PDA

View Full Version : Is matchmaking getting patched?

ParadoxicalOmen
18th May 2015, 01:49
Ok...so, i've been seeing a lot of people complaining here about how long matchmaking is taking.
One person i remember even posted his/her stats. It was quite shocking, it was about 100h of playing time, and 300h of waiting time (400h total).

I personally have been playing Nosgoth less and less because, even though i really like this game, i don't want to be waiting 15-40 minutes for 1 match....the wait time is absurd.

I saw that the devs are implementing ranked matches (aka "Leagues")...is this some form of fix?
Basically i'm asking if the devs are aware of this issue...and if there is some form of fix/patch on the way?

If a kind soul could shed some light on this matter.

Ghosthree3
18th May 2015, 03:10
Ranked matches is not a fix, if anything it'll make searching for games take longer because the community will be divided between the two queues.

I doubt there's any patch on the way, there's really nothing they can do to help a player base this small except remove MMR based MM altogether and just throw anyone they can find together. Then again if people start getting matches instantly because of that then they might be less inclined to quit mid-stomp anyway, because they're playing all the time and there's always next game.

riccetto80
18th May 2015, 08:22
NOPE!

the MM is what it is, sincerely i miss the old bugged steam one, at least i was matched with people close to my level, the new one is totally random.

Oldage69
18th May 2015, 13:30
Please Devs! This, more than anything else!

Enough with the new skins/chests whatever. FIX MATCHMAKING!
I spend probably as much time queuing for a match as I do playing one. Then once I'm in a game, half the time the game is wildly unbalanced; matches ending 60:10 are not uncommon. :(

Khalith
18th May 2015, 16:21
Enough with the new skins/chests whatever. FIX MATCHMAKING!

This doesn't make sense. The people drawing and animating the skins are not the same people that are working on the matchmaking nor are they going to stop what they're doing for that, otherwise you'd have a bunch of artists and animators sitting around doing nothing.

I understand your sentiment though.

Ygdrasel
18th May 2015, 18:29
I play one, maybe two matches a day now. The wait is just ridiculous.

ParadoxicalOmen
18th May 2015, 20:47
This doesn't make sense. The people drawing and animating the skins are not the same people that are working on the matchmaking nor are they going to stop what they're doing for that, otherwise you'd have a bunch of artists and animators sitting around doing nothing.

I understand your sentiment though.

Indeed...there is a team for design, and a team for performance/optimizations...So you can't simply get the people that make skins and chests and tell them to fix Match-making...

I play one, maybe two matches a day now. The wait is just ridiculous.

Yeah, same here...it's taking too much effort and patience to simply play the game.
It doesn't matter making the game interesting and attractive if we can't play it in the end...

I was really hoping for some response from the devs that they are aware and trying to fix this...

Oldage69
19th May 2015, 13:35
Indeed...there is a team for design, and a team for performance/optimizations...So you can't simply get the people that make skins and chests and tell them to fix Match-making...

If there are multiple teams, have them work together to fix match making.

The way I see it, matchmaking will make or break this game.
Why would I or other gamers bother playing if we constantly have to wait 10minutes + to find a server and then once in a game find it ridiculously 1 sided.

I see almost no point in working on chests, skins, executions or other minor features while it remains broken.

TheZelaron
19th May 2015, 13:53
There's a simple way to improve matchmaking: Create a serverbrowser. Probably the oldest, but still best, way to allow users to join a server. Let them filter by maps/gamemodes/size etc.

Random matchmaking has always been annoying.

Khalith
19th May 2015, 14:36

I see almost no point in working on chests, skins, executions or other minor features while it remains broken.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in having the artists and animators work on matchmaking as they aren't there to write code for the matchmaking or work on the systems related to it. Them drawing and animating new skins in no way stops or slows down the programmers from working on the matchmaking system.

Oldage69
20th May 2015, 10:45
There's a simple way to improve matchmaking: Create a serverbrowser. Probably the oldest, but still best, way to allow users to join a server. Let them filter by maps/gamemodes/size etc.

Random matchmaking has always been annoying.

Yep, even Left 4 Dead allowed access to the server console if you really wanted it, at the very lease they need to implement game filters in the lobby like they did in l4d2. It made it easier and far less annoying to find a game.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in having the artists and animators work on matchmaking as they aren't there to write code for the matchmaking or work on the systems related to it. Them drawing and animating new skins in no way stops or slows down the programmers from working on the matchmaking system.

My point is that without good matchmaking this game is a turd. Employing designers/coders/animators to make cosmetic things like chests or trading cards is in my eyes akin to polishing said turd. If they want to employ people do that while a core piece of gameplay is broken then be my guest; but in my opinion that money could be better spent employing someone who can fine tune the gameplay.

Melhkiarem
20th May 2015, 16:27
Well if I resume, we have the choice between* :
- Be raped online
or
- Die waiting for a game

Of course a balance of each will be perfection but eh, nobody is perfect.
I just played 90 hours on this game and well, it's **** awesome. Indeed, sometimes we face PGM and just one guy can rip off the enemy team alone. Yes this guy need to play with other dudes like him but it happen not so often.

But being forced to wait so long to play ? Well I think it's worse.
The leagues are coming and with it, the MM. Be patient, easy to say I know, but this time, the choice is not ours.

* : just sarcasm

PencileyePirate
20th May 2015, 18:39
It's 2:30 PM EST and I just sat in the 'Any' queue for 5 minutes while steam-charts says there's 1,245 players online.

I guess I'll go play something that has a server browser.

Cristari
20th May 2015, 19:01
I really don't have a issue with matchmaking. Nosgoth tells me I have played 973 matches and Steam tells me I have 400Hrs game time played. When I joined Steam was introduced shortly afterword. |If you work that out that isn't a lot of queuing time at all. To be honest I think it may be down to the server you are playing on and the time of day.

Oldage69
21st May 2015, 10:36
I really don't have a issue with matchmaking. Nosgoth tells me I have played 973 matches and Steam tells me I have 400Hrs game time played. When I joined Steam was introduced shortly afterword. |If you work that out that isn't a lot of queuing time at all. To be honest I think it may be down to the server you are playing on and the time of day.

Playing in Australia/Oceania in "prime time" 6pm-midnight, regularly waiting 10mins to find a lobby and then another 5 for it to fill up with players.

Last night my friend and i had a 2 player party and it took nearly 30 minutes for the MM service to find us a game to join. After a few minutes of waiting i ended up alt-tabbing out of Nosgoth and playing TF2 just to pass the time while Nosgoth matchmaking found us a game to play (which is pretty damn bad when you think about it,). It eventually found us a match and we ended up having 2 very good games in a row. But as if to prove my point in the lobby between games some of the others players practically begged the others not to leave just so we didn't have to go through the waiting process again...

According to steam I've played 238 hrs and according to my Nosgoth profile I've played 514 games. By my math that 514 games is about ~10k minutes or 171hrs which means for about 67 hrs it doing a lot of nothing. Even if you account for me idling on the menus or forgetting to log out when i go to lunch etc that's still a crapload of time to be wasted.

Ghosthree3
21st May 2015, 20:51
By my math that 514 games is about ~10k minutes or 171hrs which means for about 67 hrs it doing a lot of nothing.
The in game profile will tell you specifically how much time you've spent playing. Actually playing, not having the game open.

Ygdrasel
22nd May 2015, 03:33

The teams can't just "work together to fix matchmaking" because one of those teams consists of art people and their skillset is not built toward programming matchmaking systems.

I've been bailing out of the matchmaking screen lately to just give up and play Payday 2. No troubles filling a game at all there. Maybe I'll take a look at my time stats for Nosgoth...

Ghosthree3
22nd May 2015, 03:41
#removematchmakingrestrictions

For faster queues!

ParadoxicalOmen
22nd May 2015, 11:45
I decided to also put my stats:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/play_vs_wait.png?_subject_uid=209245286&w=AADOPPnn3msYpE8Hdmzj5-2eNeYU98waScr5fh8Lt_mE7g

So...playing time = 10 days + almost 7h = 247h
Time running Nosgoth = 487h

Waiting time = 487 - 274 = 240h

Roughly 240 hours of just **** waiting :mad2: