PDA

View Full Version : Matchmaking and leaving

Tijolow
11th Jun 2015, 12:14
I gave up on this game a while ago but I really like it, and if only the matchmaking were to be fixed it would be a much better experience for everyone. Does it have other serious issues? Sure it does. But, for me, matchmaking is the biggest annoyance this game has. If I can't play because I can't join a game I don't even have time to notice the other issues.

Correct me if I'm wrong and the matchmaking is fine and it's just the low player base that causes issues. But as I see it, there are several rooms semi-filled after matches have ended that are waiting for players and those players in separate rooms are not being joined together to make a game.

The most successful matchmaking I have seen is the one of League of Legends. Because it simply kicks the players from the room after a match, making everyone go to the same matchmaking pool again. And if a match is set, before the game begins someone leaves, everyone is put back to the matchmaking pool. And of course, the leaver gets a "leavers penalty", not being able to join the pool again for 5 minutes or so. And if someone leaves during a game for whatever reason, be it disconnect or to not get a loss, they have the chance to rejoin the same game without penalty, but should they not they'll have to wait for 15 minutes or so to play again the first time around, it gets worse the more you leave. Plus they get a +1 in their 'leaver' stat on their profile near 'losses'.

I've played LOL a long time ago so the systems could not be now as I mentioned them.

There was also a server browser idea on another thread... which is not bad. (plus game leaving penalty system IMO).

Anti-leaving system counterpoints:
-"But you would be encouraging players to not play the game which is bad"
What is worse: Ruining a game for 7 people because you left and the game was unbalanced and hard to enjoy for the remaining players? Or that you were to be punished for doing something purposely harmful the the match? If there was punishment for leaving it would make people think twice before leaving.
-"But my dog caught on fire and I HAD to leave"
Very well, you left. You'll get a leavers penalty and not be allowed to play for an irrelevant amount of time, since you were taking your dog to the vet.
-"But I must leave several times during games because I have explosive diarrhea and I would get a week ban for that??"
Yes, yes you would. If you don't have time to play don't ruin it for other people. Just play when you have the time to finish games.

Matchmaking system counterpoints:
-"Yeah but nosgoth doesn't have nearly as many players as LOL for this to work."
I just write this because I've seen this said related to this idea. So, There are 16 players playing, both matches end and 1 player from each game leaves and both games are missing 1 person and no one else joins in to play. Those 14 players would be there waiting their whole lifes and nothing would happen. Even though there were enough players for a game.

Thoughts, insults regarding my lack of anything, further improvements, suggestions, haters and all are welcome. And devs, specially devs.

riccetto80
11th Jun 2015, 13:59
The matchmaking is fine? i dont understand how people can tell is fine.
Take in consideration only if you win or lose, dont count if you sleep during he match or if you was push like a horse, nothing, only if you win or lose... is just plain stupid in my opinion.

Anyway even if is fine as theory (and for me is not) this game never had the player base to really test it, so no one know really if is fine, being never tested on a decent player base.

So why people keep tell "mm is fine"???

- Penality:

Nosgoth already implemented a time penalty, and is simple counter productive, reduce even more the player pool, because instead of leave and search another game, the player will leave, close nosgoth and open another game from steam.

People dont leave because they are bad and ugly people, leave because play a game must be fun, if you are getting stomped and you know the match will end 60-15, you leave... and you leave anyway, no penality can force people to play a game who is not fun.

The penality must be (after the mm is fixed to provide more balanced match), but not must touch the ability to play another match... cut bonuses instead.

I play a lot ghost recon online, they added a 20% bonus, if you complete 4 matches, you have 20% more gold... if you leave, you lost this bonus, and each new match you complete you have a +5% till a maxim of 20%...

plus is visible the % completion close to the player nick, and if you have under 70-80% you feel ashamed, lol.

this is the correct way to penalize leavers... and if ubi realize this, also enix can realize it.

Tijolow
11th Jun 2015, 16:14
Yeah, I forgot to mention about the rewards for not leaving, LOL had that too. Which is mandatory and kind of implicit in this system.

I'm not a chess player, but chess basics teach you that you can only get better by playing a better opponent. Also, with that you are getting into a all new topic: "Matchmaking team balance". Which is semi-related.

Now i'm not saying that it is FUN or that it is FAIR to play 10 games in a row and lose at 60-15 but is leaving the only solution? Is winning all you play for? If you win 50% of the time, do you only have fun half of the games you play? And what about ruining the fun for the other, remaining, players?

Regarding stomping, I know I'll be comparing this a lot more to LOL but... other games have it too. How about a surrender system? Goes well with the other suggestions.

BlitzingLlama
11th Jun 2015, 21:05
Um...some people have issues with the game that FORCES them to leave. I've loaded into games not being able to do anything. I can't move, I can't type in the chat, nothing. I just stand there syncing. Then the game eventually times me out and I have to wait 3 minutes for the leaver penalty.

Tijolow
12th Jun 2015, 00:24
I don't know if you've read all that I said but I covered this... But again, you'd have the chance to rejoin the same game without penalty. You'd only be penalized if you didn't re-join at all.

riccetto80
12th Jun 2015, 03:41
Being stomped is not about lose, is about lose without fun, a balanced match if you lose, you lose, but you had fun... a stomp, you dont have fun, you dont have fun even if you are the winning side, most time i leave a match when im in the winning team who is stomping the loser one, anyway is not fun, i lost interest in the match and start to play sloppy.

Now i'm not saying that it is FUN or that it is FAIR to play 10 games in a row and lose at 60-15 but is leaving the only solution?

Yes, what is the other option, trash 10/20 minuts of your, limited, free time? you give so little value to your free time and trash it?

Plus in this game we already trash a lot of free time waiting for a match...

Liftstar
12th Jun 2015, 05:29
Just do something that will make leaving not worth, like the guy before said- bonus gold, mats etc after you complete x matches in a row or smth like that. There are a lot of options. And the same should be done for the games when you replace some1 and its already 16-2, you are going to get a free lose so at least compensate for it.
Current system with random drops also isnt too good in my opinion. Rewards should be somehow connected with your score.

Tijolow
12th Jun 2015, 11:21
Yes, what is the other option, trash 10/20 minuts of your, limited, free time? you give so little value to your free time and trash it?

Plus in this game we already trash a lot of free time waiting for a match...

Did you read anything I've written at all? Is this an attempt to troll?

In any case, I've already covered both issues, suggesting a new matchmaking system and a surrender system. Please read everything before posting, and not just the first line.

ParadoxicalOmen
13th Jun 2015, 16:24
+1

I really like the game, but match-making take too long...only us fanatics for LoK put up with 30+ mins of wait time for one single match...

ApollosBow
13th Jun 2015, 16:30
+1

I really like the game, but match-making take too long...only us fanatics for LoK put up with 30+ mins of wait time for one single match...

If you mean for capture the body then I agree, something need to be done to entice people to play it over TD....but if your talking about team deathmatch and having to wait 20min....are you playing at 4am or something...I wait on average 3-5 min for a game anytime between 6pm to 1am.....games start dying off round 2am for me and might have to wait bout 20min after 2.

Perhaps server support isn't as strong in your region or your internet is lacking :scratch:

eXmoRtiZ
18th Jun 2015, 13:43
Anti-leaving system:

Burn the *****, burn them all!!! :D