PDA

View Full Version : Nosgoth State of Play: May 2015

DunhamSmash
30th May 2015, 01:16
The blog is up (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-state-of-play-may-2015), but as always, we wanted to put this here on the forums as well!

----------------------

It's the end of the month and that means it's time once again to look ahead to the future of Nosgoth and see what we have in store. Before we get started, of course, let's first take a look at the weeks that were...

And we'll start with a permanent change! Following May's successful series of "Capture the Body" tests that rewarded players with a unique player banner (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/capture-the-body-april-30th-to-may-4th), we have officially decided to run the CTB Alpha mod e every weekend from this month forward. The mode is by no means finished, though, as we'll continue to make adjustments and refinements along the way.

May also introduced the unique unlocks (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-s-new-chests-including-unique-unlocks-and-premium-skins) found in the "Treasure of the Kings, Exalted Treasure of the Kings, Treasure of the Clans" and "Exalted Treasure of the Clans" chests, and brought about the long-awaited debut of Steam Trading Cards (http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/steam-trading-cards-have-arrived)! We even pushed out a trio of updates (http://www.nosgoth.com/game_updates) that introduced multiple fixes, adjustments, and tweaks.

But what's got next? Time to find out...

NOW and ONGOING - Performance and Bug Fixing
With a large number of features and content released or scheduled-to-be-released in the near future, one of our main goals now is to optimize and improve the overall Nosgoth experience. Running faster, looking better, playing smoother... these are all high priorities for us as we head into the next several months. We appreciate your patience and feedback on the way to getting us there.

NEXT WEEK - Item Forge
We're only a few days away from what we hope will be one of the most exciting and intriguing additions to Nosgoth, the Item Forge!

As we highlighted last month, the Item Forge allows players to combine materials to create new and more personalized versions of their favorite Weapons or Abilities. Once this feature is active, you'll be able to salvage existing items into valuable materials, enchant items with different attributes, re-roll attributes entirely, and recharge items that are running low.

These Item Forge options apply to Weapons and Special, Primary and Secondary Abilities -- meaning that your only limit is your imagination. We can't wait to see what you'll come up with!

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/460/blog_large/20150430-forge-salvage.jpg

NEXT WEEK - Scout Exalted Skin
You've been asking for it and now the Scout Exalted Skin is almost here! We're really pleased with how this one has turned out and, beginning with next week's update, it will be added as a possible prize in the Exalted Treasure of the Kings chests. There isn't much else to add except for you to look at it -- so do so now and enjoy!

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/511/blog_large/scout-exhalted-blog-smaller.jpg

JUNE - League Rankings (Alpha)
The team at Square Enix Montreal are finalizing the Alpha release of the season-based Nosgoth League Ranking system which will initially include Divisional rankings, Friend comparisons, Seasonal archives, Qualifiers, and Divisional Rankings.

This is just the beginning -- expect more to follow shortly!

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/462/blog_large/20150430-league-02.jpg

JUNE - Hunter Exalted Skin
Any self-respecting Vampire Hunter needs new threads, and later into June, your chances of finding one in the Exalted Treasure of the Kings chests will go WAY up (because that's when we're adding it). We plan on getting this one to you as soon as possible, so keep an eye out for more soon.

http://www.nosgoth.com/system/rich/rich_files/rich_files/000/000/512/blog_large/mayconcept.jpg

SUMMER - Pings and Quick Chat
You've been asking us for faster, more efficient ways to notify Friends, Foes, and other groups, which is why we're bringing Quick Chat and Pings to Nosgoth!

Once enabled, you'll be able to quickly provide useful info to other players without having to type it out, plus you'll be able to address multiple folks at once without having to address them individually. We know convenience and usefulness is important to you, and therefore, it's important to us as well.

TBD - More on the Way
We have much more in the pipeline, but don't quite have a specific timeframe for them yet. Taunts (Human equivalents of Executions), Item gifting and trading, and new abilities for the Summoner and the Vanguard are still on the docket, so remember to check back often for the latest progress.

----------------------

And that'll do it -- another installment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? Then head on over to our official forums and let us know!

ApollosBow
30th May 2015, 01:25
Nice Hunter skin :P.......Also please consider a permanent recharge option in exchange for runes, I would definitely avail of it on custom weapons.

DesolatedMaggot
30th May 2015, 03:11
Any chance of some performance fixes in next week's patch? :poke:

GenFeelGood
30th May 2015, 03:21
OMG, that Scout and Hunter, you guys gotta give us ways to get these skins outside of exalted chests. I can't go through another batch of runes and end up with multiples of the same things that I am not even after.

Edit
WAIT A MINUTE!!

These Item Forge options apply to Weapons and Special, Primary and Secondary Abilities -- meaning that your only limit is your imagination. We can't wait to see what you'll come up with!

Do you mean we will be able to attach perks to our abilities as well, not just our weapons or special abilities?

KaininitePriestess
30th May 2015, 04:18
Looks like it, Gen. I always wanted a way to do that. :D

Equanimityjohn
30th May 2015, 06:42
OMG, that Scout and Hunter, you guys gotta give us ways to get these skins outside of exalted chests. I can't go through another batch of runes and end up with multiples of the same things that I am not even after.

Edit
WAIT A MINUTE!!

Do you mean we will be able to attach perks to our abilities as well, not just our weapons or special abilities?

The fact that the skins availability is based on RNG helps to make them more exclusive, but I absolutely understand the desire that this weren't the only way to get them. I suppose a "fair" way to release them otherwise would be to raise their costs substantially, higher even than the evolved/prestige skins, though I don't know if this would be a wise decision or not.

As for the ability to add custom stats to additional abilities outside of the ones which exclusively had them before, I think this is a BIG problem. The imbalance through the stats alone this would facilitate is not something to take lightly, not to mention it isn't FAIR to those players who don't either A) have a TON of gold, B) have a TON of runestones, C) have a TON of spare weapons/abilities, or D) all of the above. The way that +clip works, and the fact that stats like move speed, stun resist, stopping power, even sprint speed, dodge distance, cooldown, and other stats are so "expendable" in favor of things like -spread, +clip, +hp, +dmg below 33%, +attack speed/on kill, etc. makes it so that these additional perks/stats/whatever are going to fundamentally BREAK the game. A means of balancing the ways these stats work needs to be found, the most obvious of these being to make them meaningless (which they kind of are with a couple extreme exceptions) or by reworking the system from the ground up.

Lets be honest, the game is far from balanced, but lets not push it. Don't push out an update for a feature that only sets the game back yet again. It's okay to allow crafting on things that already have the ability to have stats in the game, but adding stats to things that used to not be able to have them is a whole 'nother ballpark. It's cool to stack visual effects; not tangible advantages. Ever heard of the term "pay to win"? This is what might happen if this mechanic is overpowered.

Edit: BTW, what happened to daily objectives or whatever? I've been 25 on every class for 2 months now and I've got a lack of mysterious items worth leveling. I'm running out of reasons to play, besides for enjoyment, but the plethora of bugs and the suffering one must go through in a high MMR queue, even solo, make the game unappealing. The only real fun to be had for me is from scrims, which are ridiculously hard to find with no integrated Warband system and no integrated scrim system [a browser, not a queue] (two things that should be separate [meaning you shouldn't HAVE to be in a Warband to participate in the scrim system] but are both equally important). The prospect of playing 'ranked' (and I'm DEFINITELY not saying a 'scrim system' should necessarily be ranked at all, that is what ESL is for) is neat and all but since the in-game microphone quality is still pretty bad and the random elements of "solo queue" are so excruciating most of the time I don't know if I'll be partaking, and it shouldn't be seen as an alternative to 'legitimate' scrims. If you want the game to be truly competitive you should bolster coordinated team gameplay, not just individual player performances. (It should be, "how well can you play together consistently?" not "how hard can you carry/smash these randoms?")

Edit 2: Sorry went off on a meaningful tangent, anyway yeah. What happened to daily objectives or whatever it was you guys were talking about like 2/3 months ago? Something in addition to the daily "rewards" system for just logging in. I'd be cool if the "reward" for that was even just a mysterious item. Something to level or to use to craft with. (Speaking of "just a mysterious item": opening chests hurts sometimes.) :P

Khalith
30th May 2015, 09:06
I'm really iffy on the adding stats to secondary abilities, I think it's a really bad idea. Double ability reduction + perk? Double clip increase + perk? Double attack speed + perk? Plus with the ability to re-roll the disadvantges we could give ourselves negligible penalties. I'd happily sacrifice regen for that much attack speed or sacrifice stopping power for extra clip bonuses.

Scout skin is alright. I dig the cape but I prefer the level 25 skin, the hood and the mask on it are just too awesome, forget making him look like an officer, I think it makes him look more like an assassin which is what really makes it appealing to me.

League. Doesn't appeal to me, I never play in ranked stuff in any game I play that involves PVP.

Hunter skin, holy god damn. That looks amazing, I want it, I shall have it should I feel so inclined as to spend the money.

Pings and quick chats. Awesome, but, if this is going to be added, we absolutely without exception must have the ability to block players at this point. There are most definitely going to be obnoxious trolls that spam it, for this more than ever we will need a way to block player chat.

As far as the summer stuff goes, I'd say focus on the vanguard, that class needs some love right now. Still waiting for the prophet and vanguard exalted/veteran skins to!

Grisamentum
30th May 2015, 09:23
The fact that the skins availability is based on RNG helps to make them more exclusive, but I absolutely understand the desire that this weren't the only way to get them. I suppose a "fair" way to release them otherwise would be to raise their costs substantially, higher even than the evolved/prestige skins, though I don't know if this would be a wise decision or not.

It costs £3 for 2100 runes which is the minimum you can spend to get a new skin. That's as much as I'm willing to spend. Making the coolest Alchemist skin (and Sentinel, tbh) only available via random chance is just stupid & it annoys me. Not wasting my money on it.

P.S - Why does the Scout prestige skin look like he's wearing some sort of Nosgothian firefighter's helmet? Straight outta Trumpton, fam. Get me?
:/
#Nah

Khalith
30th May 2015, 09:35
P.S - Why does the Scout prestige skin look like he's wearing some sort of Nosgothian firefighter's helmet? Straight outta Trumpton, fam. Get me?

Pretty sure it's meant to be a more elaborate version of a medieval kettle helm.

http://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/245791/4DB9/D0BE/6383/27BE/1694/C0A8/29B9/512E/HEHO-EH01-MSZP-2124_01.jpg

NomzNomz
30th May 2015, 10:31
That hunter skin is the BEST human skin imo!

Disappointed no tease on any new classes. NO silhouette? :(

Da_Wolv
30th May 2015, 11:58
The way that +clip works, and the fact that stats like move speed, stun resist, stopping power, even sprint speed, dodge distance, cooldown, and other stats are so "expendable" in favor of things like -spread, +clip, +hp, +dmg below 33%, +attack speed/on kill, etc. makes it so that these additional perks/stats/whatever are going to fundamentally BREAK the game.

At this point, why not just give everyone a second perk slot and remove all this nonsense entirely...

GenFeelGood
30th May 2015, 13:33

I went through 11000 runes trying to get marked skins and only got the Tyrant (twice), along with 2 and 3 of the same special abilities. I'll gladly pay a little extra if it means I'm getting what I'm after and not more of the same.

blackberrygoo
30th May 2015, 13:47
So are any of the real problems going to be addressed that are ultimately dragging this game down? For instance , the skewed matchmaking ... Unbalanced games are a real issue , some vets would say it's an issue with the amount of płayers , but for those looking at it in a larger mind set , we can see it's the MMR system itself combined with the small player amount (but having a crap matchmaking sytem and MMR formula only hurts) .. We can't see our mmrs but when you're pro with a teamspeak team you know you shouldn't be getting matched up with level 35s or below , yet somehow it still happens , ending in a landslide victory which is always disappointing after waiting the average wait time of 10 + minutes (nosgoth WAS challenging, now it's just we win 60-2 or we lose 10-60 . The MMR system needs to be more refined and complex , and needs to penalize people who leave by bringing their score down by 200 points after leaving 3 games, that way you don't get a whole team of people who have essentially quit their way to a good MMR (as I have seen great rounds with each team fairly balanced but you can tell there's always that lvl 50 quit-winner who will leave when your team is down 7 points , or the even less noticeable but still noticeable , lvl 50 who somehow sucks in every game , and only has a high lvl and MMR because they quit when the **** hits the fan and are only penalized a temporary 3 minute wait timer)...

So to reiterate , the first two issues are : MMR formula is too simple and needs to penalize constant leavers , and the cap for MMR needs to be raised so veterans can fight veterans (also forcing people to stay in new recruit until lvl 15 is a better idea then letting the noobs choose for themselves). And the second issue summed up is , well , we need a better system to get into matches ... We need a server browser , it's safe, efficient, and user friendly as long as it doesn't look like an Arma browser (sorry BI your games are great , your browser looks like it's from the 90's though), this is how multiplayer games should work , no need for automated systems that just mess stuff up anyways . Now that those are tackled how but some more ..

General bug fixing should be your main priority psyonix. Why pay developers and artists to code new things that aren't necessarily needed (the forge , ridiculous amounts of new skins and buy able banners, leagues) when you could put your design team on hiatus for a bit and hire more bugfixers to smooth out the game ? As of right now the game is dying and it's sad to see it go , I have 350 hours in the game total but only anout 170 of those hours are spent in game (comparing nosgoth global statistics page at main menu to the total steam hours), you do that math real quick and tell me how many hours I've spent in game compared to waiting around on queue or in a lobby (I dont spend much time at the main menu diddling around so the hours played in a match subtracted from total hours is approximately the hours spent in lobbies or in queue)... If you didn't do the math I'll tell you , it's about 6 days play time in game and 8 days waiting for queue or lobbies to fill up . That's far too long of a wait time and it only gets me you last point .

We need you (square enix) to stop heavily endorsing and advertising other games ad please put some money towards NOSGOTH , you are not only putting this game behind others in your Massive company , you are single-handedly destroying it's reputation , all people ask me when I ask them if they want to play nosgoth with me is : "isn't that game dead ?" And it's growing on more and more people that square enix and psyonix both don't care where this game ends up .. Speculating on future systems (forge other crap not needed before matchmaking is fixed) is all fun and good but if you hadn't noticed there's about a dozen die hard fans on these forums , and even they are getting suspicious of the way things are being handled , if you devs Have not noticed your game is losing popularity fast , back in January there was thousands of players ... And now ? 489 on a Friday night according to steam charts . No wonder we wait upwards of twenty minutes , minimum 5 (but usually ten) to get into a game.

Psyonix , square enix , please do not let your game die because you have other priorites ... We need matchmaking fixed, we need a new MMR system / formula and MMR penalties for constant leavers (leave a game 3 times in 24 hours that's -500 MMR rating) and as soon as there's a huge influx of new players we need a higher MMR skill cap (if it's capped at 2,000 "units" [dont know the actual values , that's just a guess] increase the max to 4,000 "units" so pro players MMR won't stop at such a low number and can be further spaced from the newbies with an MMR of like 500-1,000, further bettering balance in each match) with these 4 interconnected suggestions hammered out we could have a smoother experience getting into games , and more balanced experience even when people leave a match (the leavers will eventually bring their score down so low they will always be playing with low level people , forcing them to try and actually stay in matches to correctly raise their MMR).

The small bugs like tyrants not fitting in certain areas can wait til after the BIG issues like matchmaking balance , time to find parties , and MMR formula and ratings themselves are fixed. The one reason people quit nosgoth is because of a hard learning curb , well that doesn't make them hate the game that just makes them rage quit for a few weeks , I LOVE nosgoth for that fact , but the real reason why People HATE nosgoth and won't return is because of the 4 very important points I'm trying to raise : MMR ratings need to decrease for constant leavers , MMR skill cap needs to be raised after general population is increased (square enix and psyonix this is YOUR job , advertising!) to further seperate pros from newbs,

I really wish the devs and put in the forge and leagues In alpha (when features are technically best to add) instead of waiting til now so we could be focused on the real stuff like matchmaking fine tuning , bug fixing and optimization , especially the first and
Last one : matchmaking Imbalance , long lobby wait times , MMR caps too low (most likely made for the small player base but it's only hurting at this point because the player base Is SO low, veterans crush newbs , newbs quit , newbs tell their friends nosgoth is dead , veterans get bored fighting unskilled new players, and lone wolf veterans get really bored of having unskilled teammates matched up with them somehow even though they waited 25 minutes for the "best match" available) .

Please nosgoth community , don't recognize this post with flames , as you will only be making the matter worse , the developers need to see why their game is dying : it's not "too hard" like newbs say , the matchmaking is just "too skewed" to work properly , like I said many times in this thread , matchmaking balance , MMR skill caps too low, matchmaking wait times too long ,these are all the reasons why people run from this game in droves , but yet the developers acknowledge none of this and further exacerbate the problem by adding yet another "server" to divide us all up into : league matches , and as excited as I am for something as close to a Halo 2 ranked matchmaking as my childhood nostalgic memory will let me get, I still have huge worries that it will divide the already less than 2,000 people playing this game (with those numbers its impossible to not affect it ). So inhope to see a developer chime in although I'm almost certain they won't , but if you care what will happen to your game , listen to the players , we have been asking for the matchmaking to be fixed for months , and I'm asking now for more than just the matchmaking to be fixed , the formula for determining peoples match making ratings should be changed as well , along with the MMR level cap so there's are more spread out (but again we need more players to do this one DEVS!).

So long story short , we need the next few updates to have less new content , and have much more updates on old content ESPECIALLY THE MATCHMAKING , let's make this game fun again and fix the matchmaking balance , because as of right now it's about as efficient as the random players it finds to throw Into "A" teams just to pretend it's balancing by adding garbage to good cake and calling it frosting (or the other way around and some innocent new players , all low level around 25-30 get teamed against a 4 man team of lvl 40s, and this has happened before just not as extreme but it's an issue that affect player base so it all needs addressing ).

Ysanoire
30th May 2015, 15:55
Always nice to read one of these.

I'm really happy to hear about the focus on bug fixing, it's what we need.

Also I'm really looking forward to the forge, I've been waiting for that for ages.

Still skeptical about the leagues. I kinda think it's gonna be a fail. I imagine it'll be the same matchmaking system, just with symbols for MMR brackets. Imo leagues = playerbase/2 + 2 x toxicity +2 x waiting times.

Ghosthree3
30th May 2015, 16:32
stuff
Oh look, another rage post about matchmaking by someone who doesn't realise the issue IS the low player count and people partying up.

HoopleDoople
30th May 2015, 18:15
Can devs confirm if and when something is going to be done about long wait times? It usually takes 15+ minutes to find a match during peak hours and I never even bother to try finding a match outside of peak hours anymore. All these new things look neat, but I'm not going to play Nosgoth unless the game lets me, you know, actually play.

blackberrygoo
30th May 2015, 19:11
Oh look, another rage post about matchmaking by someone who doesn't realise the issue IS the low player count and people partying up.

Rage post? Don't try and defend a broken mechanic because you like the game (I like it too but I'm not blind to the issues it has) , be an adult and realize what's wrong (don't lie to yourself first and foremost ) the waiting time is ONE of my points about the matchmaking system being broken AND the low player count , so read the whole post next time and try to understand what I'm getting at..

So read my post before you start to crap on it . Now as some of you have experienced , matchmaking times are long yes , but what ghosted or whatever his name his can't realize is that matchmaking balance is horribly broken , and has been gettin worse with the dwindling population (as my first post said , maybe my "stuff" was too logical for ghosted which is why he had to take it personally and get all hurt over my legit points). Anyone who plays with a team in a game expects the matchmaking to keep up with any sort of group , whether it be 4 lvl 50s or a mix of level 15s and 50s , matchmaking should find us another group in reasonable time , it does not , not even when there was 2,000 players on nosgoth just last month (the wait times are getting worse , so is the balance of teams).

If you all can see between the lines you'll notice that it's a deadly cycle : matchmaking and MMR was always skewed, MMR should be displayed to us first of all so we the community could accurately speculate on what's truly going on , but it's somewhat obvious (unless you get personally insulted when someone says matchmaking/MMR is broken/not working correctly) that there are problems other than the player base because we experienced slow queue times and horrible balance of teams MONTHS ago an still no real solution , but yet the community (besides you ghosted) has given them many suggestions :the first of which is to , I don't know advertise your game more ... People hardly know nosgoth exists except for when steam showcases it (months ago that was) after that's done instead of making a new league mode that further seperates the player base , work on how the MM formulates who goes on what team (were basically talking about MMR here) raising MMR cap to avoid pros always being matched with low levels .. How would that work you ask? Well I convienantly wrote it in my first post but since some of you "skipped" over it , well state it again here ..

Currently matchmaking gives ratings to each player based on win/losses and maybe even kills/deaths , so with that in mind there's three issues : nosgoth has the most quitters out of any f2P game I've seen , so to combat this , make it so if you quit out of three matches in a 12 hour period you get -500 (number tbd) points from your MMR. This way people can't "cheat" their way to a high MMR (or win/lose ratio) by quitting, which is important because if you have a higH MMR but actually suck , you're going to be THAT guy that makes his team sink despite his level , this is what presents imbalance , especially when a whole good team is balanced out by a truly low MMR player , which is just as bad as someone who quits to attain a high MMR/win loss ratio, as it imbalances play all the same , making low levels rage quit and veterans get bored with matches... This is ESSENTIAL for properly forming teams (actual MMRs that aren't sculpted by quitting).

Second issue with this is groups , they have always messed with whatever formula the game uses to match MMR to another team , even months ago when this game had thousands of players (so no the small player base IS NOT the only reason why people are leaving the game/long waiting times , it's only a PART of those issues) so what I suggest is that the devs look at their formula or code that handles the matching of teams , and make it so it knows teams will be incredibly diverse (as it seems the formula was never really ready to handle groups of all kinds , it's as if the devs thought everyone in a party would be the same level) . Now onto the last issue with matchmaking ,which can only be addressed after the other issues are, the MMR cap is too low (or so it seems , we need to get back to a couple thousand players to really test this , or if anyone knows what that cap really is then please do tell) as it seems when you finally get into the "best match" found, you end up having one team with a couple people that have high MMR , but the rest of the team seems as if thy just stepped out of new recruit , and upon asking many of these suspicious noobs , they indeed tell me they were crazy low level (one was 27 as I was lvl 40, nobody invited him to the game , MMR just decided it need to balance out our already high Team MMR , and that's balancing in it's CRUDEST form , so we need the devs to fine tune MMR formula , and the matchmaking structure itself .

Don't get me wrong I love this game , which is why I'm advocating for it to change for THE BETTER , so please community don't listen to trolls like ghosted he may be on these forums a lot but it sounds to me that he is in denial about the state of this game . Low player count IS NOT the only issue with matchmaking !!

Bazielim
30th May 2015, 20:58
Ok just a small reminder to keep it civil and on topic guys. Thanks.

Ygdrasel
30th May 2015, 23:00
Pretty sure it's meant to be a more elaborate version of a medieval kettle helm.

[IMG]http://shop.strato.de/WebRoot/Store11/Shops/245791/4DB9/D0BE/6383/27BE/1694/C0A8/29B9/512E/HEHO-EH01-MSZP-2124_01.jpg[IMG]

My first thought was Shredder from Ninja Turtles. XD

I gotta say, both of those exalted skins look great...Shame there won't be any way to buy them.

Looking forward to the item forge. Couldn't care less about the league stuff.

ParadoxicalOmen
31st May 2015, 02:29
Exalted skins are looking amazing, and new crafting system is something to look forward to...BUT...

I really do hope they give some focus to:

Fixing the performance issues first (i'm really getting sick of waiting for so long for a match...i would go as far as saying i'd prefer having bad unbalanced matches if it meant getting into a game fast like it was in the closed beta stage...no more waiting 15-40 mins);

And secondly focus on giving new abilities asap...
Classes like Sentinel, Vanguard and Summoner have no distinct play-style, no matter how you mix up your abilities you end up doing the same things always.
The Deceiver, even though they have less abilities than the Sentinel, they have 2 different play-styles being either sneak-up and attack or mind-control a human out of formation. Same goes for all the other classes...
In the sentinel's case it's not so bad due to his good variation of secondary and ternary abilities, but i'd say he is due for a new special/primary ability...here were some suggestion, maybe you devs could take a look and see if you like anything:
http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=155278

lucinvampire
31st May 2015, 12:35
Looks like an interesting month...
The skins look awesome and I really can't wait to tinker at the forge :D

My first thought was Shredder from Ninja Turtles. XD

:vlol:

Corpsa
1st Jun 2015, 07:16
State of Play = State of Skins
Soon there is nothing to play, guys do you even check Nosgoth Steam charts from time to time?

With a large number of features and content released or scheduled-to-be-released in the near future, one of our main goals now is to optimize and improve the overall Nosgoth experience. Running faster, looking better, playing smoother... these are all high priorities for us as we head into the next several months. We appreciate your patience and feedback on the way to getting us there.

This is the only interesting part in - State of Play, exact 3 lines which are only generally written.
Impressing!

Long Queue - unbalanced Games - Bugs - preformance issues

Hmmm how we deal with this month old issues, ahhhh ok i have an idea, lets make more content with new bugs and some new Skins.

Soon we have Unicorn Skins and shoot Rainbows, but at this stage nobody is left to grab the Gold at the end of the Rainbow.
I wish the other part of your Team would be so busy like your Artist Team, also i wish i could be more positive because i love this Game but i see no light at the end of the Rainbow :(

Vampmaster
1st Jun 2015, 09:25
It's a waste of money to keep paying artists and designers after you've told them not to work on them. Firing them and hiring more programmers instead would be too expensive, especially if you they're on permanent contracts and would expect redundancy pay. Not to mention you then have to invest time in interviewing the programmers you want to hire, then waiting for them to learn their way around the code base and then when all the bugs are fixed, you have to fire all of the programmers you temporarily hired and hope the artists and designers haven't found new jobs yet and are willing to come back and if not you have to go through the interview process all over again at the end.

Either way you look at it, stopping art production is completely unfeasible. Even if all the artists and designers were simply transferred to RocketLeague or something, hiring a load more programmers still takes time and money. It's hard to say how many more staff they can afford to hire.

Also, there are a lot of people by now who already maxed out everything and got bored. New content is needed to keep them interested. Maybe those aren't considered "true gamers", but they make up a lot of the game's population and need something to keep them interested.

I don't know what the programmers are doing, but any time I've had to add a new skin on projects I've worked on it only involved pressing return, typing a file name or hash ID, pressing comma, then replacing an array length with a number 1 higher than what used to be there. It's literally a 5 minute task. On a well known engine like Unreal, I can't imagine it taking much longer than that, so there's no way the skins will be the thing that's taking up so much time.

That being said, showing us the programmers weekly task lists, would at least assure us that the bugs are being worked on.

Grisamentum
1st Jun 2015, 10:18
Long Queue - unbalanced Games - Bugs - preformance issues

Hmmm how we deal with this month old issues, ahhhh ok i have an idea, lets make more content with new bugs and some new Skins.

Soon we have Unicorn Skins and shoot Rainbows, but at this stage nobody is left to grab the Gold at the end of the Rainbow.
I wish the other part of your Team would be so busy like your Artist Team, also i wish i could be more positive because i love this Game but i see no light at the end of the Rainbow :(

XD
Omg
:lmao:

P.s Think he was just joking, Vamp :lmao:

Vampmaster
1st Jun 2015, 10:29
XD
Omg
:lmao:

P.s Think he was just joking, Vamp :lmao:

My comment wasn't directed specifically at Corpsa. A number of people have been suggesting the same sort of thing without joking and it's a completely inaccurate assumption that skins would take up any significant amount of the programmer's time and an unfeasible solution to restaff half of the studio.

LorenCole
1st Jun 2015, 12:28
The fact that Corpsa and the other guys you were adressing to is that... there is not that much time.

Let me try to figure the situation, correct me if I am wrong.

A videogame studio makes a game, and it's a F2P. They start with a budget given from a producer. Microtransations are like VAT numbers for promoters in real life: money that people spends on aestetics are a surplus that make producer involved in give more money to the develop of the game and helps people enriching their pockets, same as a promoter, if he sells contract, take some money for him and make good impression to the boss.

The fact is that a boss can fire you if you're not good at basically selling or he thinks that your performance as a seller it's not good as you can't find clients.

With Nosgoth should be the same? Will Square still give money if the player base has dropped by the 51%? It's a real menace or I (and other people) are just paranoid?

The game has flaws that I will not number here, there are threads where I've debate about this, so, please if you want to ask me something about that ask me in that threads.

Vampmaster
1st Jun 2015, 12:41
The fact is that a boss can fire you if you're not good at basically selling or he thinks that your performance as a seller it's not good as you can't find clients..

But if you have done your job properly and your employer is just firing you to gain funds for a completely different department, that's a redundancy and likely requires notice and a payoff. And as you said, timing is important and replacing a large number of staff would take up a lot of time.

Corpsa
1st Jun 2015, 14:31
It's a waste of money to keep paying artists and designers after you've told them not to work on them. Firing them and hiring more programmers instead would be too expensive, especially if you they're on permanent contracts and would expect redundancy pay. Not to mention you then have to invest time in interviewing the programmers you want to hire, then waiting for them to learn their way around the code base and then when all the bugs are fixed, you have to fire all of the programmers you temporarily hired and hope the artists and designers haven't found new jobs yet and are willing to come back and if not you have to go through the interview process all over again at the end.

I am aware that the Designers are not the issue and i only said i wish the Programmers would be also so busy like them, but i saw it wasnt dirested to me.

To your Quote, i agree with this when we talk about a small Videogame Producer, they have to be fussy till they made their basis to grow.
Well, but we talk not about a little Game Producer- Square Enix/Psyonix are big/rich enough to develop a Game smooth.
I think its a communication + management issue, their Team Leader lost overview or is overchallenged and not able to manage their
Crew size.
What also could be they wear handcuffs, from the Management above them.
The develpment over the last Months felt like a square-Wheel and not Square Enix.
This Game could flood them with Money with ease, so why they need to banish People with this Main issues which are not solved over Months.
Many People which get disappointed never come back, its like a Restaurant when their food tastes like garbage you dont come back;)
Solution hire competent Programmer which fix the Core stuff, Game grows fast, Money floods, hire People which make your Job, build a Home in Hawaii, happy Life :wave::tongue2:

LOFO1993
1st Jun 2015, 14:59
Just my 2 cents...

Adding skins, leagues, forging etc. is NEVER a bad thing. The more of these features, the better, and the game is keeping a reasonable pace on those. I wouldn't expect less, but I couldn't really ask for more.

The problem is not that new content is being made too fast. The actual problem is that the old content is not getting fixed fast enough. And the two things are not necessarely correlated, considering how a development studio is composed and operates.

I'm sure there used to be a QA team playing the game and fixing things on the go back in the days if the Alpha; is it still the case? Because, frankly, in the last several months bugfixing went WAY slower than it used to be, or one would expect it to be.

A month ago or so new bugs were introduced, notably the Tyrant "shockwave on landing" glitch. A lot of people know about it; the developers must know about it; I've sent a ticket myself ages ago, but it shouldn't really be needed in this case. How hard can it be to fix that? Does it really take more than the span of two whole patches?

Crosshairs don't point at the center of the screen. I have no idea how that can even happen, but fair enough. Then, complete silence, for months now. How hard can it be to fix that? I don't want to believe it takes all this time, to a professional development studio with years of experience and several employees. Therfore, it means the people who could fix it are full-scheduled on something else, and nobody is even trying to take care of these things.

In the weapon stats a wrong icon is displayed in place of the correct one. That one has been there since forever. I can't even start to begin they never noticed it in years - I reported it myself, incidentally. Nothing. Unless something incredibly complicated is going on in those menus, that's literally one line of code to correct, with multiple resources are conflicting when just one should be called. I'm not a programmer, but how does that take more than an hour, at the very most, to fix?

I can understand issues with the matchmaking, or some server lag. Those are huge matters, they require a lot of thinking, programming and testing, and can be challenging to fix of a mid-sized studio with limited budget.

But I'm starting to be baffled at the carelessness for much smaller and simpler glitches and bugs that could easily be gone in a matter of days, and yet has been there for months (not to say years).

I don't know what's going on behind the curtains, so I'm not going to "blame" it on anybody, but I can't help but feel the cause of most of the troubles lies in the money faucet being too narrow for what the game is supposed to be. This is objectively a very good game in and of itself, and yet it's still not really making it; the only reasonable conclusion is terrible management at some level, likely the high one, where somebody can't recognize where there is potential and is letting it die of starvation in a corner.

Of course it doesn't help the press seems to have vowed to never even talk about Nosgoth, but after all it's all like a snake biting its tail; if the game had a bit more push from Square more people would play it, and then the press would find it worth talking about.

Square is going to hold a stage conference at E3 2015. If they won't even NAME Nosgoth during the event, I really don't like where this is going, and I can only feel bad for Psyonix.

Vampmaster
1st Jun 2015, 15:19
I am aware that the Designers are not the issue and i only said i wish the Programmers would be also so busy like them, but i saw it wasnt dirested to me.

To your Quote, i agree with this when we talk about a small Videogame Producer, they have to be fussy till they made their basis to grow.
Well, but we talk not about a little Game Producer- Square Enix/Psyonix are big/rich enough to develop a Game smooth.
I think its a communication + management issue, their Team Leader lost overview or is overchallenged and not able to manage their
Crew size.
What also could be they wear handcuffs, from the Management above them.
The develpment over the last Months felt like a square-Wheel and not Square Enix.
This Game could flood them with Money with ease, so why they need to banish People with this Main issues which are not solved over Months.
Many People which get disappointed never come back, its like a Restaurant when their food tastes like garbage you dont come back;)
Solution hire competent Programmer which fix the Core stuff, Game grows fast, Money floods, hire People which make your Job, build a Home in Hawaii, happy Life :wave::tongue2:

This is how many people there are at Psyonix and half of them are on Rocket League:
http://psyonix.com/?page_id=646
It's a single studio with a contract to SE specifically for this game. There's no way they could afford the time and money to replace all their artists and designers with programmers.

What might work is assigning more programmers from SE Montreal, since there are a few people supposedly working on it remotely from there. At least the only expense that way they don't have to mess around with all the stuff I previously mentioned.

Saikocat
1st Jun 2015, 15:38
Just to reiterate what Jeremy posted, improvements to performance and bug fixing are a priority right now, so while the blog doesn't break that down into specifics, it is a big part of what the team are working on now. Our upcoming patch will have bug fixes and improvements to optimization, and work on issues will be ongoing.

As his blog indicated, we're hoping to release that patch this week. We'll keep you posted on that!

GenFeelGood
1st Jun 2015, 16:55
Question about the Item Forge, could skins be crafted through it some day?

eXmoRtiZ
1st Jun 2015, 17:12
Keep up the good work. I like Nosgoth so much. The main problem is the playerbase is small. Some advertisement maybe help :).

I don't think there is a big problem with Matchmaking (except the long wait times). - The players mentality (leave when losing), is much bigger problem.

ApollosBow
2nd Jun 2015, 16:23
Just to reiterate what Jeremy posted, improvements to performance and bug fixing are a priority right now, so while the blog doesn't break that down into specifics, it is a big part of what the team are working on now. Our upcoming patch will have bug fixes and improvements to optimization, and work on issues will be ongoing.

As his blog indicated, we're hoping to release that patch this week. We'll keep you posted on that!

Assuming Friday is patch day?

Harmaatukka
2nd Jun 2015, 17:05
I hope not, either patch it tomorrow, or leave it for the next week, we don't need more game breaking bugs before the ESL.

RazielWarmonic
3rd Jun 2015, 00:31

Older players are not playing anymore because nothing new is being offered.
TDM is a bad mode for the game in the long run, and the playerbase is reflective of that.

A lot of us are moving on, simply because we are losing faith in the game at this point. Bigger issues are not being addressed, we're not getting any updates, all we have in terms of updates are vague postings and skins.

Ghosthree3
3rd Jun 2015, 00:52
A lot of us are moving on, simply because we are losing faith in the game at this point. Bigger issues are not being addressed, we're not getting any updates, all we have in terms of updates are vague postings and skins.
I think this is more the issue than no new content being offered. If you look at all the big successful FPS games you'll see that no real content is ever added except for maps. Modes are I suppose sometimes offered, but tend to be enjoyed by few.

Look at CS, that game could not be simpler or smaller, yet people are still playing de_dust2 the exact same way 15 years later. The only thing it has now it didn't back then is matchmaking.

The design of this game is fairly solid, it's just extremely bug riddled and hasn't been balanced yet. Which is to be expected, it IS in beta after all.

RazielWarmonic
3rd Jun 2015, 01:24
The design of this game is fairly solid,
I agree, the core is there, but the game mode isn't suiting. Among other things. I honestly just don't care to explain anymore.

it's just extremely bug riddled and hasn't been balanced yet. Which is to be expected, it IS in beta after all.
I can look past bugs, balance is fine, long queue times, etc. I get that it's "just in beta", I don't care for new maps, new classes (infact summoner and vanguard kind of ruined it for me, and Crucible is lack luster), I want a new game mode. They started to go the right way with Siege/Flashpoint/Drag the Body, but the maps just... Aren't suited, and nothing is balanced around those modes so it doesn't matter.

Trust me, with over 1000+ hours in less than a year, I want the game to live. At the moment though, I am not hopeful.

Ghosthree3
3rd Jun 2015, 02:00
infact summoner and vanguard kind of ruined it for me, and Crucible is lack luster
Agree with this, game hasn't been as fun for me since summoner came out.

I agree that a really good game mode could be good, but I just don't know what that mode could be.

lucinvampire
3rd Jun 2015, 08:44

That's good to hear Cat; the performance really needs a good looking at as playability is bad so bad as well some of the ongoing bugs. I'm glad to hear things like this are getting the focus of the team…and I look forward to improvements.

RainaAudron
3rd Jun 2015, 09:43
When will Flashpoint be put back in?

Vampmaster
3rd Jun 2015, 09:58
When will Flashpoint be put back in?

I miss flashpoint. That bug with the capturing before the match timer has started is annoying though. Been there a very long time for something that's fairly easy to reproduce.

lucinvampire
3rd Jun 2015, 11:52
I miss flashpoint.

Same :( even with its faults I'd take that over TDM/CtB any day

Saikocat
3rd Jun 2015, 15:31
Hey everyone,

Right now, it looks like we'll be pushing the update early next week instead. We'll share more specific timing as soon as it's locked in so you know when to expect the downtime to hit. It'll be a big update as it'll add the Forge into the game.

Vampmaster
3rd Jun 2015, 15:34
Hey everyone,

Right now, it looks like we'll be pushing the update early next week instead. We'll share more specific timing as soon as it's locked in so you know when to expect the downtime to hit. It'll be a big update as it'll add the Forge into the game.

That's disappointing. Can you show anything about how it will work in the meantime?

Ghosthree3
3rd Jun 2015, 15:48
I don't care if it's pushed back if it's good.

ApollosBow
3rd Jun 2015, 16:06
At least give us class silhouettes to stare at :(

Vampmaster
3rd Jun 2015, 16:33
At least give us class silhouettes to stare at :(

The new classes aren't even discussed in the state of play. I only asked for info on the crafting because it's so close and got delayed.

GenFeelGood
3rd Jun 2015, 16:33
That's disappointing. Can you show anything about how it will work in the meantime?

Yes please, specifics so we can start planning with our inventory would be greatly appreciated.:worship:

Saikocat
4th Jun 2015, 16:01

Just to expand a little on what the state of play blog said, for now :)

You'll use materials and gold to enchant or reforge weapons and abilities
Materials will be end-of-match drops, are going into Daily Rewards, and you'll be able to get them from other items by salvaging them (breaking them down).
Enchanting adds a magical property pair (buff+debuff) to an item
Reforging them will let you pick a property pair and re-roll for a new pair. For instance you might have a Multibow with +10% stun resist/-15% health from heal stations. If you reforge it, you can select that property pair and roll to get a different one (see below screenshot for an example).
You can Enchant and Reforge Weapons and Specials, but also Primary and Secondary abilities, eg you'll be able to take your standard Poison Bola and add a magical property pair to it

The new Exalted Scout skin will be going into the Exalted Treasure Of The Kings chest loot tables in this patch as well.

Vampmaster
4th Jun 2015, 16:10
Just to expand a little on what the state of play blog said, for now :)

You'll use materials and gold to enchant or reforge weapons and abilities
Materials will be end-of-match drops, are going into Daily Rewards, and you'll be able to get them from other items by salvaging them (breaking them down).
Enchanting adds a magical property pair (buff+debuff) to an item
Reforging them will let you pick a property pair and re-roll for a new pair. For instance you might have a Multibow with +10% stun resist/-15% health from heal stations. If you reforge it, you can select that property pair and roll to get a different one (see below screenshot for an example).
You can Enchant and Reforge Weapons and Specials, but also Primary and Secondary abilities, eg you'll be able to take your standard Poison Bola and add a magical property pair to it

The new Exalted Scout skin will be going into the Exalted Treasure Of The Kings chest loot tables in this patch as well.

Can you say what some of the items are? Will there be some sort of recipe list either in a blog or in game. Also, are there items that can imbue a weapon with elemental effects?

Sophax
4th Jun 2015, 17:33
Square is going to hold a stage conference at E3 2015. If they won't even NAME Nosgoth during the event, I really don't like where this is going, and I can only feel bad for Psyonix.
In the end Square Enix is a big company that won't put any long term investment into a dying franchise. If they're not getting mentioned on stage then its safe to assume the higher ups already decided to stop funding and promoting Nosgoth since there is no future in it. I'm sure it'll continue to exsist with skin releases here and there but only to try to earn back their initial investment.

Its going to take more than just skins and pumping money in tournaments based on TDM/CTF to put Nosgoth on the map. The way it is right now is that Nosgoth is a realy unique and fun game and thats where the story ends.

Its more of a concept with alot of potential than a fully fleshed out game. You have all these classes with powers and assymetric gameplay coming from an IP that has alot of lore and the only thing they can come up with is TDM and CTF.

That objective based game mode I mentioned in my other thread would be able to satisfy the casual people who like the unique gameplay and narrative/story of the game and the competetive players who like to get good using the gamemechanics and strategy.

You could release a map with new objectives every time that expands the lore as the result of a map win/victory tied in with cosmetic purchasables and what not.

That way the game is unique, fun and keeps players involved and spending money along the way. No other PvP F2P title has this kind of model except for maybe Warframe but that isn't realy PvP based.

(http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=156078)

GenFeelGood
4th Jun 2015, 17:45
So let me see if I have a grasp of this item forge.

It seems to be an RPG setup based on this description and picture provided, involving components (bones, bloods, essences, crystals, and ingots) that combine in different ratios to create different perks for the weapons/abilities being forged.

The salvage breaks the weapons/abilities (possibly even perks) down into the components (hope we don't lose any in the process) in order to be allocated towards other weapons/abilities with more desirable perks or for those same perks, just with more acceptable debuffs.

Am I close?

Saikocat
5th Jun 2015, 10:03
Can you say what some of the items are? Will there be some sort of recipe list either in a blog or in game. Also, are there items that can imbue a weapon with elemental effects?

We'll put the ingredients list in the blog, yep, you can see the icons already in the image Jeremy shared above.
At the moment, the system doesn't include cosmetic effects, but it's something we're looking at adding down the line.

So let me see if I have a grasp of this item forge.

It seems to be an RPG setup based on this description and picture provided, involving components (bones, bloods, essences, crystals, and ingots) that combine in different ratios to create different perks for the weapons/abilities being forged.

The salvage breaks the weapons/abilities (possibly even perks) down into the components (hope we don't lose any in the process) in order to be allocated towards other weapons/abilities with more desirable perks or for those same perks, just with more acceptable debuffs.

Am I close?

Essentially. You can get materials from salvaging, end-of-match drops, and Daily Rewards. They can be used to enchant a weapon, special or ability, to reforge (roll for different property pair), or recharge an item. If you reforge a property pair, it changes both the buff and the debuff, so you get a new pair.

Vampmaster
5th Jun 2015, 11:23
At the moment, the system doesn't include cosmetic effects, but it's something we're looking at adding down the line.

Can you consider this sort of thing with the demon remains if you end up doing that?
http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=155794&p=2126352#post2126352

Saikocat
5th Jun 2015, 12:48
Can you consider this sort of thing with the demon remains if you end up doing that?
http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=155794&p=2126352#post2126352

I'll share that idea here :)

Truckposeidon
5th Jun 2015, 17:59
Almost the end of the week and I can't contain my forge hype. Will she be here soon <3?

enkaku-silence-
5th Jun 2015, 19:15
Almost the end of the week and I can't contain my forge hype. Will she be here soon <3?

The patch was postponed to the beginning of next week (probably because of ESL finals).

GenFeelGood
5th Jun 2015, 20:29
Thanks Saikocat, I just have 3 more questions about the Item Forge and I'll be good to wait quietly for release.

1) Will we be able to attach 2 buffs/debuffs to the abilities like with the weapons and special powers?
2) Since we are gonna be able to control what buffs get placed, will we be able to stack the same buff on a weapon or ability more than once (for example, 2 ability cooldowns on a reaver pounce)?
3) If yes to question 1 & 2, will we also be able to stack the same buffs on the abilities?

Saikocat
9th Jun 2015, 10:17
Thanks Saikocat, I just have 3 more questions about the Item Forge and I'll be good to wait quietly for release.

1) Will we be able to attach 2 buffs/debuffs to the abilities like with the weapons and special powers?
2) Since we are gonna be able to control what buffs get placed, will we be able to stack the same buff on a weapon or ability more than once (for example, 2 ability cooldowns on a reaver pounce)?
3) If yes to question 1 & 2, will we also be able to stack the same buffs on the abilities?

1 - Yes, they'll work the way current Specials and Weapons do, each one will have two "slots", for a buff/debuff pair.

2 - You won't be able to pick and choose them, so you can't choose two of the same ones to stack. You'll roll for a pair.
I will check with the guys about whether it's possible to randomly get the same one twice, and update when I know for sure.

ApollosBow
9th Jun 2015, 10:24
1 - Yes, they'll work the way current Specials and Weapons do, each one will have two "slots", for a buff/debuff pair.

2 - You won't be able to pick and choose them, so you can't choose two of the same ones to stack. You'll roll for a pair.
I will check with the guys about whether it's possible to randomly get the same one twice, and update when I know for sure.

Cool...so would the patch be dropping this Thursday?

pidden
9th Jun 2015, 11:09
Yesterday during the ESL broadcast, i thought she said the patch is tomorrow.
That would mean today, i really hope so.

jlh_free
9th Jun 2015, 11:51
i hope is it for today :P