PDA

View Full Version : So what happened to Megan Reed?

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 17:25
No matter what ending you choose in HR, we know she goes to work for Bob Page. And we also now that (for better or worse) she was an important part of HR and to Jensen.

So what do you think happened to her in the events between the end of HR and MD? Does Jensen maintain some kind of relationship with her? Do they severe all contact with each other? Has any of her work made it into the world of MD and will we be able to use any of it? Her research is extremely important to the series as a whole, so my thought is that she'd show up somehow in the next game.

Irate_Iguana
12th Apr 2015, 17:51
And we also now that (for better or worse) she was an important part of HR and to Jensen.

She might have been important to Jensen, but I question her importance to HR. She is there in the prologue and she shows up just before the end. Her role in HR could be filled by a pamphlet. Her motives and goals are hardly explained or really looked upon. All we really know is that she got freaky with Jensen's DNA and decides to start working for the Illuminati at one point.

68_pie
12th Apr 2015, 18:27
She was the worst and the player had no reason to care about her. I assume that will continue.

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 18:50
She might have been important to Jensen, but I question her importance to HR. She is there in the prologue and she shows up just before the end. Her role in HR could be filled by a pamphlet. Her motives and goals are hardly explained or really looked upon. All we really know is that she got freaky with Jensen's DNA and decides to start working for the Illuminati at one point.

She was the worst and the player had no reason to care about her. I assume that will continue.

Thus the initial comment "for better or worse". She partially drove the story, but many people (myself included) feel like it could have been done better. She was important because it was her research that started the events of HR and her research eventually leads to huge advancements in augmentations, but all of that still could have been included in the story and any kind of relationship with Jensen wouldn't be necessary. It could have just been Sarif saying to Jensen "see what you can do about finding out what happened to our scientists".

I'm not suggesting she would need an important role in MD, I guess I'm asking if people think or if they would be interested in a follow-up on what happened to her. MD may do just fine without mentioning her at all, but emphasis was put on her in HR. Maybe just a newspaper article about her for those who are interested in taking their time to read everything.

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 19:35

Whether we like it or not, she was a part that drove most of the story. Her research and relationship with Jensen, her betrayal - I mean, Jensen is looking for her the whole time. Though, I kinda cannot stand her at the moment, I'd like to know what happened to her.

Irate_Iguana
12th Apr 2015, 19:38
I'm not suggesting she would need an important role in MD, I guess I'm asking if people think or if they would be interested in a follow-up on what happened to her.

I'd be interested in more of her simply because I want to know more about her motivations in HR. She was criminally underdeveloped for someone who, according to the start of the story, should have played a key role in the behind the scenes events.

Dvaythavvar
12th Apr 2015, 20:19
Whether we like it or not, she was a part that drove most of the story. Her research and relationship with Jensen, her betrayal - I mean, Jensen is looking for her the whole time. Though, I kinda cannot stand her at the moment, I'd like to know what happened to her.

After meeting her at end - I felt I wanted to hit her. I had just done full care-bear playtrough, but her betrayal made me feel that she would be 1st character i wouldn't just tap my Q. But hold it for loooong time. I felt she is the antagonist of the game. Always so close, yet so manipulative.

But as much as I dislike her, I'd as well would love to hear more of her side of the whole deal.

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 20:26
After meeting her at end - I felt I wanted to hit her. I had just done full care-bear playtrough, but her betrayal made me feel that she would be 1st character i wouldn't just tap my Q. But hold it for loooong time. I felt she is the antagonist of the game. Always so close, yet so manipulative.

Me too. However, I actually felt bad for Jensen more than I felt disgusted by her actions.
She's the reason men might have issues with trusting women. :p

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 20:26
I think Megan Reed will play an important role, because Jensen is still in love with her, probably.
Maybe she'll romance Bob Page and it'll end up in a heartbreaking cutscene, where Ben Saxon hugs crying Jensen, tells him that everything will be okay and he'll be there for him no matter what.

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 20:43
Maybe she'll romance Bob Page and it'll end up in a heartbreaking cutscene, where Ben Saxon hugs crying Jensen, tells him that everything will be okay and he'll be there for him no matter what.

Funniest post so far in this thread. :lol:

FrankCSIS
12th Apr 2015, 20:57
Double Z's likes himself some fine Saxon - Jenson heat.

With the direction the story is taking, it would be very strange to not hear from her again. If the arc really needs to continue, the least one can do is present her as more than a plot device.

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 20:59
Funniest post so far in this thread. :lol:

Honestly, I feel like this romance idea was underused in DXHR. I'd like to learn more about Jensen's feelings and how he feels bad because one woman made a boo-boo, and another died in his arms. He's a hero, but when he comes home after a bad day, he cries in his bed, because when everything will fall, no one will be there for him to hold his hand... :(

...except Ben Saxon. We need more of the more-than-friendship between men in Deus Ex. I'd love to see the moment when Jensen feels so good, so he kisses Ben Saxon and runs off giggling like a schoolgirl. :)

FrankCSIS
12th Apr 2015, 21:04
As long as it all happens while BB King plays in the background.

"When it all comes down
Look for me
I'll still be around."

RKzTenirFHE

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 21:22
With the direction the story is taking, it would be very strange to not hear from her again.

Well, we did see Jensen remembering her for less than a second in the trailer.

...except Ben Saxon. We need more of the more-than-friendship between men in Deus Ex. I'd love to see the moment when Jensen feels so good, so he kisses Ben Saxon and runs off giggling like a schoolgirl. :)

:lol:

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 21:42
Honestly, I feel like this romance idea was underused in DXHR. I'd like to learn more about Jensen's feelings and how he feels bad because one woman made a boo-boo, and another died in his arms. He's a hero, but when he comes home after a bad day, he cries in his bed, because when everything will fall, no one will be there for him to hold his hand... :(

I want this in the game now. :D

JCpies
12th Apr 2015, 22:04
I feel like Megan is misunderstood, but a bit of a douche I suppose.

Maybe they'll retcon it so that she was only in a relationship with Adam to study his DNA...

I think Megan Reed will play an important role, because Jensen is still in love with her, probably.

My boy.

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 22:10
Maybe they'll retcon it so that she was only in a relationship with Adam to study his DNA...

As interesting as that would be, something tells me it had to be more than that. I think that the scene at the beginning where Pritchard interrupts them in the elevator wouldn't happen otherwise.

JCpies
12th Apr 2015, 22:19
As interesting as that would be, something tells me it had to be more than that. I think that the scene at the beginning where Pritchard interrupts them in the elevator wouldn't happen otherwise.

She could be a sociopath that likes to pull Adam's emotional strings. :D

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 22:35
She could be a sociopath that likes to pull Adam's emotional strings. :D

I like the way you think. :p

Stellazira
13th Apr 2015, 01:32
Next thing people will be saying is that she's working for the Hung Hua Hotel or similar establishment doing... you know. :p

zwanzig_zwoelf
13th Apr 2015, 01:50
Next thing people will be saying is that she's working for the Hung Hua Hotel or similar establishment doing... you know. :p

"Mmm... for 10 credits I will perform slapdance like a h... holy skit, Adam, don't tell me you've come all the way here to... to... oh, damnit, I hate you, but I'll still do my job, yeah. And I'll work with you too, Ben, just like Bob worked with me... mmm."

MrSirShpee
13th Apr 2015, 02:12

I think Adam would like to "teach her a lesson", if you catch my drift.

"Mmm... for 10 credits I will perform slapdance like a h... holy skit, Adam, don't tell me you've come all the way here to... to... oh, damnit, I hate you, but I'll still do my job, yeah. And I'll work with you too, Ben, just like Bob worked with me... mmm."

Dvaythavvar
13th Apr 2015, 03:24

And in this case Jensen is a moron. How can you be there to save the world - pull so many questionable and corporate deeds on the light and still be so blind. I am not that keen on the ever-lasting love angle though. It rarely is appealing in games. If i want to watch love stories and sob-stories I can open TV and watch some soapoeras.

But i do like this cutscene idea too !

Avenging_Teabag
13th Apr 2015, 13:14
I wish they just dropped the whole Megan business altogether, but considering she was the only character from HR who made it into the new trailer, i'm not optimistic. I kind of hate her, tbh.

It's not that I'm against romantic subplots on principle. Considering the broad theme of the last game - what does it mean to be (or remain) human - a love story was practically begging to be written, but why did it have to be handled in such a cringey-terrible way? Why did Megan have to be such a vacant, wishy washy weaksauce fool without any will or convictions of her own whatsoever. Eughhh.

I think Adam would like to "teach her a lesson", if you catch my drift.

"Oh, honey?" *tap, tap" *whack*

On that note, I'm totally down with some hot manlove between Jensen and the yellow hoodie guy. Who's with meh???

IvanaKC
13th Apr 2015, 13:58

Prostitutes at least do an honest job, even if some think it's immoral. Megan is a betrayer, there's no honesty there. Even Dante wrote that the great three betrayers are being chewed by Satan. Might as well add the fourth one... :whistle:

It's not that I'm against romantic subplots on principle. Considering the broad theme of the last game - what does it mean to be (or remain) human - a love story was practically begging to be written, but why did it have to be handled in such a cringey-terrible way? Why did Megan have to be such a vacant, wishy washy weaksauce fool without any will or convictions of her own whatsoever. Eughhh.

Perhaps because having fairytale love would be mainstream. The only thing about this love story I don't like is that Adam is driven by his feelings for Megan, not by his need to save the world.

JCpies
13th Apr 2015, 21:32
Perhaps because having fairytale love would be mainstream. The only thing about this love story I don't like is that Adam is driven by his feelings for Megan, not by his need to save the world.

To be fair though, who is driven in life to save the world?

"Save the world" is such a nebulous term, even if one were to be in the process of saving the world, they might not even realise it. Jensen was an ex-cop turned private security who was down on his luck and had an unfortunate background, he had no idea about the sorts of events he would become embroiled in, same with JC Denton.

Sure it doesn't always translate well from character to player, but why wouldn't he be driven by his feelings?

IvanaKC
13th Apr 2015, 22:19

"Save the world" is such a nebulous term, even if one were to be in the process of saving the world, they might not even realise it. Jensen was an ex-cop turned private security who was down on his luck and had an unfortunate background, he had no idea about the sorts of events he would become embroiled in, same with JC Denton.

Sure it doesn't always translate well from character to player, but why wouldn't he be driven by his feelings?

When your job includes saving people, like firefighters, doctors or cops, you save someone's world every day. Someone like that must be driven by different feelings than those he has towards one specific person, right?
Of course, why wouldn't Jensen be driven by feelings? But not for Megan. I expected something other, like general philanthropy, compassion for those in need or sense for justice. IMO, Jensen knew that what was happening was big, he is an ex-cop like you said. I got that impression the moment he started to question Sarif about the leaking info.

MrSirShpee
13th Apr 2015, 22:42
I wish they just dropped the whole Megan business altogether, but considering she was the only character from HR who made it into the new trailer, i'm not optimistic. I kind of hate her, tbh.

"Oh, honey?" *tap, tap" *whack*

On that note, I'm totally down with some hot manlove between Jensen and the yellow hoodie guy. Who's with meh???

That's my favorite takedown. *tap tap* Huh? *KO

68_pie
13th Apr 2015, 23:11
Can someone give me examples of well done romantic subplots in games?

FrankCSIS
13th Apr 2015, 23:30

I've brought it up each time I could: Grim Fandango. Even if Meche is mostly a macguffin, it works really well. Manny treats her like she's just a client, denies his feelings the whole way through, all the while chasing her to the ends of the world. It gave birth to one of the best game quotes, too. "Love? Love is for the living, Sal".

Then again, every single human relationship in that game is unparalleled. The friendship with Glotis, of course, but the competition, the betrayals, the flirts, it all flows so naturally.

Avenging_Teabag
14th Apr 2015, 06:12

Max Payne/Mona Sax

Perhaps because having fairytale love would be mainstream. The only thing about this love story I don't like is that Adam is driven by his feelings for Megan, not by his need to save the world. Better, more consistent character development =//= fairytale.

besyuziki
14th Apr 2015, 07:36

Every game without romantic subplots. And Saints Row IV.

JCpies
14th Apr 2015, 20:09

Out of all the Japanese romance/dating/sex games there must be at least one with a decent romantic subplot.

3rdmillhouse
15th Apr 2015, 01:54
No matter what ending you choose in HR, we know she goes to work for Bob Page. And we also now that (for better or worse) she was an important part of HR and to Jensen.

So what do you think happened to her in the events between the end of HR and MD? Does Jensen maintain some kind of relationship with her? Do they severe all contact with each other? Has any of her work made it into the world of MD and will we be able to use any of it? Her research is extremely important to the series as a whole, so my thought is that she'd show up somehow in the next game.

She's probably either working on the Grey Death now or on the Denton project.

handgriffsorgfaeltig
15th Apr 2015, 09:41

"Save the world" is such a nebulous term, even if one were to be in the process of saving the world, they might not even realise it. Jensen was an ex-cop turned private security who was down on his luck and had an unfortunate background, he had no idea about the sorts of events he would become embroiled in...
...but why wouldn't he be driven by his feelings?

When your job includes saving people, like firefighters, doctors or cops, you save someone's world every day. Someone like that must be driven by different feelings than those he has towards one specific person, right?
Of course, why wouldn't Jensen be driven by feelings? But not for Megan....

this story development in HR gave me ( is givin me) always some subtle 'John McClane-esque' vibe...the instant brew of plot creation...just add water...the street hardend (ex-) cop enters the (ex-) wifes global corporate world...and fights fabulous strange terrorists to save his love interest / rest of mankind hanging around in close proximity ( also worldwide)...sometimes the feelings that pushed someones actions could be connected to the world need; but maybe i am just a bit blunt...

DaedalusIcarusHelios
15th Apr 2015, 16:38
I hope that Jensen is able to uncover information on Meghan, to perhaps understand her motives. I think largely she is a scientist who cares more about the discoveries and progress, despite the costs. I think Bob Page is a master manipulator who understands her insatiable desire to do something for the greater good and that's what she thinks she is doing. She clearly has some reservations on what she's doing at some level, mainly how she betrayed Adam. I think that she was setup to develop a relationship with Adam originally to get close and procure his DNA for testing, and at some point she developed real feelings for him, and she had to end their romantic relationship.

I don't know when exactly Jensen and Meghan's romantic relationship started and ended. It's clear she got him the job at Sarif, but was their relationship already over by then? Was the whole relationship a way to get him over to Sarif? Was Meghan already working for Bob Page covertly, or did she merely transition over to his side after the attack/kidnapping due to the promise of unlimited funds and access to make her scientific advances more likely? If she was working for Bob Page already, did she know that Adam would nearly die and get augmented as a real world test of his unique abilities for his body to accept augmentations?

Based on what was revealed in the game, it seems likely that Meghan was used as a pawn unknowingly, and after the kidnapping was convinced that she could continue her research into what she believed was one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs the world would know. I think she believed Adam died and wasn't really aware of what was going on other than her work. I think seeing Adam again gives her conflicted feelings because she did love him, but her work is more important to her and thinks it is for the greater good.

I'd really like for Jensen to find out more about her through emails, and other things. I think it'd be good for the story if rather than her becoming a villain, she becomes a tragic character with complexities. It'd be good if Jensen is given the choice of believing her or not at some point, and can make the choice to kill her or not. I think she should end up dying either way at the end, having been killed by Jensen or killed from the Illuminati after fulfilling her purpose and as a way to hurt Jensen. It'd be great if you could save her somehow, but it'd be really difficult and more of a secret, sort of like saving the prisoners in DXHR but harder and more obtuse.

Silverbridge
16th Apr 2015, 05:44
I usually cut down her mom as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

IvanaKC
16th Apr 2015, 08:03
this story development in HR gave me ( is givin me) always some subtle 'John McClane-esque' vibe...the instant brew of plot creation...just add water...the street hardend (ex-) cop enters the (ex-) wifes global corporate world...and fights fabulous strange terrorists to save his love interest / rest of mankind hanging around in close proximity ( also worldwide)...sometimes the feelings that pushed someones actions could be connected to the world need; but maybe i am just a bit blunt...

During the game, I wanted to perceive Jensen as moral man, not just as a 'knight' who would sacrifice everything for one person. Eventually, it did get to that - after he found Megan, but it took more than a half game to find her. :hmm:

I don't know when exactly Jensen and Meghan's romantic relationship started and ended. It's clear she got him the job at Sarif, but was their relationship already over by then? Was the whole relationship a way to get him over to Sarif? Was Meghan already working for Bob Page covertly, or did she merely transition over to his side after the attack/kidnapping due to the promise of unlimited funds and access to make her scientific advances more likely? If she was working for Bob Page already, did she know that Adam would nearly die and get augmented as a real world test of his unique abilities for his body to accept augmentations?

Somehow, I doubt their relationship was fake. It's become quite serious, and if I understood correctly, they lived together at one point and they even had a dog. Besides, Sarif knew about Jensen's DNA before Jensen got augmented. He was the one who encouraged Megan to continue with research, wasn't he? I mean, at the beginning of the game, Megan was very nervous and even showed some doubts about what she's doing.

My first thought was that she was convinced to play for the other side after the kidnapping because someone knew which words to use.

Based on what was revealed in the game, it seems likely that Meghan was used as a pawn unknowingly, and after the kidnapping was convinced that she could continue her research into what she believed was one of the greatest scientific breakthroughs the world would know. I think she believed Adam died and wasn't really aware of what was going on other than her work. I think seeing Adam again gives her conflicted feelings because she did love him, but her work is more important to her and thinks it is for the greater good.

This I agree with. :thumb:

I'd really like for Jensen to find out more about her through emails, and other things. I think it'd be good for the story if rather than her becoming a villain, she becomes a tragic character with complexities. It'd be good if Jensen is given the choice of believing her or not at some point, and can make the choice to kill her or not. I think she should end up dying either way at the end, having been killed by Jensen or killed from the Illuminati after fulfilling her purpose and as a way to hurt Jensen. It'd be great if you could save her somehow, but it'd be really difficult and more of a secret, sort of like saving the prisoners in DXHR but harder and more obtuse.

And if you let her live, there should also be ways to play the game and see her ending up either with us or against us.

Falconer084
18th Apr 2015, 15:04
The only time we will see her is in an incredibly lame sex scene that fades to black. It'll be leaked to the media and be blown out of proportion and the game will be banned for three weeks!

Or

They could try and write something that makes sense and is meaningful in some way , being poiniant to the story that'll make you think for years to come.

Which one do you think they'll choose?

urbestfriend
18th Apr 2015, 19:34
I don't know when exactly Jensen and Meghan's romantic relationship started and ended.
Their relationship started in 2019 and ended in 2023. It gives us 4 years. In 2026 Jensen left the police (from Quincy Durant's computer). Six months later Sarif hired him (2026/2027)

I think their relationship wasn't fake. She actually loved him but pressure from Sarif and her ambitions caused her to have conflicted feelings and she dumped our Spy Boy. In the Missing Link DLC, when going to Burke's office if you enter his computer, you will find an e-mail stating that one of the scientist of the events from six months ago is still worried about her boyfriend. Emails you can find here (http://i.imgur.com/m2W894x.jpg) and here (http://i.imgur.com/OBzabVQ.jpg). This hints that Megan has feelings for Adam.

I want to see her in Mankind Divided. In my opinion she is the most interesting character in the game but they didn't have enough time to finish her story how they should and it ended like everyone knows. And of course I love Michelle Boback's voice :D

Stellazira
19th Apr 2015, 02:19
Michelle Boback is a cool lady. I met her once and she seemed pretty awesome, along with Elias Toufexis.

xaduha3
19th Apr 2015, 03:25
<snip> they didn't have enough time to finish her story how they should and it ended like everyone knows.[/B] :D

That's the problem right there, it isn't just about Megan Reed though. I don't really care about 3rd person takedowns, boss battles, ghosting etc at this point. But it looks like they are going to take that rushed ending of HR and use it as is, just continue! Letting Jensen die would've been the perfect opportunity to clean the slate somewhat. I didn't like the way Illuminati were handled in particular and therefore I'm very skeptical.

I'm not worried about the gameplay, I doubt it will be worse than HR and I don't expect it to be much better, but I am worried about the writing.

DaedalusIcarusHelios
19th Apr 2015, 03:32
Their relationship started in 2019 and ended in 2023. It gives us 4 years. In 2026 Jensen left the police (from Quincy Durant's computer). Six months later Sarif hired him (2026/2027)

I think their relationship wasn't fake. She actually loved him but pressure from Sarif and her ambitions caused her to have conflicted feelings and she dumped our Spy Boy. In the Missing Link DLC, when going to Burke's office if you enter his computer, you will find an e-mail stating that one of the scientist of the events from six months ago is still worried about her boyfriend. Emails you can find here (http://i.imgur.com/m2W894x.jpg) and here (http://i.imgur.com/OBzabVQ.jpg). This hints that Megan has feelings for Adam.

I want to see her in Mankind Divided. In my opinion she is the most interesting character in the game but they didn't have enough time to finish her story how they should and it ended like everyone knows. And of course I love Michelle Boback's voice :D

Awesome, thanks!

IvanaKC
19th Apr 2015, 12:45
I'm not worried about the gameplay, I doubt it will be worse than HR and I don't expect it to be much better, but I am worried about the writing.

Oh, I'm skeptical about the writing too. Not so much about the main plot, but the whole Megan-Jensen situation. :hmm:
However, is the gameplay really that bad considering the game is 4 years old? Of course I expect it to be improved because 4 years is a long time and progress basically happens overnight these days.

68_pie
19th Apr 2015, 16:29
Oh, I'm skeptical about the writing too. Not so much about the main plot, but the whole Megan-Jensen situation. :hmm:
However, is the gameplay really that bad considering the game is 4 years old? Of course I expect it to be improved because 4 years is a long time and progress basically happens overnight these days.

The passage of time doesn't really relate to improvement in games. Maybe for graphics but certainly not gameplay.

xaduha3
19th Apr 2015, 22:21

Honestly I don't think the whole Megan-Jensen situation matters all that much by itself. As for gameplay progress, it oscillates. "Streamlined" is a bad word around these parts.