PDA

View Full Version : I'm OK With Square Changing The Game...

Yoshidude
24th Jun 2015, 03:06
So this may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not convinced that a line for line remake of FF7 is what we truly want. If that's what they end up doing, it's going to be a great game, and with some of the names I've seen attached to the project, I believe it's going to be great no matter how they choose to do it.

But the question is: do we really want the same game? I'd wager big money that most of the people who've been waiting for a remake, and genuinely consider FF7 to be one of the greatest games of all time, have played the original countless times. If the line "this guy are sick" brings a smile to your face, I'm talking about you. We know the secrets, the twists, the reveals, the stories highs and lows, every characters arc, the beginning, the end. Wouldn't it be nice to experience something that's actually new? Something that feels like FF7, plays like FF7, allows you to invest emotionally in all its characters and experience a rich lore back dropped by a compelling story, but be surprised again? To not know where your actions will take you?

If they do take this remake in a different direction, then I have a few hard rules they must follow for me to continue supporting them:

The game must take place during the same time period as the original. It must take place AFTER the events in Crisis Core, and BEFORE the events in Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. I would be perfectly fine with them combining Crisis Core and the OG in to one giant game, so long as the events in Crisis Core come first. Many people didn't get to play this game since it was on Handheld only.
They must at least include all original characters. I'm OK with them adding more if they feel that's necessary, but they can't take anyone out of the game.
It must stay a JRPG. I would prefer it continue to be turn-based, because as evidence shows, people are still hard for that ****, but FF13 has shown that real/turn based hybrid combat can work well.
Cloud has to cross dress. This is the one change they cannot make.

Squeenix, I'm putting my faith in you. From this day forward, I'm watching you closely. I will continue to buy your games so long as the remake gets mentioned from time to time. If E3 next year comes and goes without a single mention, you're on my **** list, and I will not purchase another one of your games until it's re-announced or released. You put yourself in to this position, now JUST DO IT! GET THE GAME DONE AND MAKE IT GOOD!

Yoshidude
24th Jun 2015, 03:26
Speak of the devil, I just read this article: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-7-ps4-remake-won-t-be-like-for-like-/1100-6428396/. This is pretty much what I'm talking about. I guess I'm all for whatever they have planned, as long as they follow my rules.

Kalkano
24th Jun 2015, 16:56
15 is not a "hybrid"; it's an action-RPG. If they make it an action-RPG, I'll pretend it doesn't exist. As long as it remains turn-based, and at least resembles the original battle system, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for everything else.

Yoshidude
24th Jun 2015, 16:59
15 is not a "hybrid"; it's an action-RPG. If they make it an action-RPG, I'll pretend it doesn't exist. As long as it remains turn-based, and at least resembles the original battle system, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for everything else.

I actually meant FF13, so that's my bad.

FantasyDreamKey
29th Jun 2015, 14:13
How about this for gameplay:
I was thinking maybe they can do a hybrid of action and turn based. How would that work? ...well... How do I explain this? You control one of the characters (let's called that character the leader) but you can switch to other characters at any time. The leader character you are controlling will be action based while the other two will be turn based. You can move about and attack using any of the buttons on the controller (something like Kingdom Hearts). And if your leader character gets KO, you automatically switch to the other character. You can control the other two characters using the right analog stick. When it is their turn, a menu will show up (just like in the original Final Fantasy 7) and you can select what they do using the right analog stick (pressing on the right analog stick will select that option). You can select what they do just like turn based while still controlling the leader character in action based gameplay.
...Sound complicated? In that case, let's just have the simple option to switch between action and turn based. That would be a lot easily.

I will be looking forward to more story, fun gameplay and more unexpected plot twists when they release this. I think maybe they will use some of the plots that they have to cut out due to time limit...or they might add new ones in.

And about the music; will we get the originals or the remixes? Or we can have both.

m0sley
9th Jul 2015, 15:40
FFVII was already using a hybrid between active and true turn based combat. If you only control one character at a time then I will not be buying the game.

I'd love improved graphics, scripts and some voice acting but IMO it should stay as true to the original game as humanly possible.

FantasyDreamKey
13th Jul 2015, 14:15
Cloud has to cross dress.

In that part of the game wouldn't it be fun if they add a bonus content here? I'm thinking another sidequest to get new outfits to get Cloud to dress up like Lightning from FF13.
I was playing Lightning Return and I got the bonus outfit where she is wearing Cloud's outfit and using the Buster Sword. Also, people on the internet had been telling me that Lightning looked like Cloud because she was based on him. That gave me this idea for Cloud to dress up like Lightning to sneak into that place. It can also come with new scenes for this outfit (funny scenes).

What do you all think of this idea?

Ashtabley
14th Jul 2015, 22:40
For all entertainment purposes it would be funny to see Cloud dressed as Yuna from FFX