PDA

View Full Version : Make XP for stuns and Kills the same

Torkegamer
22nd Jun 2015, 23:36
My personal gripe with HR was that a kill would give XP depending on certain factors. I would move that all kills/stuns give the same amount of XP no matter what, because if you want to do a guns blazing run you are only getting 10 xp per kill, but if you do a stun and stealth run you are getting significantly more due to bonuses. For a game that encourages you to "play your way", it should be careful not to give a level progression disadvantage. Getting rid of bonuses and making every stun or kill, no matter how impressive, 10 xp would be a smart move for the sake of overall balance in all playstyles to be cleaner.

Then all you would need to do is balance the numbers of how much xp it takes to level, then find a way for Pacificst players to gain XP at a faster rate then they usually would as well.

68_pie
23rd Jun 2015, 12:26
My personal gripe with HR was that a kill would give XP depending on certain factors. I would move that all kills/stuns give the same amount of XP no matter what, because if you want to do a guns blazing run you are only getting 10 xp per kill, but if you do a stun and stealth run you are getting significantly more due to bonuses. For a game that encourages you to "play your way", it should be careful not to give a level progression disadvantage. Getting rid of bonuses and making every stun or kill, no matter how impressive, 10 xp would be a smart move for the sake of overall balance in all playstyles to be cleaner.

Then all you would need to do is balance the numbers of how much xp it takes to level, then find a way for Pacificst players to gain XP at a faster rate then they usually would as well.

Give XP for objectives. There, solved the problem

Irate_Iguana
23rd Jun 2015, 16:53
Give XP for objectives. There, solved the problem

Yep. Ideally they'll remove XP for killing/stunning enemies. Have your objectives, side objectives and exploration give XP. This would remove any XP need to play a certain way. A side effect is that they can more easily balance the total number of XP in the game and thus how many augs one can unlock at the end. This should make sure we aren't able to unlock everything by the end of the game.

68_pie
24th Jun 2015, 12:30
Yep. Ideally they'll remove XP for killing/stunning enemies. Have your objectives, side objectives and exploration give XP. This would remove any XP need to play a certain way. A side effect is that they can more easily balance the total number of XP in the game and thus how many augs one can unlock at the end. This should make sure we aren't able to unlock everything by the end of the game.

They need to do a better job on the exploration XP as well.

Irate_Iguana
24th Jun 2015, 16:32
They need to do a better job on the exploration XP as well.

Not just on the XP reward for exploration. They should have more to explore.

Torkegamer
24th Jun 2015, 18:11

I would argue that what 68_pie said is the best way to go about it. Giving XP for KEY objectives, the objectives every player will accomplish by way of simply finishing a main mission or quest, is a guaranteed way that all players are on the same level at any point in the game regardless of playstyle. Giving XP for exploring would be nice, but exploring in a Dues Ex game is about what you find, whether that's resources or alternative paths, not the XP you get for doing so.

My only concern for what 68_pie said is that if there are really no other ways to get XP, then balance becomes a huge issue, both in terms of balancing difficulty for each playstyle, and in terms of giving appropriate amounts of XP. Because if some players are having a real big issue getting through the next segment of the game after they were just given some XP and they won't be able to get any more until they either A) finish the current mission or B) go do a sidequest. They may get frustrated with the fact that leveling up is a once every couple hours process.

Shralla
24th Jun 2015, 22:17
exploring in a Dues Ex game is about what you find, whether that's resources or alternative paths, not the XP you get for doing so.

It's about both. Even the first Deus Ex rewarded you XP for exploring. It was one of the few things it gave XP for other than mission objectives. Human Revolution just didn't have enough to explore for this to be a meaningful addition so we got XP tied to kills and takedowns, and boring 100 XP bonuses for crawling through a specific point in a vent from either direction.

Isumbarus
25th Jun 2015, 07:34
Just remove the XP for killing takedowns and hacking ,remove this status bar .If you won't do this then some modder will have to fix this.

68_pie
25th Jun 2015, 11:26
My only concern for what 68_pie said is that if there are really no other ways to get XP, then balance becomes a huge issue, both in terms of balancing difficulty for each playstyle, and in terms of giving appropriate amounts of XP. Because if some players are having a real big issue getting through the next segment of the game after they were just given some XP and they won't be able to get any more until they either A) finish the current mission or B) go do a sidequest. They may get frustrated with the fact that leveling up is a once every couple hours process.

No. It would make it much easier to balance the game.

It's about both. Even the first Deus Ex rewarded you XP for exploring. It was one of the few things it gave XP for other than mission objectives. Human Revolution just didn't have enough to explore for this to be a meaningful addition so we got XP tied to kills and takedowns, and boring 100 XP bonuses for crawling through a specific point in a vent from either direction.

This basically. You can have small XP exploration bonuses but only for things that are actually a challenge to find.

_PArker
27th Jun 2015, 05:21

Personally I think this is what made Deus Ex 1 so amazing. Lots of exploration