PDA

View Full Version : Nosgoth State of Play: June 2015

DunhamSmash
25th Jun 2015, 22:19
This month's blog is up, courtesy of our new guy Ryan (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/state-of-play-june-2015). But here it is in forum-form. Enjoy.

----------------------

Another month has come to a close, which means that it's time once again to look forward to the future of Nosgoth.

But, before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s first take a look at what we've accomplished these past few weeks: The month of May gave us a nice send-off with the continued Capture The Body playtest (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/last-chance-to-get-the-capture-the-body-banner), while June kicked off with the ESL Open Beta Cup Finals (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/esl-open-beta-cup-upcoming-finals-broadcasts) -- with the best teams from North America and Europe battling it out for ultimate supremacy. Soon thereafter, we posted a Community Spotlight on MasterFurbz (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/community-spotlight-masterfurbz), a man that loves Vampires but has a soft spot for Alchemists, followed by the anticipated launch of The Forge (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/the-forge-crafting-comes-to-nosgoth) (which allowed players to enchant, scrap, and reroll their gear just the way they like it). Not to be outdone, Flashpoint returned (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/june-18th-patch-and-flashpoint-event) to brighten up our weekend -- along with several tweaks and fixes -- and last but not least, the community voted on which of their favorite character skins (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/skin-sale-survey-vote-for-your-favorites) should go on sale next.

But that was then and this is now. Time to look ahead!

ONGOING - Community Spotlights
Last month's Community Spotlight focused on the (awesome) MasterFurbz. It was just the first of many articles that we plan on that will shine the light on some of our community’s most interest and wonderful players and teams. If you’d like to nominate a Nosgoth fan or team for this, do let us know on the forum or on Twitter @Nosgoth. We’re happy to take suggestions.

SOON - League Rankings
As we announced last month, the team at Square Enix Montreal is continuing their work on the Nosgoth League system. To celebrate their efforts (and to make sure it works the way we want it to), we're going to start running early alpha tests of League play very, very soon.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/530/blog_large/20150625-nosgoth-league-01.jpg?1435268169

Note: The Series names on the left in the image above are placeholder and are taken from an in-progress build.

By participating in the Alpha, players will not only get their first look at our new ranking system, but they'll also grab some exclusive rewards. Every player that participates will get Double XP during Alpha League matches, a chance to get Witchfire-effect drops (exclusive to the Leagues Alpha/Beta). And if you participate in at least five matches, you’ll also get an exclusive banner. We’ll be sharing more details on the Leagues and rewards in blog updates fairly soon.

JULY - ESL Open Beta Cup Monthly Finals
For you competitive-minded Nosgoth players out there, and for everyone that loves spectating a good match, we have some more ESL Open Beta Cup Finals broadcasts coming up. Specific detail on the timings of those matches will be shared at the start of next week, but you’ll want to mark July 2 (for the North American final) and July 6 (for the European final) on your calendars now. Matches will be streamed live from the official ESL Nosgoth Twitch page.

Head to the ESL site as well to sign up for the Open Beta Cup Series, where you can win Runestones and even cash for competing against other teams.

JULY - Noscam Improvements
By popular request, there is a new feature and some performance fixes coming to Noscam very soon. Specifically, the Square Enix Montreal team is adding a new HUD for spectator mode, pulling in stats and names, making it easier to follow competitive matches.

SUMMER - New Abilities
In the near future, we'll have a new power for the Summoner class. "Deathly Shield," the latest Secondary Ability from Clan Melchahim, provides players with a personal barrier that absorbs a ton of incoming damage (which scales based on how many enemies it hits). The shield IS more effective when triggered around larger groups of enemies, so timing and situational awareness is key.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/534/blog/deathly-shield-20-2-.gif

Bulwark, a new ability for the Vanguard class, is an upcoming Secondary Ability that will reduce damage to the player and their allies while knocking enemy players away. We’ll have more on this and other abilities in the weeks to come.

FALL - The Next Map
While the gameplay and programming team has been (and continues to work on) fixing issues and improving existing systems, the art and environment team is working on something new. Though our next map is still in development, we still wanted to share a glimpse of what we have planned next! The map will be set in Human territory that has been taken over by Vampires. This art will give you an early look at a part of the map, before we share more detail in the blog soon, along with more art to show off the location.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/531/blog/20150625-nosgoth-newmap-01.jpg

TBD - More on the Way
We are continuously working on new updates and additional content for Nosgoth, though some are still without a specific timeline. We’ll share further details in our upcoming State of Play blogs.

----------------------

And that'll do it -- another installment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? Do it right here!

GenFeelGood
25th Jun 2015, 23:09
I look forward to testing the league ranking. The new Summoner ability looks fantastic and I can't wait to see Bulwark in action.

For the new map, my best guess is the Abbey before it was flooded. Which makes sense given the next vampire class is likely to be the Rahabim.

ApollosBow
26th Jun 2015, 00:15
Good stuff. New ability (strange but cool) and map looks great (alot brighter than the last 2 which is refreshing)....looks like development on the game is coming along nicely, perhaps with this content pushed out and another optimization & bug fix patch the game could come out of beta.

Suggestions:

-Please consider returning old effect to Enraged Tyrant
-Adding chest skins to Store, even for a premium price if you must.

kLauE187
26th Jun 2015, 00:34
sounds all amazing, im hyped =)

-Adding chest skins to Store, even for a premium price if you must.

that would be not fair for everyone who got them through chests imo

GenFeelGood
26th Jun 2015, 00:39

And what of those who purchased multiple chests and got none of the skins, are they just screwed because they don't have the same luck as that minority?

ApollosBow
26th Jun 2015, 01:17
sounds all amazing, im hyped =)

I got lucky getting one skin out of 5 chests, I say lucky because there are others who have had a much worse experience in chasing the skins, I would like more skins however am not risking it after hearing to many horror stories. Also my suggestion is to put them up at a premium to ease the blow of chest buyers, perhaps 2400rs - 3600rs

And what of those who purchased multiple chests and got none of the skins, are they just screwed because they don't have the same luck as that minority?

Yup....and I wonder why the player count could be decreasing :(

Zarxiel93
26th Jun 2015, 01:21
I agree with the idea of make a chest for the skins.
I buy a lot of skins and I only found: 2 Marked Dumahim (when the trade will be avaible I will trade it for a skin I want), 1 Marked Zephonim, Cover of Darkeness, Unholy Fervor and a lot A LOT of usless ability, I'm really happy for the 2 skins and the 2 abilities, but the rest is totally useless -.-

ukdrewuk
26th Jun 2015, 01:22
Looking forward to the League Rankings, hopefully this brings in new players and brings old players back.

Zombiekatze
26th Jun 2015, 07:14
I think the non exalted chests should also have a chance to drop the skins, maye a slightly lower one if you must, but that's just my two cents on this topic.

Really looking forward to the new map, I hope it will be what I think it is.
And nice to hear you're working on Noscam too.

KaininitePriestess
26th Jun 2015, 07:41
I wonder...that next map wouldn't perhaps be a particular Abbey, would it...? :'D Or maybe a certain Cathedral? :gamer:

lucinvampire
26th Jun 2015, 08:32
JULY - Noscam Improvements
By popular request, there is a new feature and some performance fixes coming to Noscam very soon. Specifically, the Square Enix Montreal team is adding a new HUD for spectator mode, pulling in stats and names, making it easier to follow competitive matches.

I’m hoping the improvements to Noscam will fix the recording of Flashpoint matches, mainly so that the capture point displays rather than either being a flame or nothing at all, it makes it very hard to show off this mode as it is.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/534/blog/deathly-shield-20-2-.gif

Super Saiyan Summoner :D can’t wait to see this new ability and play with it!

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/531/blog/20150625-nosgoth-newmap-01.jpg

Ooooooohhhhhh new maaaaapppppppppp really really really cant wait to see more!!!! :D :D

Vampmaster
26th Jun 2015, 09:07
I wonder...that next map wouldn't perhaps be a particular Abbey, would it...? :'D Or maybe a certain Cathedral? :gamer:

I thought of the Avernus Cathedral too. After being burned more than 1000 years ago, it should absolutely be crumbling away like that. I figured it would have been completely gone my now, but churches are massive heavy buildings mean to lat, so maybe some ruins survived.

I hadn't considered the Abbey (Maybe we get to know it's real name!) before it was drowned. We know it used to belong to the humans at one point, since the EG said it was "once a sanctuary against the vampire menace", but it's very hard to pinpoint when the vampires and specifically took over it. These carvings seem to suggest that evolved Turelim may have attempted to conquer it only for the humans to resort to drowning it and the Rahabim moved in some time later. Daniel's comments confirm this possibility.
http://www.nosgoth.net/Soul_Reaver/dialogue/DrownedAbbey.jpg

The other place I thought it reminded me of was the Necropolis. It could be a human town in the vicinity of that location.

Lots of other places it could be too. Vorador's mansion could be in a pretty bad state by now as well.

AntiqueGod
26th Jun 2015, 09:18

No one is forcing you to buy chests, as this guys said its not going to be fair to put this skins in store.
If you really want them, wait for trade system or pickup your wallet and hope you are going to get skin.

Vampmaster
26th Jun 2015, 09:25
No one is forcing you to buy chests, as this guys said its not going to be fair to put this skins in store.
If you really want them, wait for trade system or pickup your wallet and hope you are going to get skin.

Adjusting the odds and separating the stats only items from the aesthetic upgrades would help though.

AntiqueGod
26th Jun 2015, 09:28
>very, very soon.
Pls

ApollosBow
26th Jun 2015, 09:34

So your point is what? wait for the trade system, and then? I definitely wont be trading my exalted for regular skins, and neither would anyone else when they could simply buy them. Your other suggestion is great though! we should all pickup our wallets and just throw however much money it will take, sure some have spent past 15,000rs and got nothing but we'll get there in the end right?...probably not but spending money on nothing is kinda fun huh...

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--FbWSWe_a--/1994bnap0ub5gjpg.jpg

KaininitePriestess
26th Jun 2015, 09:39
I thought of the Avernus Cathedral too.

I'd actually meant the Silenced Cathedral, the Zephonim territory, but Avernus would be amazing, too! 8D

ApollosBow
26th Jun 2015, 09:42
Early Human Citadel perhaps

Vampmaster
26th Jun 2015, 09:55
Early Human Citadel perhaps

This place is falling apart. The human Citadel was a highly fortified sanctuary even centuries later in SR1.

RainaAudron
26th Jun 2015, 13:00
I'd actually meant the Silenced Cathedral, the Zephonim territory, but Avernus would be amazing, too! 8D

Silenced Cathedral was not falling apart either.

AntiqueGod
26th Jun 2015, 13:12
So your point is what? wait for the trade system, and then? I definitely wont be trading my exalted for regular skins, and neither would anyone else when they could simply buy them. Your other suggestion is great though! we should all pickup our wallets and just throw however much money it will take, sure some have spent past 15,000rs and got nothing but we'll get there in the end right?...probably not but spending money on nothing is kinda fun huh...

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--FbWSWe_a--/1994bnap0ub5gjpg.jpg

The whole idea of chest is like slot machine.
Yeah, sure now imagine someone used over 15k runestones and got finally skin, hey lets now sell all skins in store! yay!
Devs are not going to add skins from chests to store, just deal with it. They will stay in chests.
And i think in future then human chest have all skins for all classes they will remove them at some point and make new chests with new skins. Or they will just simply add new chests, and not going to remove old.

GenFeelGood
26th Jun 2015, 13:51
Yeah, sure now imagine someone used over 15k runestones and got finally skin, hey lets now sell all skins in store! yay!
Devs are not going to add skins from chests to store, just deal with it. They will stay in chests.

Now imagine someone spent 16K runestones and got no skins. Only that isn't a hypothetical, that was my experience.

Vampmaster
26th Jun 2015, 13:53
Now imagine someone spent 16K runestones and got no skins. Only that isn't a hypothetical, that was my experience.

Why didn't you stop? I normally just buy one or two things on pay day and then leave it until next time so I'm not letting it get out of control. Also, I'm waiting until trading is working before I start spending a lot on random stuff.

GenFeelGood
26th Jun 2015, 14:04
Why didn't you stop? I normally just buy one or two things on pay day and then leave it until next time so I'm not letting it get out of control. Also, I'm waiting until trading is working before I start spending a lot on random stuff.

Does spacing the purchases out actually make a difference in the odds?

edit
Whether you buy & open 16 chests over 8 weeks or in around 8 minutes, the number of chests and the odds associated with them are the same either way.

Vampmaster
26th Jun 2015, 14:48
Does spacing the purchases out actually make a difference in the odds?

edit
Whether you buy & open 16 chests over 8 weeks or in around 8 minutes, the number of chests and the odds associated with them are the same either way.

It doesn't effect the odds. The reason I spaced them out is so I can see what kind of odds other players are getting and work out whether I'll have stuff worth trading. It also means I'm not using up too much of my monthly pay cheque on chests when there's only a low chance of getting the items I want and have better things to spend the money on.

GenFeelGood
26th Jun 2015, 21:59
It doesn't effect the odds. The reason I spaced them out is so I can see what kind of odds other players are getting and work out whether I'll have stuff worth trading. It also means I'm not using up too much of my monthly pay cheque on chests when there's only a low chance of getting the items I want and have better things to spend the money on.

A sensible way to budget with sound thinking behind it, it just isn't the way I do it. I budget annually, no more than a set amount per year. The chests ate up this year's budget, so I will be refraining from further purchases til next year.

Zarxiel93
26th Jun 2015, 22:06
What about the ability of the unreleased achievments?

ApollosBow
27th Jun 2015, 00:26
Just deal with it. They will stay in chests.

I could go with that attitude about everything in games OR I could provide my feedback weather good or bad because what the hell its a game in Beta and things are subject to change.

Yeah pretty disgraceful experience, it doesn't matter if they were spaced out or not, the system is to harsh\broken regardless.

Grisamentum
27th Jun 2015, 07:27

I checked the other night & there are 12 different items in the exalted human chest. Allowing repeat items is desperate, insulting & skeezy behaviour. If you're prepared to spend 12000 runestones on chests then they should at least give you everything in them.
GenFeelGood got zero skins from those chests. 16ooo runes & you don't get everything? It's a joke.
Srs.

People have said it enough times before but instead of thinking up desperate attempts at making money Psyonix should be fixing what's driving people away from the game in the 1st place. If it didn't run like crap, at more than 20fps perhaps & each new patch didn't come with a bunch of new bugs then more people would be playing it & you wouldn't need to insult your players with things like chests. There's nothing wrong with new cosmetic items (Nosgoth needs them, imo) but when the only way of obtaining them is to throw your money away with no guarantee of actually getting anything you really want it's just another insult.

P.S When is there going to be a backstory to the marked skins? It was mentioned when the Crucible was released but nothing more since then. You could've paid a fan £50 to write some fan fiction explaining it by now :lmao:

The_Hylden
27th Jun 2015, 23:45
I remind people in this thread to treat each other, and the company you're giving constructive criticism to, with respect going forward.

Crowfinger
28th Jun 2015, 19:19
Hey Guys how popular is this game? Is it worth playing on because theres not alot of players

KaininitePriestess
29th Jun 2015, 07:05
This is a GREAT game. Don't let the small playerbase scare you. It's so very worth it, I play it every day, I'm addicted to it!

pidden
29th Jun 2015, 08:30
Its the best game i know of and even thou its the same mode, its still diffrent gameplay depending on what character you play.
Its a small playerbase but its still beta.

FireWorks_
29th Jun 2015, 09:23
@Psyonix
What happend to the daily missions from earlier announcements?

eXmoRtiZ
29th Jun 2015, 09:57
Hello there :) Any specific info about league system implementation date? I CAN'T WAIT T_T

Saikocat
29th Jun 2015, 10:17
@Psyonix
What happend to the daily missions from earlier announcements?

I believe they're still on the cards, but a few other things have taken priority, including the optimization improvements and bug fixes.

Hello there :) Any specific info about league system implementation date? I CAN'T WAIT T_T

It's very soon :) Once we can confirm a date we'll let everyone here know! It's what we're working on getting ready for release now.

FireWorks_
29th Jun 2015, 11:23
I believe they're still on the cards, but a few other things have taken priority, including the optimization improvements and bug fixes.

Really hope they get things done in the tech department. Would be nice to see the game restored to its former glory, where it was very enjoyable.

AntiqueGod
30th Jun 2015, 07:57
Very soon they said... :(

Saikocat
30th Jun 2015, 13:06
Very soon they said... :(

Very soon :)
We'll confirm the day once we can, we're getting things ready to be able to push that update out, so once that's locked in I can post some news here.