PDA

View Full Version : USER INTERFACE Voice commands

MakaHost
22nd Oct 2013, 21:14
Hey,

After my first test-session today my overall feeling of the game is pretty good and I think in order to play well, you have to play as a team.
However, with the Voice-Chat not yet as functional as it probably will be in the end-release (audio-slider, push-to-talk etc) and to give players who don't like to communicate through voice-chat a better chance, I think Quick-Command Keys would be a great addition to the game.

The basic idea is to press a button so your teammates know what you are up to.
For example, as a human you could have a "I need health"-Key (for example on F1), which will indicate a health-sign above your head, so your teammates know you will be heading for the next Health-Station and they might want to follow you/protect you while you are healing.

Other options would be for example a "Follow me!"/"Help!" (for humans) or "Attack!" (for vampires, to synchronize attacks) Commands.

I bet there are plenty of other things that would benefit from it.
What do you guys think about the idea? Or do you maybe know an example yourself?

Psyonix_Corey
22nd Oct 2013, 21:19
This is something we'd like to do. Unfortunately there wasn't time to record these lines in our initial VO sessions with the actors, but it's a priority if we're able to do another run.

MakaHost
22nd Oct 2013, 21:32
Good to know, looking forward to test it!

JanusDominus
5th Dec 2013, 23:28
You know, a la Counter-Strike or Team Fortress. You push a key, like C and a list of commands appears, push another one and your team hears the command. Would help a lot with coordinating teams. I mentioned it in my feedback thread, but I'm putting it in a separate thread so it gets noticed and also so people could say what they think about the idea.

Jericho281
8th Feb 2014, 17:10
Hi everyone!:wave:sry for my bad eng,i wanna asked about commands like in Call of duty for example when u pressing some button and u have some standart commands like "Help me" or "enemy here" because in battle when u see enemy and u need call ur teamates,or like in Dota 2 u clicking on the map and everyone one can see it and hear, and question, do u planing do somethig like this? because players dont have enough time to massage and font in chat very small ppl dont have attention in battle on this,sry if that already asked before me.:)

Monkeythumbz
10th Feb 2014, 22:52
Moving to private Closed Alpha forums (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99).

darktemplar99
6th Apr 2014, 23:38
I really think a problem that vampires face in regular matchmaking is the ability to quickly tell the other vampires to initiate. I know that voice chat should be able to solve this, but this is another option to help coordinate your team. I think a simple ping sound with a visual to other allies would help.

Tureil
7th Apr 2014, 03:21
How's the voice chat working now? Patched up? Because this should, frankly be all you need, plus a quick typed "NOW!" in team chat as insurance (has team chat been fixed yet? I dont even use it anymore)

Viridian24
7th Apr 2014, 04:08
Team chat works now, but I mute anyone who uses it xD
I just hate the sound of peoples' voices that I'm unfamiliar with in-game, I just find it annoying and disruptive. Especially when someone's mic is blasty because they don't know how to set the levels on it. I have surround sound, so the ambiance of the game sounds amazing. It's ruined by random nasaly voices lol

A well-made ping or alert system would be cool, though. Especially when/if more objective-based modes come out. I've never actually been able to get in a Siege game, but I assume it would be helpful there.

Tureil
7th Apr 2014, 04:52
Team chat works now, but I mute anyone who uses it xD

I'm glad for your surround system but congratulations for severing yourself from your team. In a team-based game.

Where it's quicker to use the now fixed voice chat system than to type out "Here's a corpse."

Because a handful of people ruin the sound of fires and manly grunting in your ears.

Viridian24
7th Apr 2014, 07:51
I'm glad for your surround system but congratulations for severing yourself from your team. In a team-based game.

Where it's quicker to use the now fixed voice chat system than to type out "Here's a corpse."

Because a handful of people ruin the sound of fires and manly grunting in your ears.

I'm not "severing myself from my team," I'm closing one line of communication that's rarely used, anyway. We all enjoy playing the game for own reasons, in our own ways, and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm a casual player. You really shouldn't be offended by my preferences. In the end of the day, it's a game. I'm not going to put up with something in the game I don't like just because you say I should. Deal with it. lol

RainaAudron
7th Apr 2014, 10:03

I don't agree - you can just as well communicate by using the keyboard. Viridian has a point, I too won't use a mic with people I don't know and I prefer others would do the same, otherwise I find it intrusive.

NemesisR5
7th Apr 2014, 14:04
I hope there will be a Chat Wheel like in dota 2, I am not saying it's better than voice chat but it can be very good for people don't use voice chat.

Chat Wheel (http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Chat_Wheel)

Calverp
7th Apr 2014, 14:36
Yeah, simple voice command binds would be nice: Attack, Retreat, Incoming, Follow Me etc

Tureil
8th Apr 2014, 01:56
I don't agree - you can just as well communicate by using the keyboard. Viridian has a point, I too won't use a mic with people I don't know and I prefer others would do the same, otherwise I find it intrusive.

In the heat of battle, if you're stopping to use a keyboard, you deserve to get mauled, or let a teammate die. Typing out "Look out, (name), to your left!" from a distance (where you yourself can't effectively ward off the threat) will just potentially let your teammate get blindsided. Voice chat gives him a chance.

I'm just giving my opinion as you're entitled to yours...I feel you're not going to be as effective. If you don't wish to use it I won't brow-beat you further over it.

Razihel2
8th Apr 2014, 04:40
please for the love of god make it ! just like it was in unreal:

pres v -> drop down menu

1: going in 5 sec
2: enemy spotted
3: need heal station/need body to heal

with this 3 simple announcement we can coordinate everything in a heat of battle. It shouldn't be that hard to do. The only thing would be voices but you can just make some test voices for now. Just let your 5 year old daughters speak this lines in a micro :D

PencileyePirate
8th Apr 2014, 22:32
... you can just as well communicate by using the keyboard.

I completely disagree. In my experience, trying to type something to a teammate isn't quick enough (they'll move too far away) or gets you type-killed. I personally prefer using voice-chat, but since there are so many people out there who will auto-mute teammates in a team game (:nut:), hot-key voice commands are still a feature I'd like to see.

P.S. I type > 90wpm, so typing speed is not the cause.

Arnaos
8th Jul 2014, 18:49
Hi all
I have an idea in my mind, and I wanted to share it, it's about having voice commands.
For example you hit the Keyboard hotkey "Z" and it opens a list of commands that your character can say. For example in this list is shown"1.Take them down .2 Laugh .3 Scream 4. For Nosgoth 5. They are here 6. Fight 'Em back 7. Run for your lives. So when you hit "Z" button for example and this list of commands appears you can hit on your keyboard the number 2 and will make your character laugh, hit number 3 and will make your character scream or hit number 7 and will make your character say "Run for your lives", the commands "Take them down" and "Laugh" could be available only to Vampires, but the commands from 3 to 7 could be available only to humans, I think they are more appropriate for Humans while the first two are good enough for Vampires. And the laugh for example can be made to be heard by the human players, so that will make the Vampires more scary, when for example you make your Vampire laugh while you are hidden behind a wall to be heard by your enemy (Human) so that you make that player wondering where that laugh came from. :D
Well that is the idea I wanted to share, tell me what do you guys think? :)

Vampmaster
8th Jul 2014, 19:01
It's been suggested before, but it's still a good idea. There are dozens of spare keys on the keyboard as well, that the commands could be mapoed to individually to save the time of going into a menu.

Arnaos
8th Jul 2014, 19:04
It's been suggested before, but it's still a good idea. There are dozens of spare keys on the keyboard as well, that the commands could be mapoed to individually to save the time of going into a menu.

Yea they can be mapped from F1-F7. :)

Connatic
9th Jul 2014, 21:02
I think Smite has done it best. It has very robust voice command setup and I would encourage ALL multilayer games to try and implement it in some way. I know it would require more voice acting, but It's a great option to have. Some folks don't have mics or are unable to talk for other reasons (wife/baby sleeping in the next room). Any extra communication mechanics is always helpful for a solo queue game.

daftendirektor
8th Aug 2014, 20:41
Hello

After a quick search, I didn't find a thread on this matter so here goes. [Edit. Okay so apparently there was a thread for this and a mod moved my post here. Well anyways I'll leave this here for everyone to read. You should especially read the second part, as there's more than just voice commands]

A voice command system in Nosgoth would be a very useful feature.

I have played a few hours with my three other friends in a group while using a voice chat in background. We had one of each classes and because of our chatter we were able to coordinate highly effective attacks on humans as vampires and as humans we could retaliate any attack on us.
This lead to us decimating the enemy team every round and we won every time, unless the enemy team consisted of higher ranked players. We just splitted up the enemy team and separated players from their teammates and thus we annihilated them.
Now after playing a few games alone in randomly created teams my win ratio has gone down. This is mostly because of my unability to quickly communicate with my teammates. For example, whenever I get pounced by a reaver or picked up by a sentinel, I can't do anything to quickly warn my teammates or ask them for help. Even if I type "help!" in chat it doesn't help as some people don't look at the chat and actually locating the mate under distress is hard (like if you don't know what player is playing as which class or where they are currently).
Just simply making a variety of voice commands such as "Help!", "Follow me!", "[Vampire class] incoming!" would enchance players competency as a team.
Also after doing a voice command there could be some flashy notifications on the screen. For example, if a reaver pounces me, I could push some hotkey and yell "Help!", after which my teammates would see an exclamation mark on my player icon or have an arrow pointing in my direction.

Now I don't know if this is being implemented in the game in near future already, but I'm suggesting this just in case.
I also have a second idea that could use player communication, especially voice commands.
Good players with enough kill / death x games played ratio could have a possibility to be a commander of sorts in game. Players could get slight bonuses for being close to the commander or the commander could have some special skills (if it would be too overpowered, these skills could also be only used only when at loss enough) or maybe the players would get bonuses for following orders. The commander could give basic orders to teammates, such as where to regroup, where to go, what to focus on (and who should focus) and what to look out for. There's many possible features for this mechanic.

Now I hope I get up some conversation and comments on this and I also hope square-enix would take these in to considering (unless they are already?)

Thanks and sorry if I happened to suggest things that have already been suggested :)

Varulven
8th Aug 2014, 21:24
This is something we'd like to do. Unfortunately there wasn't time to record these lines in our initial VO sessions with the actors, but it's a priority if we're able to do another run.

Please send the voice actor of the reaver kind greetings from me. He could read a telephone book to me, I couldn't stop listening. I just love this voice! <3 <3 <3

Sorry for being off topic, but this HAD to be said :3

RainaAudron
8th Aug 2014, 21:26
Please send the voice actor of the reaver kind greetings from me. He could read a telephone book to me, I couldn't stop listening. I just love this voice! <3 <3 <3

Haha, this made me laugh! :D He has a nice voice though, yes ;)

Varulven
8th Aug 2014, 21:52
Haha, this made me laugh! :D He has a nice voice though, yes ;)

Making people laugh is my greatest talent :D

whoremaster
11th Aug 2014, 01:15
when playing a team game communication is important and a tiny chat box doesn't cut it. can you please implement a chat wheel with quick commands like "stick together", "spread out" and "stay indoors" and for vampires "everyone attack at once", "I need blood" and "wait to ambush". also a "good job" and "thank you" quick command always keeps team moral up.

It would be really easy to just add these as text but if you could drag in the voice actors for these commands that would make the game so convenient and bring so much depth to the game. Because at the moment a lot of people waddle around like headless chickens.

StardustOwlerlord
19th Aug 2014, 16:31
Nosgoth is a teambased game where it's crucial that the teams work together and UNDERSTAND eachother. This can be hard when playing with new people (as you don't voicechat with them). An easy implementation would be, like many others have implemented; Voicecommands. Pressing "x" and getting a list of maybe 10 commands ex:

Hold your ground.
Follow me.
Cover me.
Attack.
Wait.

Possibly (since it can be hard to navigate in unity, and to tell them where to go) pressing "x" twice will bring up a menu of the names of certain areas of the map. (Example a big tower in the middle of the map is called "big tower")

when pressing "x" and then "3" (which is "bigtower") the place on the map lights up green to show the other players where you want them to go.

(yes i have the most creative imagination; bigtower)

Zieche
19th Aug 2014, 18:04
I think this is a great idea, it's a simple way to help coordination for PUGs, and could be used to better showcase some of the great voice over work in this game.

Nemesis777
19th Aug 2014, 18:45
I see, you just don't understand that you are playing a videogame with real people and nobody will lisen to your orders? Wake up commander, they're not NPCs, so if these commands will be added I'm sure you'll get a long list of helpful answers in voicechat/chat, like... "STFU", etc. :) I recommend you to play with "soldiers" you know personally and use free communicator or pay someone for work.

Exiled998
20th Aug 2014, 02:06
Making people laugh is my greatest talent :D

someone is digging that sexy voice , then again these voice coms helps for those that doesnt have mic or having voice / throat problem but still want to shed some blood instead of resting.

If possible my recommendation is that when holding a key it will bring up the map and u can move ur cursor to highlight a point that only the team itself can see so they can make even more precise judgement, like if i point to a supply spot humans will know some one is asking for cover cuz they are heading there for heal , or vampire is telling others that the food is lurking there and they need others to rally for a raid.

Something similar to what Cyphers online is using which much quicker and precise and u can do it in a safe place without exposing to harm.

Grockr
20th Aug 2014, 02:34
and some people are just shy to talk or cant speak english, you know...

for voice commands example i recommend everyone(and developers in first place) to check voice commands in Smite, it has the best and biggest voice menu i ever seen, very very helpful thing

5amael_
21st Aug 2014, 14:58
A bit like in Counter Strike. Would be cool to be able to tell your team when you're using or going to run to a Healthstation etc. Having the F1-3 buttons to use as different callouts.

Example: "Using Healthstation!" - Would help team mates to cover your back while you're exposed.

"Help!" - Well.. Vampires are jumping you :P

"Out of Ammo"

And a lot of other different callouts could be a nice way to quickly communicate with your team without having to write or use microphone.

Redthrist
26th Aug 2014, 09:25
It can be annoying when you see humans, but can't tell your fellow vampires where they are. How about we get a button that will put marker where our crosshair is pointing?

Also, it would be nice to have the same marker saying something along the lines of "Stay here to get healed". It's annoying how people step our from my Healing Mist for no reason.

Genosha
28th Aug 2014, 21:58
So this idea i got from couple of games i played and i really think that is somethin like a MUST in this kind of games,its coop based and tactics win the game. So couple of added shortcuts for "wait here" "group up" "split" "camp here" etc would be really helpful so the team will have coordination and work better as a team.

Kriegson
1st Sep 2014, 12:02
Playing with pubbies, there is the age old issue of communication with a bunch of randoms. Using voice they don't seem to hear me, and certainly no time to sit there and type something out unless you just cleared out the other team.

If we had a quick chat menu, IE hit V- 1:HELP 2:Heal up! 3:Incoming!

Etc. That way if I'm pounced by a reaver no less than 2 meters away from the team who are meandering off in the opposite direction, I MIGHT be able to get their attention. Likewise if I've got a tasty snack that I'm dragging around for a wounded vamp team-mate, but he keeps running away and climbing roofs towards the humans...well lets just say it gets a bit frustrating.

OnlyLogic
1st Sep 2014, 14:58
YES!!! +rep! +1! /sign!

[V-1-3]Feast on this flesh.
[V-2-3]Sentinel above!
[V-4-6]My disguise is broken!
And etc...

Oooh! And include things like taunts. For many people, pressing [V-6-3] for "Hmph. Missed your pounce." in the human voice is much easier than typing "lol n00b revr sux gg" and could help to remove the toxicity.

iviasquerade
1st Sep 2014, 22:27
just apply a spam filter..
I don't want to be in the same situation of another game where you'd hear "Shatzbot!" 10 time in 5 second:D

Alooren
29th Oct 2014, 13:47
I have for long had troubles playing Nosgoth soloq with random Vampires who does not attack or spot enemies and call them out. Me and my friend had an idéa to decrease this and increase the overall teamplay. We felt like the Vampires needs something of a Shout. Something every vampire does (Key Bound not known yet) when pressing this Key you will unlesh a shout alerting your teammates that you have spotted them and instead of having Green outline from building, It instead goes Yellow or something of a different color. The downside of this is that the Humans will be alerted aswell. Which is quite good imo. I just think that this will overall increase Solo queue capabilities of vampiries.
This should generally increase the fact that Vampires will group up at the location they've spotted you. For right now, Soloqueue is so easy if your Human. Vampires provides no real challenge because they're often seperated.

Karnazh
25th Nov 2014, 18:04
Hi everyone! First of all, sorry for my english.

I would like to players had opportunity for report to team that they want to attack (important for vampires) or go to supply station (for human, obviously) or regroup, and it would be followed by a sound or some visual effect. It can increase chance of a victory of random players at constant groups with a voice chat.

For example:
F1 - Attack!
F2 - Cover me, i need heal/ammo!
F3 - Regroup!

and so on.

Sanerack
1st Dec 2014, 02:21
Yeah I agree there's been too many moments where I've been killed right behind my teammates where having voice commands to call for help could of saved me.

This could go a long way to helping players communicate easier without having to risk death by stopping to type "HELP!"

Noitatohtori
28th Jan 2015, 18:22
I think there should be a command wheel or command menu that would allow a limited number of voice commands to warn allies or inform them about certain situations. It's extremely annoying when playing with randoms and you'd like to communicate, but there is rarely time to write and most of the time anyone won't even notice the small text in the heat of combat.

Simple voice commands like "incoming", "behind you" "attack now" "come here" and "follow me" would be enough. Oh yeah, and for vampires there needs to be an option to slam another vampirer's face into the neck of that human corpse you have been dragging around for their half-dead ass.

SirRudyMan
23rd Feb 2015, 15:49
We've all been in this situation: you're being attacked by vampires and the rest of your team is looking the other way and don't notice you're being attacked. And because you're too busy evading hits, you don't have time to ask for help in the chat.

Now what if, in this situation, you could press a key and you character would yell something like "Help!" or "Help me!". This would immediately alert your other team members.

You could add some restrictions to this feature to make it less annoying when people tend to overuse it:

1. For example, you can only use it every 5 seconds.
2. Only your own team hears it.
3. You can only hear it within a certain radius.

You could also add phrases like "follow me" or "over here" to alert a team member. This is especially handy for:

1. Alerting new players who don't know the 'good spots' in a map.
2. Players who don't know the rest of their team is heading in a different direction.
3. When you like to heal a team member as an alchemist, but he/she doesn't notice your healing mist.

I've seen this being used in games like Diablo and Dragon Age Inquisition, but also many other games, where it's a very useful life-saver.

What do you think?

Jallford
23rd Feb 2015, 16:13
I feel like it'd take something away from the game. Deciding where to go and who to help are key factors in this game, shooting/abilities are a less important. If you add a lightbulb over exactly where you should be looking it'll make it way less fun.

It sucks when you have a naff team, but it'd suck more if the only reason your team wasn't naff was because the game was holding their hands.

lastnewbie
23rd Feb 2015, 16:32
It's a good idea, I like it. Only for the help call, the "over here" can be only for the vampires.

Aggggh
23rd Feb 2015, 16:32
Is the red outline on team mates taking damage and the blood covering their avatar not obvious enough?

lastnewbie
23rd Feb 2015, 19:38
Is the red outline on team mates taking damage and the blood covering their avatar not obvious enough?
[...]you're being attacked by vampires and the rest of your team is looking the other way and don't notice you're being attacked.

Ygdrasel
23rd Feb 2015, 20:34
[...]you're being attacked by vampires and the rest of your team is looking the other way and don't notice you're being attacked.

Get a better team. There are four members to a team, four basic directions in which to look.

cmstache
23rd Feb 2015, 21:19
As always, sound should ALWAYS come before anything your eyes actually see. Much like the rest of the animal kingdom knows, unlike many humans, sound doesn't have the limitations of walls....

SirRudyMan
23rd Feb 2015, 21:20
It's a good idea, I like it. Only for the help call, the "over here" can be only for the vampires.

Yeah, you could have a whole different set of phrases for the vampires.

Get a better team. There are four members to a team, four basic directions in which to look.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've been attacked and they didn't notice a thing, even though I was close by.

Sadly, I can't choose a better team, it's all up to the matchmaking.

Ghosthree3
23rd Feb 2015, 21:49
I'd rather this wasn't added to be honest.

--Ram--
24th Feb 2015, 01:47

There must be something I've missed, I can't find the "replace team with better team" button anywhere...

PencileyePirate
24th Feb 2015, 06:33
There must be something I've missed, I can't find the "replace team with better team" button anywhere...

It's labelled "invite to party." ; )

SirRudyMan
24th Feb 2015, 11:13
It's labelled "invite to party." ; )

You can only do this when your friends are online. And in my case, they're not all online at the same time (and not all of them play Nosgoth), so then you can't fill a whole team, and so you're ones again at the mercy of the matchmaking gods :worship:

Sanguise23
24th Feb 2015, 14:07
You can only do this when your friends are online. And in my case, they're not all online at the same time (and not all of them play Nosgoth), so then you can't fill a whole team, and so you're ones again at the mercy of the matchmaking gods :worship:

Add me dont get to play usually till weekends but....Sanguise on steam anyone can add me i dont care who good bad meh GLHF

SirRudyMan
24th Feb 2015, 19:19
Add me dont get to play usually till weekends but....Sanguise on steam anyone can add me i dont care who good bad meh GLHF

Yeah, I mostly play on weekends too, due to work. Your Steam profile is private, is that right?

IceColdas
18th Mar 2015, 10:35
I was looking for a thread about voice commands, and here it is.

I wanted to say that this is a feature I'm very much missing in such a team-based game. Respawn timers are short, and you simply don't have time to stand still and communicate using the regular chat, definitely not when actual fighting is going on. This seems like such an important feature, and I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet.

I read the post about voice actors, and I understand the issue. But even just having text-based commands are enough to quickly communicate, and just this doesn't seem like a big thing to implement (But what do I know about coding). Though, of course, actual character voices would be much appreciated, it's always fun to hear some of the personalities of the characters.

Personally I'd prefer TF2's method of doing it, pressing a button to bring up a menu.
The voice lines tto use ingame seem obvious, but still a few suggestions:

Humans:
Head to a heal station!
Incoming! / I see a <Vampire class>!
Stay together!

Vampires:
Go now! / Go go go! / On my mark.
I see them this way.
I need to heal / I'm out

And of course basic things like Thanks and Follow me for both teams.

Maybe slightly off topic but still kind-of related: Team coloured chat (Humans with orange names and Vamps with blue). Everyone blue is actually kinda confusing, and with voice commands, it's more clear that actual team members are yelling things.

LorenCole
13th May 2015, 12:45
Strength lies in teamwork, and humans know it well. If the vampire-slayer team cooperates, it's very hard for even a veteran player to get some kills.

But I've noticed that a part for chatting (with voice or typing) and keep track of the green auras, humans have a poor implemented way of comminication, or even from an immersion point of view, they seems completly unware of not being alone in the fight.

Why don't you make some new dialogue lines for Humans?

If I riddle a pounching Dumahim that is killing a teammate, maybe he/she could thank me? Something like "Thanks" or "You've hit that bastard"

If I, an alchemist, heal all my team with the healing myst, I'd expect some "My wounds are healing" or "That's what I needed"

Or if you don't want to make this automatic, why not implementing a radial menu, to ask for help or thank people?

Or why not both the systems?

Cody_The_Wiser
13th May 2015, 14:39
+1