ie 30+ in 2 days/4 days etc) and also strip them of the wraith fire items and the league alpha test banner, if their leaving matches that much then they are obliously NOT interested in testing the league systems and as shown by most of the threads on here it's happening a lot so obviously the point reduction is NOT having the effect you intended.
if players are leaving 50+ matches in a week or less then obviously their not interested in playing ranked period so possibly consider a complete perm ban on that account in regards to league matches (not just alpha/beta testing).

It may seem harsh but is likely a LOT more effective at causing players who current leave and leave the teams imbalanced to seriously reconsider leaving league matches.

I've been kicked numerous times for reasons unknown to me & was banned for 3 minutes despite not choosing to leave. I've also had to leave matches because the 'downloading armoury' window wouldn't go away & I couldn't do anything about it other than leave the match.
The game doesn't differentiate between people ragequitting & getting kicked or having to quit because of all the bugs it has.

Thats why they'd look at the amount of times you've "left a match" with regards to the armoury bug, there is the button on the forums marked "report a bug" use that, the more reports the devs have the better the chances of them pinning down as to the causes of said bugs.

Also some people don't have really good internet connections so getting kicked randomly or having to leave because it's not worth playing when your ping is jumping to 500 is unavoidable.

Thats solvable to a degree via using a VPN, some countries as noted do not have good internet, so using a VPN can at times improve things as your connection to the game servers are being routed through the VPN providers network as opposed to out over your countries possible bad general network backbone.
You can also try a few public matches before hand to see what your ping rate is looking like currently, Past 200ms is really pushing things, also players on multiple games have been known in the past to exploit lag (usually on pve content in other games) to their benefit.

an example being brethern raiding guild on wow used to use both TS and Vent and use one to increase all their latency as much as possible and use the other to communicate in raids, the reason they did this was to force WoW to give them more time on bosses ie more time between boss abilities etc.
In nosgoth latency can benefit vampires due to "Lag Shield" ie the vamp isn't where humans are shooting, another example of "Lag Shield" would be mechwarrior online, using light mechs and having lag actually benefits players.

Penalising people more than the 3 minutes is just stupid & will put people off playing altogether in some cases.
It's much better to have a reward or bonus of some sort if people don't leave.

They do already it's called the league banner and the wraithfire items that drop in matches, and yes there are times when you really HAVE to drop everything to go deal with things IRL, however even you would agree atm that there are a LOT of people quitting league matches which due to the fact, that unlike public matches, League matches do not search for another player to fill the gap Leading to imbalanced teams and invariably leads to losses for people who through no fault of their own find themselves 3v4, 2v4 hell even 1v4 etc and it means their being penalised for having someone on the team who quit/left.

also going back to your comment about some not having a good/stable internet....
IF YOU HAVE HIGH LATENCY OR A UNSTABLE CONECTION THEN DO NOT QUEUE FOR LEAGUE MATCHES

Grisamentum
22nd Jul 2015, 08:14
They do already it's called the league banner and the wraithfire items that drop in matches

Banners are trash, though. A moving Melcahim eye or a flashing Deceiver mask next to someone's name doesn't make the wait in the lobby any less boring to me. There needs to be something a bit more substantial for not leaving matches. TDM & Leagues.
They should have a Nosgoth edition of Centipede or LOK Chess for people to kill the time with. Or Soul Reaver Tetris with all the amazing blocks you got to push around for 90% of the game!! I would seriously never quit if those were prizes you could win for not quitting enough games.
Forget banners.

Yeah those witchfire effects do look cool but people can see you from a distance with them (like all the elemental/occult attacks for vampires) so they're not that great when you're stealthily trying to organise yourselves around the humans before attacking. If you're using charge attacks to move quickly between two buildings for example or the roll+attack method for moving faster across the map. Also the Deciever clones don't have the witchfire effect so they make that move kind of useless.

also going back to your comment about some not having a good/stable internet....
IF YOU HAVE HIGH LATENCY OR A UNSTABLE CONECTION THEN DO NOT QUEUE FOR LEAGUE MATCHES

So people in developing countries can't play league games? Nah I think I'm gonna queue for them with my 240 ping. Thanks for the advice, though B)

P.S Saikocat - I want a credit/royalties/free exalted skins if you decide to implement Soul Reaver Tetris, Nosgoth Centipede or LOK Chess, pls.