PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Rachel/Max connection

Nightmare07
22nd May 2015, 07:42
Okay, so this may just be pretty far fetched, but I have been thinking, what if Rachel is Max, but not the way people are thinking. What if Rachel's...spirit?...is trapped inside of Max. I thought of this because when you do the rewind at any time, you can see a second figure of Max rewinding as well as the Max who is doing the rewinding. Wouldn't this create two instances of Max at the same time? What if you are just seeing the real Max, and the one rewinding (aka the "Max" you are controlling) is actually Rachel? Like somehow she got into Max's body, and the rewind powers aren't even Max's, but instead belong to Rachel (similar to if you ever played the 3rd Birthday, Parasite Eve series, like the Aya and Eve switch). What if the rewind powers are Rachel setting Max onto the correct timeline to find herself?

Chloe said she saw that blue butterfly before, but Max took that shot before her and Chloe were back together. So where did she see the butterfly? In the William alive timeline, you put a butterfly on the fireplace which also got me thinking, what if the original timeline in the game actually isn't the original? If Chloe saw the butterfly before, then either Max took a picture of it long ago, Chloe saw a drawing/picture (Max?) left behind, or Rachel took the same picture (and now being in Max's body, she took it again as a way to show Chloe, hey its me!).

Frank = good, seems to actually love Rachel
Samuel = red herring
Nathan = same as Samuel, seemed surprised/happy when he thought Max was Rachel
Jefferson = seems good enough, turned down Victoria but seems to have a thing with Max and turning in the photo.
So what if she wasn't kidnapped/killed/etc. but is stuck inside of Max? The new timeline seems to have Max living like she were Rachel (in the vortex club, liked by everyone)

And all of those "holes to another universe". Possibly used by Rachel?

And Rachel's clothes fit Max (Chloe mentioned they were the same size) but her mother said Max had a style all her own...

I apologize if this is confusing or way off mark, but I can't help but think all the little things are very important. Any thoughts?? :nut:

Rome1992
22nd May 2015, 08:17
You have some pretty good points there. I really believe that Rachel is Max. Or Max is Rachel. I don't know if that was confusing. Lol. But i really believe they are connected with each other. But i also have a feeling that the 3 of them will never be together or anything. If Rachel will be discovered in episode 4. Max will disappear leaving chloe again.

AnimeSuperFan
22nd May 2015, 15:29
Well with how Max can use her powers in episode 3 is any indication, than we can expect ANYTHING to happen!

Alvare
22nd May 2015, 16:09
The developers already changed Rachel's eye color from hazel to blue. Pretty suspicious if you ask me.

Nightmare07
22nd May 2015, 18:24
Exactly Alvare lol. Like someone else said, the eyes are the windows to the soul...as in what I meant with Rachel's soul being trapped in Max for instance. Maybe the 'change' in color was a way of 'seeing into the soul'.

Alvare
22nd May 2015, 18:43
Rachel's soul being trapped in Max you say? More like Rachel being trapped in Chloe's mind. Although I don't think they've met in the other timeline.

Nightmare07
22nd May 2015, 22:57
Hmm... how do you mean trapped in Chloe's mind?

CoD-MW2
25th May 2015, 17:52
I didn't play the third episode due to the lack of the translation yet. But I am for some reason sure that the missing Rachel is and there is Chloe.

Tataboj
25th May 2015, 21:03
Maybe it sounds cruel, but I don't really want Rachel to be found. Well, I want Chloe to be happy, but won't then Chloe like Rachel more then me (oh, I mean Max :D) One of the reasons I love this game so much is the fact I got absolutely concurred with Max as you can see, we have identical feelings. And quite similar personality, I think.

To the toic: This theory is very interesting, but almost certainly won't happen. I mean, it's like spiritual, and it doesn't fit in what we've seen to this point, in my opinion. Oh God, Ep. 4 has to bring so many answers...

sinfulpledge
5th Jun 2015, 00:34
I didn't play the third episode due to the lack of the translation yet. But I am for some reason sure that the missing Rachel is and there is Chloe.

or mabey chloe is Rachel thts just her alter ego and shes really crazy she was really depressed when max left and she did say Rachel saved her life so mabey she changed her self into Rachel to better cope with max moving away

sinfulpledge
5th Jun 2015, 00:44
well Samuel did say the doe was ur sirit animal and his was a squirrel and I tend to see squirrels following me all the time so mabey hes watching out for us tht could be the spiritual connection some how or max is rahcel they tend to kinda fit each other and max does fit her clothes and the pictures in franks car she has brown hair not blonde like the missing person posters say so mabey it was max or mabey I was really chloehttp://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/5232fb875b0bc0b7ec2525e971000dbf.jpg also to me tht looks more brown and thts the photo in chloes room

zackdollars
5th Jun 2015, 03:49
If someone's soul is trapped in another body, that does not fit with the theme. Although there is a paranormal aspect, it is a scientific theme. "Time" is the governing force.

It would be like the ending of Mass Effect 3. ME3 was all science until the very end where a spirit boy was pulling all of the strings, and Shepard's spirit was the key to peace where his midichlorians tinted the universe a different color.

When Max alters time, she seems to be erased from existence until she stops altering it. Otherwise, she would duplicate herself. For example, Max is outside of the office, they blow up the door, Max walks into the office, reverses time, and the door shut. When Max opens the door, she does not see another Max outside of the office. Max exists on her own plane when altering time.\

Perhaps this plane is an eternal one. Maybe this is why she sees the doe. The doe exists on her plane of timelessness.

So, Rachel and Max are either the same person, or they are two different people. If they are the same person, they can never see each other. They might be sisters. Or, maybe Rachel is Max's mother?

Alvare
5th Jun 2015, 09:24
Hmm... how do you mean trapped in Chloe's mind?
Not literally. Metaphorically because Chloe can't stop thinking about Rachel.

meimeiriver
18th Jun 2015, 13:31
If someone's soul is trapped in another body, that does not fit with the theme. Although there is a paranormal aspect, it is a scientific theme. "Time" is the governing force.

Agreed. Souls being trapped/possession is an entirely different genre of games/movies. I'm not buying it.

When Max alters time, she seems to be erased from existence until she stops altering it. Otherwise, she would duplicate herself. For example, Max is outside of the office, they blow up the door, Max walks into the office, reverses time, and the door shut. When Max opens the door, she does not see another Max outside of the office. Max exists on her own plane when altering time.

Yes, Max "does not see another Max outside of the office" simply because she entered the door the regular way (using the pipe bomb); then, when inside, she simply reversed time to where the door hadn't been blown yet. Max herself does not revert to her old location during a rewind, of course (otherwise there'd be no point, LOL). That is simply a premiss of her power; a game mechanic, if you will.

I wouldn't call it "erased from existence", though. To everyone-not-Max she will simply appear to have dematerialized, and be magically re-emerged elsewhere, simply because her movement was 'outside time' to others, as it were.

So, Rachel and Max are either the same person, or they are two different people. If they are the same person, they can never see each other. They might be sisters. Or, maybe Rachel is Max's mother?

I just had a thought (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=156732) about that myself, today. :)