PDA

View Full Version : The thing that I don't quite understand about the MD trailer

Avenging_Teabag
28th May 2015, 09:23
Note: I considered posting this in the general discussion so if the mods feel it belongs there, pls merge ))

So, the story told in the trailer seems to be quite straightforward: it starts with Adam being a witness to a bunch of augs being brutalized by police/some paramilitary forces, among the people being beat up is the yellow hoodie guy (Ivan Berk). He pleads for his life, Adam decides to hell with it, prompted by the memory of Megan as the one he couldn’t save, steps in and saves Ivan. Whether any relationship follows between them thereafter is unclear. Then at some point in the future Adam probably gets a hint of a terror attack being in the works - if he knew beforehand that Ivan is the perp or only discovered that on site is, again, unclear. We also don’t know if Ivan joined Marchenko’s group before or after being rescued by Adam. Adam tries to stop the bombing, but is too late; after the attack he finds Ivan at Marchenko’s hideout where the rest of the events take place. All is fine and dandy except for one detail: the scars.

This is Berk during the bombing:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/92fcc70eb17ba3e1cb9dbf63a53e1e96/tumblr_inline_nninr9BCU31qc6ted_250.jpg

His face is clear and pristine; no scars. This is him during the beatdown and Marchenko's speech:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/5fe6b9f4e6792934a2ae66fdba2e9e9a/tumblr_inline_nninh2o8pL1qc6ted_400.jpg

Not only is his face scarred, those are clearly the same scars (a patch of skin missing from his right cheek). And so, the timeline becomes incomprehensible. Did Adam see a guy blowing up a bus, then saved him from the police and followed him to his group's hideout? Or seen a guy, followed him to the hideout, wiped out the hideout but spared Ivan for some reason, then saved a confirmed terrorist from the police? I'm kind of at a loss here (and yeah, I watched that trailer far too many times). Did SE simply mess up with the scars? Any other ideas?

xaduha3
28th May 2015, 15:19
There can be any number of explanations, but basically we need to look for the 'message'. Police are beating him up without an apparent reason, but he's augmented, so there's that. Jensen stops them. But 'oh, no' - the guy he saves isn't a good guy, here's your consequences right there.

That's the message, but the actual timeline is: AJ had a lead, but couldn't prevent the explosion; AJ follows Berk; police beat him up for something unrelated or maybe they are rounding up everyone; AJ interferes so Berk can still lead him to the hideout, showdown.

Shralla
28th May 2015, 22:47
Why don't you just wait for the game and find out for sure?

3dot14hole
29th May 2015, 22:38
Not only is his face scarred, those are clearly the same scars (a patch of skin missing from his right cheek). And so, the timeline becomes incomprehensible. Did Adam see a guy blowing up a bus, then saved him from the police and followed him to his group's hideout? Or seen a guy, followed him to the hideout, wiped out the hideout but spared Ivan for some reason, then saved a confirmed terrorist from the police? I'm kind of at a loss here (and yeah, I watched that trailer far too many times). Did SE simply mess up with the scars? Any other ideas?

I think they've taken out chunks of the story and made a non-sequential trailer. If it's like the Human Revolution CGI Trailer, it hints at story elements, but how they show it is not how it will necessarily play out. I think this is the order:

1. Adam rescues Ivan from the none aug soldiers.
2. Ivan develops a hatred for the none augs.
3. Ivan learns of the bald European(Ukrainian?) augmented leader, agrees with his ideals of standing up to non augs.
4. This fuels him carry out the attack on the bus.
5. Adam probably learns of this, when he's listening during the speech.
6. He goes after him, or to rescue the people(scene shown at the start).

I'm glad this is bought up because in the story, is this gonna be like:

Saving the Scientist and/or the prisoners in The Missing Link, against the clock sequence.

Avenging_Teabag
5th Jun 2015, 07:06
^ That would make the most sense, yes. Some time has to have passed between the Marchenko fight and the bombing, so Berk's scars've healed.

Why don't you just wait for the game and find out for sure?
To have something to talk about, eh? This place is pretty much dead.

Irate_Iguana
5th Jun 2015, 21:47
To have something to talk about, eh? This place is pretty much dead.

A direct result of how EM or now Squeenix market their games. This happened with HR as well. Unless you are in one of their predetermined interview cycles there is no news to discuss. You have to wait until such time as marketing decides a new sliver of info will be released and then you can read the same copy+paste interview on all your favourite gaming websites. Right now we are waiting for the info round that will come on the 16th of June when they have their talk at E3.

SquareWastesMyTime
5th Jun 2015, 22:04
I don't disagree that there's an element of waiting for scraps to game the marketing hype cycle, but this game is being actively discussed elsewhere: reddit, NeoGaf, etc.

I have my theories about why this place is such a ghost town, of course. But that's a topic for another time and place. It's not because there's nothing to talk about.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2015, 12:31
The majority of people (I hope) live interesting lives. When there is no further news about a game, people get busy living and having fun elsewhere. The sun is shining... shades on. :cool:

When further news is released... everyone will come back to post. Its all very typical and normal.

Avenging_Teabag
8th Jun 2015, 07:08
A direct result of how EM or now Squeenix market their games. This happened with HR as well. Unless you are in one of their predetermined interview cycles there is no news to discuss. You have to wait until such time as marketing decides a new sliver of info will be released and then you can read the same copy+paste interview on all your favourite gaming websites. Right now we are waiting for the info round that will come on the 16th of June when they have their talk at E3.
No offense, but I think the poster right below you is much closer to the truth.

Shralla
8th Jun 2015, 21:21
People discussing it on those forums doesn't mean there is any more news to discuss than there is here. Those threads are all full of the same tired bull**** we were all sick of three years ago.

Irate_Iguana
9th Jun 2015, 18:24
this game is being actively discussed elsewhere: reddit, NeoGaf, etc.

No offense, but I think the poster right below you is much closer to the truth.

You are comparing two huge sites with a site that didn't have a lot of members even during the heydays of HR hype. Fewer people = fewer ideas for threads = fewer posts.