PDA

View Full Version : Reaver: Savage Pounce counters

SonixSquad
26th Apr 2015, 09:20
Its the best pounce IMO and requires the most skill to land especially at range, however more recently I have been noticing that my pounce is getting countered more often as I am facing higher MMR players.
This is fine, just trying to work out what it is exactly that is countering the pounce post landing it.

What I mean by 'countered', is that (as the Reaver) you do not get to finish off the damage phase, you are forced to stand up mid damage phase.
And I am only referring to Savage Pounce as that has a longer damage phase than the standard Pounce and does not have aim assist.

The most obvious counters that I am already aware of are;

1> Bola
2> Prophet Hex Shot

These ones I'm unsure about and would appreciate some clarification if you know for sure.

3> Stormbow explosion
4> Hunter Explosive Shot
5> Human Melee

Are there any others I am unaware of ?

Things happen so fast in matches and this is happening more often but despite me reviewing footage its not always clear as to how my pounce got countered.

There are also times when the pounce itself has been countered/blocked. So thats mid air or as I am landing the pounce.
This one I have no clue about as it is usually nothing obvious like bola or hex. And no its not Vanguard shield block either.

Mayhzon
26th Apr 2015, 10:12
Honestly, at high level play I would just advise you to avoid using the pounces altogether. Abilities like Pounce / Savage Pounce and Abduct / Kidnap can be interrupted by 250 damage of any type. That is what "counters" your pounce. People shoot you midair and when the damage adds up to more than 250 (which it does very quickly) you get knocked down.

If you like pouncing but want something more safe, use leap attack. It has no damage over time phase, so it doesn't leave you as vulnerable as the pounces. Sweeping kick is what most high level players use, though. It's for the simple reason that it's 400 damage and can be followed up with melee attacks easily. You should give that a try.

SonixSquad
26th Apr 2015, 10:38
Thanks for that clarification. I sort of guessed it might have something to do with damage dealt rather than specific abilities.

I really enjoy using the Savage Pounce (case and point (https://youtu.be/VD5OX2odMHw)) as its very satisfying to land them at range and a lot of fun. Although I can appreciate that the most efficient attack is the kick, I just don't have as much fun using it plus I have to run around on foot a whole lot more. I have indeed been using the leap attack as an alternative but its damage is minor compared to kick or savage.

DesolatedMaggot
26th Apr 2015, 17:58
As I recall it takes 240 damage, or a Crowd Control effect to break both Pounces, which ever comes first. This "break" can even be done mid-air, so if you're hit with a full-charge Scout shot while flying through the air, you'll simply land on your face.

Best method to avoid this is cancel the pin animation yourself (E by default, I think) and get out. IF the animation is broken by someone else, you'll be staggered and take more damage before you recover so its best to just get out early. Most of Pounce damage is dealt upon landing anyway.

SonixSquad
26th Apr 2015, 23:09
As I recall it takes 240 damage, or a Crowd Control effect to break both Pounces, which ever comes first. This "break" can even be done mid-air, so if you're hit with a full-charge Scout shot while flying through the air, you'll simply land on your face.

Best method to avoid this is cancel the pin animation yourself (E by default, I think) and get out. IF the animation is broken by someone else, you'll be staggered and take more damage before you recover so its best to just get out early. Most of Pounce damage is dealt upon landing anyway.

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

IKathaarI
27th Apr 2015, 06:57
1 hit from Vanguards splitter axes will knock a pouncing reaver out of the sky, so the dmg threshhold has to be at max 230.

cmstache
27th Apr 2015, 11:56
The threshold used to be at 250 when the fullbore cannon was known as the "interrupt cannon". When the cannon and warbows got their damage nerfed that number was revisited. 230 sounds about right to me, and I think 200 is the knockoff limit when thrashing.

Rago600
28th Apr 2015, 04:25
Afaik it was or is 250.(i liked the old full bore)
I did play with savage pounce a lot(Tbh i never used the standard pounce)

I also suggest you to try Leap-attack for a higher mobility, the reaver can also be used to Distract the Enemy which results often in their death, if you got a Team behind you.

Trying out all the Stuff does not hurt.

Blackatana1
28th Apr 2015, 15:02
I am a high level player who still uses the savage pounce often.

The keys to not getting countered are:

You don't initiate. Only use it after the fight is started. Try to hit the human that is on the fringes of the battle. Even better if smoke is down. Choose targets wisely. Kidnapped humans are perfect targets, they are removed from the human group and you have a guaranteed hit as they need time to stand up. Knocked down humans from the tyrant charge or throw are also great. And of course chained pounces are great too.

Even with choosing the right targets its still often a matter of hitting a human, getting in 1 or 2 swipes and then manually disengaging instead of waiting to be knocked off. In the end it's a lot like leap attack. You hit them, get a swipe or two and then disengage and run off. I prefer it to leap attack because of the versatility. If you have the chance then you get the full damage from the swipes, but if not you just get the pounce and then you run.

I really cannot stress enough how manually disengaging from the pounce is your friend. Often a human will not expect it to end so quickly and that gives you a chance to roll through and continue the assault or to get away if you need to.

also the kick is now 375 instead of 400.