PDA

View Full Version : Should I just give up on shipping Max/Warren? (spoilers)

Baeraad
22nd May 2015, 10:21
As of episode 3, the subtext between Max and Chloe is officially text. We have actual (albeit potential) smooching, and later on Max implies that the only reason she's not planning to pursue anything with Chloe is that once they find Rachel, Rachel and Chloe will get back together. (because of course she assumes that she can't possibly compete with Rachel - bless your self-loathing little heart, Max!)

What I'm wondering is, does that mean that Warren is officially out of luck as far as Max goes? Should I just stop being so heteronormative and embrace the hot girl-on-girl action already? :p

On the one hand, it seems almost straightforward. Max has enough chemistry with Chloe to burn down the house, but she repeatedly states that she doesn't think of Warren that way (and she seems completely oblivious to the fact that he so obviously does think of her that way).

On the other hand (and I'll put the spoiler tag on the rest, because I'm not entirely sure what counts as a spoiler so I'll play it safe):

Max mentions that she likes skater guys ("too bad they don't like me") and that there are a few guys at Blackwell she thinks are cute ("but they just think I'm a nerd"), so it seems she's not strictly into girls. It's Warren, in particular, that she doesn't see as boyfriend material - which, along with her crush on Chloe, suggests to me that she is attracted to "cool" people of both genders but not to anyone who she thinks of as a fellow geek. In other words, we have one dashing and dangerous suitor who the heroine swoons over, and one reliable and down-to-earth suitor who gets ignored by the heroine due to being too safe and boring. If this was a stereotypical rom-com, we'd already know how that story would end. :p (but of course it isn't, so we don't)

Here's another thing that I've noticed. Every opportunity you get to please/impress Chloe involves taking the "bad" option when faced with a non-skippable choice. (taking the blame for the pot, not taking the time to comfort Kate, trying to shoot Frank, etc) Every opportunity you get to please/impress Warren, on the other hand, is in the form of some optional puzzle or just an otherwise consequence-free choice of whether or not to be extra nice to him (helping him with his chemistry assignment, agreeing to go see a movie with him).

So to make Chloe like you, you have to allow her to be a bad influence on you. In order to make Warren like you, you have to make the effort to pay attention to him even though you don't have to. I can't help it feel that that might just be intentional...

Truth be told, the question I used for a headline is moot, thanks to the wonders of multiple save slots. ;) In my first, unspoiled playthrough, I'll go on trying to get Max to hook up with Warren. In my second playthrough, I'll read the writing on the wall and try to get Max to hook up with Chloe (while looking for some way to encourage Warren to hook up with Brooke instead). I guess we'll see if either goal proves a) possible and b) possible for me, with my highly dubious skill as a matchmaker... :p

AnimeSuperFan
22nd May 2015, 15:25
As of episode 3, the subtext between Max and Chloe is officially text. We have actual (albeit potential) smooching, and later on Max implies that the only reason she's not planning to pursue anything with Chloe is that once they find Rachel, Rachel and Chloe will get back together. (because of course she assumes that she can't possibly compete with Rachel - bless your self-loathing little heart, Max!)

What I'm wondering is, does that mean that Warren is officially out of luck as far as Max goes? Should I just stop being so heteronormative and embrace the hot girl-on-girl action already? :p

On the one hand, it seems almost straightforward. Max has enough chemistry with Chloe to burn down the house, but she repeatedly states that she doesn't think of Warren that way (and she seems completely oblivious to the fact that he so obviously does think of her that way).

On the other hand (and I'll put the spoiler tag on the rest, because I'm not entirely sure what counts as a spoiler so I'll play it safe):

Max mentions that she likes skater guys ("too bad they don't like me") and that there are a few guys at Blackwell she thinks are cute ("but they just think I'm a nerd"), so it seems she's not strictly into girls. It's Warren, in particular, that she doesn't see as boyfriend material - which, along with her crush on Chloe, suggests to me that she is attracted to "cool" people of both genders but not to anyone who she thinks of as a fellow geek. In other words, we have one dashing and dangerous suitor who the heroine swoons over, and one reliable and down-to-earth suitor who gets ignored by the heroine due to being too safe and boring. If this was a stereotypical rom-com, we'd already know how that story would end. :p (but of course it isn't, so we don't)

Here's another thing that I've noticed. Every opportunity you get to please/impress Chloe involves taking the "bad" option when faced with a non-skippable choice. (taking the blame for the pot, not taking the time to comfort Kate, trying to shoot Frank, etc) Every opportunity you get to please/impress Warren, on the other hand, is in the form of some optional puzzle or just an otherwise consequence-free choice of whether or not to be extra nice to him (helping him with his chemistry assignment, agreeing to go see a movie with him).

So to make Chloe like you, you have to allow her to be a bad influence on you. In order to make Warren like you, you have to make the effort to pay attention to him even though you don't have to. I can't help it feel that that might just be intentional...

Truth be told, the question I used for a headline is moot, thanks to the wonders of multiple save slots. ;) In my first, unspoiled playthrough, I'll go on trying to get Max to hook up with Warren. In my second playthrough, I'll read the writing on the wall and try to get Max to hook up with Chloe (while looking for some way to encourage Warren to hook up with Brooke instead). I guess we'll see if either goal proves a) possible and b) possible for me, with my highly dubious skill as a matchmaker... :p

She talks about liking 'skater boys', but the thing is, I think Max finds Warren cute, but I don't think she's clueless about his feelings towards her. I think it could still go either way, regardless of the events of chapter three.

Honestly, if there is an 'All girl harem' ending, I'm aiming for it.

Alvare
22nd May 2015, 16:05
I think Max is either too shy to be around Warren or too busy with finding Rachel.
But I would really like them being together for once. They're a cute and funny couple.

Wambo_is_Strange
23rd May 2015, 01:56
Max has no clue about Warren's feelings.
I mean she even wondered about why he keeps a picture of them inside his locker.

That may be due to all the things going on and stop Max from thinking straight forward but there doesn't seem to be much of a romantical tension on Max's side.

She pretty much put him right in the friendzone, which is mean because he took so much heat for her (e.g. getting hit by Nathan).
On the other hand, I'm totally shipping Max and Chloe, so I'm fine with it :D

Maybe there will be choice in Episode 4 where you need to decide wheter you go on the "date" with Warren or hang out with Chloe.
Just because the look Chloe gave Max while talking to him in the morning, what do you think?

Alvare
23rd May 2015, 09:05
It was really cute when Max kissed Chloe. You should also see the look on Chloe's face when Max starts undressing at the pool.
She's like: ****, don't look. Just look down at the water." She's definitely a bi.

WazzuMan
23rd May 2015, 13:39
Warren is an obvious match for Max, that's my problem with it. It's just too easy to see them get together that the very idea sounds boring and uninteresting.

Chloe, on the other hand, is wild and unpredictable and she brings out that side of Max in a way Warren never could. And Max is a positive influence on her, if you tell her not to steal the money she doesn't put up a big fuss about it. They complete each other. Is it possible for them to be more than besties, I'm eager to find out.

TwoTonTom
23rd May 2015, 16:48
According to the student files found in Principal Wells' office, Max is 18 whilst Warren is 16. If Max was to go out with Warren, wouldn't she be considered a paedophile ?

frag971
23rd May 2015, 17:46
According to the student files found in Principal Wells' office, Max is 18 whilst Warren is 16. If Max was to go out with Warren, wouldn't she be considered a paedophile ?Exactly. Warren has a crush on her but he is totally out of her radar.