PDA

View Full Version : The vast majority of people want the FF7 remake to be turn based. Listen to this SE.

KeepFF7TurnBased
16th Jun 2015, 04:58
We know how you are SE, don't screw it up by making it an ARPG. Since you finally decided to give the people what they want, keep the game turn based.

CloudStrifeFF
16th Jun 2015, 09:04
I am a huge fan of FF7 as well, couldn't believe the annoucement of last night but in all fairness, I wouldn't mind if they'd give you an option to choose from turn based battle or a new, modern battle style just like FF15. I do think FF7 could be fun with that battlesystem as well. Nonetheless, looking forward to it.

Vampmaster
16th Jun 2015, 11:13
I am a huge fan of FF7 as well, couldn't believe the annoucement of last night but in all fairness, I wouldn't mind if they'd give you an option to choose from turn based battle or a new, modern battle style just like FF15. I do think FF7 could be fun with that battlesystem as well. Nonetheless, looking forward to it.

Yeah, I agree with that. They should get the traditional turn based version working first and then if there's time, make an optional new advanced modern version.

Kalkano
16th Jun 2015, 21:41
turn based battle or a new, modern battle style just like FF15.

"modern battle style". Action is not more "modern" than turn-based.

Also, making this game an ARPG would be suicide. I'm pretty sure they'll do it anyway, though. I'll just have to pretend it doesn't exist, if they do. If it's an ARPG, WAAAAAAY more people will jump ship than if it remains turn-based. There's no way they can pull in enough new fans to make up for it. The same thing is true with 15, but it's even more pronounced with a pre-existing game like 7.

Kleyon
17th Jun 2015, 10:28
We know how you are SE, don't screw it up by making it an ARPG. Since you finally decided to give the people what they want, keep the game turn based.

I agree !!!! Please, please, please don't change it ! What fans are claiming since all that years is an accurate remake of FFVII, this game is a masterpiece and can't be changed even for a note ! Fan for the early hour, I still have my original FFVII 1997 PC Version (no more my original PS1 version and I regret it), and that's what we want with a brand new graphic engine !

I was really excited at E3 announce, but now I fear what FFVII Remake could be, I want it since so many years, but if it isn't the same game, for sure I'll don't buy it, but I'll be disgusted !

Rayziyun
17th Jun 2015, 18:48

I'm sure some people would prefer it to be turn-based. But "most people"? Have you done a survey?
Personally I prefer action combat systems. As long as it's not the static line standing, as seen in the PS1 era, I'll be fine with it. Turn based or not.

rainesohma
17th Jun 2015, 18:54
Seriously?! why would you even want to play a remake of VII if you didn't like the battle system of the original. I'd be heartbroken if it was changed to be like KH or XV, that's just not VII.

Rayziyun
17th Jun 2015, 19:01
While I prefer actions systems, I did like the battle system in the original Final Fantasy VII. Hell, I still do.
But it's dated. I don't think it belongs in a modern game. You can still have turnbased combat, but it would have to be different.
Take Ni no Kuni or Dragon Age: Inquisition, they both feature newer ways to do Turn Based combat.

rainesohma
17th Jun 2015, 19:08
I don't mind the retro charm of the original system, just do NOT want it going the way of XIII

Rayziyun
17th Jun 2015, 19:19
I agree Final Fantasy XIII did not have a good system. I'm pretty sure the developers realise that though, considering how they didn't keep it even in the XIII sequels.

holy_dna
17th Jun 2015, 19:39
This game is too epic to just have one battle system. We should have it according to the scene or setting.
I suggest that the very first battle (train jump off) to be turn based. This will complete the wish of so many people, a high-def classic fight.

The fight to the first Mako reactor should be a mix of action based timing (Asura/God of War) and if you miss the timing your HP gets depleted.
The first boss should be turn based, just to throw us off balance and make us remember the good old days.

After that we should be able to choose our preferred battle system for the rest of the story...
A FF-type 0 mix Crisis Core battle system for the Dungeon, City and Town battles..

A FF15 world map exploration and battle! This will totally make having an airship worthwhile!

If there is a need to, make the game 3 or 4 discs, I don't care! Just make it as epic as possible. Give us the most epic game ever please, don't make it one dimensional.
Make it multi-layered. Make it unpredictable. Our technology should allow 2 or more battle system to be in the game. I honesty do not care about the price.
I care about the replay value and ever lasting appeal.

Please don't just give us a CG experience. We want the battle system to be great!

Rayziyun
17th Jun 2015, 19:44
I think having a Dual battle system, where you could choose between Turn Based and Action Based would be cool. Technology definitely isn't an issue in that department. But actually developing both is costly, so I don't see it as likely to happen.

Kleyon
18th Jun 2015, 05:11
If some wishes changes on FFVII so they simply aren't fans ! REAL fans will be upset if Square-Enix do this.... They have choice : an accurate remake with a big success or a different game with an epic fail... who want to bet ???

Edit : Or yes, REAL fans want ONE change : a better translation !

Ti-7-4Raven
18th Jun 2015, 06:16
Indeed, keep it turn based. If you feel you have to change it a hybrid with the FFX system wouldn't be terrible.

H4rm0nY
18th Jun 2015, 10:09
This. Please Square, don't screw up the Battle system! We can live with some changes to the story, we can deal with you removing some of the classic, funny scenes from the original game, we can deal with removing Barret's and Cid's swearing... But do NOT screw the Battle system.
Battle system changes are the main reason Final Fantasy has declined over the years, and if you give us a FFVII where we can only control ONE character of the party, I swear I will literally never buy anything from you again.
If you want a few changes to the battle system, make it look like the one from FFX, or at max, FFX-2. That ones were still awesome, turn-based, already had beautifull 3d models and everyone enjoyed it!
Anything from FFXII onwards is a no-no.

H4rm0nY
18th Jun 2015, 10:13
This game is too epic to just have one battle system. We should have it according to the scene or setting.
I suggest that the very first battle (train jump off) to be turn based. This will complete the wish of so many people, a high-def classic fight.

The fight to the first Mako reactor should be a mix of action based timing (Asura/God of War) and if you miss the timing your HP gets depleted.
The first boss should be turn based, just to throw us off balance and make us remember the good old days.

After that we should be able to choose our preferred battle system for the rest of the story...
A FF-type 0 mix Crisis Core battle system for the Dungeon, City and Town battles..

A FF15 world map exploration and battle! This will totally make having an airship worthwhile!

If there is a need to, make the game 3 or 4 discs, I don't care! Just make it as epic as possible. Give us the most epic game ever please, don't make it one dimensional.
Make it multi-layered. Make it unpredictable. Our technology should allow 2 or more battle system to be in the game. I honesty do not care about the price.
I care about the replay value and ever lasting appeal.

Please don't just give us a CG experience. We want the battle system to be great!

The point is not that it "allows" 2 or more battle systems or not... Of course it does. Heck, it allows to 4 battle systems if needed.
The point is, doing that would require a LOT of money, and a LOT of time. If Square were to actually implement 2 battle systems, the game wouldn't be out before...2020.

Rayziyun
18th Jun 2015, 12:54
If some wishes changes on FFVII so they simply aren't fans ! REAL fans will be upset if Square-Enix do this.... They have choice : an accurate remake with a big success or a different game with an epic fail... who want to bet ???

Edit : Or yes, REAL fans want ONE change : a better translation !
If REAL fans want no changes then REAL fans want an exact copy. Then REAL fans already have the game they want, it came out in 1997 for the PS1 and was called Final Fantasy VII.

Meanwhile a "fake" fan like me would like the see the remake be more, to evolve rather than to stagnate.

This. Please Square, don't screw up the Battle system! We can leave with some changes to the story, we can deal with you removing some of the classic, funny scenes from the original game, we can deal with removing Barret's and Cid's swearing... But do NOT screw the Battle system. To me the story and events are way more important to be kept true to than the battle system. The story and the quirky situations is what makes Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII. Of course, the game needs a good system, otherwise it wouldn't be fun to play. But if the story can be changed and the gameplay is what's important there is a myriad of games out in the world that feature VERY similar gameplay that should suit you just fine.

Battle system changes are the main reason Final Fantasy has declined over the years, and if you give us a FFVII where we can only control ONE character of the party, I swear I will literally never buy anything from you again.
If you want a few changes to the battle system, make it look like the one from FFX, or at max, FFX-2. That ones were still awesome, turn-based, already had beautifull 3d models and everyone enjoyed it!
Anything from FFXII onwards is a no-no.
Bad combat system changes is ONE of the reasons Final Fantasy has declined over the years, poorer story and environments that weren't as fun to explore were also a few. Even that's not really fair to say as Final Fantasy XIII was really popular on release, and Final Fantasy XIV is crazy popular still.
Gameplay not changing is the reason why games like CoD and Assassin's Creed get so much flak.

H4rm0nY
18th Jun 2015, 13:30
To me the story and events are way more important to be kept true to than the battle system. The story and the quirky situations is what makes Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII. Of course, the game needs a good system, otherwise it wouldn't be fun to play. But if the story can be changed and the gameplay is what's important there is a myriad of games out in the world that feature VERY similar gameplay that should suit you just fine.

Since the original was released, we got Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus... A lot of story has been added to the original FFVII storyline, so it's understandable that SE makes some changes the story of the game. That's what I meant.
But, as for the gameplay, it does not need changes. If everyone is still re-playing FFVII after all these years, it means the gameplay is STILL good and entertaining. Why change?

Bad combat system changes is ONE of the reasons Final Fantasy has declined over the years, poorer story and environments that weren't as fun to explore were also a few. Even that's not really fair to say as Final Fantasy XIII was really popular on release, and Final Fantasy XIV is crazy popular still.
Gameplay not changing is the reason why games like CoD and Assassin's Creed get so much flak.

FFXIII was popular to the "new market". Something like 80% of the tyipcal FF Fans, did not like the game. And, correct me if i'm wrong, but this remake is the promise of SE to fulfill the wish of all the FF Fans. If they are keeping a promise of giving the fans what they want, why Change it? Makes no sense, imo.

Kleyon
18th Jun 2015, 14:04
If REAL fans want no changes then REAL fans want an exact copy. Then REAL fans already have the game they want, it came out in 1997 for the PS1 and was called Final Fantasy VII.

Meanwhile a "fake" fan like me would like the see the remake be more, to evolve rather than to stagnate.

You made me laugh... fans are asking for a remake... fans of the early hour, because they like this game and think it's one of the best of all time, who want to change it in that case ? No one, except business enterprise or guys who don't even know or like the original game... Fans only want the same game with beautiful graphics it deserve !

I don't want to fight anyway, it's useless, and like I said Square-Enix will do what they want, and we know what they are doing recently... So I am pretty sure they will change system combat and many other things, so we'll see if this will be a success or a fail... and we'll know what fans were wanted ! In my case, change it and I'll never buy it... (and I know I'm not the only one...)

EDIT : If remake version isn't accurate to original one so they'll never kill modscene that they dislike so much... Because modders are real fans that want to keep game as it is but only with good graphics...

Rayziyun
18th Jun 2015, 16:44
Since the original was released, we got Crisis Core, Before Crisis, Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus... A lot of story has been added to the original FFVII storyline, so it's understandable that SE makes some changes the story of the game. That's what I meant.
But, as for the gameplay, it does not need changes. If everyone is still re-playing FFVII after all these years, it means the gameplay is STILL good and entertaining. Why change?The thing about stor; If this is what you mean, then I misunderstood your original point.

About the gameplay: The reason people still enjoy the gameplay now is because the see it through nostalgia-googles.
Nostalgia-googles is not something everyone has however, and the people who never played Final Fantasy VII defiantly doesn't have them.
Square needs to take that into consideration, not doing that would be shooting themselves in the foot, and it would take away from the potential the remake has. The Remake is not ONLY for people who played the first Final Fantasy VII.

FFXIII was popular to the "new market". Something like 80% of the tyipcal FF Fans, did not like the game. And, correct me if i'm wrong, but this remake is the promise of SE to fulfill the wish of all the FF Fans. If they are keeping a promise of giving the fans what they want, why Change it? Makes no sense, imo.What fans want is not ONE tangible thing though. As evident by this very discussion, so the remake can never be what everyone wants.
As for the FFXIII, argument. Yeah many prior fans didn't like it, and many new ones did, but that doesn't really make it a decline though. Unless it's a decline in your personal satisfaction with a game.
Also just because they're new fans, does that make their opinions any less valid? Let me make one thing clear btw, I hate FFXIII.

You made me laugh... fans are asking for a remake... fans of the early hour, because they like this game and think it's one of the best of all time, who want to change it in that case ?
I want to change it. I love Final Fantasy VII, it's my favourite game. I know it can be more though, I know it can be better, and I want to see it be better.

No one, except business enterprise or guys who don't even know or like the original game... Fans only want the same game with beautiful graphics it deserve!Those evil evil business people are not the people who actually make the game. You also make a mistake in assuming everyone (every fan) wants the same thing as you. I respect that all you want is a graphics update, but I can guarantee you that that would be a mistake, from both a creative and business perspective.

I don't want to fight anyway, it's useless, and like I said Square-Enix will do what they want, and we know what they are doing recently... So I am pretty sure they will change system combat and many other things, so we'll see if this will be a success or a fail... and we'll know what fans were wanted ! In my case, change it and I'll never buy it... (and I know I'm not the only one...)Again not eveyone wants the same thing, that's true for fans too. I'll buy the remake no matter what, but the quality of the game will effect how happy I am with it.

EDIT : If remake version isn't accurate to original one so they'll never kill modscene that they dislike so much... Because modders are real fans that want to keep game as it is but only with good graphics...I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. The mod scene won't die either way. Even if the Remake is a magical smashing success that please everyone in the world, there will still be a mod scene for Final Fantasy VII. Hell, if the Remake is released on PC, there will be a mod scene for the remake too, no matter how good it is.

Again you use the phrase "real fans", just because someone's opinion doesn't align with yours, that doesn't make them less of a fan.

Selodaoc
19th Jun 2015, 23:00
We should make a petition to give SE.
Everywhere you look on different forums, everyone want turn based combat, or something very similiar to turn based combat (FF12 is not turn based combat)
Final Fantasy has gone downhill since the merger with Enix and FFX-2. Its time to go back to the roots!

Ashtabley
20th Jun 2015, 00:48
Lets face it, FFVII was awesome the way it was minus the graphics and the odd language translation errors. But yes I agree we should make a petition to keep the original battle system and maybe a few other things. If Square Enix want to profit from this venture they should listen to their loyal fan base.

dravenla
20th Jun 2015, 09:32
Rayziyun not sure when you are going to GET IT. The FF 7 remake is for the OLD FANS not for NEW FANS that like the crappy action based RPGs.
For those fans they have FF 15.

Fans of FF 7 want the turn based classic style they know and love. The fans of the action based FF game have 13 and 15. The fans that have been asking for a FF 7 remake for over 10 years dont want that gameplay, they want the classic style that has been missing from FF games since X-2

KeepFF7TurnBased
20th Jun 2015, 19:03
I'm sure some people would prefer it to be turn-based. But "most people"? Have you done a survey?
Personally I prefer action combat systems. As long as it's not the static line standing, as seen in the PS1 era, I'll be fine with it. Turn based or not.

I frequent another website, one of the most popular on the internet.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/72000813

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/72012804

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/72000353

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/72028283

I can guarantee you if you made this poll anywhere else, it would be the same result. It's clear what the vast majority of people want. They want it to be turn based/ATB.

We should make a petition to give SE.
Everywhere you look on different forums, everyone want turn based combat, or something very similiar to turn based combat (FF12 is not turn based combat)
Final Fantasy has gone downhill since the merger with Enix and FFX-2. Its time to go back to the roots!

Lets face it, FFVII was awesome the way it was minus the graphics and the odd language translation errors. But yes I agree we should make a petition to keep the original battle system and maybe a few other things. If Square Enix want to profit from this venture they should listen to their loyal fan base.

I already made a petition. Though I don't expect it to get anywhere near enough signatures, hopefully it's enough to get SE's attention.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/final-fantasy-vii-remake-turn-based

EternalAmbiguity
20th Jun 2015, 19:29
Rayziyun not sure when you are going to GET IT. The FF 7 remake is for the OLD FANS not for NEW FANS that like the crappy action based RPGs.
For those fans they have FF 15.

Fans of FF 7 want the turn based classic style they know and love. The fans of the action based FF game have 13 and 15. The fans that have been asking for a FF 7 remake for over 10 years dont want that gameplay, they want the classic style that has been missing from FF games since X-2

You're wrong. Nomura is directing the game. You know, the guy that makes the KH games. And he's been quoted as saying this is VII for a new generation. NOT only "for the old fans."

Kalkano
21st Jun 2015, 03:31
But if the story can be changed and the gameplay is what's important there is a myriad of games out in the world that feature VERY similar gameplay that should suit you just fine.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This should be targeted at YOU! EVERY AAA game is action/shooter. PICK ONE!

Kalkano
21st Jun 2015, 03:36
About the gameplay: The reason people still enjoy the gameplay now is because the see it through nostalgia-googles.

Get out of here with that ridiculous BS. People who recently played it for the first time LOVE THE GAMEPLAY! I replay it all the time, and it's STILL GREAT! I constantly play older turn-based games that I had NEVER PLAYED BEFORE, and I LOVE THEM!

You need to accept something right now. Turn-based is a genre that people like, just like action is. Your games are not "better" than mine. It's all preference.

GROW UP! AGGGGGHHHHHH!

dravenla
21st Jun 2015, 16:17
You're wrong. Nomura is directing the game. You know, the guy that makes the KH games. And he's been quoted as saying this is VII for a new generation. NOT only "for the old fans."

And that is why SE is crap these days. The old fans are the ones who have been asking for a FF7 remake for over ten years. Not the new fans that dont even know about or care about the game

At E3 all those people cheering from the FF7 remake announcement were old fans, not new fans. That is the audience of this game and if SE messes that up, it wont be pretty. If they show FF 15 gameplay with FF7 at a conference just watch them get booed off the stage like last year E3 when it wasnt the remake but the PC port.

We all saw how they screwed up with changing hitman and everyone hated that game. So now they claim they saw the error of their ways and are going back to the blood money style.

If they make FF 7 remake like FF 15 combat, their will be a huge backlash

MegaSmash
21st Jun 2015, 18:29
That's what i'd like them to do, i love the original, but it's honestly the only turn based rpg I've ever gotten anywhere in. I barley get anywhere in other final fantasy's' so the option to choose the battle system would be great. I'm more worried about those soldiers in the trailer, their design looks so generic and boring, it looks like two guys in splinter cell costumes. I just hope their not supposed too be Shinra troops or SOLDIER members. but that's just me being nit picky. But I'm just happy this is happening.

Kalkano
22nd Jun 2015, 01:37
I'm more worried about those soldiers in the trailer, their design looks so generic and boring, it looks like two guys in splinter cell costumes. I just hope their not supposed too be Shinra troops or SOLDIER members. but that's just me being nit picky. But I'm just happy this is happening.

I agree. That part looked more like it belonged in something like Metal Gear Solid. But, as long as they leave it turn-based, I'll be happy, and will buy it day 1. There are plenty of other things I might not like, but I'll deal with it.

If they go ARPG...I'll be pretending this doesn't exist.

Rayziyun
22nd Jun 2015, 17:30
@KeepFF7TurnBased Oh, cool. It's nice to see some actually numbers.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This should be targeted at YOU! EVERY AAA game is action/shooter. PICK ONE!
Action games usually have very distinct features to distinguish them. The same is not always true for RPGs.
But really, all that means is that it's true for some RPGs.
What does shooters have to do with anything here?

Get out of here with that ridiculous BS. People who recently played it for the first time LOVE THE GAMEPLAY!
Then you've interacted with different people than me. The people I've suggested FFVII who hadn't grown up with the game just couldn't get past combat.

I replay it all the time, and it's STILL GREAT!
This is in no shape way or form an argument that counters what I said about nostalgia-googles, if anything it could be interpreted to re-enforce my point.

I constantly play older turn-based games that I had NEVER PLAYED BEFORE, and I LOVE THEM!
Really? Whenever I play old RPGs now, that I didn't play while I was young, I find the combat system lacking. If the story is good I might stick with it but only if the story is good.

You need to accept something right now. Turn-based is a genre that people like, just like action is. Your games are not "better" than mine. It's all preference.I never said mine where better, that would be hypocritical. Especially considering I play turn-based games.
I said the that the system present in Final Fantasy VII could use updates in the remake, cause it's old and a product of its time. "Product of its time" doesn't mean bad (at least not in this case), it means it isn't what it could be with improved with better technology.
And one very important final point: I in no way meant that a game is bad because it's an Turn-Based RPG.

GROW UP! AGGGGGHHHHHH!
1. What does my age have to do with this?
2. My wanting to improve things and move forward is childish?
3. I don't actually have a third point, but I like my list to have at least 3 of them.

Kalkano
24th Jun 2015, 17:14
Action games usually have very distinct features to distinguish them. The same is not always true for RPGs.
But really, all that means is that it's true for some RPGs.

Complete BS. Grandia is just like Final Fantasy 7? The Last Remnant is just like Lost Odyssey? Legend of Dragoon is just like Persona? BULL!

Then you've interacted with different people than me. The people I've suggested FFVII who hadn't grown up with the game just couldn't get past combat.

The turn-based fans will jump ship if it's action. The action fans (at least, the ones who are actually interested in FF7) will play it regardless. And, a lot of them will finally realize that turn-based, done right, is actually FUN. This can completely revitalize turn-based, and bring it back to the mainstream!

I never said mine where better, that would be hypocritical. Especially considering I play turn-based games.
I said the that the system present in Final Fantasy VII could use updates in the remake, cause it's old and a product of its time. "Product of its time" doesn't mean bad (at least not in this case), it means it isn't what it could be with improved with better technology.
And one very important final point: I in no way meant that a game is bad because it's an Turn-Based RPG.

The only thing that was limited by the technology of the time were random battles. They can now remove those. The battle system itself had nothing to do with the available technology.

1. What does my age have to do with this?
2. My wanting to improve things and move forward is childish?
3. I don't actually have a third point, but I like my list to have at least 3 of them.

It's immature to suggest that people's taste in games is nothing more than "nostalgia", as if they like the games they like for "illegitimate" reasons and are simply "misguided".

Rayziyun
26th Jun 2015, 11:35
Complete BS. Grandia is just like Final Fantasy 7? The Last Remnant is just like Lost Odyssey? Legend of Dragoon is just like Persona? BULL!I said that SOME feature very similar combat. I'll admit that I overstated it, but you're guilty of the same with action games.

The turn-based fans will jump ship if it's action. The action fans (at least, the ones who are actually interested in FF7) will play it regardless. And, a lot of them will finally realize that turn-based, done right, is actually FUN. This can completely revitalize turn-based, and bring it back to the mainstream!
So you've just gone right ahead and ignored what I said about that the combat can be improved and still turnbased.

The only thing that was limited by the technology of the time were random battles. They can now remove those. The battle system itself had nothing to do with the available technology.Yes, yes it did.

It's immature to suggest that people's taste in games is nothing more than "nostalgia", as if they like the games they like for "illegitimate" reasons and are simply "misguided".It's like you intentionally trying to find ill-will in my comment here. Nostalgia is not a illegitimate or misguided reason to like anything. It does however hinge greatly on a personal experience that is often related to a certain point in time. That doesn't diminish you're ability to enjoy it (and it shouldn't) but it does diminish your ability to share it with people who doesn't have the same "era sensitive" experience as you.

pingorocho
26th Jun 2015, 19:49
Im agree that FF7 remake must be turn based game like the FFX, but more better, never going to be agree with a battle system like FF 12 or 13 or 15 because the magic of ff 7 is the battle sistem, to have the control of the action of all your team, i never liked to control one caracter and the others do whatever the want whithout my decision. Sorry for my english, its not my language.

Kalkano
26th Jun 2015, 22:27
I said that SOME feature very similar combat. I'll admit that I overstated it, but you're guilty of the same with action games.

You suggested that action games are much more diverse than turn-based games, which is BS.

So you've just gone right ahead and ignored what I said about that the combat can be improved and still turnbased.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the original combat. It could absolutely remain 100% intact, and still fit in PERFECTLY in a modern AAA game. All you'd have to do is remove random battles and change the way the battle is PRESENTED. Now, I'm not saying I'm against tweaking the battle system, I just don't want to see the battle system REPLACED, because it is 100% unnecessary.

Yes, yes it did.

Please explain. I played an action-RPG that was made in the 1970's. Action-RPGs have existed along turn-based RPGs EVER SINCE THEN. So, exactly how was Final Fantasy 7's battles system limited by the technology of the time?

It's like you intentionally trying to find ill-will in my comment here. Nostalgia is not a illegitimate or misguided reason to like anything. It does however hinge greatly on a personal experience that is often related to a certain point in time. That doesn't diminish you're ability to enjoy it (and it shouldn't) but it does diminish your ability to share it with people who doesn't have the same "era sensitive" experience as you.

You're saying that we only like it so much because of nostalgia. That's BS, and it's infuriating. Instead of simply saying, "I don't like it as much as others do", you feel the need to try to make your opinion superior.

ajboarder
26th Jun 2015, 23:19
As much a fan I was of turn-based combat, I think it's laughable to claim that without it, sales of this game will dramatically suffer. The remake could be a massive piece of cinematic crap with no real gameplay (i.e. The Order) and copies would still fly off the shelves. You all know it's true. Not to say that Square would ever be so inconsiderate as to go down that path... but they're well aware of how strong the FF7 nostalgia is.

I'm really hoping for dual systems that can be switched between with a click of the touchpad, a bit like in DA:I. I honestly don't think it would be as difficult to implement as some are claiming, given that the code for a good turn-based system rarely exceeds a single gig of space.

Kalkano
27th Jun 2015, 16:42
As much a fan I was of turn-based combat, I think it's laughable to claim that without it, sales of this game will dramatically suffer. The remake could be a massive piece of cinematic crap with no real gameplay (i.e. The Order) and copies would still fly off the shelves. You all know it's true. Not to say that Square would ever be so inconsiderate as to go down that path... but they're well aware of how strong the FF7 nostalgia is.

I'm really hoping for dual systems that can be switched between with a click of the touchpad, a bit like in DA:I. I honestly don't think it would be as difficult to implement as some are claiming, given that the code for a good turn-based system rarely exceeds a single gig of space.

Let me get this straight. You think that people are strongly attached to this game because of nostalgia, and because of that, they won't care how different the remake is...

ajboarder
27th Jun 2015, 22:53
Let me get this straight. You think that people are strongly attached to this game because of nostalgia, and because of that, they won't care how different the remake is...

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be SOME holdouts.... like the people who come on to the forums to whine incessantly about how they want things to be exactly the same, and how they won't buy the game if ANYTHING is different... but those people are the MINORITY, not the majority, as previously claimed. As long as it has updated graphics, the same amazing characters, and a story that is recognizable as the most popular FF story of all time, then this game is going to sell through the roof, regardless of what the end product's gameplay is like. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

FantasyDreamKey
29th Jun 2015, 13:55
I actually don't care as long as the gameplay is fun and that they keep this game true to the original. I like to see new contents and more unexpected plot twists that make us go "Whoa, what just happened?!" I want this remake to have the same feel as the original.

Kalkano
30th Jun 2015, 16:42
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there will be SOME holdouts.... like the people who come on to the forums to whine incessantly about how they want things to be exactly the same, and how they won't buy the game if ANYTHING is different... but those people are the MINORITY, not the majority, as previously claimed. As long as it has updated graphics, the same amazing characters, and a story that is recognizable as the most popular FF story of all time, then this game is going to sell through the roof, regardless of what the end product's gameplay is like. You're deluding yourself if you seriously think otherwise.

1) People who won't buy the game if ANYTHING changes != people who won't buy the game if it CHANGES GENRES!

2) If you think the majority of people interested in this game are the western gamers who laugh at the mere mention of Final Fantasy, and not the people who have been waiting about 10 years for AAA turn-based games to come back, and have been waiting for a game that plays like FF7 but looks like a modern AAA game, YOU are deluded.

riviera91
1st Jul 2015, 16:36
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD keep it turn-based!!! Please don't mess with a classic. I'm not a fan of the new FF ARPG style at all.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:14
Yes please do not mess with the material system except to add extra summons or w.e

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:15
Please keep the world map the material system, music etc

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:17
Do not make this into final fantasy 13 that game was horrible. like walking in a straight line linear no good you can add some things to the game but do not take away from what made it into a master piece. We do not want a MMORPG we want the original reworked to modern graphics with some side story that add on to the beauty that is final fantasy 7.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:24
The battle system how you find material how you level up material is one of the aspects that made FF7 a legendary game. I don't want a to see a action based battle system id play KH or DMC or FF15 14 12 11, and don't make it like 13 where you can only control one character either. FF13 is the worst FF in the entire series and you made 3 of them they were linear no world map it was just all around awful im surprised the company didn't collapse after its creation. I am not the only one who feels that way either it was so bad.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:31
type 0 ff13 all these modern battle system are awful seriously.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:34
that may be true but I think SE will lose all credibility and lose most if not all of their fan base. If they cannot remake the game right then do not do it at all. Don't mess how you level and find material how you equip it etc. Do not remake it if you cannot have a world map. there is a lot they need to keep to have a proper remake. Add more to the story I.E side quests that add depth to the characters. add more summons and magic more limit breaks. I am really worried they will drop the ball on this game and possible destroy their name in the process.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:49
Who cares what the kids these days want, games have got to easy they do not even use their brains anymore. Look at the FF4 remake how you get all secret paths displayed for you, they took away everything to make it easy for the kids these days. This game should be for the die hard fans that stood by Square soft IE SE we deserve a proper game after all this time please don't turn this game into trash to appease the masses, this one should be for us.

AngelicUltima
1st Jul 2015, 22:52
I pray this game is what it should be, but honestly when was the last time you even saw a world map. Where is the fun of finding materia on the ground think about getting the kuja summon in the city of the ancients. or breeding your choco to get knights of the round.

MouseCheeksNavidad
6th Jul 2015, 23:26
There's an old saying. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I suspect FF7's designers are more interested in what THEY think a modern FF7 should work like then customer appeal. Of course, this has long been an apparent practice by Square and has resulted in allot of junk with good graphics over the last decade.

The human brain is the same now as it was in 1997. The same things that worked in 1997 work today. The game of chess has been around for more then a thousand years and people are still playing it. What works for the human brain works for the human brain indefinitely. Graphics and size of games age but fun factor of game engines do not. The safest thing square can do is stick with the original game engine.

That said, it doesn't mean taking the form of an ARPG would necessarily be a bad idea. There are some tried and proven engines out there (many of which Square made) that can easily be applied to a FF7 remake to convert FF7's game engine to full; real time action without sacrificing anything but the ATB. Simply merging Crisis Core's "on the move" battle system with Star Ocean's real-time combat and "pause to cast spell" features (which sort of have their own ATB I guess) could easily make it work. But that is still risky and I doubt the people at Square are creative enough to blend the two in a way that'll work for the masses.

Bottom line, ARPG or not, Square needs to spend more time falling back on to tried and proven game features then constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. And if you need proof that tried and proven works time and again, just look at Call of Duty.

I am sure the first wave of FF7 sales will be massive. But if you mess up the game engine, you're game is going to crash and burn like all the rest of your failed unnecessary experiments. And if you tick off your old-school fans, you might even be facing an unofficial boycott by people who've given up on you. Be very careful about what you change and why.

mastermx
7th Jul 2015, 02:05
Haven't been on this forum for years. Logged in just to say that I am really excited for FF7 Remake. But also wanted to say that I won't buy it if it's not turn based. I am tired of all these action RPGs. I want my turn based ATB goodness back in my FF games. Take notes Square.

Cid_Steiner
7th Jul 2015, 23:28
Ok I will chime in on the most required parts of FF7 are very simple, CAMERA, we ask for the thirdperson, rearview, topdown view keep the original style please. WORLD MAP from the original. EXPLORATION and NON LINEAR GAMEPLAY area must, retention of the BOSSES Ruby Emerald Diamond and Ultima, a few new bosses, challenges, dungeons wouldn't hurt. Please feel free to add CHARACTER BACKSTORY as far back as you like... individual full stories. As for COMBAT the option of tackling an onscreen mega monster is fine, make more "Zoloms" (I enjoy killing that damn snake, and wish there were more like it) keep a RANDOM ENCOUNTER to mix it up a bit as to the ATB vs LIVE COMBAT it should be an option, lets hope for both. I would love to see it in the options CLASSIC or MODERN option in the gameplay, there should be that difference. Other than that lets all be good and buy our PS4 like we promised we would if they ever gave us this game.
"take the time to do it justice."
Gratefully,
Me

sp1721
16th Jul 2015, 02:44
I wouldn't mind if it wasn't turn based. Turn based can be a little boring sometimes. Besides, if you want the exact same game you should just go play the old version.

sp1721
16th Jul 2015, 02:45
....but I agree with you. It has to have the world map. and no linear final fantasy 7.
Ok I will chime in on the most required parts of FF7 are very simple, CAMERA, we ask for the thirdperson, rearview, topdown view keep the original style please. WORLD MAP from the original. EXPLORATION and NON LINEAR GAMEPLAY area must, retention of the BOSSES Ruby Emerald Diamond and Ultima, a few new bosses, challenges, dungeons wouldn't hurt. Please feel free to add CHARACTER BACKSTORY as far back as you like... individual full stories. As for COMBAT the option of tackling an onscreen mega monster is fine, make more "Zoloms" (I enjoy killing that damn snake, and wish there were more like it) keep a RANDOM ENCOUNTER to mix it up a bit as to the ATB vs LIVE COMBAT it should be an option, lets hope for both. I would love to see it in the options CLASSIC or MODERN option in the gameplay, there should be that difference. Other than that lets all be good and buy our PS4 like we promised we would if they ever gave us this game.
"take the time to do it justice."
Gratefully,
Me

Zimdawg
16th Jul 2015, 20:10
I really enjoy the people arguing over making the game an ARPG over turn based. The facts are very very simple. FFVII is absolutely beloved the way it is today. The millions of fans begging for the remake for ~18 years fell in love with the game for a reason, one of those being the way the battle system works. You spend way to much time of the game in the battle system to monkey around with it too much. If you do, you essential aren't remaking the game, your making a new/different game with a very similar story.

I also can't really comprehend how they would incorporate the amazing materia system into ARPG format. It just doesn't make sense. I think kids and others have way to much ADHD now and don't know how to enjoy a turned based game (this is obviously a biased statement and I'm sure someone will quote it and try to same something snippy/witty).

There are plenty things they can do to the battle system to make it feel more alive and make it better...
Make everyone moving around in the battle screen (almost like live fighting action while it waits for you to enter commands). Think of how RTS figures fight but more up close and epic looking until you choose an action. This is one direction Square never went, they went directly to the ARPG. In my opinion and according to how the company has done, it was a bad one.
Make everything more fluid when casting spells/summons/skills. Obviously updating the animations of the skills can be more involved as well.
If you want to incorporate something new in the battle system then look back at other successfully games and take a page from them. Think of Chrono Trigger... Maybe make new combination moves/limits that involve multiple characters.

All being said there's a few things that just make sense for what they're doing in the remake (not just battle system related). If you want an ARPG then play one of the new they games spew out constantly. Keep it turned based, just modify some things to make it feel newer and fun. Don't mess with materia, nothing has been as cool and customizable since. For the love of <Enter Deity Here> keep the random encounters and world map. Fix the translations! And most important, don't make Cloud feel/sound emo. Just look at Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars II-III, that didn't go very well now did it!

And just so I can throw a quip out there for all my turn-based fans... I challenge anyone to name a Squaresoft/Enix/Square-Enix game more popular than the turned based ones (i.e. FFVII, FFIII/FFVI, Chrono Trigger). You might be able to find one that made more money (inflation is a *****) but when it comes to sales #'s and popularity, turn-based takes the cake and made the JRPG what it is today!

Regnak1
17th Jul 2015, 04:03
Haven't been on this forum for years. Logged in just to say that I am really excited for FF7 Remake. But also wanted to say that I won't buy it if it's not turn based. I am tired of all these action RPGs. I want my turn based ATB goodness back in my FF games. Take notes Square.

I agree with this entirely - I am sick to death of "action" RPGs... mindless button mashing nonsense. Give me my ATB counter and limit breaks back!

sp1721
17th Jul 2015, 05:04
Kingdom hearts.

Also, I am ADHD and i take offense to your comment about how ADHD people can't handle turn based games. Maybe any other battle style is too hard for you, which is ok. However, turn based games are actually incredibly easy - annoyingly easy. Other battle systems have been very successful in other video games. crisis core had a battle system that was not turn based which utilized materia. It really would not be that bad if the new game was not turn based. And I stand by my earlier comment. If you want the exact same game then just play the the old version. I for one am hoping that it is not a complete clone of the playstation version. I would not spend $400 on a ps4 to purchase that. That would be boring and it would be a waste of time. Why would anybody play that?

I really enjoy the people arguing over making the game an ARPG over turn based. The facts are very very simple. FFVII is absolutely beloved the way it is today. The millions of fans begging for the remake for ~18 years fell in love with the game for a reason, one of those being the way the battle system works. You spend way to much time of the game in the battle system to monkey around with it too much. If you do, you essential aren't remaking the game, your making a new/different game with a very similar story.

I also can't really comprehend how they would incorporate the amazing materia system into ARPG format. It just doesn't make sense. I think kids and others have way to much ADHD now and don't know how to enjoy a turned based game (this is obviously a biased statement and I'm sure someone will quote it and try to same something snippy/witty).

There are plenty things they can do to the battle system to make it feel more alive and make it better...
Make everyone moving around in the battle screen (almost like live fighting action while it waits for you to enter commands). Think of how RTS figures fight but more up close and epic looking until you choose an action. This is one direction Square never went, they went directly to the ARPG. In my opinion and according to how the company has done, it was a bad one.
Make everything more fluid when casting spells/summons/skills. Obviously updating the animations of the skills can be more involved as well.
If you want to incorporate something new in the battle system then look back at other successfully games and take a page from them. Think of Chrono Trigger... Maybe make new combination moves/limits that involve multiple characters.

All being said there's a few things that just make sense for what they're doing in the remake (not just battle system related). If you want an ARPG then play one of the new they games spew out constantly. Keep it turned based, just modify some things to make it feel newer and fun. Don't mess with materia, nothing has been as cool and customizable since. For the love of <Enter Deity Here> keep the random encounters and world map. Fix the translations! And most important, don't make Cloud feel/sound emo. Just look at Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars II-III, that didn't go very well now did it!

And just so I can throw a quip out there for all my turn-based fans... I challenge anyone to name a Squaresoft/Enix/Square-Enix game more popular than the turned based ones (i.e. FFVII, FFIII/FFVI, Chrono Trigger). You might be able to find one that made more money (inflation is a *****) but when it comes to sales #'s and popularity, turn-based takes the cake and made the JRPG what it is today!

Ashtabley
24th Jul 2015, 14:20
In order for us to have complete control over our party members during battle, Square needs to keep far away from FFXIII and FFXV style combat for obvious reasons. Now PLEASE LISTEN I know they are aiming for realism in this remake, BUT the title is Final FANTASY. Which means realism can only go so far.

Tsuyukiko
30th Jul 2015, 16:26
As someone who grew up with it as her first and favorite game...

No. Absolutely not. The game is being updated, just like you all wanted. The best thing they could do would be to copycat Kingdom Hearts so we still have a menu to keep the materia system working exactly like it used to. With the level of graphics were going to get, leaving it the same would both look and feel pretty awful. To make things look more natural, it'd likely end up like Final Fantasy XIII, where you wander up to enemies for no reason then take pointless damage because you can't control your character. Honestly, if you want to play turn based Final Fantasy VII, just go play the original. If you want better graphics, the old PC version has fan-made textures for it. Old outdated combat won't let the remake succeed. You said you wanted a remake, not a reskin. Square Enix is delivering on that.

Also, no. Multiple combat systems won't work and I don't understand why people think it's even a possibility. I don't mean to tear the idea apart, but I'd just like to point out that you're pretty much programming a new game at that point. You need to write separate enemy AI. A separate way battles start. Re-implement the danger levels. Design and implement a separate battle menu and separate battle mechanics. The games difficulty would also be extremely different between the two systems as well. There is absolutely no way to put this in and not have it take away from the rest of the game. Even worse if you want to have it released in a reasonable amount of time.

If you don't like it, then fine, don't buy it. But considering how you're losing your minds over a very minor change, you'll likely break and buy it anyway because of nostalgia goggles. But hey, it's okay! I was like that too a few years ago. Seriously! Actually, last year I said that I didn't want a remake to happen because the combat would be different and the story would change because of DoC, CC, and BC. But then I played the original again, and it's just...Boring. So I changed my mind about the battle system... But I'm still not happy with the story.

It's better to criticize the things that you love, because if you don't, it won't get better. If you leave things to die, it will die. And speaking of the story! They confirmed that the story was changing. I'm assuming it's adding things from the other VII based games, but even then, that's pretty bad. Do you want Deepground to happen again? How about bootleg Sephiroth? I find this to be a much bigger problem.

Really though, I think the game's likely going to be more fun to play with the new system if they keep a menu, and it'll bring more people into the game which is always good. Personally, I'm happy about it. Let's just leave it and let it happen, alright? Throw out some legitimate advice for Square instead of complaining, so they can make the game better than the original. Which is something turn based can't do.

But I dunno, I guess that's just what I think about it.

Cid_Steiner
31st Jul 2015, 04:00
Kingdom Hearts 3 is currently nearing completion, your addiction will be satiated soon.

Final Fantasy VII remaining turn based at least in option, is the requirement of more than fifty percent of current fan base.
Defeating Emerald, Ruby, Ultima, Diamond, Turquoise, Aquamarine, the experience must be familiar, and attainable for fans of both.

it is more than possible to implement an option to mediate active or turn battle.

i believe that the Final Fantasy VII team has an immersive experience on the horizon.
their effort needs to be more than Kingdom Hearts II Sora Vs Sephiroth!

SquareEnix will always provide new experiences for their fans.
it is a matter of distinction that makes for the greatest of epic experiences.

Trollingly,
The Foul Mouthed Maniac

Tsuyukiko
31st Jul 2015, 05:38
Kingdom Hearts 3 is currently nearing completion, your addiction will be satiated soon.

Final Fantasy VII remaining turn based at least in option, is the requirement of more than fifty percent of current fan base.
Defeating Emerald, Ruby, Ultima, Diamond, Turquoise, Aquamarine, the experience must be familiar, and attainable for fans of both.

it is more than possible to implement an option to mediate active or turn battle.

i believe that the Final Fantasy VII team has an immersive experience on the horizon.
their effort needs to be more than Kingdom Hearts II Sora Vs Sephiroth!

SquareEnix will always provide new experiences for their fans.
it is a matter of distinction that makes for the greatest of epic experiences.

Trollingly,
The Foul Mouthed Maniac

Actually, I don't even like Kingdom Hearts, haha~ I played 2 once, then never touched any of them again. I'm just thinking as to what's best for the game. It's already been done in Crisis Core, but the problem was that there was little organization to it, which really ruined the entire thing for me. Tiny PSP screen not helping. Kingdom Hearts already has a Final Fantasy menu, so if it's going to change, which it's already been confirmed it is, that would be the best route to go.

I suppose multiple systems is technically possible, but it's insanely expensive, so the chances are next to nil. But like I said, the game would suffer for it. More money would go to that instead of working harder on the rest of it. Not only that, it would fill the disk for something so little, so say goodbye to any big open worlds and new content. Multiple disks can exist, but it's... I can't really get behind selling the same game twice. Sold together or not, games are already $60+. If they're going to have to print more disks, let it be for legitimate content instead.

I know how much everyone wants turn based, I get it. Don't fix what's not broken, yadda yadda. But the materia system and the story made Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VII. If you remove that, that's when it's not VII anymore, it's any other Final Fantasy before XIV, minus XI. The name Final Fantasy is linked to the battle system. But it came out in 1987. The system is 27 years old. It sort of is broken at that age. If it's active without a menu and materia doesn't resemble what it used to be, then complain. If it's another shooter, then complain. Right now, it's bringing itself into 2017/18/whenever, and that's not a bad thing.

You're right though, it dang well better be done better than Sora vs Sephiroth. I think more complex combat could fix that nicely though.

Cid_Steiner
31st Jul 2015, 07:39
i agree with you too!
however i will not conceed to a Kingdom Hearts influenced Final Fantasy VII

im going to list all the Square and Enix Titles i have completed, that should show you the dedication of the turn based fan!

ready?

Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Legend II, Final Fantasy Legend III, Final Fantasy Adventure,
i understand they are Saga 1,2,3 and a Mana title
Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XIV.
Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross,
Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and many of their unique titles as well.

I was fortunate enough to own and experience these titles on a major console,
that is what made these two companies in this era.

Gratefully,
The Square Enix troll Cid Steiner

Tsuyukiko
31st Jul 2015, 10:28
i agree with you too!
however i will not conceed to a Kingdom Hearts influenced Final Fantasy VII

im going to list all the Square and Enix Titles i have completed, that should show you the dedication of the turn based fan!

ready?

Final Fantasy Legend, Final Fantasy Legend II, Final Fantasy Legend III, Final Fantasy Adventure,
i understand they are Saga 1,2,3 and a Mana title
Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XIV.
Secret of Mana, Sword of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross,
Dragon Quest I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and many of their unique titles as well.

I was fortunate enough to own and experience these titles on a major console,
that is what made these two companies in this era.

Gratefully,
The Square Enix troll Cid Steiner

Oh, I'm not saying you're not dedicated! You're easily more dedicated to the series than I am, definitely. But I hold VII above all else. I think my personal story with it is irrelevant, but try to take my word on it when I say it's extremely close to my heart. But even though it's so important to me, I still think it'd be better to let it change in a good way, rather than keeping it the same old thing. As I said in the other thread, even without them saying so, Square Enix is trying to make Final Fantasy for other people as well. While I don't always agree with their attempts, I think the remake will do alright so long as it stays menu based. Materia can work exactly the same, strategy can still be implemented, and I think it'll be much more immersive. But I guess that's just what I think.

yunita-in-rags
31st Jul 2015, 12:56
I want turn-based.

brian676
31st Jul 2015, 14:07
What made FF7 the best in the series was that it combined these three things.

1) Turn-Based
2) Good Story
3) Open World Map (Not Linear) gameplay

Now we just need AAA money for an updated game that doesn't stray from those three.

My fear with this remake is that it will meet one or two of those but not all three.

Tsuyukiko
31st Jul 2015, 15:32
What made FF7 the best in the series was that it combined these three things.

1) Turn-Based
2) Good Story
3) Open World Map (Not Linear) gameplay

Now we just need AAA money for an updated game that doesn't stray from those three.

My fear with this remake is that it will meet one or two of those but not all three.

Mm... Fairly sure most of them are the same, weren't they? You have a world map, but you still have to had done this first or that first to get to most places. Or at least until you get an airship or something. Either way, VII was definitely like that, and proof exists. Speedrunners have a way to skip the Kalm flashback, but if they do, the game won't be able to progress. I don't think it's as open as you think it is. And Final Fantasy VI had a good story too from what I recall? So the only real difference between the games was the materia system and a different story.

By the way:

I can’t get go into details, but this is not a simple remake. Let’s say for argument’s sake that we only pretty up the graphics for current gen hardware, I don’t think that would surpass the original version.

The original version is a game that came out in 1997, and if you look at it today, you can feel how dated the graphics and the game system are.

We haven’t shown any gameplay yet, but since we’re updating them quite a bit, please look forward to that.

So if you are going to do a full remake, you have to take a different approach and make something that suits the times.

The remake has already been in development for a while (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-17-it-seems-like-final-fantasy-7s-remake-wont-lose-so-much-of-the-crazy) and it's already been confirmed that it's not being directed at old players only. They're trying to surpass the original and draw in new players, while keeping the charm of the original game. Let's help them make the game turn out good instead of trying to push something that they've made clear will not be happening. If you want the old one looking pretty, go play the old one and mod it (http://kotaku.com/how-to-make-final-fantasy-vii-look-like-an-hd-remaster-715805917).

Sorry to crush your dreams, but I mean...Did you really not see this coming?

EDIT:
I think I came off as a bit more aggressive than I intended. I've been having anxiety about it since I posted, so I thought I'd edit and explain myself. Please allow me to try and rephrase what I said.

Instead of demanding something with little to no thought about what Square Enix is thinking or what it could actually mean for the game, let's try and give reasons as to why they should scrap what they already have done and change it. We can debate about it and see what happens. Let's play with pros and cons, shall we? I'm on the supporting side for something active with a menu, clearly.

Pros:
The materia system can stay exactly the same.
Square probably already has something similar planned, so it's less work for them.
It'll update the game to be more modern, and bring more people in.
>Meaning more money for Square to make better games with.
Plenty more immersive.
>No screen change, menu taking half of the screen, standing staring at eachother, etc.
It won't be boring for the people who have played the original 12 times.
This can let the game attempt to surpass the original, like Square wants.
>The system would be more random, allowing better replayability.
>Still strategic, as there's little strategy that wasn't the materia system or holding limits. Guard Scorpion doesn't count.
>>Both of those are almost guaranteed to be put in.
>>It can be even more strategic if done correctly. Difficulty can increase as well.
You're not paying $60 for a reskin.
>$460 if you don't have a PS4, which is probably likely for most people.
>$510 if you're in Canada.

Cons:
It's not the exact same as the original. (God forbid)
Some fights might play out weird or have to be changed slightly.
>As I've said probably 30 times by now, Emerald WEAPON being underwater.
Likely unable to control your other party members.
>They might not use materia like you want them to.
May be too similar to other games that already exist.

If Square Enix even does see any of these, throwing out loads of thoughtless demands will make the people who are actually legitimately concerned about the game get ignored along with it, whether it's for turn based or against it. It definitely won't be that Square isn't listening this time around, it'll be that there's too much trash out there for them to go through it all. If you want them to make it turn based, tell them why it'd be better than making it active. And it better be a darn good reason. "It's not the same" isn't a good enough reason to scrap the hundreds of dollars they've spent already. They're not just targeting us anymore. They want new players as well.

And since when is a "good" amount of the english speaking audience "the vast majority"? Good being in quotes as most of these posts don't explain themselves.

xXSkeithXx
2nd Aug 2015, 13:09
how about this
"USING" FFXII giant map roaming system BUT uses VII real world map in 3rd which you can explore like in XII where it takes hours to get to one place (WITH AIRSHIP).
BUT they should put FFVII or FFVIII Limit Breaks (specially like Zell's Limit Break in VIII) combined with REAL TIME switching character option like in X while fighting or just roaming. PLUS taking advantage of Materia System and Skills/Technique System to give you more advantage in the game. and when you summon you can also command the GFs/Aeons/Eidolons/Espers/Summons what to do or just let them do their thing while you do your thing. also add secret bosses and secret items. in short
a mix of FFVII (Overall), FFVIII (Limits Breaks), FFX (Flexibility in switching characters and stats), FFXII and XV (World Map Roaming System with Airship)

freedoomusic
11th Aug 2015, 18:01
Nomura is wise taking potential new fans into consideration figuring out a way to revamp the combat mechanics.
One can only hope that this new combat style will appeal to new gamers as well as already existing fans.
Or that an option will be given to choose between the legacy and the new combat styles.
The original game gave us some options to personalize how the combat system behaved. So having options like that would be expected.

Crisis Core had a more action based combat, It wasn't great, but it could be worse. What really bugged me about it was that you didn't have control over your summons, and the slot machine rng was a pain.
As for the characters Tifa and Cait Sith in FF7 where they too have a slot machine system for their limit breaks, I'd rather have those characters limit breaks work more like those in FF8 where you press attack with timing for each strike during the limit break.

Since many of us have different opinions about changing the combat mechanics. One could say it would be in square enix┬┤s best interest to give each character unique combat mechanics to more than just their limit breaks, but without compromising their usefulness no matter which characters you put in the party.

Random battles are too quick and meaningless on the original game. While they are still enjoyable, you don't need to fight seriously to defeat your opponents. So i would like to see something along the lines of a "New Game +" with increased difficulty and droprates of combat supplies.
If you have played "The Last Remnant", that game has this "New Game +" option where you get to keep some gil and your equipment.
When you beat the game for the first time you probably didn't fully upgrade your weapons, which is much easier to do in the "New Game +" since you don't have to start from scratch. I would like something like this for the FF7 remake.

Ashtabley
16th Aug 2015, 12:04
With these new obvious drastic changes they are making to the battle system. I would like to point out that the entire opening bombing mission in Midgar will have a lot of tutorials for movement, battle mechanics, and any other mechanics that might be in the game like jumping or climbing (FFX-2).

With these tutorials, do you think they should be apart of the game or not. Personally I miss the old physical game manuals we got inside the disc case.