PDA

View Full Version : A few things I would like to seee in Mankind Divided that haven't been mentioned

RedIntifada
13th Apr 2015, 00:30
I am a fan of the Deus Ex series and I think there are things that can be learned from all three games. Beyond the things people have already pointed out with regard to boss battles, recurring characters throughout the game etc. I would like to see the following:

1. More complicated AI paths for enemies... in Human revolution it seemed like I could get through most rooms simply by skirting them. Most badguys didn't go beyond their desks meaning hiding behind the desks and turning cloak on and off removed any tension that may have occurred if they just checked the sides of the rooms.

2. Dialogue for choices not persuasion. The game of reading people was annoying and I hated being confined to one "right"dialogue answer, particularly if I am roleplaying Jensen a particular way.

3. More having small discreet actions modify story. I loved it how in Deus Ex the difference between jumping out the window or staying with Paul changed if he died or not. I also like how the story modified in Invisible War slightly depending on which of your academy mates you killed.

4. Have choices in the lead up to the ending. Invisible War had it's problems but which factions you were connected to mattered for the end game. Sure you could reverse most of those decisions but it was more intense then a series of buttons at the end.

5. Be very careful in conveying geo-politics. The Deus Ex alternative history of the Middle East is racist as it has been presented so far. Also as an Australian I can tell you the Australian Civil War makes no sense. The cities that it puts forward as important are actually small and insignificant compared to the places they ignore. If a war was to break out in Australia it would not occur the way it is described in the games and Australian fans find it beyond the suspension of belief to Simpson's parody levels

JCpies
13th Apr 2015, 21:27
5. Be very careful in conveying geo-politics. The Deus Ex alternative history of the Middle East is racist as it has been presented so far. Also as an Australian I can tell you the Australian Civil War makes no sense. The cities that it puts forward as important are actually small and insignificant compared to the places they ignore. If a war was to break out in Australia it would not occur the way it is described in the games and Australian fans find it beyond the suspension of belief to Simpson's parody levels

Speculative fiction doesn't have to be completely devoid of creativity, perhaps it's a bit silly or unlikely, but it's not like "silly" or "unthinkable" things with serious consequences have not happened in the past. If you ask me, the idea of an Australian civil war is interesting.

Perhaps China helped incite the war for its own benefit, according to the wiki article the civil war broke out over whether they should export oil to China.

RedIntifada
14th Apr 2015, 07:06
I have no problem with a civil war in Australia. The problem was that the cities mentioned in The Fall showed no significant understanding of Australia. The ACT where parliament is, is fairly insignificant with half the population living in either Melbourne or Sydney. I think the Northern Territory was mentioned as a hotbed of the war (it has been a while since I played) even though it has a tiny population and a huge land mass (any civil war would basically ignore it). There are some interesting things you could do with the ideas but it may be worth running the codex entries past an Australian (or someone who knows something about Australia) just to see if it could have slightly more of an air of truth about it.