PDA

View Full Version : Elemental explanations + Rahab personality reference.

Vampmaster
18th May 2015, 14:21
At first I thought all the Bretheren would be in cocoons, them mutate and emerge. But then, thinking about it.. I thought, "how boring!"
So I called an audible, and decided to create this for Rahab. I imagine it would have started with him being burned by water, and drinking blood to heal. Being in a land with a lot of water, I'm sure he'd be somewhat bitter over the "land" he was given. Perhaps the humans who lived in the area found security by creating great waterfalls and moats, making him even more angry at their impudence. (They feel safe in MY LANDS, those cattle!)
So I imagine he'd start draining blood while exposing himself to water more and more. Casting Kain's water breathing and protection spells so often that they'd weave themselves into his being. Taking one of Kain's gifts and turning it into his entire being.. Kain could only resist water temporarily.. but what if Rahab could actually ADAPT to it! He'd be so powerful and valuable.. he and his kind could go places others never could.. not even Raziel! That kind of motivation and jealousy strikes true with me.
So he'd burn and heal, drink blood and immerse.. perhaps doing so at the same time (Telekinetically drinking) until the image I painted happened: The gills.. the GILLS! They symbolize his newfound power, one that he would present to Kain in court, to drive the others into jealousy and supplication to him. He'd move up the chain of value.. become Kain's favored for that decade.. maybe that century!
The pain didn't matter.. only success..

This is the most detailed reference to both Rahab's personality I'd been able to find outside of the games and it's also the closest match to the lore explanations that have been given for the recently released special attacks.

I've posted this outside of the Rahabim thread because it's less of a design idea and more of a character background and it would get lost inside such a massive thread.

I'd like to see this explanation elaborated upon in future lore entries. Obviously the one for the Rahabim class itself when released, but also when writing about vampire abilities as has been done with the attacks in the blog.
http://www.nosgoth.com/blog/nosgoth-s-new-chests-including-unique-unlocks-and-premium-skins

If vampires can weave certain elements into their own being, albeit to a lesser extent than Rahab and his clan did then it stands to reason that clans might have a personal preferences. It got be thinking how, since the Razielim have been described as dragon-like and now associated with icy attacks, maybe they could have an icy breath attack or something. That would certainly resemble a dragon breathing fire.

Or maybe not, it's just one idea. It could be on the other hand have been that apart from the Rahabim who would have dedicated themselves to this practice, it might only have been certain elders or elite warriors who decided to master the elements.

Edit: Regarding Rahab's territory:

Hi gang,

yes those are Turelim designs in the Abbey. We had implied that there were 'turf wars' between clans where areas claimed by one group were invaded/supplanted by another. In this case the Rahabim flooded areas they wanted to claim, and forced Turelim out of the area. The Turelim took the area from the humans who designed the chapel of light, and in turn the Rahabim took it from them.
Look for signs of clans exchanging hands. :)
We left the boat an ambiguous area and hand't really worked out if it was human or Rahabim.
The relationship of the clan leaders was complex, with each vying for favor with Kain, dominance over the others, and using alliances where necessary to strengthen position. Zephon and Rahab could very well have been allies, with Zephon constantly scheming and creating webs of lies, and Rahab seeing through some of it, yet knowing he was better off playing along as an ally until he didn't need Zephon. Remember the bretheren were allies for many many decades, so their relationship was always in flux, ebbing and flowing in power over time.

If the abbey is to be included in Nosgoth, the above information would suggest that it hasn't been drowned at this point. The Elder God says it was once a sanctuary against the vampire menace (I might be paraphrasing there). Judging from that and the above statement it would make the most sense that it was constructed by humans and occupied by the Turelim for a time until at some point in the war for Nosgoth, the humans flooded it. The Rahabim would have moved in afterwards.

This also means that they would have had a different home at this point in time.

EDIT 2:
On second thoughts, maybe it was the Rahabim themselves who drowned it, although it's hard to when that would have happened. Maybe given that the statues already had big Turelim ears, that would make it later rather than sooner. Also, given the issues with making a watery map, it's probably for the best to assume such.

Rahab was a confidant, and knowing his clan's territory was secure, he likewise knew that he could not hold any territory away from water. He held back as well, letting the main conflict with the Turelim and Dumahim play out, as well as keeping a healthy eye on the Melchiahim. The secrets he holds proving useful for his Rahabim ambushers. He also sought to expand his territory by flooding areas with dams, lockes, and destroying dikes.

References:
http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=648#p2542
http://www.dcabdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1579

Khalith
18th May 2015, 16:19
Good find, I never even noticed it in that thread. Though his explanation also gives me the thought of a Rahabim inspired map. It creates an interesting opportunity for the humans, the other vampire clans less inclined to go to a water filled area and as such the humans take that chance to attack Rahab and his brood. If the humans could wipe out that largely isolated clan, then controlling Rahab's water filled strongholds could present a very valuable base of operations that would make a vampiric conquest near impossible.

That would be awesome, a Rahabim themed map released with the Rahabim class. I know it will probably never happen but I can dream right? :p

Vampmaster
18th May 2015, 16:40
Good find, I never even noticed it in that thread. Though his explanation also gives me the thought of a Rahabim inspired map. It creates an interesting opportunity for the humans, the other vampire clans less inclined to go to a water filled area and as such the humans take that chance to attack Rahab and his brood. If the humans could wipe out that largely isolated clan, then controlling Rahab's water filled strongholds could present a very valuable base of operations that would make a vampiric conquest near impossible.

That would be awesome, a Rahabim themed map released with the Rahabim class. I know it will probably never happen but I can dream right? :p

The developers have already a water filled map would be impractical as the advantage to the Rahabim and humans would be too great. However see the edit I've added to my first post regarding the drowned abbey.

Ygdrasel
18th May 2015, 18:27
The cocoons may be "boring" but we do see the Rahabim explicitly in cocoons...So sorry, Danny, but that happened either way. XD

I don't much care for the Razielim being associated with ice. Should be a fire breath thing. Though more lore about the special stuff would be great.

If the Rahabim are to have a pre-Abbey territory, why not the ruins of Vorador's place in the Termogent Forest? The swamp would suit their inclinations to overcome that particular weakness, and include Vorador. :) Or if we're going for the Abbey pre-Rahab (thus pre-drowning), it could have some interesting signs of the clans' territory battles...

Vampmaster
18th May 2015, 18:58
The cocoons may be "boring" but we do see the Rahabim explicitly in cocoons...So sorry, Danny, but that happened either way. XD

I don't much care for the Razielim being associated with ice. Should be a fire breath thing. Though more lore about the special stuff would be great.

If the Rahabim are to have a pre-Abbey territory, why not the ruins of Vorador's place in the Termogent Forest? The swamp would suit their inclinations to overcome that particular weakness, and include Vorador. :) Or if we're going for the Abbey pre-Rahab (thus pre-drowning), it could have some interesting signs of the clans' territory battles...

I'm sure he didn't forget about the coccoons that were in the game. Maybe those were a different thing like just for sleeping or he meant the clan leaders pupate differently from the rest. You can always ask him.

The ice thing was just an idea. Not something I care much about.

Termogent forest and ruins of Vorador's mansion are things I'd love to see. The forest would be dying or dead at this point (because of the pillars effect on the land), forcing the Rahabim to look for new turf in darker places.

Ygdrasel
18th May 2015, 19:17
The forest would be dying or dead at this point (because of the pillars effect on the land), forcing the Rahabim to look for new turf in darker places.

Darker places? Isn't the sun practically gone by now anyway? Though a dead forest just doesn't offer enough cover for a wartime home either way. There's certainly room for it however they explain. (Off-hand thought: Perhaps one of the higher-up Rahabim could turn out to be the eventually-desecrated corpse of an old friend of Vorador's (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Vorador%27s_mystery_woman) to explain how they were led to the Termogent in the first place. Not an idea I care about immensely, just off the top of my head...)

As far as the elemental stuff and FX, I do love the idea that some vampires force their evolutions to naturally incorporate elemental aspects as opposed to using magic or concoctions for it. They're vampires, after all, not wizards and alchemists. (Not that any of those are mutually exclusive but still...)

Vampmaster
18th May 2015, 19:46
Darker places? Isn't the sun practically gone by now anyway? Though a dead forest just doesn't offer enough cover for a wartime home either way. There's certainly room for it however they explain. (Off-hand thought: Perhaps one of the higher-up Rahabim could turn out to be the eventually-desecrated corpse of an old friend of Vorador's (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Vorador%27s_mystery_woman) to explain how they were led to the Termogent in the first place. Not an idea I care about immensely, just off the top of my head...)

As far as the elemental stuff and FX, I do love the idea that some vampires force their evolutions to naturally incorporate elemental aspects as opposed to using magic or concoctions for it. They're vampires, after all, not wizards and alchemists. (Not that any of those are mutually exclusive but still...)

The there's no direct sunlight, but there's enough to know it's daytime like on a very cloudy day. SR1 is full what can only be gaps in the clouds where a shaft of sunlight gets through, which Raziel is able to thow vampires into. Rahab himself is eventually defeated using sunlight. The eclipse was never part of the previous games. There's no explanation for that been given, however every part of Dead Sun's plot have been erradicated from Nosgoth's lore, so the sun isn't dying or anything like that.

According to what Daniel was saying they used the spells so frequently that it effected their bodies. I don't think the details have ever been explained, but it's always been implied that their minds bodies and souls are all connected.

RainaAudron
18th May 2015, 22:40
Darker places? Isn't the sun practically gone by now anyway? Though a dead forest just doesn't offer enough cover for a wartime home either way. There's certainly room for it however they explain.
As vampmaster said, the sun isn´t fully gone - we can see that the fledglings still get burnt outside in SR1.

(Off-hand thought: Perhaps one of the higher-up Rahabim could turn out to be the eventually-desecrated corpse of an old friend of Vorador's to explain how they were led to the Termogent in the first place. Not an idea I care about immensely, just off the top of my head...)
Ugh...no, that does not belong in this era.

Ygdrasel
19th May 2015, 03:41
As vampmaster said, the sun isn´t fully gone - we can see that the fledglings still get burnt outside in SR1.

Ugh...no, that does not belong in this era.

"That" being...A bunch of dead trees or a preserved corpse raised up as a vampire? Because one exists in the Crucible (at the least) and the other is the very foundation of Kain's empire. :scratch:

Khalith
19th May 2015, 04:04
The developers have already a water filled map would be impractical as the advantage to the Rahabim and humans would be too great. However see the edit I've added to my first post regarding the drowned abbey.

I wasn't talking about a map involving swimming or anything like that. I was thinking more along the lines of Venice, lots of canals, waterways, etc. running beneath the map or through certain areas without anyone actually being able to go in to the water outside of a sentinel getting knocked out of the sky! That's what I meant by a "water-based" map.

RainaAudron
19th May 2015, 10:11
"That" being...A bunch of dead trees or a preserved corpse raised up as a vampire? Because one exists in the Crucible (at the least) and the other is the very foundation of Kain's empire. :scratch:

To bring Vorador´s woman in here would be totally random and inappropriate.

Vampmaster
19th May 2015, 13:00
I wasn't talking about a map involving swimming or anything like that. I was thinking more along the lines of Venice, lots of canals, waterways, etc. running beneath the map or through certain areas without anyone actually being able to go in to the water outside of a sentinel getting knocked out of the sky! That's what I meant by a "water-based" map.

I think both the Termogent Forest swamp and the Undercity reservoirs would be suitable locations for that. There were a number of Rahabim in SR1 who'd found their way into the lower levels of the human citadel through it's water system.

Sanguise23
19th May 2015, 13:32

I dont think DC meant they wouldnt have cocoons, i think he meant they evolved in ways apart from the cocoon pupation that's why he goes on to describe drinking blood while exposing themselves to water