PDA

View Full Version : Hyron Project (Human Revolution Spoilers)

Siddhartha_
18th Apr 2015, 15:43
Like the title mentions, this thread contains spoilers for Human Revolution.

I have a question in regards to the Hyron Project; what was its overall purpose? I feel like I may have missed a crucial explanation in the game somehow or maybe I didn't read an email referencing it, but I also can't seem to find a legitimate and canonical answer elsewhere on the internet. However, the only common answer I seem to find is that it was designed to stabilise Panchaea from the Arctic Ocean's constant shift in pressure. If that is its definitive purpose, then wouldn't destroying the Hyron inevitably lead to Panchaea's collapse and completely nullify the option to activate Panchaea's self-destruct mechanism? And also, assuming that is its purpose, why was Zhao so eager to merge herself with it?

Maybe I need to replay the game again, or is this a pesky little plot-hole in HR's story? Cheers in advance!

I-want-a-callisto
18th Apr 2015, 16:20
As far as I know, the Hyron Project's purpose is to provide really powerful computing capabilities. It's basically just an advanced super-computer. Hyron computers are not only used in Panchaea but in other Illuminati projects too. In The Missing Link DLC, there're these maps that note the location of various different Hyron computers. These seem to include Ayers Rock, a moon base called Moon Base Omega, and Panchaea (actually it looks like there's more than one Panchaea! I think I remember the Arctic one being referred to as "Panchaea 5" at some stage). There's also an email (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Tiffany_Kavanagh's_computer#RE:_Serious_Concerns) that mentions that OCM computers (another name for Hyron computers) are used in the moon base, a space station called Heaven, and in "geothermal stations".

You're right though, it is stated that the Hyron Project in Panchaea monitors the small fluctuations in pressure to keep it from imploding. So yeah, it sounds like the self-destruct mechanism is a bit redundant if that's the case. It's possible that this is a plot hole, although Eidos could use this plot hole in Mankind Divided to explain why Panchaea ends up getting destroyed anyway even if Jensen doesn't choose the self-destruct ending.

As for Zhao, I think she was trying to take control of it so that she could alter Hugh Darrow's signal to impress the Council of Five. I'm not sure why exactly, but it looks like the Hyron was preventing the signal from being shut off/altered. I think this was due to something that Darrow did with Panchaea's safety measures.

Shralla
19th Apr 2015, 01:48
Isn't the Hyron Project essentially the predecessor of Morpheus, Daedalus, and Icarus?

I-want-a-callisto
19th Apr 2015, 11:42
Well what Bob Page says at the end of HR seems to suggest that it's used as a basis for them at least. That being said, there's no indication that the Hyron is an artificial intelligence like Morpheus etc. so it might just be the hardware that's reused for the so called "Morpheus Initiative".

Siddhartha_
19th Apr 2015, 13:50
As far as I know, the Hyron Project's purpose is to provide really powerful computing capabilities. It's basically just an advanced super-computer. Hyron computers are not only used in Panchaea but in other Illuminati projects too. In The Missing Link DLC, there're these maps that note the location of various different Hyron computers. These seem to include Ayers Rock, a moon base called Moon Base Omega, and Panchaea (actually it looks like there's more than one Panchaea! I think I remember the Arctic one being referred to as "Panchaea 5" at some stage). There's also an email (http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Tiffany_Kavanagh's_computer#RE:_Serious_Concerns) that mentions that OCM computers (another name for Hyron computers) are used in the moon base, a space station called Heaven, and in "geothermal stations".

I understood as such that the Hyron was an advanced super-computer, and that it was capable of processing and thinking of abstract information and ideas; as well as possessing the capability to store impressive amounts of data thanks to the human "drones" that were merged with it, which I guess can also make the Hyron self aware to an extent. It's an interesting concept, despite being outrageously unethical. It kind of reminds me of the "Precogs" from Minority Report (a brilliant short story by Philip K. Dick). Maybe the Hyron has the same ability as the Precogs to predict future crimes? Maybe it could also be capable of altering the flow of all digital information and thus be able to censor out any information that might lead to the Illuminati and its affiliates? Which is similar to the AI from Metal Gear Solid 2's concept. I'd like to believe it's capable of all that, all the more reason that Jensen had to destroy it. I read an interesting article recently that summarizes research on the possibility and capabilities of a brain-like super-computer (without the need for female human guinea pigs), which you can read here. (http://www.sciencealert.com/we-may-soon-have-the-building-blocks-for-brain-mimicking-computers)

You're right though, it is stated that the Hyron Project in Panchaea monitors the small fluctuations in pressure to keep it from imploding. So yeah, it sounds like the self-destruct mechanism is a bit redundant if that's the case. It's possible that this is a plot hole, although Eidos could use this plot hole in Mankind Divided to explain why Panchaea ends up getting destroyed anyway even if Jensen doesn't choose the self-destruct ending.

I never thought of that, good point. It wouldn't surprise me if Eidos went with that decision to tie up any loose ends. It would also be able to explain why Sarif, Darrow and Taggart end up dying regardless of the decision you make at the end, and that's assuming neither of them are alive in Mankind Divided - which I suspect they won't be.

As for Zhao, I think she was trying to take control of it so that she could alter Hugh Darrow's signal to impress the Council of Five. I'm not sure why exactly, but it looks like the Hyron was preventing the signal from being shut off/altered. I think this was due to something that Darrow did with Panchaea's safety measures.

Yeah, I think I recall that was why Zhao tried merging with Hyron. I'm just not sure why and how altering Darrow's signal in such a way would "impress" the Illuminati. Maybe she had further intentions to use the Hyron to gain access to the (potential) capabilities that I mentioned above. It's a shame the story is fairly ambiguous about it, but I guess at the end of the day it's irrelevant considering the Hyron system rejected her body anyway.

Cheers.

Siddhartha_
19th Apr 2015, 13:53
Isn't the Hyron Project essentially the predecessor of Morpheus, Daedalus, and Icarus?

I've yet to play DX1 so I'm not sure as to what Morpheus, Daedalus and Icarus are exactly (aside from that they're an AI/Super-computer) and what they were made for. I've seriously gotta play DX1 at some point!