PDA

View Full Version : Who are the devs going to be?

gam3h3ro
14th Apr 2015, 21:53
First off, let me just say I just made this account, so I'm new and don't know where to put this.

Well, now that's that,
Were any of the devs names announced yet? I would like to get in contact with a director/game director and ask about some stuff.
It's very urgent and I could really use some help. I've been trying to search for something on them for a bit now and can't find anything. Please get back to me on this!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2015, 22:28
Good question. :thumbsup:

The full team will no doubt be announced at some point but we know Dugas is back on board.
You could choose to communicate via Twitter as others are doing.
https://twitter.com/jeffachoo

CyberP
14th Apr 2015, 22:54
https://twitter.com/jeffachoo

Urgh, Twitter.

"The good news is nobody forces you to take cover in 3rd nor to use takedowns. Thus, you can always play in FPV"

:/

Well, at least this seems to hint at there no longer being third person ladder climbing...at least.

gam3h3ro
15th Apr 2015, 00:25
Thank you, I really appreciate it.

3rdmillhouse
15th Apr 2015, 02:43
Jean François Dugas, Jonathan Jacques Belletete and Mary DeMarle are back.

Irate_Iguana
15th Apr 2015, 12:54
Urgh, Twitter.

"The good news is nobody forces you to take cover in 3rd nor to use takedowns. Thus, you can always play in FPV"

Well, at least this seems to hint at there no longer being third person ladder climbing...at least.

Not taking cover in 3rd person and not using takedowns was possible in HR. It was a clearly inferior playstyle handicapped by the level design, but you could never use a takedown (relying on tranqs and stun guns) and never enter 3rd person cover.

68_pie
15th Apr 2015, 13:11
Mary DeMarle [is] back.

Can't wait for more terrible writing and a boring narrative.

WildcatPhoenix
15th Apr 2015, 13:25

Sadly, I have to agree with this sentiment. The writing and dialogue in DXHR was mediocre at best. The characterization was even worse.

I'll need to see huge improvement in this area before I begin to get my hopes up for any future DX titles produced by this team.

CyberP
15th Apr 2015, 14:05
Not taking cover in 3rd person and not using takedowns was possible in HR. It was a clearly inferior playstyle handicapped by the level design, but you could never use a takedown (relying on tranqs and stun guns) and never enter 3rd person cover.

I am aware of the fact it was possible...aside from ladders, cutscenes and third person convos, although the latter two are a somewhat acceptable, but I wish for them to be FPP also.
I did a FPP-only playthrough of HR, but it wasn't exactly ideal the game wasn't designed as such.
My :/ emoticon reaction was to Dugas' perspective on the matter; one that prioritizes third person as an integral part of the game's design. Telling players to gimp themselves and also no mention of leaning or FPP takedowns makes this clear.

3rdmillhouse
15th Apr 2015, 16:57
Sadly, I have to agree with this sentiment. The writing and dialogue in DXHR was mediocre at best. The characterization was even worse.

I'll need to see huge improvement in this area before I begin to get my hopes up for any future DX titles produced by this team.

http://i.imgur.com/jul6TBI.jpg

Terenty
15th Apr 2015, 18:56
They should at least make takedowns context sensitive, for example if a guy stays near a wall have Jensen bash his head against that wall or something and not magically teleport them both so some random animation could play.

Irate_Iguana
16th Apr 2015, 09:11
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/09/meet-the-power-players-of-deus-ex-mankind-divided.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

The Illuminati has been a force in the Deus Ex universe since the series began. ... While they share the same name, Eidos Montreal’s interpretation of the group is different from the first Deus Ex. Most notably, it’s shifted away from the ‘90s-era X-Files-style paranoia toward something more grounded.

“They’re very powerful one-percenters who have always controlled and manipulated society in ways that serve a vision that they have,” DeMarle says. ...

In short, the Illuminati is a blanket term to describe these powerful people overall, even if they don’t necessarily have an official structure or hold meetings. ... She adds that she was reading the book Too Big to Fail when she realized that some bankers share a common trait with the fictional Illuminati: They’re too arrogant to effectively band together for a common goal. That could make solving this mystery a tough challenge.

No, goddammit. The last thing this game needs is less of the conspiracy theory feel and more of the goddamn gritty social commentary. Use the conspiracy theory to make social commentary, but don't cut out that atmosphere. A threat becomes less scary the more you try to ground it. What gives the Illuminati power is that you don't know that they are just wealthy arguing *******s. You have to keep some mystique or they'll just be another group that you can easily beat to a pulp to defeat.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Apr 2015, 13:14
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/04/09/meet-the-power-players-of-deus-ex-mankind-divided.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

No, goddammit. The last thing this game needs is less of the conspiracy theory feel and more of the goddamn gritty social commentary. Use the conspiracy theory to make social commentary, but don't cut out that atmosphere. A threat becomes less scary the more you try to ground it. What gives the Illuminati power is that you don't know that they are just wealthy arguing *******s. You have to keep some mystique or they'll just be another group that you can easily beat to a pulp to defeat.

Further proof that Mary DeMarle should be kept as far away from a Deus Ex game as possible. She just doesn't get it at all. (sigh)

68_pie
16th Apr 2015, 13:19

Further proof that Mary DeMarle should be kept as far away from a Deus Ex game as possible. She just doesn't get it at all. (sigh)

This.

Terenty
16th Apr 2015, 18:26

Honestly i didn't find anything wrong with the representation of Illuminati in DXHR, it was the same shadowy group of people as in the original Deus ex that tried to dominate the world. The fact that Jensen didn't confront them directly and dealt only with their proxies made them seem more powerful and elusive. I think this will be the case in DXMD as well.

FrankCSIS
17th Apr 2015, 00:00

I'm concerned that grounding a concept into a tangible reality would not only turn an idea into a mere faction, but fails to recognise how, and why, the paranoia worked in the context of a game. The game knew it was dealing with subject matters such as the Illuminati, and had a good run with it. The narrative and player agency were entirely built around the self-awareness of its topics.

In the course of your mission, you meet some random guy in a bar who entertains you about Echelon V, claiming to have inside information about the most secretive aspects of government and society. The kind of conversation anyone might have had at least once in his life, the kind of conversation which have defined conspiracy theories over the years. Only, as it turns out, your own investigations (read: gameplay and narrative progression) lead you down the paranoid rabbit hole, where absolutely no one is what he seems, and the craziest stories might actually be the only ones with some bits of actual truth. In this context, coming across the famed Illuminati makes sense.

As a faction, though, in a game not built to support paranoia, not structured to make full use of the mythos, it all sounds rather flat, if not flat out lame. The intelligence of Deus Ex was to blend the content with the structure into one coherent experience. The narrative told you to question what other people were telling you, while the gameplay was telling you to question the unwritten rules of typical game mechanics and design and trust your feeling to try out other things. In that sense, Marie greatly reduces the role of the Illuminati as an actual part of the gameplay, and turns it, as you said, into some group, as a mere part of a story.

DaedalusIcarusHelios
17th Apr 2015, 02:31
I'm concerned that grounding a concept into a tangible reality would not only turn an idea into a mere faction, but fails to recognise how, and why, the paranoia worked in the context of a game. The game knew it was dealing with subject matters such as the Illuminati, and had a good run with it. The narrative and player agency were entirely built around the self-awareness of its topics.

In the course of your mission, you meet some random guy in a bar who entertains you about Echelon V, claiming to have inside information about the most secretive aspects of government and society. The kind of conversation anyone might have had at least once in his life, the kind of conversation which have defined conspiracy theories over the years. Only, as it turns out, your own investigations (read: gameplay and narrative progression) lead you down the paranoid rabbit hole, where absolutely no one is what he seems, and the craziest stories might actually be the only ones with some bits of actual truth. In this context, coming across the famed Illuminati makes sense.

As a faction, though, in a game not built to support paranoia, not structured to make full use of the mythos, it all sounds rather flat, if not flat out lame. The intelligence of Deus Ex was to blend the content with the structure into one coherent experience. The narrative told you to question what other people were telling you, while the gameplay was telling you to question the unwritten rules of typical game mechanics and design and trust your feeling to try out other things. In that sense, Marie greatly reduces the role of the Illuminati as an actual part of the gameplay, and turns it, as you said, into some group, as a mere part of a story.

Great points. :thumb:

Shralla
25th Apr 2015, 17:19
Urgh, Twitter.

Yep, so basically we can go **** ourselves if we think there should be a way to play entirely in first-person without being completely gimped. Takedowns are back, they're in third-person, and there will be no first-person leaning even though I KNOW that it would be piss-easy to implement in addition to the cover system.