PDA

View Full Version : DX:THE FALL - Continuation of story

Falconer084
10th May 2015, 12:16
Would you like to see the characters of The Fall make an appearance in Mankind Divided? Personally with the extremely low chance of seeing The Fall Part 2 I would love to see and possibly help them in the game.
http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/mig/6/0/6/6/2046066-717915_20130710_005.jpg

Bridgetkfisher
14th May 2015, 05:39
No I would not like "The Fall" to be mixed with the main game. I really hope they someday return to this game, the characters and story were great. Id hate to see them become some kind of side story with no story of their own to tell. They only made one episode if they made more like alot of things it would catch on I feel because its a solid addition to the universe of Deus Ex.

Irate_Iguana
14th May 2015, 11:18
Not unless they receive a hell of a lot more ingame information on who they are. One of the major things that annoyed me about HR was that the bosses weren't given any kind of character info because they were already mentioned in other material. I don't give a **** if they were already seen in books and comics. I'm buying and playing a videogame. I expect all necessary information to be in said game. I don't want to have to buy a tapestry to figure out who the enemy is.

Bridgetkfisher
15th May 2015, 05:36
Not unless they receive a hell of a lot more ingame information on who they are. One of the major things that annoyed me about HR was that the bosses weren't given any kind of character info because they were already mentioned in other material. I don't give a **** if they were already seen in books and comics. I'm buying and playing a videogame. I expect all necessary information to be in said game. I don't want to have to buy a tapestry to figure out who the enemy is.

Yes I also feel as a player I dont like to feel left out so please use material that is in outside sources to help the characters come to life in the game so we can enjoy more of what we like about the game really feeling immersed in the world of deus ex.

Falconer084
17th May 2015, 05:07
They could still return. It could just be helping them on their way.

DaedalusIcarusHelios
20th May 2015, 18:48
I'd like to see some kind of crossing of paths, which could be a nexus point in which a sequel to The Fall could take place. I imagine that Jensen and Saxon cross paths due to their own separate investigations and perhaps from a mutual friend. They could maybe share info and then each split up for separate missions that lead to the greater cause. In game, it could be assumed at some point that Saxon was successful which affects what story for Jensen. That mission (and beyond) could make up another game that the player gets to play as Saxon. Because of the character change, it'd make more sense as to why it wouldn't be included in the main game.

Jonbre
22nd Jul 2015, 03:34
Hey, everyone! I'm excited to be a new member of this community.

I am currently playing through the iOS version of Deus Ex: the Fall, and I noticed that it says that the "story will be continued," but the game was released in 2013, correct? Has there been a "continuation" that I've missed?

I really enjoyed "the Icarus Effect" and I really like the characters of Agent Kelso and Ben Saxon.

Does anyone know anything about whether or not their story will be continued or if another tablet-based game is slated to happen?

Any and all info would be appreciated!

Thank you, everyone!

Shralla
23rd Jul 2015, 22:35
The game sucked and flopped and so they're pretending it never happened.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jul 2015, 23:28
Sorry it sucked/flopped for you (I thought you said way back you didn't play it? ). The reviews appear to be a mixed bag so I guess others were happy.
I haven't played it myself so can't offer my personal opinion.

__

Hey Jonbre, welcome to the forum. :wave:
Perhaps our CM can answer your questions if he catches this thread. :thumb:

handgriffsorgfaeltig
24th Jul 2015, 09:13
i read 'ICARUS EFFECT' as soon as it hit the shelves, and i think it is a nice addition to the storyline...
i played the 'the Fall Gamescom Demo' on iOS and didn't like the controls at all, but that is just my personal preference...
i played 'the Fall' on PC and yes, it's like a 'light' version of HR and a bumpy ride at first, but i got used to it and could enjoy it...
+ bonus: i could 'talk' to Fedorova again <3 ^^...

but of course mistakes were made...open up to the apple userbase was a nice gesture, but it should have been a simultaneous launch to/ on all platforms...the gap between the releases did not do any good for the game...even worse it hurt some feelings...the bugs aside, at least the PC port could have 'looked' nicer...

-> 'to be continued'

the strategy failed...the absence of a second book by James or any sign of another episode of 'the Fall' speaks volumes...one can only hope the project was put on ice for the moment and will reappear with some adjustments in all areas...

it is just painful to watch this endeavour; i am not the only one here to be interested in exploring further regions/ chapters of the story...

if there is any pressure from 'above' to push out a 'make a quick buck challenge'; just release DX:HD ( Human Defiance) already - everybody and their dog would throw money at it...not kidding!

@Jonbre ...patience is virtue...maybe (if all stars align) we'll see the next episode coupled with DX:MD ^^...

http://i.imgur.com/c1qWUB1.jpg

Jonbre
29th Jul 2015, 03:18
Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I am really hoping that the stories of Agent Kelso and Ben Saxon will continue in some form.

We know that James Swallow is writing the next Deus Ex book (which is fantastic - he's an incredible author),
so at the very least, perhaps we'll get a chapter or two on what happened to this pair.

Does anyone know if Rihanna's likeness was offically used for Federova, or is it just a coincedence?

I thought the "go away" wave-off she gives Saxon in the Fall is pretty funny - especially considering their history (in the Icarus Effect).

I can't wait for Mankind Divided! I'm really hoping that there will be more mobile Deus Ex games coming, as well!

handgriffsorgfaeltig
29th Jul 2015, 07:10

Does anyone know if Rihanna's likeness was offically used for Federova, or is it just a coincedence?

Most people expect Rihanna to be the source for Fedorovas design, but she is not; it is the singer, dancer and model Cassie Ventura (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassie_Ventura) !

http://cdn.mommynoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/www.eroglamour.com-9-cassie-ventura-643x430.jpg

I thought the "go away" wave-off she gives Saxon in the Fall is pretty funny - especially considering their history (in the Icarus Effect).

indeed ^^ ...with a 'grain' of luck, we'll see more of Fedorovas backstory or insights in future narratives...

JMSwallow
30th Jul 2015, 10:36
Thanks Jonbre & handgriffsorgfaeltig, glad you liked Icarus Effect and The Fall! :thumb:

As well as doing some work on Mankind Divided, I'm writing a new Deus Ex tie-in novel that'll bridge the gap between the new game narrative and Human Revolution, although it's centered on Adam Jensen's character. Certainly, if the opportunity arises, it would be cool to revisit Ben Saxon and Anna Kelso in a future book/game/comic...

Jonbre
31st Jul 2015, 02:13
Wow! I can't believe we got a response from the man himself, Mr. James Swallow!!

Thanks for all your hard work, Mr. Swallow! Your stories rock! (I just finished Fallen Angel - it was great to see Malik's background fleshed out!).

I can't wait for the new novel!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Jul 2015, 13:42
I thought the "go away" wave-off she gives Saxon in the Fall is pretty funny....

OMG, yeah, I so love that scene. :D

BridgetFisher
25th Aug 2015, 03:31
It is true the game flopped? Cheaply made but alot of hard work, I enjoyed it very much. The characters and world were very well done a first in many ways for the level of technology. It would be great to see more of that teams work to see what they could do with it. As a fan of the Fall and the team who made it, Id support seeing the story continue in some form. Hard to believe mobile was so expensive they couldnt just make more?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Aug 2015, 10:00
It is true the game flopped?
Are you asking Shralla? :D
Its only his personal opinion - even though he never even played the game (afaik).

A look at reviews suggest that the game did not flop but it could have done better. For example:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/deus-ex-the-fall

PugPug
25th Aug 2015, 16:27
Wikipedia says (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex:_The_Fall#Reception) The Fall was decent on mobile but they did nothing to make controls more PC-friendly for the port, and that made it terribad as a PC game. PC Gamer's reviewer called it "truly one of the worst PC ports I’ve played in some time."

If it flopped on mobile, that might be because paid games don't do that well on mobile no matter what they are. Which is dumb because they are a much better experience than F2P, but that's the way it is.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Aug 2015, 20:34
A good point made there. Count me as one of those people who has little interest in mobile gaming. :whistle:

Pocket Gamer (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Deus+Ex%3A+The+Fall/review.asp?c=52256) states The Fall is "a solid, hugely entertaining game that sits amongst the very best FPSs you can play on your iPad or iPhone", despite the flaws.
I guess satisfaction is always going to come down to individual experience.

68_pie
25th Aug 2015, 20:44
If it had been a financial success there would have been a sequel, yes? Especially considering the tease for second one.

Ergo, it didn't make money.

Mediocre (and in video games, mediocre tends to equal bad) reviews...

Flopped isn't the worst way to describe it.

CheriSock
29th Aug 2015, 14:43
With the whole Deus Ex Universe thing opening up, it would be a surprise if we didn't get more on the duo's story in the future.

Shralla
29th Aug 2015, 16:19
Are you asking Shralla? :D
Its only his personal opinion - even though he never even played the game (afaik).

A look at reviews suggest that the game did not flop but it could have done better. For example:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/deus-ex-the-fall

You are aware that "flop" is a quantitative term? Not a qualitative one? It flopping is not my opinion because it is a fact that it sold like a pile of ****.

Also it's funny that you think that a 4.5 user score means it "could have done better." No, that means it sucked. It also got a 45 critic score on PC, where it got a 2.8 user score. Those scores are in red for a reason, and it's because the game is not good. I don't need to spend my money to play a game that I had predicted the fate of before it even came out, and it's a pretty solid consensus all around that the game is not good.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
29th Aug 2015, 17:10
Its more funny that you think I think the way you think I think. :D

I said the reviews appear to be a mix bag. Some appear to dislike the game and others really like it.
The common issue I've read about seems to be in the clunky control system.

Lolssi
23rd Sep 2015, 11:11
Bought the game couple of weeks ago for pc. After 15mins I had small headache and was starting feel nausiated :(
Doesn't really wanna make me go back which is a shame since I liked the book and would love to know how the story continues.

Diviner
23rd Sep 2015, 17:34
I bought the game on a steam sale and these were the best 2.5$ I had ever spent.
Loved the story and the return to the DX:HR world, yet it could have been better ported to PC.
I sure hope that there will be a sequel, it's such a rich story, it'd be a pity not to finish it.

I also hear of people saying they had headache once playing the game, I never had such issues - It might be related either to refresh rates or to anti-aliasing, try playing with the settings of the game and the external settings of the GPU (I forced maximum AA externally).

Shralla
23rd Sep 2015, 22:27
I bought the original Deus Ex for $2.49.

In all likelihood the headaches and nausea are due to a small FOV with no way to adjust it.

Diviner
24th Sep 2015, 07:54
In all likelihood the headaches and nausea are due to a small FOV with no way to adjust it.

My screen at the time was Eizo S2000 which is 16:12 (I used it for the last 10 years), so maybe I was used to the small FOV.

Anyway, games are not developed in the scale of months - so either someone is currently working on the sequel as we speak (without even hinting) or we are going to wait for a long time to to see it...

Lolssi
5th Oct 2015, 07:25
I also hear of people saying they had headache once playing the game, I never had such issues - It might be related either to refresh rates or to anti-aliasing, try playing with the settings of the game and the external settings of the GPU (I forced maximum AA externally).
Thanks for this! I dropped the AA and it helped.
Yeah game had same issues that HR had and list of other issues because of the mobile port. I can't figure why they think I'd wanna play Deus Ex on mobile...
Anyways it still had the Deus Ex feeling, exploration, missions and nice story (what little there was). Unfortunately once again it pretty much required you'd read Icarus Effect.
But all in all better than your average game...or at least more fun.

Recyclop
14th Oct 2015, 10:38
Maybe the game is not as good as we would like, but I really would like to know the continuing story of Ben and Anna.

I would like to know the end of the story of Ben and Anna in "Mankind Divided" or in another stand alone game.
I want to know why Sam Duarte wants to kill Ben.