PDA

View Full Version : Official Digital & Physical Release Discussion

NunoFPM
25th Jun 2015, 03:43
One of the most hot topics about the new Hitman game is the fact that it'll be released on the 8th of December but only on digital media.

This topic is for us, the gamers, make our opinion be known on this matter and discuss it, I will try to keep this discussion up-to-date with any new information about this subject has it emerges.

What We Know So Far:

1º- Hitman will release on December 8th only on digital media.
2º- A physical version will be released but only on 2016, the exact date is unknown.
3º- A Collector's Edition has been announced with a voting where we can choose what does it include, release date unknown.
4º- The price for the digital release stands at 60$ for now (standard price for a new game in your currency).
5º- You can pre-order Hitman for PS4 and PC, Xbox One is not available.
6º- Pre-ordering on PS4 grants access to a Beta a week earlier than the PC one.
7º- Buying the digital media version will grant you access to all content release for this story.

UPTADE (07/09/2015)

8º- What's being released on the 8th of December IS NOT the full game.
9º- The story will be delivered in pieces over time.

My Opinion:

My first though is, why? Why only digital download at release? Is IO expecting to sell more? It's true that PC gamers have embraced this method with open arms, console players not so much. Physical medial is still the preferred version for console players.
The second thing that crossed my mind was, what can "Digital Release Only" offer that a physical can't?

"It allows us to do things that are both bold and exciting and entirely new to the Hitman experience."

"Rather than unboxing a game, playing it and then that’s sort of it, we want to deliver a true community experience - creating an ongoing and evolving game which plays out with a finale that brings the story arc together."

"Another big part of this new approach is that we will develop the game with you, the players, and adjust gameplay and create live content and events based on player activity and feedback.

"For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story."

These quotes were all taken from the blog post Announcing Hitman, which you can read here https://hitman.com/news/announcing-hitman

So what you are saying is that if it isn't digital download you can't update the game with new features such has those "48 hours only contracts", you can't communicate with gamers in order to adjust and develop the game, you can't create an evolving game with a finale that ties the story arc together?
Rockstar continues to update GTA V (Online) with free content, whether it's a digital or physical copy of the game, CD Projekt Red plan of 16 free DLC's for The Witcher 3 is for both physical and digital copies of the game, IO-Interactive (you) gave players the ability to create their own contracts and share them with everyone in the world for them to play in Hitman: Absolution in physical and digital game copies.
So I ask, what can the Digital Release Only offer that the Physical can't?

We are witnessing an era in the videogame industry where people pay to play alpha and beta versions of a game that isn't finished and it's broken, however you offer a pre-order deal that gives players the ability to experience the Beta and then the full game when it's out, sounds very good, but here lies my question, if you want people to help you develop the game through a Beta why are you charging for it? Are you saying that those who do not pre-order the digital release only, but will later buy the game can't help or don't have a saying in the matter? So if I want to test the game and help develop the game I have to pay the full price of it, buying the game, without even knowing if it's good. What if I don't like it?

Creating a good story for any game is crucial and in Hitman is no different, but in the new Hitman in order for us to explore and complete the full story arc, it can only be done through digital download only. By this train of though I am to assume that when the game comes out, the story it's not yet finished and it's finale will be revealed in "updates to come", meaning DLC. Or does this mean that the story will be complete by it's launch only to be altered later by future events to come, in DLC? And a finale that was created together with the gamers that bought the Beta, pre-order the game digital version only?

"For $60 you’ll get full access to all of this content – everything we release as part of this story." this sentence is crucial to me and the last part "everything we release as part of this story". Does this mean that there will be paid DLC with exclusive content related to other stories being released later?

And in the middle of all this, where do PHYSICAL COPY OWNERS stand? If we don't buy the digital copy we can't experience the full story? If we don't buy the pre-order for digital release only we can't be part of the beta and develop of the game with our feedback? If we don't buy the digital copy we will not be eligible for the "everything you release as part of this story" part?
If I want to buy the Collector's Edition with a physical copy of the game, that has been announced but no release date other than 2016, I'll have to wait until then for it when everything is already known due to the game being already released? Or do I have to buy the game two times, one in digital content in order to experience everything and play the game when it launches and another when the Collector's Edition comes out?

These are pressing questions to me, I've been playing Hitman since Silent Assassin and I love it, but with these new developments about the game I am actually afraid of what might, eventually, get in my hands.
I would also like to ear what other gamers, whether you are console gamer like myself or a pc gamer, have to say about this matter, because might with like or not, it's a giant step in a different direction.

Buscar88
25th Jun 2015, 09:17
I see some huge paranoia in your post. And this is comprehensable nowadays.

But I think you might got something wrong.
At first its inapplicable to addapt the GTA V (Online) business model on Hitman. Rockstar doesn't release story or singleplayer related content. But they also tried to figure out, what GTA players liked the most in the singleplayer part and developed (according to the players feedback) content for GTA Online, for example the Heist Missions. This customer orientated development is impossible without the digital download.

Secondly: The risk of playing an alpha or beta version is low. Especially with a digital copy. Once you have opened the box of a physical copy, a return to the seller is very difficult. If you download the game on Steam for example, you get your money back, if you don't like the game or its quality (within 14 days and if you played it less than two hours).
A physical copy DOES NOT protect you from poor quality, as you can see in Batman: Arkham Knight (PC Version). Owners of a physical copy are ****ed right now. Steam Players can get their money back instead.

Thirdly: You aren't forced to buy the digital download. 2016 is the year for gamers who prefer the physical copy. Maybe they have to go without some 48h assasination events. But this shouldn't be much of the main content.

I imagine this kind of release model as follows:
If IO had released Absolution this way, they would have seen, according to the gamers feedback, that the design of the missions sucked very hard (for example). For later missions, they could have changed the linear gameplay to a more sandbox orientated design.
Edit: And in addition, how could I forget: They would have canceled this rediculously immersion killing scoring system afterwards!

So for Hitman, let me put it that way:
When a lot of players prefer to kill their targets with a sniper rifle or via accident, IO has the possibilty to modify later missions for this kind of gameplay. For example they design the map more extensive an add more realistic sniper spots to the map. If players don't like or miss specific features (for example instinct mode) they remove or add them from/to a later content pack. If the players want a huge shootout for the final, it's possible to implement this kind of mission. This is only possible with a segmented, digital release. But it has to be done right. That means, IO maybe has to favor the gamers choice and feedback over their own concept, how Hitman has to be.

But yeah, there are risks. The risk of paying 60 bucks for a game that you don't like exists, but for both release models.
At the moment, the only downside of the digital release model that comes to my mind is, that IO or SE could get bankrupt within the release period. But the probability is low.

The vision of this concept is great, but the actual realisation remains the greatest uncertainity.

spotter05
25th Jun 2015, 12:40
At the moment, the only downside of the digital release model that comes to my mind is, that IO or SE could get bankrupt within the release period. But the probability is low.

The vision of this concept is great, but the actual realisation remains the greatest uncertainity.

well said. let's hope the people will get used and stop panicking about this business approach. Arma3 developers tried something very similar and it worked out good for them so i think IO/SE will succeed as well.

NunoFPM
25th Jun 2015, 12:47
I don't think of it has paranoia but questions that are important.

Regarding the Rockstar comment, yes Rockstar only added content to the online portion of the game, but I gave you the example of The Witcher 3 that has added content to the single-player portion of the game. Also my worries are not in DLC, my concerns are about the Digital Release Only Version of the game. That's what worries me.

You only talked about Steam making my point obvious, PC gamers have embraced this way of buying a game, you just need to look at Steam Summer Sales, it's madness in every way and in a good sense, I think it's a great way to do it. But where does this leave console players? All my friends buy physical copies of games and I do it so myself, not only that both the PS4 and Xbox One online stores don't have that pretty functionality you mentioned, if we buy the game digitally that's it, we can't give it back to them, while in physical media I can still sell back to some stores or even trade with someone.

I agree, I'm not forced to buy the digital version of the game if I'm ok with waiting for an unknown release date of the physical version down the line in 2016 when everything is already known to us, if i want to buy the game when it comes out, like many of us here as Hitman fans, I'm left without a choice but to buy the digital version, so in a way we are forced to buy the digital version.
Also we don't know exactly what content this is, what we know is that players who prefer the physical version will have to wait until that unknown time in 2016 to play the full game, that's a lot of content to me.

I get what you are saying, but I'm sorry that's not truth, we see games coming out already with Day 1 patches in order to modify certain aspects of the game, almost every game has a patch update to remove or add something to it's single-player and to correct bugs and since they said that for the 60$ we are allowed to everything related to this story, they can release it has free DLC just like the The Witcher 3, or if it's the online portion of the game they want to update just look at GTA V or Destiny.

But at least with the physical version I can sell to someone else or trade with a friend if I don't like it like I said before, if that's the only downside you see then let me tell you there are more and that's a big one already to me.

The vision is great, yes it is that's why it's a huge success on the pc platform, but not on consoles. I think console players will not embrace this as pc gamers did at least not for now.

Rubber_Ducky
26th Jun 2015, 01:44
Like i said the other day. Have IO forgotten why the Xbox One reveal was such a massive disaster. It was because Microsoft tried to make the Xbox One always online and digital download games only. The gaming world went totally nuts and Microsoft still hasn't recovered from it 2 years on. And the reason the Playstation 4 was a success was because it was a no nonsense gaming machine with physical copies.

Also, when IO revealed the game at E3, they took to Twitter to ask fans what they thought. The majority of tweets were asking for, even begging for, a physical disc release. Look right across social media and YouTube and you will see fans are not happy about a digital version being released first, the business model IO is using and Agent 47's new face. The business model has also left many gamers confused and put off. I know that the fans who download games are the minority as stats show that the majority of gamers do not download, even dlc. So the many fans waiting on the disc release are being alienated in a way, because by the time they get their hands on the disc release the entire story and content will have inevtiably been leaked and spoiled.

When you look at Youtube comments many fans are majorly confused and cannot got their head around why Agent 47 looks younger, if it is a reboot and if it is before or after Absolution. Even when people TELL them the details to those 3 widely asked questions, they are still confused in the masses. lol Imagine how confused they are going to be when IO attempts to explain the complex business model to them and how the content will be released, the 48 hour hits etc etc. It's going to be like watching apes attempt to work out a rubix cube.

Keep it simple and no nonsense. Disc and digital release on the same day. 10 to 15 Blood Money style levels and that's it.

Striike
26th Jun 2015, 17:11
Maybe I'm the only one that remembers not being able to get the PC Professional Version of Absolution on disc? I pre-ordered through Gamestop, but when they tried to change me to a digital copy and download it through Gamestop's service, I canceled and went to Steam instead. PC gamers have long accepted the idea of digital only copies. Its only a matter of time before the console world will have to do the same. Whether they jump on board or not remains to be seen.

Quajek
1st Jul 2015, 16:15
Look right across social media and YouTube and you will see fans are not happy about a digital version being released first... I know that the fans who download games are the minority as stats show that the majority of gamers do not download, even dlc...

Keep it simple and no nonsense. Disc and digital release on the same day. 10 to 15 Blood Money style levels and that's it.

The only person I've seen consistently getting upset about this release model is you, or someone else is going on other websites and repeating your exact wording about buying games at Christmas and not having anything to wrap under the tree.

I've seen you mention "statistics" a bunch of times as how you know that most gamers don't download games or DLC, but you never say what statistics or where you got them. I know I personally download games, so I have no problem with this release model.

I think that giving us 17 years of excellent entertainment has earned them the right to try something different with the game they're building.

Let them try it.

Rubber_Ducky
1st Jul 2015, 16:52
The only person I've seen consistently getting upset about this release model is you, or someone else is going on other websites and repeating your exact wording about buying games at Christmas and not having anything to wrap under the tree.

I've seen you mention "statistics" a bunch of times as how you know that most gamers don't download games or DLC, but you never say what statistics or where you got them. I know I personally download games, so I have no problem with this release model.

I think that giving us 17 years of excellent entertainment has earned them the right to try something different with the game they're building.

Let them try it.

Ummm, no! You should open your eyes a bit more. I just posted many links and stats. Not that i should have to. You all have the internet at your fingertips and a brain. There are several people in the forum alone expressing concern over the new Hitman game. Then if you go to YouTube and social media you will see backlash over the business model and agent 47's new face mostly.

You like to download games, then that is fine. That is your personal preference. But you should respect others prefrences too! Cheers!

Edit:I shouldn't need to post stats and links really. Look at the Xbox One reveal as proof in itself. They wanted the XO one to de digital downloads and online only. The backlash from around the world was huge. People demanding physcial copies on a mass scale worldwide. Microsoft still haven't recovered from that reveal 2 years on.

You also have the internet at your fingertips to do your own data research. It only takes a second.

I remember reading articles that said 64% of Xbox 360 owners do not download or play games online. There were over 80 million Xbox 360's sold at that time.

Downloadable game sales figures are never that great and further prove that downloadable games don't sell that well.

But on to a quick internet search....

Only 6% of console cosnsumers buy DLC. 15% get cotntent via DLC on PC.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/onl.../1100-6279895/

In the United States 16% has ditched physical media for digital media.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...aded-games-npd

When you look at "Physical VS Digital games, which do you prefer?" polls. Physcial copies win hands down.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/games...ases-31174868/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/xbox-...ital-31684056/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/plays...game-31385784/

Remember, the average age of a gamer is now 35 and gets older each year. Gamers from the 70's, 80's, 90's and early 2000's come from a time where games were campaign only. There was no online gaming like we have had from the mid 2000's onwards. They grew up with, know, love and are used to campaign gaming. This is "one of many reasons" why campaigns still exist in games today. A little data research of my own here. As a 34 yr old gamer myself, i do not and will not download games even if i could. I have played a couple of games online but generally didn't enjoy it for various reasons. (Mainly the dicks on mic, leaving mics on and screaming kids, fighting and trolling). The vast majority of my friends and family feel the same way as me. We love buying a brand new console, getting it home and taking it out the box and firing it up for the first time. And we like to go out and buy physcial copies to have in our hands. You have something to show for your money. Don't have to worry about deleting it to make more room. You can share it with friends and family or trade in and sell it if you wish etc etc etc. Several of my friends who have been gaming since it began and been around for every console war have no idea how to even game online or download believe it or not. And they simply do not want to know.

Rubber_Ducky
1st Jul 2015, 17:04
As i was saying above about backlash being worldwide. One quick peek at any Hitman reveal footage on YouTube gives you comments like these.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/2rqhxfp.jpg

mordrahn
2nd Jul 2015, 00:53
This needs to be cleared up. They say "we will develop the game with you". Does this mean:

(1) When calling up the main menu, will there be a choice for "Campaign" and a second
choice to play the added missions as stand-alones?
(2) As each new mission is added, will they fit into the campaign?

I don't have a problem with choice 1, but I hate choice 2. That would mean the game isn't
actually complete on launch like they claim. This means the fans are actually paying a
company $60 to make a game. Hell no. I refuse to pay a company for me to help them make a
game. If they want customers to help make the game, use the forums, or they should pay the
customers. If choice 2 is what is happening then this Hitman game becomes a huge no-sale
for me. Also, I won't ever buy a game from this company again.

Buscar88
2nd Jul 2015, 08:58
I'm affraid but I must agree...

IO and Square Enix: Regarding your business model this is a total PR disaster!

Beside of some clarifications inside of this forum, there is a huge lack of information out there.
You have to face the questions why you didn't mention the amount of relaese content or at least a more precise release schedule.

If you experiment with new methods concering the release of a game, you have to explain and share every detail of your plans with the gamers and your community. Our confidence in the gaming industry was damaged thanks to EA, Activision and Ubisoft and their maketing strategies. You are going to make the same mistakes and it will cost you a lot of fans, customers and money.

I can only call on you to change you transparency concering you business model! More facts, less hints.

NunoFPM
14th Jul 2015, 02:12
After the first Q&A article we now know that the full game won't launch at December 8 but only part of it, we also know that the story will be delivered in "chunks" through various uptades, we've also learned that there are no micro-transactions nor payed DLC, the 60$ will include all of the story and "live assassinations".

First things first, for 60$ and at the release date we won't have the full game.

What we release on December 8th is not the full game. It’s a sizeable chunk of it.

I'm sorry but for 60$ a "sizeable chunk" is nothing short of a bad joke, are you serious? You want us to pay the full price and not have the full game? You're right in not calling it "early-access" because for that to apply it would have to be only 10$ or 20$ at most, but when I pay 60$ for game I want the full game with the full story arc.
Besides this everything else sounds like an early-access:

Throughout 2016 we’ll release more locations and missions until the story arc is done and finished

All of the content we release live to our players will be complete and polished, whether that’s the locations and missions we release on December 8th, the live events or the locations and missions that we will release in 2016.

There are some episodic elements to the story in the sense that it’s delivered in chunks over time, so experiencing the story will probably feel episodic.

We’ll also be improving and changing the game constantly whilst you’re playing it.

I'm sorry but it clearly sounds like early-access, the story will be released in pieces and you'll be changing the game "constantly", sure it can be polished but it isn't finished. I don't even know how the game ends for 60$ because it'll be released later in free DLC, because let's face it, it's free DLC. You are breaking your game in pieces and then giving it to us throughout 2016. Also from what I know about games that are not finished and are being released and change over time is that they are never polished.

Now to the people who previously said that this digital release only, could work and has been working on PC, I want to know if you would pay 60$ for an unfinished game, I want to know your opinion.

Also, you say you'll be changing the game constantly, so let's say I like a certain functionality and then you later take it away, now a game that previously worked for me is broke in some way, it can be a minor change, it can, but by the way you're talking it's going to be many of them and that can't be good.

I'm sorry but I'm really sad with these news, I mean it just sounds bad from every angle I say it, I try to figure out a way to make it look nice but there's no way.

mordrahn
14th Jul 2015, 07:51
I spent a good bit of the weekend reading comments at gaming news sites about gamers'
response to the digital version of this game. A very high percentage hate what's being
done. They see it as early access (the gamers will be helping make the game), they just
won't be paying extra money. They see the missions and locations downloaded as episodes,
just free. It is not a complete game at launch; it is early access; the game will be
dribbled out in episodes. That is how many of them see it, and that is how I see it. They
are saying no sale for the digital version; they will wait for disk. Then that version
will be bought new, on sale, bargain bin, or used, depending on the poster.

As for me, I will not support a company that that is doing this. Whether disk or digital,
it should be complete on release. I will never buy a game from SE again unless I get it
used. I also will not buy any game made by IO.

Rubber_Ducky
14th Jul 2015, 13:10
I spent a good bit of the weekend reading comments at gaming news sites about gamers'
response to the digital version of this game. A very high percentage hate what's being
done. They see it as early access (the gamers will be helping make the game).

The thing is, only the small percentage of people who download games will "help them make the game". The majority of people waiting on the disc release won't have any influence on the game as they won't be playing it until the full version releases on disc about a year later. So the majority of fans, the disc fans, won't be helping to "make the game" at all. Over half the fanbase has been alienated by this idea. And by the time people get the game on disc the entire story and content will have been spoiled as they will know everything about it by then. This will inevitably effect disc sales. Some people will be like "Ahhh, already seen what happens in the game, i'll wait for it to be half price or get it second hand." It's gunnnnnaaaaa happen, you mark my words. :gamer:

SaiTangHuang
20th Jul 2015, 22:15
I think both sides have good arguments. Using existing data to assess a future scenario is a good way to estimate risk, but it isn't definitive. Usually because of some underlying still hidden differences between the historic scenario and the predicted scenario.
let me know if I'm wrong. One example I could use perhaps is precisely the Xbox one scenario. Perhaps the key factor of failure was the fact that they were forcing people to adopt this model for all the games on that platform for the whole life span of the platform. that is a lot to ask to a segment which naturally shys away from digital.

The scenario at hand, though, very similar, is at a whole complete level. They're forcing us to do this for one game only. To some people this may fall into the category of: I never downloaded games, not even DLCs, but maybe it's time to try it for Hitman just as an exception. Many times we make the mistake of only defining our logic and arguments around polarised points of view, when in reality there's a huge scale of grey and hidden factors which will eventually yield a less than clean result.

Also, the issue about social media's majority opinion going against this new format. I'm not saying this is not true, but I think we should also appreciate the fact that I seem to only voice something when I'm not happy about it. When I think: this is ok, I can deal with it. I don't really say anything on social media. So perhaps there is a tendency for more expressivity of negative perspectives online? I haven't focused on reading those so I don't know if there is also a group of people who depend this model.

To be fair. I never download, but I will if I have to. Xmas present is a minor thing. Not having physical is a minor thing. I can live with it.

My worries go to the people who for whatever reason can't download. But then again, I'm wondering. Who would be on a ps4 and paying 60$ for a game, and at the same time can't afford internet fees? Maybe the ps4 demographic won't suffer too much from people literally not being able to download.

After all this there's the hurdle of convincing the hard-core physical fans. Who will strongly defend their way of gaming life, and will come up with a lot of reasons, some good ones some not so good.

The key takeaway however, is that we're only debating here. I wish we could get a poll. We don't have a way to quantify all these groups of people.

SaiTangHuang
22nd Jul 2015, 18:59
Hannes Seifert is giving a talk about modular sandbox design in August. Please see the introduction here

http://schedule.gdceurope.com/sessio...ows-for-hitman

It is interesting to notice that the following ideas can be implied from this text:
-When IO said this is going to be the biggest Hitman ever they we're referring to their new found way of producing large amounts of quality content via a modular approach. Quote from the link above:"we have changed our traditional monolithic level structure into a much more modular structure, allowing us to reuse game components across missions. This talk is about the changes we have made to our tools and workflows to accommodate that, and how it has improved our productivity."

- The digital episodic release format may very well have been fundamentally connected with IOs Hitman design principles, contrary to some people's views that the release format is mainly a ploy to coincide with the movie release while downplaying the fact that the game is unfinished. It could be that with the new way of development they organised their schedule around a modular release format as well.

-If the two implications above are correct then we may expect IO to be in a position where it's difficult for them to pull a u-turn and revert to physical format even if they want to. Unless we're looking at a much later release date to accommodate the time needed to pack in the disc enough content. It's very possible to use the new modular development for the traditional release, but more time is needed because IO preassumed a modular release format which is more permissive with time

GENOMEFOX
27th Feb 2016, 03:09
im a little lost i have pre ordered a Physical copy of Hitman at full price for PS4 Do i need to buy the Intro Pack and Upgrade Pack to gain access to all content? or do i get all that content at release ? also is the Physical copy of Hitman released on March 11th? please let me know thanks

Valenka
27th Feb 2016, 03:54
im a little lost i have pre ordered a Physical copy of Hitman at full price for PS4 Do i need to buy the Intro Pack and Upgrade Pack to gain access to all content? or do i get all that content at release ? also is the Physical copy of Hitman released on March 11th? please let me know thanks

Lost indeed. :p

The physical copy of Hitman isn't launching until the end of 2016. The digital version launches on 11 March; the Intro Pack gets you the Prologue and Paris while the Upgrade Pack grants you access to the rest of the game as it is released monthly. Otherwise, you could pre-order the Full Experience, which gives you everything for $59.99 flat, opposed to paying the $5 convenience fee for getting the Intro Pack and Upgrade Pack.

Here's the full release model:

Intro Pack - $15
Prologue and Paris episodes
Each additional destination/episode available as DLC for $10 each

Upgrade Pack (aka Season Pass) - $50
Italy, Morocco, Thailand, United States and Japan destinations/episodes

Full Experience - $60
Everything (with Italy, Morocco, Thailand, United States and Japan as they launch each month)

Physical Release - $60 (placeholder)
Doesn't launch until end of 2016/beginning of 2017
Contains everything, minus the live events that occur between launch on 11 March and launch of physical version

GENOMEFOX
27th Feb 2016, 06:09
Lost indeed. :p

The physical copy of Hitman isn't launching until the end of 2016. The digital version launches on 11 March; the Intro Pack gets you the Prologue and Paris while the Upgrade Pack grants you access to the rest of the game as it is released monthly. Otherwise, you could pre-order the Full Experience, which gives you everything for $59.99 flat, opposed to paying the $5 convenience fee for getting the Intro Pack and Upgrade Pack.

Here's the full release model:

Intro Pack - $15
Prologue and Paris episodes
Each additional destination/episode available as DLC for $10 each

Upgrade Pack (aka Season Pass) - $50
Italy, Morocco, Thailand, United States and Japan destinations/episodes

Full Experience - $60
Everything (with Italy, Morocco, Thailand, United States and Japan as they launch each month)

Physical Release - $60 (placeholder)
Doesn't launch until end of 2016/beginning of 2017
Contains everything, minus the live events that occur between launch on 11 March and launch of physical version

But do i get a digital copy as well on March 11th if ive pre ordered physical version ? i just really need to know so i can cancel my physical copy at my local EB Games i would like to play the game on the 11th not next year sorry for all the questions you gave me all the info needed but what i am asking now. please answer thanks

Immadummee
27th Feb 2016, 09:55
But do i get a digital copy as well on March 11th if ive pre ordered physical version ? i just really need to know so i can cancel my physical copy at my local EB Games i would like to play the game on the 11th not next year sorry for all the questions you gave me all the info needed but what i am asking now. please answer thanks

No. You do not get the digital copy if you've ordered the physical copy. They are both 2 different copies. Just like any other game, if you buy physical, you don't get the same game in digital.

So if you wanna pay it on March 11th, you need to cancel your EB games order and order it on psn/xbl.

Valenka
27th Feb 2016, 16:39

No. You do not get the digital copy if you've ordered the physical copy. They are both 2 different copies. Just like any other game, if you buy physical, you don't get the same game in digital.

So if you wanna pay it on March 11th, you need to cancel your EB games order and order it on psn/xbl.

That is correct. Purchasing a physical copy of a game does not grant you a digital copy...like with any other game in the world. :p

GENOMEFOX
27th Feb 2016, 18:49
Thanks guys i guess i should be on my way to EB Games Cancel physical copy and get me a PSN Card cheers! and enjoy the game :)

KManX89
27th Feb 2016, 23:02
Sucks the physical copy won't be coming out until late 2016, roughly around the same time ROTTR will finally hit PS4 and Mass Effect: Andromeda will be coming out. I take it they're not banking on a ton of physical copies and expecting to earn the bulk of their sales off the episodic experience?

I'm put off on digital purchases in general, I generally only do it if it's a digital-only release such as the Special Edition of Devil May Cry 4 on PS4. As such, I'm opposed to episodic games. I understand why they're doing it for the Final Fantasy VII remake, because it's essentially several full-game installments, but they done lost their mind doing it with Hitman. I can't say I support them in doing this. We're talking about one of their biggest franchises FFS, would it really hurt them to release it physical from the get-go?

Jasonater1983
28th Feb 2016, 09:36
Sadly I'll probably lose hype waiting for the disc. And I really want to play it. Your losing some customers like me :( I've played all your Hitman games. And loved them all. No disappointments. But we are to trust that you will give us a great game. Sorry but I've trusted other company before. Going in with blind trust. I want to know what I'm getting. Just to be able to download on console is stupid. And PSN will probably be hacked. Consoles have a little advantage buying disc. You can trade them in a get a little money back. I want to play the full game. Not a part of it and wait next month to play more. Then wait to play more the next month. I want to know what I'm getting. Hope you learn your lesson and make a full game next time. It may work out but your still going to lose some consumers like me.

Jasonater1983
28th Feb 2016, 09:47
Maybe I'm the only one that remembers not being able to get the PC Professional Version of Absolution on disc? I pre-ordered through Gamestop, but when they tried to change me to a digital copy and download it through Gamestop's service, I canceled and went to Steam instead. PC gamers have long accepted the idea of digital only copies. Its only a matter of time before the console world will have to do the same. Whether they jump on board or not remains to be seen.

Yeah ! But the thing with consoles is getting hacked or there services going down. I understand Pc download. Thats cool. But not console. Far Cry Primal just game out. Xbox had trouble for people downloading it. The thing people are all was forgetting. PCs are Pcs. Console is consoles. Leave it as that. No console should do it it all. Thats Pc's. Console will never compete with Pc. Level it alone.

Valenka
28th Feb 2016, 15:48
Sadly I'll probably lose hype waiting for the disc. And I really want to play it. Your losing some customers like me :( I've played all your Hitman games. And loved them all. No disappointments. But we are to trust that you will give us a great game. Sorry but I've trusted other company before. Going in with blind trust. I want to know what I'm getting. Just to be able to download on console is stupid.

No offense, but IO Interactive clearly do not care. They've already stated that they know their decision will frustrate some players, but they feel that it is the best course of action for the franchise. With that being said, I'm sure they'll make decent revenue even with a digital release. Why? For example, player reviews; whether it's good or bad, people will write reviews about Hitman and that may inspire or turn off hesitant customers. For argument's sake, let's say Hitman is the best installment in the franchise. IGN, Game Informer, Eurogamer, etc. will write reviews giving it praise and high scores. Gamers will be happy and pick up a digital copy, thus generating more revenue for IO Interactive. There will be people who will refuse to buy it until it is released physically, but the amount of people who purchase a digital copy may just as well outweigh the number of people waiting for a physical release.

I understand your sentiment; going in with blind faith is a great gamble. I mean, blind faith and a quarter will get you $0.25 in the end, so is it really worth it? That's determinant. We know what we're getting, but we don't know the overall quality of the content to justify its asking price.

And PSN will probably be hacked. Consoles have a little advantage buying disc. You can trade them in a get a little money back.

Your negative energy is terribly unnecessary. People want physical merchandise to actually have something to show for their purchase, and the ability to sell/trade-in the merchandise if and when they no longer want it. You're stuck with digital content forever.

I want to play the full game. Not a part of it and wait next month to play more. Then wait to play more the next month. I want to know what I'm getting. Hope you learn your lesson and make a full game next time. It may work out but your still going to lose some consumers like me.

Well, that's the point of episodic content. It's like a television show, in a sense. It worked well with games like Life is Strange, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, etc. and it's only a matter of time to see whether or not it works with Hitman as well. But what lesson is to be learnt here? The game hasn't even launched yet; for all we know, Hitman could be the best selling game in the entire franchise. You know what that will mean, right? IO Interactive will continue with the episodic release model.

Yeah ! But the thing with consoles is getting hacked or there services going down. I understand Pc download. Thats cool. But not console. Far Cry Primal just game out. Xbox had trouble for people downloading it. The thing people are all was forgetting. PCs are Pcs. Console is consoles. Leave it as that. No console should do it it all. Thats Pc's. Console will never compete with Pc. Level it alone.

Christ alive. Please, do not start with that PC Master Race garbage.

KManX89
3rd Mar 2016, 05:18
No offense, but IO Interactive clearly do not care. They've already stated that they know their decision will frustrate some players, but they feel that it is the best course of action for the franchise.

No offense, but if IOI/SE seriously think this is the best course of action, they're as blind as a bat. An AAA action game has no place or business being episodic, plain and simple. It's just a glorified excuse for them to push the game back (and the game's release was delayed because of this nonsense).

Furthermore, the physical release doesn't come out until late 2016, right around the time ROTTR finally hits PS4. So basically, disgruntled PS4 owners will have a decision to make. Convenient.

Valenka
3rd Mar 2016, 13:39
No offense, but if IOI/SE seriously think this is the best course of action, they're as blind as a bat. An AAA action game has no place or business being episodic, plain and simple. It's just a glorified excuse for them to push the game back (and the game's release was delayed because of this nonsense).

It's of no offense to me; I am not affected. Meanwhile, while that is nothing more than an opinion, I will admit that it is odd for a AAA game to be episodic. However, I wouldn't be so dramatic as to say that AAA action games have "no place or business being episodic." May I remind you that the developer can do whatever they damn well please. I would much rather have the entire game all together like anyone else would, but my curiosity is strong here with how the episodic method will feel with Hitman.

Furthermore, the physical release doesn't come out until late 2016, right around the time ROTTR finally hits PS4. So basically, disgruntled PS4 owners will have a decision to make. Convenient.

There's always a decision to be made. It's called life. It doesn't matter if Hitman and Tomb Raider launch on the same day. You either get both or you get one and get the other one at a later time. How on earth is that a valid complaint? :lol:

"I'm mad because I can't afford $120 for two games." I mean, boo-hoo! I can't afford an Aston Martin DB5. What am I going to do, demand it be cheaper just because I can't afford it? That's not how life works.