PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILERS] Roof Scene

KiraS94
2nd Jun 2015, 11:44
Preamble: this is some heavy spoiler [censored]. (Funny how I can't write the word the protagonist says in the third sentence of the intro. Anyway.) Don't read unless you've played thru Ep2. You've been duely warned!

Ok you've been warned. So I was really excited about the roof scene (I had my reasons for that) and I wanted to see how it builds up. Here's the nitty gritty, feel free to add stuff I may have missed!

First of all, if Kate gets upset by something you tell her, she will take a step. She can only do this once without falling - the second step has her plunge. Basically you can only "screw up" one response to her. The chances to answer each question right are not very favorable, however you can do a lot of things before the scene to help your odds of saving her (including helping Kate or getting to know her better, by talking to her and looking around her dorm room). The game is very fair - if you do everything to help her, and you get to know her as well as possible, you are guaranteed to be able to save Kate.

Question 1: "Pulitzer Shot"
You can avoid this question by intervening when she is having the fight with David just outside the Dormitories in EP1. If you chose to take a picture, though, you will need to answer. You need to tell her that "I was scared" or she takes a step towards the edge. (If you intervened, you will have another question - "Nothing Matters" - but you can just pick either answer and she won't take a step.)

If you erased the slates, it will be mentioned in the dialogue, but it does not seem to impact Kate's inclination to go ahead with her suicide. It undoubtedly makes her feel better, though.

Question 2: "Ignoring Call"
You can avoid this question by taking her call in the diner (even though that will majorly upset Chloe). If you chose not to take her call, though, you will need to answer. You need to lie to her that "It was in silent mode", or she takes a step towards the edge. (If you took the call, you will have another question - "Worry" - but you can just pick either answer and she won't take a step.)

If you erased the link in the bathroom, it will be mentioned in the dialogue, but it does not seem to impact Kate's inclination to go ahead with her suicide. It undoubtedly makes her feel better, though.

Question 3: "Told me to do nothing!"
You can avoid this question by telling Kate - after she confesses to you about going to the Vortex Club party - to go to the police. If you decided to tell her that she should not go to the police, you will need to answer. You need to tell her "I'm gathering proof" or she takes a step towards the edge. (If you told her to go to the police, you will have another question - "Means a lot" - but you can just pick either answer and she won't take a step.)

Question 4: "Go back in time and erase"
You cannot avoid this question. You need to tell Kate to "Be Strong", otherwise she takes a step towards the edge. I'm not sure how you could have known this answer. You just have to guess. Here's hoping you did everything right up until now!

Question 5: "Nobody cares!"
You cannot avoid this question. You need to tell Kate "Your Father" or "Your Sisters", otherwise she takes a step towards the edge. If you examine her dorm room during the morning when you return her book, you'll learn that: i) her mother already disapproves of her (tablet on her couch); ii) she doesn't have any brothers (family picture on her bookshelf); iii) she has a strong bond with her sisters (when looking at the photo above her desk, Max comments how happy Kate looks with her sisters); iv) she has a strong bond with her father (when reading the postcard next to her bed, Max comments how much Kate's father seems to care about her).

Question 6: "God put me on this roof"
You can avoid this question by answering any and all previous questions correctly, without Kate taking a step towards the edge. If she did take a step, this will be your final opportunity to bring her back. You will need to reply to her "Matthew 11:28" or she takes the final step towards the edge (and jumps). If you examine her bible in her dorm room during the morning when you return her book, you'll see the post-its near the passages you can pick. The post-it near Matther 11:28 is highlighted (whereas the post-it near Proverbs 21:13 is criss-crossed out), indicating that the former passage means a lot to her.