PDA

View Full Version : Interview with JJB - How Rembrandt and Da Vinci helped design DX:MD

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Apr 2015, 23:59
Interview with art director Jonathan Jacques-Bellette

How Rembrandt and Da Vinci Helped Design Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/115377-how-rembrandt-and-da-vinci-helped-design-deus-ex-mankind-divided.html)

Yet another feature has been published as part of GameInformer's Deus Ex: Mankind Divided promotional hub, and this time it's a five-minute video featuring executive art director Jonathan Jacques-Bellette talking about the strong link between Da Vinci and the renaissance to cybernetics, as well as the black and gold palette they're using in the series and the influence they attained from the works created by Rembrandt. Interesting stuff, in other words.

Siddhartha_
20th Apr 2015, 03:56
Looks like the video was taken down?

68_pie
20th Apr 2015, 05:32
So...more black and gold and more Renaissance?

*snore*

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Apr 2015, 09:03
:scratch: How come you don't you like?

Looks like the video was taken down?
Yeah. Shame. I expect it will be back up later.

Irate_Iguana
20th Apr 2015, 09:46
A video is a lazy man's way of doing an interview.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 10:23
The link to JJB's interview is now back up. :thumbsup:

IvanaKC
24th Apr 2015, 15:19
Since they showed some of Da Vinci's drawings, I hope they are taking a good look at them and sort out Jensen's proportions of shoulders this time. As for the rest, it's nice to see they're making augmentations resemble human muscles even more. They should try and redesign leg augs, though. While human feet muscles look so elegant even skinless, leg augs resembled goat legs too much in HR.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 21:57
... leg augs resembled goat legs.

Haha, yeah. :D
Though they are as realistic as you can get. I can't think of any better prosthetic design for power, agility and speed.
Not to mention the extra height you gain - most intimidating to the enemy. :eek:

If I was a trained assassin, I wouldn't say no to a pair. :naughty:

IvanaKC
24th Apr 2015, 22:25
Haha, yeah. :D
Though they are as realistic as you can get. I can't think of any better prosthetic design for power, agility and speed.
Not to mention the extra height you gain - most intimidating to the enemy. :eek:

Human legs are designed to be stable as they are. There are 4 layers of muscles in our feet + tendons of the calf. If that ain't stable I don't know what is. We do have a pretty good grip on the ground with our feet, unlike those hoofs. :hmm: It would actually be better for augs to resemble paws as the amortization and grip are way better and the surface they touch the ground with is arranged circularly unlike that of our feet, but that would be aesthetically weird too.

Imagine how strange must be the feeling of bending your knees in two places or backwards instead of forward with those augs. I can't help but think of satyrs every time.

If I was a trained assassin, I wouldn't say no to a pair. :naughty:

I believe anyone would think twice before declining augmentation. Personally, I'd never get my limbs done (unless, of course, there was some accident which includes amputation), but I would gladly enhance everything else - from brain, eyesight, hearing to heart and lungs. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 23:01
Human legs are designed to be stable as they are. There are 4 layers of muscles in our feet + tendons of the calf. If that ain't stable I don't know what is.
Sure, but I said prosthetic design.. Nature's design is awesome, of course... but technology is changing everything.

We do have a pretty good grip on the ground with our feet, unlike those hoofs. :hmm: It would actually be better for augs to resemble paws as the amortization and grip are way better and the surface they touch the ground with is arranged circularly unlike that of our feet, but that would be aesthetically weird too.
I get your 'paw' design... I can see the advantages though I think the current 'tip-toe' foot design perhaps provides better balance and agility than a paw - in nature, I'm thinking of springboks, gazelles and goats etc.

Imagine how strange must be the feeling of bending your knees in two places or backwards instead of forward with those augs. I can't help but think of satyrs every time.
A change in any body part would feel strange but we get used to it over time.

I believe anyone would think twice before declining augmentation. Personally, I'd never get my limbs done (unless, of course, there was some accident which includes amputation), but I would gladly enhance everything else - from brain, eyesight, hearing to heart and lungs. :D
If it comes down to survival and/or quality of life - I would make any change necessary.

IvanaKC
24th Apr 2015, 23:27
I get your 'paw' design... I can see the advantages though I think the current 'tip-toe' foot design perhaps provides better balance and agility than a paw - in nature, I'm thinking of springboks, gazelles and goats etc.

Aren't paws tiptoe-ish too? :scratch:
Cheetah hunting a gazelle eventually gets it because of perfect balance when making quick turns, doesn't it? When it comes to climbing, I believe that paws also have a certain advantage. Oh well.

A change in any body part would feel strange but we get used to it over time.

That we do. :)

If it comes down to survival and/or quality of life - I would make any change necessary.

Sure, but when it comes to limbs, I couldn't be sure if what I feel is real. I find hands, for example, the most valuable asset I have and I see no reason for replacing them if perfectly healthy.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 23:46
Aren't paws tiptoe-ish too? :scratch:
Yeah, but paws cover a wider surface area. This design works for some animals; but not for others; hence the diversity nature employs. Its just different mechanisms that work to keep the body alive and functioning.

Cheetah hunting a gazelle eventually gets it because of perfect balance when making quick turns, doesn't it? When it comes to climbing, I believe that paws also have a certain advantage. Oh well.
There are advantages and disadvantages in any design really. What matters is having the best tools for survival within any given environment.

IvanaKC
25th Apr 2015, 00:34
Yeah, but paws cover a wider surface area.

Which directly makes them better at distributing the pressure.

This design works for some animals; but not for others; hence the diversity nature employs. Its just different mechanisms that work to keep the body alive and functioning.

There are advantages and disadvantages in any design really. What matters is having the best tools for survival within any given environment.

This all stands. Animals adapted and they still adapt, but nature never gives everything to one animal because of balance between predator and prey and there is no perfectly adapted animal with 100% efficiency at whatever it does.
Now, since humans basically gave themselves everything, it's just a matter of time until the appearance of universal design where it won't matter what kind of environment you're in. For now, I'm all for paw hybrid, but what do I know. I've never thought about it by now, to be honest.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Apr 2015, 01:21
Which directly makes them better at distributing the pressure.
A paw might very well be better at distributing pressure; and that's great if that is what is required. However, I'm pretty sure most animals with hooves run faster than most with paws. So if its a need for speed, then hooves appear to be nature's most popular choice. The fastest animal on earth is the cheetah, of course, and yeah it has paws, but there will be compromises to other parts of its anatomy. I believe its low-weight muscle tissue to achieve such speed is one compromise.

it's just a matter of time until the appearance of universal design where it won't matter what kind of environment you're in.
Agreed. The Omar, for example. :cool: :D

For now, I'm all for paw hybrid, but what do I know. I've never thought about it by now, to be honest.
Hehe, yeah, I love good debate. Fact or fiction; it takes you on an interesting journey. :cool:

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 16:27
A paw might very well be better at distributing pressure; and that's great if that is what is required. However, I'm pretty sure most animals with hooves run faster than most with paws. So if its a need for speed, then hooves appear to be nature's most popular choice. The fastest animal on earth is the cheetah, of course, and yeah it has paws, but there will be compromises to other parts of its anatomy. I believe its low-weight muscle tissue to achieve such speed is one compromise.

Fair point. :thumb:

Hehe, yeah, I love good debate. Fact or fiction; it takes you on an interesting journey. :cool:

Definitely. :D It also reminds me how inferior I am to the creative people who design stuff like this 'cause I never thought about it.

FrankCSIS
26th Apr 2015, 16:43
Somehow I find myself wishing JJB had a boner for Dali instead!

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 16:46
Somehow I find myself wishing JJB had a boner for Dali instead!

Or Picasso. :lol:

FrankCSIS
26th Apr 2015, 16:53
The surrealist cyberpunk thriller. Hopelessly watch in terror as the world melts around you.

My pants suddenly feel a lot tighter.

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 16:59
The surrealist cyberpunk thriller. Hopelessly watch in terror as the world melts around you.

My pants suddenly feel a lot tighter.

The illusion of Sun shutters - it's actually egg yolk! :eek:

FrankCSIS
26th Apr 2015, 17:22
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/runner_zpsvrlk6elr.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Apr 2015, 18:02
When it comes to sunsets and eggs, nobody does it better than this guy (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vladimir+kush&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oyc9VeXdN47bavWVgfgD&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=893#tbm=isch&q=vladimir+kush+eggs&imgrc=6rJ_CXcMBsPldM%253A%3BYIOLXgasc82fvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ocinsite.com%252Fimages%252Fuploads%252Fkusheggsunset.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ocinsite.com%252Farts%252Farticles%252Fartist_profile_vladimir_kush%3B450%3B399) :D

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 18:20
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/runner_zpsvrlk6elr.jpg

Nice. :D

When it comes to sunsets and eggs, nobody does it better than this guy (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vladimir+kush&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=oyc9VeXdN47bavWVgfgD&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=893#tbm=isch&q=vladimir+kush+eggs&imgrc=6rJ_CXcMBsPldM%253A%3BYIOLXgasc82fvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ocinsite.com%252Fimages%252Fuploads%252Fkusheggsunset.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ocinsite.com%252Farts%252Farticles%252Fartist_profile_vladimir_kush%3B450%3B399) :D

Heard of the guy and all I think is - a modern Dali. :thumb:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Apr 2015, 18:54
He is indeed. Surrealism at its best.

JCpies
26th Apr 2015, 20:19
Pollock was on the cyber renaissance hype train way back. (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/pollock/pollock.number-8.jpg)

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 20:30
Pollock was on the cyber renaissance hype train way back. (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/pollock/pollock.number-8.jpg)

The world calls it abstract art, we call it Deus Ex! :lol:

But hey, if I lived in a villa, I wouldn't mind having this painted on my wall. :p

JCpies
26th Apr 2015, 20:33
Give me £100 and I'll paint something on par with that, if not better.

IvanaKC
26th Apr 2015, 20:41
Give me £100 and I'll paint something on par with that, if not better.

Of course you would. I would too - if the apartment I live in was mine, my walls definitely wouldn't be white.

JCpies
28th Apr 2015, 20:04
It doesn't matter if you own the apartment or not, property is an illusion and a means of oppression.

Just do it™ Yolo