PDA

View Full Version : Typos/mistranslated CZ text in DEMD trailers

hujikol
17th Jun 2015, 11:27
Sup guys, after seeing all the trailers so far I got this trange urge to say this – some of the Czech text we've seen is ever so slightly wrong.

I figured this might be the best place to raise this, since who knows, maybe this will find its way into the game by some strange twist of fate! Although I do realize this isn't exactly a priority.

Watching the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Dawn Engine Tech Demo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-epev7cT30 - here's a couple of things:

0:10-0:30 – slightly off centre to the right, the sign appears to say 'SAMOOBSLUZE', which is the locative case of the word, however, a store sign would use the nominative case - 'SAMOOBSLUHA'. Imagine if a sign said 'in the Dragon Pub' instead of 'Dragon Pub'
– additonally, a 'samoobsluha' is quite literally a 'self-serving store' (samo = self, obsluha = service), something that doesn't seem to apply to what appears to be a tiny stand with a counter. I'd suggest a more appropriate translation but that would depend on what the store sells, such as 'potraviny' for a grocery store.
– slightly below this sign, another one says '-50% sleva na všechno', now this is quite nitpicky but the correct usage would be either '50% sleva na všechno' ('a fifty percent discount on everything') or '-50 % na všechno' ('50 % off everything'), since a discount ('sleva') ought to be a positive number.
– in the first two seconds of the shot (and in later shots), what looks like the words "ŠTĚDRÝ MARKET" appears in the upper right corner of the screen, and while this is not incorrect, I wonder whether the connotations of the word were taken into account. The word 'štědrý' means generous, bountiful, 'štědrost', the noun from which it is derived, would be largesse (both being somewhat uncommon, slightly more formal register words). "Štědrý večer" is what the Czechs call Christmas Eve, and it just doesn't feel particularly compatible with the English word 'market' (unless the word 'market' is also supposed to be Czech, in which case 'trh', 'tržiště' or 'tržnice' would be all more appropriate), although I agree this is quite subjective.
– also the cucumbers are huge!

0:43 – the registration plate on the left says "(Česká) tisková kancelář", which is the Czech News Agency, a, well, an actual press agency in fact. Having it on a registration plate is just peculiar to say the least. Czech plates don't have anything below the white part or just have the car dealership info displayed there.

1:04 – English labels in a Czech grocery store? But yeah I do realize these are minor assets.
– note the 'sleva' and 'štědrý' signs can be seen again, see above.

1:29 – sign on the far right says 'PLATˇTE TADY' but the funny accent (a caron, 'háček' in Czech) ought to be above the first T, not between them, like this: 'PLAŤTE TADY'.
– the very last entry on the blackboard menu to the left says 'pomfrity' which could indeed be 'fries' (from 'pommes frites') but it is quite dated, regional and nowhere near as common as the absolutely ubiquitous word for fries, 'hranolky'.
– speaking of the menu, 'klobása, salám, uzenka' are all perfectly good Czech words, however, 'salám' isn't something I'd expect to order at a dodgy looking street food vendor. A 'salám' in Czech is a generic word for salami, charcuterie, bologna, that kind of stuff, something you cut into slices and eat with bread or as cold cuts. Not something you'd buy at a fast food joint. Also 'uzenka' is pretty much just another word for 'klobása', specifically a smoked sausage, and I would expect either 'párek', a wiener, or 'sekaná', meat loaf, there instead of 'salám' and two sausages!

1:44 – the word 'SKADOVÁNÍ' doesn't exist in the Czech language, but it looks like 'SKLADOVÁNÍ' was meant in an attempt to say something along the lines of 'storage'. However, if that is indeed the case, the word would simply be 'SKLAD' or 'SKLADIŠTĚ' – 'skladován*' is the activity of storing or the process of being stored in a 'sklad', a warehouse, storeroom, in storage etc.
– fancy hair!

Finally, this is from an earlier trailer or whatever, but apparently there's a location called 'Utulek Station' in the game. Now I obviously don't know what the designers' intent is, but when you say 'útulek' in Czech, you basically mean an animal shelter despite other possible meanings listed in a dictionary. Now maybe this is on purpose, but if instead the intent was to evoke feelings of a retreat, a sanctuary, a haven, a safe place, then there are better words for that like 'útočiště' or 'úkryt' or a whole bunch of other ones which might but stray from the literal meaning of a safe sanctuary, but would convey the idea much better.

While some of the above can be somewhat subjective (i.e. the sausages or the market name), rest are actual albeit tiny mistakes and a few minutes with a native speaker, a dictionary, or heck just google will easily corroborate in case you are wary of strangers on the internet.

hujikol
20th Jun 2015, 14:18
Watching the new trailer, there are more comments I'd like to make. Again, I don't really think this will change anything as it's far too late and a minor issue at best, but hey, maybe, just maybe... so I feel it should be said, you know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-iX2bxOjI

– the arrivals screen at 4:25 and thereabouts says 'RUZIKA' instead of 'RUZICKA' station in the bottom scrolling bar. The former isn't a Czech word, the latter is, and more importantly it's the name that has been used so far.

– at 2:52, the bad cop says 'připravte si pap*ry', however, 'pap*ry' seems to be a rather poor attempt at translating 'papers' – which the word admittedly does mean, but not when used in the sense of 'papers, please'. In Czech, 'pap*ry' is a colloquial for a driver's license (or a similar kind of a license, a certificate or a permit possibly), but not for personal ID or a passport. A cop asking for your papers would be asking for 'doklady'.

– furthermore, 'připravte si' means 'prepare' or 'ready' or 'have at hand', and is not something you'd say when asking for someone's papers right now. It is something you might hear when waiting in line, or see on a sign in front of an office, you get the idea. In English, the cop wouldn't say 'prepare your papers' when asking for them (which is what he's doing in Czech right now), he'd say 'papers, please', or 'show me your papers' or 'let's see some ID'. So something along the lines of 'doklady pros*m' nebo 'ukažte mi doklady', ID please or show me your papers, respectively, would make more sense in Czech.

– in addition to 'pap*ry', the whole sentence the cop says to Jensen, 'připravte si pap*ry na inspekci' reeks of a poor, word for word translation. Someone took the English original without realizing that neither 'pap*ry' nor 'inspekci' are the correct words to use here. 'Kontrola' is the correct word to use for an official checking your documents or a similar scenario (e.g. 'silničn* kontrola' for a traffic stop), 'Kontrola dokladů', 'ukažte mi doklady' would convey the same meaning while actually being correct Czech.

– at 3:16, he barks 'nezastavuj se!', when (I assume) the original was supposed to say 'move along!' or 'keep moving!', in which case 'pokračujte!' (lit. 'continue!') would be correct. 'Nezastavujte' is said to someone who's already moving, not to someone who has stopped (at your request, no less). This brings us to...

– the tone of the cop's voice in Czech is rather off and his speech disjointed. The voice actor (Bohdan Tuma, isn't it?) is trying too hard, his weird and ridiculously tryhard growl is bad enough. But alright, baddies are baddies. However, the problem is he barks one sentence, barks another, and then another and it's all disjointed and doesn't follow. He doesn't come across as hostile, but as bipolar. This isn't a bad cop being slightly threatening, this is a cop spouting off random orders of varied hostility. I'm not sure how to descripe it in typing, but a native speaker will immediately recognize this. Like a bunch of unrelated clips cut and pasted together – wwhich, admittedly, voiceovers in a video game sort of are, but toning them all down would make for a smoother sounding experience, right now those clips are all aggressive exclamations.

– this disjointed tone is also present at 4:11, when the cop growls 'pap*ry, hned!' which is 'papers, now!', and besides the 'pap*ry' mistake, the tone of the utterance is just rushed, overly aggressive (as opposed to just hostile), the way he says it almost suggests him ambushing you at gunpoint, not "just" a fascist cop on a power trip.

– finally, at the end of this short scene, the cop goes 'okay, move along!' in a completely different voice and accent. The former I understand, but the latter is just bewildering. It is extremely jarring to hear the cops talk in good Czech and then switch to some sort of a faux Russian accent in English.

– oh and at 3:20 one of the lightboards says 'káva pilulka', which is a funny and cute and quaint concept – but also a word for word translation of 'coffee pill'. However, the word order/forms make it look like 'a coffee brand named Pilulka' rather than 'a coffee pill' as in 'coffee in pill form'. This might actually be intentional, and it's not a huge deal if it isn't, as 'káva pilulka' is quite endearing on its own really.

besyuziki
20th Jun 2015, 15:52
Prague is a gorgeous city, and the least they could do is fill it with authentic Czech lines and text, instead of doing a half-assed translation.

I appreciate your effort and your keen eye to detail. If you haven't already, make sure to show this thread to the big guy (http://twitter.com/jeffachoo). Let's see if any of these will make it to the final game.

hujikol
27th Jul 2015, 15:52
Reading a recent preview article, I noticed another mistake in the market screenshots (of the scene at roughly 0:12 of the video). A sign above the electronics store says "kupovat a prodávat", which when translated literally means "to buy and to sell", as in using the infinitive forms of the verbs, and as such does not make sense in Czech (nor would it make much sense in English). For a sign simply saying they both sell electronic goods as well as buy them, it would be "výkup i prodej" or possibly "nákup" instead of výkup (and "a" instead of "i", both conjunctions being equivalent here).

hujikol
8th Jun 2016, 20:12
Another video – another dose of weird Czech. This time it's the City Hub trailer – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5acI46z9Y4.

Now I know I'm obviously not going to get anything changed by complaining here, and yes I do realize it's a completely minuscule issue that 99.23% of players won't notice. That doesn't mean it needs to be badly done/wrong/incorrect etc., does it?

First off, why do presumably Czech people speak with that cringeworthy faux-Russian-accented English? A 'Czenglish' accent is noticeably different.

Second, even the Czech pronunciation of the """"Czech"""" policeman is horrendous. Doooklaaahddduuhh. You have a perfectly fine sounding Czech woman on the PA system (except the message is cut in half and makes no sense), why have an obvious non-native speaker for this speaking part?

Third, assuming the character of Vaclav Koller is Czech, the name 'Václav' is pronounced 'Vatslaf', not 'Vaklaf'.

And finally fourth, this pic – http://i.imgur.com/MyCs4kO.jpg – shows a bunch of CZ bits bordering on the bizarre.

'Opera večer' is a word for word translation of 'opera night' as in the word for opera and the word for night (and not a phrase meaning 'a night when they play the opera'), but it's not Czech. 'Opern* večer' would be the correct translation. Or simply 'opera'.

'Svobody Beer' seemingly combines declension with an English word. Which just doesn't work. Presumably it's supposed to evoke 'beer of freedom (svoboda = freedom)', but in that case it ought to be 'Beer Svobody', because right now it reads like 'of freedom, this beer' might look in English. But again, that's just stupid sounding in Czech. Simply 'Svoboda Beer' ('a beer brand called Svoboda/Freedom') would be an improvement. Or how about the neato Czech word 'pivo' for 'beer', as in Pivo Svoboda, huh! How about that?

Most importantly, THE STREET SIGNS. What the HELL is going ON?! EVERY SINGLE ONE of the red street signs says OBSTACLE, not 'street'! Because that's what 'překážka' means! I mean that's just insane.

Assuming someone just dun goofed and thought it means 'street' – first, just google 'prague street signs'. There's no 'Xyz street' bit on them. It's just 'nameofstreet'. 'Fleet Street' would be rendered simply 'Fleet' on Prague street signs.

Furthermore, even the street names – the ones in the tiny font above the word OBSTACLE – are way weird.

'Jiskra stvořitel' – a word for word translation of 'spark' and 'creator'. As in not 'the spark of the creator', but one word, then the other. It makes zero sense in Czech. If this is supposed to be a street name with connotations of the divine creation, it would say something like 'Bož* jiskry' or 'U Bož* jiskry', using the word for God rather than Creator which would be quite unusual. Reminder - no překážka!

'U Zastávka'. Well 'U Something' is actually a very common street name in Czech, meaning 'At Something' (or even someone, as in 'Peter's [Pub]' would be '[Hospoda] U Petra'). However, the second word needs to be declined – 'U Zastávky', meaning '[A street] At The [Bus/Tram/Train...] Stop'.

'I Zastávka'... no idea what the intention here was. 'I' in Czech means 'and' or 'even' or 'also' or 'both x and y' (as in 'Petr i Pavel' = 'both P & P'). Declension as above. And, again, no překážka, I mean what the hell...

Majel007
9th Jun 2016, 11:20
yep,
I just saw all the video demo of the game Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and I must say: I am horrified the Czech names. Totally wrong. Why do not you tell Czech community to help? It would be mutually beneficial. :)

example
http://cestinybeta.rpgcitadela.cz, this Czech community make the Czech language for your game http://cestinybeta.rpgcitadela.cz/portfolio/deus-ex-human-revolution-directors-cut/ . Why do not you ask for help?

double-sided trade. They help with Czech and you give them the texts from the game so that they can make a Czech location.

Rednegniw
10th Jun 2016, 10:08
Yes, as a Czech person I second this as well. Please fix this Eidos, would suggest off-sourcing a Czech person to correct the mistakes, it very much helps with the authenticity. :)

Otherwise, love the new trailer.

hujikol
19th Jul 2016, 13:51
Well to be honest I never expected my feedback to be noticed, as in changed in the game assets, so I am not particularly dismayed to see the exact same problems I had reported a year ago in the recent Golem City playthrough vids.

However, at this point I'd just like to add the following – fire whomever you hired for the CZE translation & proofreading (if any...) job. It's not even funny anymore.

Again, I understand this stuff not being fixed because ultimately in the grand scheme of things it's something only a couple hundred or thousand players will notice. Just a drop in the bucket.

What I don't understand is someone getting paid for this. It's shoddy. It's not good. If someone handed this to me I'd not pay for it (let alone use it) – not if I were a big studio/publisher anyway!

http://i.imgur.com/tGiQnd0.jpg

Starting with the simple stuff, bottom right: the caron (the ˇ accent) ought to be above the S, not the O. There is no O with a caron in the Czech language (I'm tempted to say in any language, actually). Above an S it makes it an Š so it has an "sh" sound rather than a "sss" one.

As a sidenote – even the "Czech" people in the vids pronounce Ruzicka wrong, it's not "roozikah" but "roozh-itch-kah". Then again they have Russian accents for some reasons so who cares at this point really.

Bottom left: Visoké napět*. Should be vys- This would get you in big trouble... in primary school. The Y/I distinction is one of the first Czech grammar rules kids learn. Seriously this is just so, so very unprofessional. I can sort of understand other weird & wrong stuff making it in – people not bothering with anything other than a machine translation, overlooking missing letters, translating words without context... but this is just phenomenal incompetence to be honest.

Middle left: vzbouřit se is the infinitive form of the verb, like "to rebel" or "to rise up". Can you imagine an English speaking rebellion writing "to rise up" instead of "rise up!" on the walls? Me neither. But the person responsible for this bit can. Use the imperative form of the verb.

Middle right: Presumably not a translation related issue – the descender lines (of g and y) are not shown. So it looks like "Aua d*lv" instead of "Aug d*ly".

Top: Oh boy. The big one. At this point (and judging by all the other weird stuff in this thread) I am pretty much convinced that the translation was not done by a native CZ speaker and/or someone proficient in the language.

"Provede se prohl*dku" is the wrong declension. It ought to be the nominative case, "prohl*dka".

"Zbraň střelná a střeliva", same thing. It is almost a bit of a non sequitur. It's a bit difficult to compare this to something in English but imagine if a sentence read "I saw of Peter and the dog's there" instead of "I saw Peter and a dog there". It's the wrong word forms, wrong cases, wrong word order. "Střelné zbraně a střelivo." is the correct form.

Incidentally there's a typo in the English version as well, fireamrs instead of -arms.

The next three are strangely okay.

The last line has a small but significant mistake: Instead of "report suspicious activity to security" it basically says "report any suspicious activity of the security (personnel)"! All because it says ochránce ("of the security guard") instead of ochrance ("to the security").

hujikol
25th Aug 2016, 17:42
Local gaming news sites have, sadly, confirmed loads of the above in their reviews. Even mentioning/showing a bunch of new ones I've missed, such as:

- "do not enter" being translated as "nezadávejte", meaning "do not input" as in "do not enter text (into e.g. a cell in a spreadsheed)"
- or "authorized personnel only" not being translated as a phrase meaning "only authorized personnel are allowed here" (which would be "nepovolaným vstup zakázán") but as three words in isolation, so the meaning is lost
- a newspaper headline being just literal nonsense "důvod k odkladu des zkušenosti nenapodobitelný", which would translate roughly as "reason for postponement des (probably a typo in "dnes", "today"?) experiences (plural of experience) (he is) inimitable"
- a "Warning!" label translated so that it says "to warn" or "to be warning" rather than... well... just "warning" as a noun, you know.
- nonsensical stickers saying crazy stuff roughly like "buy more (made of paper)" instead of "buy more paper" or "do not forget to check" (check what? does not say)...
- oh and my favorite has to be "soft drink" translated as "jemný nápoj"... indeed "soft" is "jemný", but as in fabric, voice, touch! So basically in Czech it says "silky" or "delicate drink" instead of, you know, a fizzy drink such as "nealkoholický", "limonáda", "sycený" or one of the other possibilities which WOULD MAKE SENSE IN CZECH.

One site said the credits don't even mention a localization company/voice actors/anyone who might have something to do with it, and have gone so far as to label it "an obvious Google Translate job". Which is rather jarring - the state of the localization, not the accusation - and frankly after seeing more of the translation job I do feel the same.

One thing did get cleared up tho! The "Překážka" is apparently a district name, not a mistake. Which does not really make sense in Czech (who names a city district "Obstacle"?) but at least it's better than the initial fears of someone somehow translating "street" as "obstacle". Does not save the CZ translation from being terrible though.

hujikol
26th Aug 2016, 12:46
I didn't expect the poor localization job to show itself somewhere other than in texts and voiceovers, then again perhaps I should have.

They even got the flag wrong.

It's upside down.

http://i.imgur.com/JdxVu6a.jpg

besyuziki
26th Aug 2016, 15:42
I just double backed to Svobody Beer's basement (one place I remember with the Czech flag) and that flag is correct. They probably missed that particular NPC you posted.

But the translation seems very sloppy for a game that prides itself with taking place in Czech Republic, that is for sure. :(

hujikol
31st Aug 2016, 15:35
Well, mystery of the incredibly awful Czech localization solved - in part, anyway. And it's even worse than I could have imagined. A local gaming site has interviewed the man responsible for parts of the Czech content in game.

First, the company running the translation of the game was a Polish outfit called QLOC, and they had mostly done an awful job to begin with (whether in-house or by outsourcing).

Second, which is perhaps even worse, when they were given corrected, proofread, amended content well in advance by a Czech person involved in the localization - they ignored it.

As in during the development process, months/years ago, not by a random dude on the internet but by a person working on the whole thing.

So anyway this QLOC outsourced parts of the Czech translation to a local company. Incidentally the one part which is not outright terrible. Which would be the Czech voiceovers for the Czech-speaking characters (as in those on the radio and with several lines, not those spouting oneliners in a terrible faux Russian accent). These were performed by actual Czech actors and voiceactors who had done a decent enough job, although apparently with some constraints (e.g. recording stuff without proper context for the script etc.). You might notice I have noted this in one of my previous posts, that sometimes a genuine bit of okay Czech language shines through. So far, so good, or good enough.

However, this is where things take a turn for the worse. He basically goes on to label the rest of the localization as a Google Translate job (as if the "quality" of the ingame texts was not suggestion enough!). He then goes on to say that he was contacted by QLOC to comment and advise on parts of the translation... and how he expressed his disbelief and bewilderment at what he saw.

Apparently someone working on the translation had produced a guide of sorts to Prague local/geographical terms... except it was an abomination with absolutely nonsensical names or outright wrong translation of basic terms/concepts used in the context of local names in a city. He also mentions Polish spelling or entire words being used instead of Czech. Or the people working on the translation proper ignoring basic Czech grammar/linguistic properties and an extremely bad job overall.

But it gets worse. He then says he had submitted changes, corrections and the like. He went into some detail about how he basically had to do tons of corrections, how he had sent dozens of comments in an attempt to salvage the Czech content he was given and turn it into something reasonable.

Now I have absolutely no reason not to believe the guy. He's been a localization manager for years now, and worked on a whole bunch of AAA for various publishers.

And then he says that most of his input was ignored. Which is easily evidenced by the atrocious state of the ingame Czech translation.

Like I said, everything basically fits into the story. This thread is filled with examples, some of which he had actually also mentioned, except at least now it's coming a guy who was involved and not just a disgruntled fan. I guess one could take some comfort in the fact that it wasn't a terrible translation job by Square Enix/Eidos Montreal themselves... just awful work done by a business partner of theirs work (like, honestly, I'd demand a refund or something) and a poor job at managing the translation project on their part.

I just double backed to Svobody Beer's basement (one place I remember with the Czech flag) and that flag is correct. They probably missed that particular NPC you posted.

But the translation seems very sloppy for a game that prides itself with taking place in Czech Republic, that is for sure. :(

They definitely missed more than this particular NPC. I mean even the screenshot shows another character with an inverted flag (on the right). And there's more ingame.

besyuziki
31st Aug 2016, 15:50
^ You're absolutely right. Every flag patch worn by NPC's is inverted, not just a few. I saw it just after my previous post.

hujikol
6th Oct 2016, 19:09
Local gaming site making fun/providing more examples of the shoddy (at best!) work: http://booom.tiscali.cz/kdyz-si-cizinci-mysli-ze-zvladnou-cestinu-aneb-faily-z-noveho-deus-ex-285147