PDA

View Full Version : The Underworld Tavern - Welcome / Introduction & Random Chat Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Spyhopping
11th Apr 2015, 17:12
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/deusex/images/3/3d/Underworld_Tavern_sign.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width/200?cb=20150112210242&path-prefix=en

Hello everyone! Here's an off-topic area for you all in our new DX:MD forum.

Do you want to talk about cake, that weird dream you had, or your latest book/film/TV show?

Any newcomers or old faces want to introduce themselves?

Here's the place for it.

Let's start you off. My name is Lucy, I live in England, any cake with butter icing will do, the last dream I remember was about a dinosaur apocalypse (it was excellent) and I'm currently discovering the ridiculous joy that is Stargate.

Have fun!

JCpies
11th Apr 2015, 18:08
It's a miracle, the mythical city on the hill, and I am its king.

Edit: I am JCpies, I used to be called JCpie. If you don't know/remember me, I guess you could call me a veteran DX fan. I grew up on the first game, dabbled in the second and spent a lot of time getting hyped about Human Revolution (and playing it once it was released of course). I was here to experience the old forums, the regenerating health controversy, the "small heads" debacle, the caption thread, the cow's head, the copypasta, the ask JJB series and all that good stuff. And some not so good stuff too, like the departure of many cool studio people and forumites.

Good times man, good times. Let's see what Mankind Divided will bring...

Hopefully another caption thread.

Spyhopping
11th Apr 2015, 18:20
JCpies? He's gone plural! God help us all.

Irate_Iguana
11th Apr 2015, 20:10
I am JCpies, I used to be called JCpie.

New forum murdered your name as well, or have you simply increased your desire for pie?

vallux
11th Apr 2015, 20:14
HEY. JCPIE(s) I REMEMBER YOU. AND Irate. I guess. All we need now is for CodEllite to make a comeback. Ah. The times. I'm still sore I can't to get Vallux with a V. Quite likely I made an account way back when and have since forgotten about it. Sooo...

HEY Y'all. I'm vallux. I like Deus Ex. Made a lot of meaningful contributions on the old forums starting from early 2011.

Dvaythavvar
11th Apr 2015, 20:57
Hi, i am Dvay and I on my 1st day here already pissed off Frank unintentionally and made a "good" 1st impression. I promise I stay away from trouble now on.

Hiiiiiiii.

Spyhopping
11th Apr 2015, 21:25
HEY. JCPIE(s) I REMEMBER YOU. AND Irate. I guess. All we need now is for CodEllite to make a comeback. Ah. The times. I'm still sore I can't to get Vallux with a V. Quite likely I made an account way back when and have since forgotten about it. Sooo...

HEY Y'all. I'm vallux. I like Deus Ex. Made a lot of meaningful contributions on the old forums starting from early 2011.

You don't remember me.

http://cdn.meme.am/images/300x/5698729.jpg

Hi, i am Dvay and I on my 1st day here already pissed off Frank unintentionally

Oh just offer him some poutine and he'll be fine. Welcome to the forums by the way!

Dvaythavvar
11th Apr 2015, 21:29
Yeah, it was my comment about FB Deus Ex community and it sounded as if I attacked this community and all this jazz. I wanted to hide my face deep on my palm. I did lurk on old forums for years, but I never came to join, sod knows why.

I do hope to redeem myself on the eyes of community with fan art. I think [read: hope] I draw better than speak English. maybe I should draw JC Denton, since it was DX1 fans I pissed off :(

Jerion
11th Apr 2015, 21:51
Yeah, it was my comment about FB Deus ex community and it sounded as if I attacked this community and all this jazz. I wanted to hide my face deep on my palm. I did lurk on old forums for years, but I never came to join, sod knows why.

I do hope to redeem myself on the eyes of community with fan art. I think [read: hope] I draw better than speak English. maybe I should draw JC Danton, since it was DX1 fans I pissed off :(

I wouldn't worry about it, and Frank seems unusually cranky. Nobody takes kindly to feeling attacked by a strawman or generalization. There is a group of people here who were not roundly impressed by HR, and this is a place where you can engage with those people one-to-one. Just keep that in mind and things will be fine. Welcome to the forums!

Myself, I'm a long-time regular who vanished for a while. Happy to be back though.

I have to say that I had a pretty decent slice of carrot cake the other day. It was a great start to the day. I later threw a sweatshirt on the ground several times while a colleague recorded it.

vallux
11th Apr 2015, 22:03
You don't remember me.

Uhh, I felt I didn't need to mention you separately because you are so memorable it was obvious I'd remember you.

https://lifeconfusions.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/ab0467b32da03d17631051b43d5da44fd75a3a66ee61d66f7bf7ae18887b5415.jpg

Spyhopping
11th Apr 2015, 22:05
Hahaha nice save. :p

68_pie
11th Apr 2015, 22:12
JC Danton

Who?

FrankCSIS
11th Apr 2015, 23:00
I wouldn't worry about it, and Frank seems unusually cranky.

One of the two things which occurred when turning 30. The other one is suddenly enjoying regular unflavored chips. Life works in mysterious ways!

I've never held a grudge in my life, so no worries there! Anyone and everyone can disagree with every single word I type, as long as they come in with something to say about it. I make my research on what people are saying, and expect others to do the same.

Since we're all reintroducing ourselves, I would be Frank. Been spending way too many sleepless nights in this joint, and have had the pleasure of exchanging and learning from a great many deal of fun and knowledgeable people in here. Regardless of difference of opinion, I hope to meet many more!

PS: Welcome back, John!

ZakKa89
12th Apr 2015, 05:32
Man it is really good to see all you DEHR forum veterans back here. New forum made me put 89 after my name since ZakKa was already taken :(

MasterTaffer
12th Apr 2015, 09:43
I'm Master Taffer. I lurk around and watch you all. I'm always watching; always listening. I see you when you're sleeping, and I know when you're awake. I know if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.

Jerion
12th Apr 2015, 10:27
I'm Master Taffer. I lurk around and watch you all. I'm always watching; always listening. I see you when you're sleeping, and I know when you're awake. I know if you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FXUQIBb_veI/TeI5y3BvoGI/AAAAAAAAAQM/VMmZXjUterQ/s1600/03d4fec05e0e012ee3bf00163e41dd5b.gif

Spyhopping
12th Apr 2015, 10:34
I think you're both confused about the time of year.

Dvaythavvar
12th Apr 2015, 10:42
I think you're both confused about the time of year.

It was snowing here 2 days ago, not sure what time of year is ... what is it ?

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 13:17
Threads of randomness - my favourite threads. :D

Long story short, my name is Ivana and most of my posts are in Tomb Raider section. In 20 years of my existence on this world, I don't remember loving anything as much as bitter/dark chocolate. My current fun is human physiology and The Little Prince.

Though I'm aware that people get very heated up when it comes to Internet discussions, I'm looking forward to sane and non-judgmental discussions here. :)

Dvaythavvar
12th Apr 2015, 15:44
Been wasting all day on the fan art I promised to make up my terrible entry to forums and sad thing is - what started as JC Denton ends up being Jensen :/

This what I've done this far and I think now I need a nap. Uploaded this to show it to some friends, but heck of it, can as show this WIP on the tavern too. Based on trailer, no idea what to do with background yet and if I ever (if!) finish it I toss it on main image thread. http://sta.sh/021sz1uzscg0

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 17:08
Cake is delicious. I should make some. For myself. :D

Irate_Iguana
12th Apr 2015, 17:29
Myself, I'm a long-time regular who vanished for a while. Happy to be back though.

Did you get demoted or do moderators no longer have a big banner showing them to be mods?

New forum made me put 89 after my name since ZakKa was already taken :(

Crappy software didn't allow me to use a space in my name. Had to settle for an underscore. I hope that isn't a harbinger of things to come with MD.

Though I'm aware that people get very heated up when it comes to Internet discussions, I'm looking forward to sane and non-judgmental discussions here. :)

If this place hasn't changed too much we mostly do polls and super lengthy posts filled with negativity.

Jerion
12th Apr 2015, 17:38
Did you get demoted or do moderators no longer have a big banner showing them to be mods?

We're incognito at the moment. :)

MasterTaffer
12th Apr 2015, 17:47

We walk among you.

Spyhopping
12th Apr 2015, 17:50
I like it! It's like the old days.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Apr 2015, 18:56
No, we are merely a prototype for a much larger system. :p

FrankCSIS
12th Apr 2015, 21:09

Still one way to spot you fellas. The bear, the ferret, and the kitty fair, with honey in its hair.

t6VMSYIXCCY

JCpies
12th Apr 2015, 21:24

That's what they all say.

Who?

I think he means JC Tenton.

Long story short, my name is Ivana and most of my posts are in Tomb Raider section. In 20 years of my existence on this world, I don't remember loving anything as much as bitter/dark chocolate. My current fun is human physiology and The Little Prince.

We both have twenty years Ivan! We are buddies now!

I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the insane and judgmental discussions here.

Hello everyone, hello Stella, Irate, Vallux, Pie etc. etc.

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 21:30
Hello everyone, I made crucial contributions to Thief, Tomb Raider and Deus Ex: Human Revolution forums.
Because of me, next entries should be more enjoyable, because as a person with experience in game development and refined taste in games and music, I am the right person to judge any game and provide proper information to game developers about the product.

FrankCSIS
12th Apr 2015, 21:34
What you lack in movie and literature culture, you amply make for in bromance.

I just wish you could draw. All this wasted Slash art opportunity.

IvanaKC
12th Apr 2015, 21:36
We both have twenty years Ivan! We are buddies now!

I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the insane and judgmental discussions here.

Looks like I have stuff to get used to. After all, I do come from the peaceful land of Tomb Raider ruled by Driber. :whistle:

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 21:39
What you lack in movie and literature culture, you amply make for in bromance.

I just wish you could draw. All this wasted Slash art opportunity.
I prefer TV series to movies, and I read books from time to time, but it's been years since any book managed to capture me. I like dirty and cheap novels most of the time, because they express the raw nature of a man.

As for drawing, I can't draw, but I did music for 6 games, and I get most of information by ear. I can't read notes, though, so I can't arrange anything unless I hear it and start playing it by ear (I have near-absolute pitch).

FrankCSIS
12th Apr 2015, 21:45
I can't read notes, though, so I can't arrange anything unless I hear it and start playing it by ear (I have near-absolute pitch).

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ag3cbBzudsM/VLvfgGWe7uI/AAAAAAAASig/MnXRsLeh-m4/s1600/J.K.%2BSimmons%2BWhiplash.PNG

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 21:47
I can't draw either, which sucks when you have cosplay ideas. :(

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 21:52
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ag3cbBzudsM/VLvfgGWe7uI/AAAAAAAASig/MnXRsLeh-m4/s1600/J.K.%2BSimmons%2BWhiplash.PNG

I know, I know, but there are quite some composers who can't read notes, but manage to write good music.

JCpies
12th Apr 2015, 21:56
I can't draw either, which sucks when you have cosplay ideas. :(

I thought you were an artist...

Maybe I'm remembering someone else...

Also, check out my new signature. Slick huh. I wanted to include the pug but I am constrained by MS Paint.

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Apr 2015, 21:59
Looks totally like 90-s, never liked them. :)

JCpies
12th Apr 2015, 22:09
Looks totally like 90-s, never liked them. :)

I've never heard of 90-s. Is he a good rapper?

Now to sort out my avatar. Like the old forum, the avatar size is small and relatively not that good.

Stellazira
12th Apr 2015, 22:48
I thought you were an artist...

Maybe I'm remembering someone else...

Also, check out my new signature. Slick huh. I wanted to include the pug but I am constrained by MS Paint.

I attempted a DX: HR PS3 theme a long while back but never ended up finishing it. I have also cosplayed as Lina from Dota 2 and after going to a cosplay on how to make armour I'm thinking about either making a lady Adam Jensen or go with my original idea of Legion Commander also from Dota 2. I want to get a feel for the materials first, so I'll just make something small before trying to go all-out.

Dat signature. :)

Dvaythavvar
13th Apr 2015, 15:45
Looks like I have stuff to get used to. After all, I do come from the peaceful land of Tomb Raider ruled by Driber. :whistle:

Me too.I think I should scout a bit more and stay more on things I know better than my self taught English, like drawing. ... and easy going topics like this.

vallux
13th Apr 2015, 20:26
Saw Furious 7. It was fun. Like silly good fun. Got a little misty-ish at the end. Liked Statham, he managed to circumvent most villain tropes - just straight up badass

68_pie
13th Apr 2015, 22:04
Yeah, it's incredibly dumb but a lot of fun. I was definitely crying at the end.

FrankCSIS
13th Apr 2015, 23:57
Truly can't remember if I had ever seen this before, a theater crowded with misty-eyed, or flat-out crying, 20-30 year old guys.

Seeing scenes from the first one again on screen, painfully reminded you how fresh and full of life Walker was then. Coupled with the reminder that as silly, campy and badly-written as they were, we've been following that franchise on and off since high school.

Speaking of movies. That second Mad Max trailer.

Stellazira
14th Apr 2015, 02:27
I'm really excited for Age of Ultron. I don't know how I'm going to handle so much awesome in one movie.

knox140
14th Apr 2015, 14:05
Hi everyone, I'm Richard. Used to post a whole lot on the old Thief forum but it's looking like a ghost town nowadays...

IvanaKC
14th Apr 2015, 18:26
I'm really excited for Age of Ultron. I don't know how I'm going to handle so much awesome in one movie.

Same here. :D

Also, here's what Elias posted on his fb page:

Seems appropriate for many things nowadays. :p

Spyhopping
14th Apr 2015, 18:34
Haha! Jensen always finds an excuse to look brooding and haunted. Sitting in the carriage is just too routine.

Hi to Richard!

MasterTaffer
14th Apr 2015, 18:40
THE HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES!

IvanaKC
14th Apr 2015, 19:02
Hi everyone, I'm Richard. Used to post a whole lot on the old Thief forum but it's looking like a ghost town nowadays...

Everybody boarded the hype train called Deus Ex... :whistle:

THE HYPE TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES!

I sure hope it does! I'm supposed to get down and study from time to time. :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Apr 2015, 19:42
Also, here's what Elias posted on his fb page:

Haha. Love it. :cool:

JCpies
14th Apr 2015, 20:01
Can't stop watching the Mankind Divided trailer, it's so well directed and the animation is just incredible and it's really reminiscent of the Human Revolution trailer.

FrankCSIS
14th Apr 2015, 23:49
Uncle took possession of his Tesla S P85D, and took us for a long city and highway test drive.

I will forever be haunted by the indescribable feeling of that euphoric ride!

JCpies
15th Apr 2015, 20:56
Uncle took possession of his Tesla S P85D, and took us for a long city and highway test drive.

I will forever be haunted by the indescribable feeling of that euphoric ride!

It may be indescribable, but surely you can describe it in some sense, I have no idea what it is like.

vallux
15th Apr 2015, 22:11
Jeeze. Installed my new Super Flower 750w Leadex PSU (EVGA Supernova G2 in the States I think). It comes with an "eco" fan setting. The fan doesn't even spin unless it's needed. It's so ******* quiet. I don't trust it tho. We'll see.

FrankCSIS
16th Apr 2015, 00:02
It may be indescribable, but surely you can describe it in some sense, I have no idea what it is like.

It's hard to explain because there is nothing else to go by. I would say the most significant contribution to the overall experience is the humanly imperceptible reaction time between you touching the pedal and the car becoming in movement. It's as if the vehicle moves out of sheer will, because we're not quick enough to sense the delay. What this essentially does is making you feel as if the car was just a prolongation of your own body, or more precisely, that there is no car at all.

You partly get a sense of this as you drive the Tesla, but it only truly becomes obvious when you get back to your explosion engine. I rode back with my brother in his 370Z Nismo, by all means a respectable driver's car, and for the first time in my life, I've felt all the parts, gears and bolts of the engine painfully setting into motion. What was an impressive acceleration time became a tedious process, as if we were inside of an enormous metal monster battling against gravity to get into movement. This, coming from a guy who almost only truly feels at peace when behind the wheel of a car.

It's not that I dislike explosion engines. There are faster cars than the Tesla. Some gas engines are far more impressive in terms of engineering. But that feeling. You can't forger it. It stays with you, and doesn't easily let go.

As a side note, some have complained about the "one-pedal" driving, or at least commented on necessitating an adaptation period. As someone who always only drives using the gas pedal (in automatics anyway), and only uses the brake pedal to remain fully stopped, not only didn't it require any adaption, but it felt like the logical evolution and conclusion of my driving style.

68_pie
16th Apr 2015, 20:36
New Star Wars trailer:

ngElkyQ6Rhs

Definitely a lot better than the first teaser. I think this is the first time I've felt some excitement about a new Star Wars movie. Still bugs me that they declared the EU non-canon but maybe this will be fun.

AlexWeiss
17th Apr 2015, 19:33
Jeeze. Installed my new Super Flower 750w Leadex PSU (EVGA Supernova G2 in the States I think). It comes with an "eco" fan setting. The fan doesn't even spin unless it's needed. It's so ******* quiet. I don't trust it tho. We'll see.
I need to build my own PC so badly, I just have no money to do it... I'll have to bookmark that one, though.

Sotcitcio
17th Apr 2015, 20:46
Okkkayy.. What is this? A new Deus ex game??? I remember I read somewhere that something was on the works but I didn't know it was announced. I just came to post an introduction to the thief forums and.. well, a pleasant surprise.

My name is Sotiris, I live near the sea and summer is coming. Last months I was busy playing the Thief series for the first time (which was amazing) and doing some other stuff and so I didn't know anything about a new Deusexy game. My favorite game of all time is Deus ex, the first one mind you. I was always lurking in the shadows of the old forums since 2008. You probably don't know me but I know you.

Anyway, I am looking forward to all these exciting and terrifying discussions that will come (maybe more than the game itself).

IvanaKC
17th Apr 2015, 21:28
Anyway, I am looking forward to all these exciting and terrifying discussions that will come (maybe more than the game itself).

What is it with people here? Does DX series really turns the man into a beast addicted to insane Internet-discussions? :p

Welcome aboard and good luck! :D

I need to build my own PC so badly, I just have no money to do it...

With all the progress, I'll have to do just the same. :hmm:

Sotcitcio
17th Apr 2015, 23:28
What is it with people here? Does DX series really turns the man into a beast addicted to insane Internet-discussions? :p

It's worse...

jokes aside, some of them get surprisingly intellectual though. I don't find that in many forums.

68_pie
18th Apr 2015, 00:44
What is it with people here?

You make it sound like the Codex. We're not that bad.

IvanaKC
18th Apr 2015, 01:07
You make it sound like the Codex. We're not that bad.

It was a joke (because I noticed 3 or 4 posts in this thread where people mentioned the nature of discussions here). ;)

FrankCSIS
18th Apr 2015, 04:13
You probably don't know me but I know you..

I feel a sudden urge to lock my doors and cover my webcam with a towel!

Sotcitcio
18th Apr 2015, 10:11
I feel a sudden urge to lock my doors and cover my webcam with a towel!

"I now have full access to your systems."

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Apr 2015, 10:37
Welcome, Sotcitcio. Enjoy the forum.

Dvaythavvar
18th Apr 2015, 10:39
... am I only one, who wishes a DX forum skin here :(

Irate_Iguana
18th Apr 2015, 10:48

Nope. The only skin that really works is the sickly blue one.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Apr 2015, 12:57

A new skin is definitely required. I want black and gold. :cool:

Dvaythavvar
18th Apr 2015, 13:05
A new skin is definitely required. I want black and gold. :cool:

It's not only the theme-with-game reason I miss it. I found old forums-scheme easier to read as well. Eyes kind of rested on the dark, and were able to focus on text much better. White back and black text exhausts my eyes fair bit more.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Apr 2015, 13:09
Agreed.

IvanaKC
18th Apr 2015, 13:25
It's not only the theme-with-game reason I miss it. I found old forums-scheme easier to read as well. Eyes kind of rested on the dark, and were able to focus on text much better. White back and black text exhausts my eyes fair bit more.

That's why I use TR 10 dark. We've bothered Driber over there until we got the dark theme because our eyes would drop out. But the Deus Ex theme is definitely needed. :thumb:

FrankCSIS
18th Apr 2015, 15:53
New Star Wars trailer:

ngElkyQ6Rhs

Definitely a lot better than the first teaser. I think this is the first time I've felt some excitement about a new Star Wars movie. Still bugs me that they declared the EU non-canon but maybe this will be fun.

PYHdQUyOunA

DaedalusIcarusHelios
19th Apr 2015, 03:43
I made a CSS theme for these forums, which requires using the Stylish add-on for Firefox or Chrome.

https://userstyles.org/styles/108499/square-enix-forums-deus-ex-hr

I use it with the Option 2 wallpaper, and DX Universe logo image. It looks best when used with the "Square Enix" forum theme here.

Jericho_Mccoy
19th Apr 2015, 03:51
I have not seen "Interstellar", but damn did I feel the same as Matthew McConaughey during that video.

Also, hello! I am new here and hope to make wonderful, exciting, cryptic posts for all to see :D.

Jericho_Mccoy
19th Apr 2015, 03:58
I made a CSS theme for these forums, which requires using the Stylish add-on for Firefox or Chrome.

https://userstyles.org/styles/108499/square-enix-forums-deus-ex-hr

I use it with the Option 2 wallpaper, and DX Universe logo image. It looks best when used with the "Square Enix" forum theme here.

The theme is great! The only thing is that people's name banners are all with a white background :P. Is there a way to change that?

DaedalusIcarusHelios
19th Apr 2015, 04:23
Which forum theme are you using? The CSS goes overtop the CSS from the site, and it doesn't look right on some of the forum themes. At the bottom of the page on this site, you'll see a drop-down for the forum theme. Try changing it to "Square Enix" as that is the one that works best.

Oh, and I added a splash logo option for Mankind Divided, and changed the default options.

I went ahead and created a new thread for the theme (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=154963)

Dvaythavvar
19th Apr 2015, 15:58
Which forum theme are you using? The CSS goes overtop the CSS from the site, and it doesn't look right on some of the forum themes. At the bottom of the page on this site, you'll see a drop-down for the forum theme. Try changing it to "Square Enix" as that is the one that works best.

Oh, and I added a splash logo option for Mankind Divided, and changed the default options.

I went ahead and created a new thread for the theme (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=154963)

My eyes approve. What 'they' cannot, fans can. Much better. I've not changed the theme yet to what you suggested, but I already enjoy this much more.

edit : and with default theme - even better!

Jericho_Mccoy
19th Apr 2015, 22:52

Ah ha! That did it! Thank you very much. I am still getting used to this whole forum thing.

Definitely looking forward to what else you may come up with. :D

68_pie
20th Apr 2015, 19:53
RPS: While We Wait For Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/20/while-we-wait-deus-ex-mankind-divided/)

If anything is Deus Ex 2, ignoring Invisible War, obviously, it’s got to be Alpha Protocol. No game has ever, ever devoted itself so intently to your choices, which range from how many people you kill, to which characters you visit first when visiting a new city. It’s a fractal web of consequences and responsiveness that truly puts every other game out there to shame… making it all the more unfortunate that its own crap gunplay and mini-games routinely spoil the party. Still! If you can endure those, and a few truly terrible opening hours, what awaits is simply unforgettable. I just wish I could remember the main character’s name.*emphasis mine

I've been saying exactly this on these forums for years. Nice to have some validation.

Irate_Iguana
21st Apr 2015, 10:59
I've been saying exactly this on these forums for years. Nice to have some validation.

Gotta have to agree with you on that one. I bought and played it after HR and when it comes to C&C it blows most games out of the water.

Pinky_Powers
21st Apr 2015, 23:00
Hello. This is my first post...

On this forum! lol. I didn't think there was a Mankind Divided forum yet. I kept looking. The HR forums were WAY too quiet. Somehow missed the "Upcoming Games" section in the Square-Enix listings.

Anyway. My name is Pinky. I once ate a man for pronouncing the word "Wolf" "woof".

CyberP
22nd Apr 2015, 04:10
RPS: While We Wait For Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/20/while-we-wait-deus-ex-mankind-divided/)

*emphasis mine

Extensive C&C is meaningless when it is wrapped up in a poorly-designed piece of ****.

GMDX

That stands for “Give Me Deus Ex”, and it’s an overhaul mod designed to make the original campaign just feel more satisfying and realistic. No longer for instance will friendly NPCs be quite so blasé about you wandering up with a crate of explosives, while both murderous and non-lethal players get some more options like rubber bullets and taser darts. JC Denton meanwhile gets some new abilities like mantling and better taking cover, and more scope to use his stealth implants without the AI throwing a crazy party at the slightest disturbance.

It is glaringly obvious RPS (or this specific writer/editor combo) haven't played it, but I appreciate the mention I guess.
Also no mention of System Shock 1 or 2/VTM:B/Arx/Underworld/FO:NV? Injustice.

Dvaythavvar
22nd Apr 2015, 05:38
I guess its time for me to give that GMDX a try at last as well and blow dust from the old game I've not touched for quite some time. Can as well install invisible war again.

Jericho_Mccoy
23rd Apr 2015, 22:54
So, this might be random, however, Black Ops III is apparently heading into a direction that Deus Ex: Human Revolution took.

I am going to put on my conspiracy hat on for just a moment so please excuse this next set of words:

What we have here, ladies and gentlemen, is a major gaming studio with a game franchise known to 'Michael Bay' a lot of its works. Simplifying their stories to make them a shoot-fest of fun and excitement, but not as deep as they could take it. CoD is that game and if you think about it, the way this Black Ops III teaser trailer is foreshadowing, they want to take over the "Human Augments" department.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, now with a bigger budget, can talk about things and stretch more of what made the original great and discussing what the dangers and benefits of augments would be, but also the political motivations of such powers. Deus Ex takes the slow approach (if one desires it) into discovering the world and what it takes to influence the people around them.

CoD, could take it in a direction that oversimplifies and narrows it down to just a reason to shoot digital avatars with enhanced reflexes.

Someone in Activision wants people to think having augmentation is a great idea, make it more popular, let the masses feel like a bad ass while at the same time, giving them hints of an actual story.

Conflict is a brewing. It is only a matter of time. ::Takes Conspiracy Hat off::

With that out of the way, did anyone get a Deus Ex-vibe from that Black Ops III teaser trailer? What did you think of it?

CyberP
23rd Apr 2015, 23:27
The "modern military shooter" began to ditch the modern part in exchange for the future a while back. Black Ops 2 and Advanced Warfare covered some of this stuff, obviously there's the Crysis Series which covers nanotechnology. That new business trend has already begun.

FrankCSIS
24th Apr 2015, 01:57
Every franchise that has explored the past and the present will inevitably explore the future. The military being the driving force of augmentation research, it makes sense for the military guru working for Activision (I forget his name) to come up with this topic.

For them, though, this is mostly a gameplay issue. When you produce a minimum of one title per year, mixing the sauce a little is your bread and butter. Augments bring on a whole new layer of possibilities on the battlefield. It makes all the sense in the world. The HD team exposed themselves to this risk when the focus of the series switched to augmentations, both in the narrative and gameplay fields.

CyberP
24th Apr 2015, 02:36
The [Mankind Divided] team exposed themselves to this risk when the focus of the series switched to augmentations, both in the narrative and gameplay fields.

Can't argue with that. Such narrow focus all-round.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 09:29
Happy 25th Anniversary, Hubble Space Telescope. :flowers:
Respect the machine. :worship:

During 25 years of service, Hubble has captured remarkable images of space, allowing scientists to look back in time.

YQrf6r-9ozc

vallux
24th Apr 2015, 17:55
Installed an SSD today. It was waaaay more difficult than it should have been. First, I don't have any SATA cables lying around it seems. Second, I actually tossed my 2.5 drive adapter. I duct taped the bugger into my now cableless DVD drive, and plugged it in. It didn't show up in BIOS. Damn. Then I flipped the cable around and boom. Apparently it was twisting itself and getting a poor connection due to my less than stellar cable management (99% my case's fault, honest). Now I'm running a buttery smooth installation of Windows 7.

Spyhopping
24th Apr 2015, 19:52
If you need something to keep you occupied over the weekend, Skyrim is free on Steam for the next 2 days (at least in the UK). It's also very cheap to buy at the moment if you want to hang on to it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 22:09
I was hoping to enjoy a bbq this weekend... but its gonna rain. :mad2:

WhiteCopy
24th Apr 2015, 22:58
If you need something to keep you occupied over the weekend, Skyrim is free on Steam for the next 2 days (at least in the UK). It's also very cheap to buy at the moment if you want to hang on to it.
Great game, I have to give it another try, I've spent hours on it but too many bugs, the more higher in level you go, the more bugs you had... maybe it has been fixed?

I was hoping to enjoy a bbq this weekend... but its gonna rain. :mad2:
I have the same program for this weekend and it is sunny for us... :rasp:
Add the "Rock Festival" during this week, it's paradise !

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Apr 2015, 23:06
Ooh, I'm a festie-freak myself. Sunshine and music equals heaven. :cool:

Shralla
25th Apr 2015, 07:22
I had no idea this was a place. I guess I'm here now. Why didn't anybody tell me sooner?

EDIT: And I guess I have an avatar and maybe a signature too? This forum does not function properly at all.

vallux
25th Apr 2015, 08:08
I had no idea this was a place. I guess I'm here now. Why didn't anybody tell me sooner?

EDIT: And I guess I have an avatar and maybe a signature too? This forum does not function properly at all.

Step yo game up, son. And yes, it's clunky as hell. I'm still waiting for an official DX theme.

WhiteCopy
25th Apr 2015, 12:26
Ooh, I'm a festie-freak myself. Sunshine and music equals heaven. :cool:

Agreed ! This musical manifestation is one of the most important in France and requires a massive amount of organisation. This year is its 35th birthday, and I think it's the first time that it's not raining :) As I'm very curious musically speaking, it allows me to discover a lots of groups or artists that I didn't know and every year, I fall in love with another one !

Step yo game up, son. And yes, it's clunky as hell. I'm still waiting for an official DX theme.
I use DX Theme made by DaedalusIcarusHelios and it's perfect ! Not official but very nice and better for my eyes...

vallux
25th Apr 2015, 13:51
I use DX Theme made by DaedalusIcarusHelios and it's perfect ! Not official but very nice and better for my eyes...

Same here. It's good.

Dvaythavvar
25th Apr 2015, 14:16
Me as well, and it looks really professional in my books.

FrankCSIS
25th Apr 2015, 14:34

Seems we all merely stumbled upon it at one point or another in the past 3 weeks. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure if you were ignoring it on purpose or just hadn't seen it yet!

IvanaKC
25th Apr 2015, 21:12
Today I realized once again how creativity develops when living a student life. Sadly, a sudden urge for unnecessary calories rises from time to time when I'm stuck at my apartment studying half of the day. Since it's Saturday and pretty much everything near me is closed in the afternoon, I was stuck with what I already have. So, I mixed mascarpone and raw cacao powder with squashed bananas. That cream I put on some wheatmeal biscuits. That heavenly taste with actually sane amount of calories made my day. :D

Pinky_Powers
25th Apr 2015, 23:47
http://robohub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ex_machina_ver4.jpg

Saw Ex Machina this afternoon. Easily one of the best movies I've seen in years.

I mustn't recommend it to everyone, but if you like subtle, plodding, intellectual films, with no action sequences, then you may be ripe for this one.

Ex Machina covered nearly all the major philosophical angles of Artificial Intelligence... save one. It didn't overtly discuss the responsibility we must take for a creature that has reached sentience. Like a child, once it is born, it must be cared for until it can care of itself. It must not be neglected, mistreated, abandoned or destroyed. Even if it's not as perfect as you wanted. Society says we are responsible for our babies, however imperfect they may come out. A true, sentient machine deserves this same level of dedication.

I suppose this sentiment lies somewhere in the subtext of the film. Still, I would have loved for at least one character to bring this up. They talk about every other ******* thing.

Shralla
26th Apr 2015, 01:48
I heard it was erotic. I was sold immediately. >.>

Pinky_Powers
26th Apr 2015, 01:53
I think the ideas and undertones are more erotic than any one scene I can think of. But yeah, it's rather sexy in its own way. :thumb:

68_pie
26th Apr 2015, 08:46
I didn't feel like it did anything particularly new or complex but the dance scene was great.

JCpies
26th Apr 2015, 11:54
It's a miracle, my old stats have been returned. I've had to endure much, but now there is order again. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, why contain it?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Apr 2015, 17:54
Sweet! :cool:

Sotcitcio
27th Apr 2015, 11:05
Has anyone read The Hobbit? I find it extremely boring and I can't get past the first few chapters. Maybe it would be better if I read it in English, I don't know. I wanted to finish it before I start the LOTR novel.

So for now, it's eating dust on my bookshelf while I'm reading The Bat, a crime novel by Jo Nesbo. I like it so far.

68_pie
27th Apr 2015, 12:18
Has anyone read The Hobbit? I find it extremely boring and I can't get past the first few chapters. Maybe it would be better if I read it in English, I don't know. I wanted to finish it before I start the LOTR novel.

So for now, it's eating dust on my bookshelf while I'm reading The Bat, a crime novel by Jo Nesbo. I like it so far.

I found it more entertaining than LotR but then that's not saying much.

Pinky_Powers
27th Apr 2015, 17:23
The Hobbit is a better structured book than Lord of the Rings, but I don't consider it a better tale. I had no problem reading any part of The Hobbit, especially the beginning. LotR, however... the first chapter has no story at all. It just talks about Hobbits in a very anthropological way. In other words, boring as hell.

Yet the great moments of LotR, and there are a plethora, are so much better than anything you'll read in The Hobbit.

The Hobbit is a children's book. The Lord of the Rings is for the child in all of us, while demanding a lot more from the reader.

Dvaythavvar
27th Apr 2015, 19:40

I did try to read it years back and it became the best book to make me asleep. I like reading, and some of my fave books have complex language or are in verse, but hobbit ? Not my cup of tea. I tried it both in English and my own language and no dice.

Sotcitcio
27th Apr 2015, 21:47
The Hobbit is a children's book.

I think that's why I don't like it much. I knew it was a children's story but I thought "ok, I've read Harry Potter which had a younger audience(?) and I loved it so why not this". I believe it's my native language that makes it more childish that it should have been.

Pinky_Powers
27th Apr 2015, 22:33
Maybe. But remember, the Hobbit was published in 1937. Children's books then were not as they are now. Furthermore, Harry Potter is an exceptionally mature read when compared against most of its contemporaries.

Shralla
29th Apr 2015, 06:38
Human Revolution was right. :x

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/29/darpa-steerable-bullet-tech-repeatedly-hits-evading-targets

DARPA’s Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance (EXACTO) program, self-steering bullet technology designed increase hit rates for long-distance shots, underwent a successful round of live fire tests.

Also, it's all sorts of Human Revolution in Baltimore.

Dvaythavvar
29th Apr 2015, 13:01
I think that's why I don't like it much. I knew it was a children's story but I thought "ok, I've read Harry Potter which had a younger audience(?) and I loved it so why not this". I believe it's my native language that makes it more childish that it should have been.
Hobbit in my language was translated in 1977 and it is rather good translation. Very thorough and I think keeps very close to the original. But I found the descriptions and in my eyes lack of actual forwarding content not working for me. It felt standing still too much and too long. Hobbit would make a good painting, and is material for a film, but as book it feels too slow for me.

Spyhopping
29th Apr 2015, 20:47
The first time I read the Hobbit, it was in a well put together book with wonderful illustrations by Alan Lee. Rather enhanced the experience. Did not envision it at all like it turned out in the films, or that there would ever be a LoTR style film about it. Seemed too gentle and sweet for that.

Also, it's all sorts of Human Revolution in Baltimore.

Flying out there in just over a week (not to join in). Last time I travelled abroad I was a few streets away from the Charlie Hebdo attack. Not so good travel timing for 2015.

JCpies
29th Apr 2015, 21:30
Flying out there in just over a week (not to join in). Last time I travelled abroad I was a few streets away from the Charlie Hebdo attack. Not so good travel timing for 2015.

That's too suspicious to be a coincidence.

Perhaps you're a secret agent of an Interpol funded task force aimed at targeting and subverting aggressive anti-establishment activist groups.

FrankCSIS
29th Apr 2015, 22:43
That's too suspicious to be a coincidence.

Perhaps you're a secret agent of an Interpol funded task force aimed at targeting and subverting aggressive anti-establishment activist groups.

This is actually extremely likely. The alternative is that she'd travel to Baltimore on her own accord, which legitimately makes no sense!

Pinky_Powers
30th Apr 2015, 02:01
The first time I read the Hobbit, it was in a well put together book with wonderful illustrations by Alan Lee. Rather enhanced the experience. Did not envision it at all like it turned out in the films, or that there would ever be a LoTR style film about it. Seemed too gentle and sweet for that.

Yep. Those movies weren't The Hobbit. I don't know what they were.

I still enjoyed all three films, the last most of all, but they don't represent the novel well. The impression I get is they're trying too hard to distance themselves from the "gentle and sweet" children's book by striving for the maturity of LotRs, and in the process, fouling its identity. It feels like a mutation born of hot and earnest inbreeding.

Shralla
30th Apr 2015, 03:10
I thought the first Hobbit movie was awful and completely lost interest in seeing the others.

IvanaKC
30th Apr 2015, 07:11

Nope, not suspicious at all. :whistle:

Why are you going to Baltimore? The doubt has to be removed. :p

Spyhopping
30th Apr 2015, 19:31
Why reveal the mundane reality of it when you're all having so much fun? ;)

In game related antics I've been wandering around the capital wasteland as a fun precursor to visiting DC whilst I'm over there. Also, rediscovering Skyrim which is still magnificent. These kind of games are so good to come back to after a long break.

I thought the first Hobbit movie was awful and completely lost interest in seeing the others.

My excitement and interest definitely died down after watching the first one, but I still wanted to see what they'd do with the rest of it.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st May 2015, 00:37
Lots of mischief going on in here. :naughty:

Shralla
1st May 2015, 04:31
Turns out I'll be driving to Baltimore to visit my dad at the end of the month. Should be a fun road trip, and even the eight hour drive beats the hell out of dealing with the airport.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st May 2015, 14:22
Turns out I'll be driving to Baltimore...
The plot thickens.

xaduha3
19th May 2015, 09:15
Warning: F words and Michael Caine impersonations below

HFIQIpC5_wY

ygxEPkufryI

Shralla
21st May 2015, 14:47
Driving down to Annapolis in a little bit! Won't be around much this weekend (not that this place is bumping), but if I see any scenery reminiscent of Deus Ex I'll be sure to share it. My dad and his wife say they are "actively avoiding Baltimore" right now, but unlike them I am not scared of what has been going on there, so I will probably take at least one trip over there while I'm in MD. I may hit up Bethesda as well, depending on timing.

Spyhopping
21st May 2015, 18:59
Bring some suncream! It was bright, hot and humid in Maryland last week. Was certainly better than the grey, cold and wet we came back home to though. Why do I live in England again?

Are you driving down from New England?

Shralla
26th May 2015, 01:25
Indeed I was, and I am now returned from my trip! I got a little tiny bit of sunburn on my forehead, but otherwise enjoyed my time about Washington DC and Annapolis. It was also fun to confirm that my father and his wife are indeed guilty of some diet level racism.

We were on the subway going to DC in the morning, and at one of the stops this young black guy lost his balance a bit and grabbed my backpack for support. He apologized and we laughed it off. He didn't make a ton of sense but I assumed he was just flustered from the near-fall and awkwardness of grabbing a stranger. He walked off to the other end of the car, and my dad said "Isn't it a bit early to be that high?" I immediately knew he was just being ignorant, and my girlfriend and I sat down a few feet away from them. There we ended up interacting with this other guy, who clearly had some kind of developmental issues. He was nearly unintelligible but very friendly so we chatted with him as best we could. Turns out this guy and the first guy were brothers, and they both had some level of mental impairment. But it was a young black guy wearing a jersey and a fresh cap, so clearly he must have been on the marijuanas! ******* racist.

We also stopped through Baltimore on the way home, against the advice of my father and his wife who seemed convinced the whole city was on fire. We located "the hood" with no real issue, all we had to do was follow Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. That turned into North Ave at one point, which was honestly one of the most depressing things I've seen in real life. Nowhere in New England exhibits that unbelievable level of poverty and desolation, and it was a near alien world to me. Whole rows of clustered apartments sat bricked up, boarded up, torn down, or otherwise in disrepair. Sometimes there would be a livable tenement sandwiched in between those that were falling apart around them. And off of North Ave were dozens of side streets, all in similar levels of disrepair. Dying leaves on skeleton branches, with a rotten heart in the tree. I can't conceive of anybody bearing witness to those sights and still expressing a lack of understanding at the cause of the Baltimore riots. It wasn't the death of one man or even many. It's so much more than that, that people refuse to see.

xaduha3
27th May 2015, 13:46
If you don't yet listen to Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" and "Common Sense" podcasts, then you should.

Mattbraun
27th May 2015, 14:35
Does anyone know if it will be possible to play Mankind Divided with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard on the PS4?

xaduha3
27th May 2015, 15:09
You could try to summon EM Community Manager somehow. If it's a normal practice and was possible on the previous gen with HR, they maybe yes?

FrankCSIS
27th May 2015, 23:00
You could try to summon EM Community Manager somehow.

A ritual which requires black candles, the blood of a Bagot goat, petals of a Gibraltar Campion, and which can only be performed twice a decade during the summer solstice of a leap year.

Shral, interesting, if rather sad, report from Baltimore.

SageSavage
27th May 2015, 23:46
You guys still believe in the EM community manager? Come on...

MasterTaffer
28th May 2015, 19:53
He sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake...

68_pie
29th May 2015, 12:08
And then doesn't do anything?

vallux
29th May 2015, 17:26
The amount of edge here. Like 2 edgy 5 me. Like Arashikage steel doesn't break levels of edge.

SageSavage
31st May 2015, 09:21
He sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake...

What a pointless super power that is...

Anyways, speaking of pointless powers:

KUNG FURY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

It's basically FC: Blood Dragon - The Movie.

FrankCSIS
31st May 2015, 16:01
Apparently if you spoof every conceivable terrible idea and put it together, the end result is, surprisingly, supremely terrible!

If anything, it shows how complicated it is to make a proper spoof that holds its own for anything longer than a sketch. Most, including this one, typically overstay their welcome.

Also shows that something as over the top as this is immensely more fun to play than it is to watch!

Shralla
31st May 2015, 16:10
On the other hand, What We Do In the Shadows is excellent. I finally got around to watching it a few days ago and it was hilarious from beginning to end, and touched on nearly every bit of vampire-related pop culture without being heavy-handed about it. It's about a group of four vampires who live in an apartment in New Zealand, and them going about their "daily" lives. It has one of the guys from Flight of the Conchords in it, as well as a couple other great comedic actors. Highly recommended.

And have I gushed about Mad Max yet? I can't even remember. I saw it last weekend and I was totally blown away. I had a good feeling about the movie from the first trailer, likely stemming from how much real stuff (cars, explosions, etc) that they showed. It totally paid off, the movie was amazing. A balls to the wall action movie that has an interesting plot and great world-building, but doesn't shove either down your throat with awkward exposition. It counts on the audience being smart enough to put the pieces together themselves, and almost never outright tells you anything about the world or any of the characters, leaving you to infer it yourself. The cinematography is great, the action choreography is great, the soundtrack is great, and the whole thing is just an ultimately perfect culmination of post-apocalyptic action.

If you're on the fence about it, go see a matinee for cheap. The movie got great reviews but not being a family flick has caused the box office performances to suffer. It needs your support! I'm thinking of going to see it again.

FrankCSIS
31st May 2015, 16:40
I was just going to say in my previous post that the board apparently had no love for Fury Road!

You've pretty much said it all. I'm simply going to add that it's a perfect film, superbly achieving with considerable ease absolutely everything it has set out to do. It understands a film doesn't have to be a passive experience, by allowing you to construct the rest of the experience as you watch it. A good lesson in interactivity. Definitely going back for a second viewing.

I will have a look at What We Do in the Shadows. Thanks for the heads up!

Shralla
31st May 2015, 18:19
I've decided I'm seeing it again today. I haven't seen a movie twice in theaters on my own dime in years because I usually can't justify spending the money to see the same movie again. Mostly I just wait for it to come out on BR or Netflix or something. But I HAVE to see this movie in a theater again. It's a fiery burning NEED. Delicious guzzoline straight into my veins, please and thank you.

SageSavage
31st May 2015, 18:34
Have yet to see Fury Road but that's only a matter of time. I liked Kung Fury, btw.

68_pie
31st May 2015, 18:40
I really enjoyed Mad Max although I didn't quite love it and I'm not really sure why.

I did love Furiosa, great to have a female action hero.

Something I didn't event think about until somebody else pointed it out is that she's also a disabled action hero which is even more rare so kudos to Mr Miller.

Funny that his last movie before this was Happy Feet 2 :)

xaduha3
3rd Jun 2015, 08:45
If you don't yet listen to Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" and "Common Sense" podcasts, then you should.

I mean it, I really do.

Mad Max...

It looks like I had hype overdose. Fury Road did not live up to my expectations. Something ain't right there.

First of all - too many guns and bullets. The first gun Max grabs and he uses half a clip for intimidation.

Dissonance is the word, it runs across the whole movie. You can say that the Road Warrior was the same, but it was grittier at least.

Shralla
3rd Jun 2015, 20:33
Sounds like you're hung up on the old movies. He used the ammunition for intimidation because it was the only way to show them how serious he really was. The fact that wasting bullets was the most serious thing he could do short of killing one of them both showed what kind of man he is as well as what kind of world they live in. Also, are you surprised that there were a number of guns and bullets right next to a place called The Bullet Farm, run by a guy called the Bullet Farmer? Even on the War Rig, the biggest baddest war machine in the wastes, they came up with barely any bullets after scrounging as much as they could. They weren't exactly overloaded.

FrankCSIS
3rd Jun 2015, 23:26
The first film was an abstract painting, one which probably makes complete sense to no one but Miller alone. With Road Warrior he attempted to build somewhat of a realistic setting, addressing many aspects of humanity and society at its rawest. I feel he was a lot more successful at this with Fury Road, which feels more complete and developed. It's very different from Mad Max, but it's the better version of Road Warrior. From sex trade to natural resources and the protection of life and biodiversity, personality cults and idol worshiping, the Eros and Thanatos duality of human beings, it's all there, in a more natural and seamless setting. A lot less symbology, and it feels all the more real for it. It feels a bit condensed, but only because of its film format. Stretch it over a tv series or a good long game, and you'd probably not feel the same.

In this, say, more realistic rendition, a supreme war lord, controlling what appears to be the capital of the Wasteland, could not possibly rule over people with stick and stones. The man had two things going for him. Religion and guns. No matter Einstein's allegory, we're never going back to stones. The guns would be crude and simple (the Bullet Farmer was previously known as Lord Kalashnikov), and we'd likely manufacture our bullets from scrap metals and lead mines, built by hand if needs be. Scarce for the people and thugish gangs, they'd be in ample quantities to anyone who hopes to rule the way Joe did. Weapon trade is already an essential part of our societies today, more so than water or oil, so imagine how crucial it would be in a world like Max's.

xaduha3
4th Jun 2015, 09:04
I'm not a film critic, all I know is that I didn't enjoy it that much. There are plenty of extremely unrealistic films that make you believe the setting more. Snowpiercer, Edge of Tomorrow, Dredd. That "suspension of disbelief" thing didn't work for me when it came to Fury Road. Maybe I was in a wrong mood or something. Maybe a Directors Cut release will help if it ever happens.

neoWilks
4th Jun 2015, 23:20
Fury Road was entertaining enough, but it felt pretty sloppy. Not especially surprising given that this has been in some form of development or another for the better part of two decades. The script they had written to appease Warner Bros was apparently thrown out as soon as they started filming and most of the movie was shot based on storyboards first drafted back in 1999.

The whole movie was very front-loaded. The action peaked within the first third of the movie as the warboys first engaged the tanker. As a result, the movie just kinda happened. The revelation that the lush paradise they were headed for had been long gone fell flat. And Max' suggestion that they take Joe's fortress for themselves didn't have any drive behind it. They all felt like they were simply resigned to it, being their only option. The ending, with that groan-inducing quote, was particularly bad.

You also have the warboys, who are arguably the most interesting part of the movie, almost completely marginalized in the second half. As soon as Nux joins the team, his zany reverence and religious fervor pretty much stop. He's just another grunt, and you've no equivalent character on the other side to take his place.\

I can't say I care particularly about the details. There was certainly a lot of world building Miller put into this movie. But it's still a movie, not a book or a setting companion to some tabletop role playing game. Cameron undoubtedly put more thought into how the Xenomorphs worked in Aliens than Scott did in Alien. I still vastly prefer the later. There's something to be said for not saying so much. Humungus didn't need a backstory. You didn't need to know the mechanics and hierarchy of his wasteland gang. He was the Ayatollah of Rock 'n Rolla and he wanted their gas. That's more than enough.

The first two Mad Max movies are still the best and hold up perfectly well. This one felt nothing like them beyond the superficial desert wasteland aesthetic from Road Warrior. The tone in Fury Road was absolutely bombastic, balls to the walls crazy. It was almost like watching a cartoon. Mad Max had always been far more grounded in the past (even in Beyond Thunderdome), despite the somewhat exaggerated denizens of the wastes.

FrankCSIS
5th Jun 2015, 23:57
After rewatching MM 1 to 3, I was in the mood for some Gibson of my pre-birth era. Two films from Peter Weir were very interesting, and then I've moved on to The Bounty. Anthony Hopkins is a force of nature in that film. It trumps everything else I've seen with him, even if the film is not all that.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Jun 2015, 12:36
Glasto Festival coming soon!!!! :cool:

xaduha3
6th Jun 2015, 14:03
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Show 292 - Pandering for Liberty
Posted: Fri, 05 Jun 2015 15:08:12 PST

http://traffic.libsyn.com/dancarlin/cswdcc92.mp3

FrankCSIS
11th Jun 2015, 18:05
I believe a song is in order. See you at the bar in the clouds, Mr Lee!

T9MuEA2eF8c

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Jun 2015, 17:31
Europe's Comet Probe Philae Has Woken Up (http://news.sky.com/story/1501893/europes-comet-probe-philae-has-woken-up )

Exciting news. :cool:

xaduha3
17th Jun 2015, 05:58
http://gfycat.com/FlimsyFirmAntelope

vallux
21st Jun 2015, 19:31
Saw Jurassic World. It was so silly. Chris Pratt was hot. Bryce Dallas Howard was super hot. SUPER. HOT. Dinosaurs killed dudes. Some cool parts, really like silly cliche parts etc etc.

SageSavage
27th Jun 2015, 22:26
"Alien Isolation's Artificial Intelligence Was Good...Too Good"
http://kotaku.com/alien-isolations-artificial-intelligence-was-good-too-1714227179

Something about immersive sims.

68_pie
29th Jun 2015, 12:01
Do not like the forum redesign.

Poticha
30th Jun 2015, 18:25
We are going to fix the background for posts, so that they have a plain one rather than being transparent.

If you with to switch skins, there is a little menu for that - right down at the bottom of the forums!

68_pie
1st Jul 2015, 11:57
We are going to fix the background for posts, so that they have a plain one rather than being transparent.

If you with to switch skins, there is a little menu for that - right down at the bottom of the forums!

The page numbers obscure the quote icon and none of the buttons look good with this theme either.

Edit:

Oh and there doesn't seem to be a "go to new post" button unless I'm missing it...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Jul 2015, 14:38
Do not like the forum redesign.

I really like it for the most part. :cool:

My only criticism is the gold/grey horizontal banners displaying our usernames. They unnecessarily dominate the page because the posts have a transparent background. Its all a matter of taste, of course, but I would reverse the settings so that our usernames display on the transparent background and the posts appear on the gold/grey background.

FrankCSIS
6th Jul 2015, 02:48
Met a girl on the 4th of July. Feels like there's a Springsteen song to be made, here :p

Oh, this isn't a Facebook account?

S'up everyone?

Proj2501
7th Jul 2015, 23:15
Happy to see the community still kicking.

Looking forward to the U.S. vs Japan robot fight. Hopefully this becomes a thing.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/tech/giant-robot-fight-challenge-accepted/

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Jul 2015, 23:49
Interesting, thanks for the link.
I see Skynet is sponsoring this event.... :eek:

:naughty:

Shralla
8th Jul 2015, 03:16
Mr. Robot is utterly fantastic, and should be right up the alley of anybody who is a fan of Deus Ex. It's had two episode so far with a third airing tomorrow (Wednesday) night. I really can't stress enough how great it's been so far. I feel more satisfied with the story told in the first two episodes than many shows manage in 10-20 episodes.

You should watch it.

U94litUpZuc

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jul 2015, 08:19
I will watch it once it airs in the UK. :cool:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Jul 2015, 19:28
Hooked on Wimbledon at the moment.
I'm looking forward to Serena and Maria's game tomorrow. This will be THE one to watch live. :cool:

Irate_Iguana
9th Jul 2015, 19:06
Hooked on Wimbledon at the moment.
I'm looking forward to Serena and Maria's game tomorrow. This will be THE one to watch live. :cool:

Tennis is boring. The Tour is where it's at.

68_pie
9th Jul 2015, 19:14
If you mean the PGA tour then, yes, I would agree.

Irate_Iguana
9th Jul 2015, 19:17
If you mean the PGA tour then, yes, I would agree.

Not until they start hitting each other with those clubs or violently falling into the sand traps and breaking their shoulders.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
11th Jul 2015, 10:25
The Ladies' Singles Final is scheduled for this afternoon. Yes, I have strawberries and champagne... :cool:

xaduha3
13th Jul 2015, 20:50
Rewatching True Detective S1 again, 3rd or 4th time. Season 2 isn't really bad, but Season 1 is in a different league.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Jul 2015, 14:10
New Horizons - Historic encounter with Pluto (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33531811)

Since launch, the small probe has traveled for 3,463 days and 2.97 billion miles—about 32 times the distance between the Earth and the sun. When New Horizons left, a Super Nintendo game offered better resolution than our best images of Pluto.

Man and machine working together.
This is great news, congratulations to the team. :cool:
I'm looking forward to viewing all the data.

xaduha3
15th Jul 2015, 23:20
http://williamdickersonfilmmaker.com/why-whiplash-won-an-oscar-for-best-editing/

[URL=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33531811][B]
Man and machine working together.

Oh, come on. That's not it at all. You can say the same thing about me and my Roomba.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Jul 2015, 00:08
Hehe, I admire any machine that will do the housework. :worship: :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Jul 2015, 09:47
Woah! The sun is shining in Blightyland. :eek:

FrankCSIS
21st Jul 2015, 03:24
Saw a truly brilliant Korean black comedy / thriller tonight. A Hard Day. Easily on par with In Bruges. Best film I've seen rolling out of Korea in a good 5 years.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Jul 2015, 19:43
It's been a few months since last I logged in.

The gameplay footage looks pretty damn good, I gotta say. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jul 2015, 21:57
It's been a few months since last I logged in.

Jesus Christ! Let's get real.... its called AWOL, Agent!!! :mad:

Where the heck have you been? :poke: :mad: :poke:

Welcome back, Pinky. :D

The gameplay footage looks pretty damn good, I gotta say. :)
It sure does. :cool:

Shralla
23rd Jul 2015, 22:31
I feel like a damned fool for not watching Steven Universe earlier. What a great show.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Jul 2015, 23:00
Latest from NASA. Earth 2.0 (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/nasa-announcement-live-second-earth-new-planet-kepler-space-telescope-10410960.html) :eek: :cool:

Pinky_Powers
24th Jul 2015, 13:36
Jesus Christ! Let's get real.... its called AWOL, Agent!!! :mad:

Where the heck have you been? :poke: :mad: :poke:

Space. I've become a great astronaut. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2015, 18:16
Did you take your protein pills? :D

nP6xBFyA_aw

MaxxQ64
26th Jul 2015, 18:20
Went by MaxxQ1 on the older forum, don't recall why I registered here and went with MaxxQ64, but I guess that's a problem with getting old. So anyway, I'm back, sort of, and plan to pop in here on occasion, but from what I've seen online with the trailers and such, I'm nowhere near as excited for this game as I was (originally) for DX:HR.

As I mentioned elsewhere, nowadays I'm basically too busy to do much in the way of playing games. Besides my paying job (I make jewelry, working with precious metals and stones), I also "work" for a group that develops and provides background for David Weber's Honor Harrington series of military science fiction books (the Honorverse). I do the 3D modeling of the ships, and have made a couple of vids that I've posted on YT.

Deviant Art page: http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/

YT vid (should be able to get the other 3 from this one): https://youtu.be/uEiGEeq8SiI

Pinky_Powers
26th Jul 2015, 19:17
Did you take your protein pills? :D

Damn right. I took them rectally, just as Ziggy from behind the 7-Eleven prescribes them.

Went by MaxxQ1 on the older forum, don't recall why I registered here and went with MaxxQ64, but I guess that's a problem with getting old. So anyway, I'm back, sort of, and plan to pop in here on occasion, but from what I've seen online with the trailers and such, I'm nowhere near as excited for this game as I was (originally) for DX:HR.

As I mentioned elsewhere, nowadays I'm basically too busy to do much in the way of playing games. Besides my paying job (I make jewelry, working with precious metals and stones), I also "work" for a group that develops and provides background for David Weber's Honor Harrington series of military science fiction books (the Honorverse). I do the 3D modeling of the ships, and have made a couple of vids that I've posted on YT.

Deviant Art page: http://maxxqbunine.deviantart.com/

YT vid (should be able to get the other 3 from this one): https://youtu.be/uEiGEeq8SiI

Hey Maxx. Good to see you again. I envy your two jobs. Both in the creative vein. I'm squandered in Electronics. I think it's killing me on the inside. I don't even write that much, any more. I need to get back that discipline.

FrankCSIS
26th Jul 2015, 19:35
Pinko I will hunt you down and beat you with the complete Oxford dictionary if you do not get back into it.

MaxxQ64
26th Jul 2015, 20:24
Hey Maxx. Good to see you again. I envy your two jobs. Both in the creative vein. I'm squandered in Electronics. I think it's killing me on the inside. I don't even write that much, any more. I need to get back that discipline.

Thanks Pinky. Good to see you again, as well.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2015, 20:35
Damn right. I took them rectally...

:eek:

Pinky_Powers
26th Jul 2015, 20:50
:eek:

Does it at all help that I was thinking of you as they "went in"?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Jul 2015, 22:18
I consider that question more relevant to your other-half. :D

Pinky_Powers
27th Jul 2015, 03:31
I've taken a few hours to ponder this, and I still don't understand your reply. So... congratulations on that. I'm not easily befuddled. Except by shadows, noises, and moment-to-moment existence.

What is the "other-half" you speak of? Tell me, and I shall slay the thing and bury it in the desert with the taxman.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Jul 2015, 09:51
Your other-half refers to your gf/bf/wife/husband. Surely someone as wonderful as you has a loving partner. :)

Pinky_Powers
27th Jul 2015, 14:37
Oh, that.

Perhaps the reason I don't have any of those right now is that none who enter my life have yet to qualify as the other half to Pinky.

Or maybe I should just stop burying them beside government employees. Who knows what romance may flourish if given a chance.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Jul 2015, 15:28
Oh dear, well at least you're setting your standards high. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Proj2501
31st Jul 2015, 02:19
The experiences and growth you miss out on by believing that. :eek:

ahhh... regret :D

Begather
31st Jul 2015, 07:41
Happy to see the community still kicking (http://www.loveandbuyit.com).

Looking forward to the U.S. vs Japan robot fight. Hopefully this becomes a thing.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/07/tech/giant-robot-fight-challenge-accepted/

I heard that Japan won the fight? Is it true or not?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Jul 2015, 13:40
I believe so... and no surprise really. The Japanese appear to be the world leaders in robotics. :cool:

Shralla
31st Jul 2015, 21:41
I don't understand how the fight apparently happened and it wasn't broadcast or anything. Makes me think they're just BSing the whole thing.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Jul 2015, 23:39
There is conflicting information on the internet it seems. The latest I read is that it isn't happening until next year. :nut:

68_pie
2nd Aug 2015, 20:13
Two and half weeks on holiday :D

Gotta say I love Eastern and Central Europe.

If anyone is considering going to Latvia/Lithuania/Poland/Slovakia/Hungary/Austria/Czech Republic then I would highly recommend it.

Even though the stop in Slovakia was unplanned (bus broke down for 16 hours in Dlhá nad Oravou(?)) we happened upon a rock concert and a BBQ so we couldn't complain that much.

Lots of great beer and meat was consumed (although I am glad to get back to somewhere where vegetables are more than an afterthought).

FrankCSIS
3rd Aug 2015, 02:13
You stormed through all of those in 18 days? Must've been a blast!

Also, you bring back many memories of meat and boiled potatoes! After Austria, Germany and Czech Republic, we looked like animals when we met with friends in Paris! They thought we hadn't eaten in two weeks.

68_pie
3rd Aug 2015, 12:25
It was great, though definitely a bit rushed in places. Don't think I've ever eaten so much pork and so many dumplings!

Shralla
4th Aug 2015, 01:29
Every episode of Teen Titans Go! I incidentally watch has me more pleasantly surprised than the last. I thought for sure it was crap but it turns out it's actually pretty witty and entertaining.

In this episode, Robin tries to teach the team about financial responsibility, and explains that anything could be money if people agreed upon it. So Beast Boy and the others start using bees for money, and it (inexplicably) spreads to the rest of the world, making Beast Boy rich and Robin broke. This is the exchange at the end:

a_4BSoXSoc4

FrankCSIS
21st Aug 2015, 01:05
Soooooooooo I take the bus this afternoon to get to the industrial district, and we actually got shot at. In broad daylight.

What the hell Montreal, when did you become so gangsta?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/bus_zpscvfdkhoy.jpg

MasterTaffer
21st Aug 2015, 04:00
I presume you are uninjured. Anyone else hurt?

Irate_Iguana
21st Aug 2015, 18:23
That doesn't seem like a drive-by apology. I hope the other Canadians on the bus at least were apologetic.

FrankCSIS
21st Aug 2015, 23:35
We were only 6 in the bus, no one was injured. Glass is hard plastic and made to shatter instead of explode, just got some bits of it on me. Still was pretty lucky. Projectile flew by my face and went out the window I had just opened. Had I been seated one seat further up front, would've hit me straight in the neck.

So strange and out of place an event that we just stared at the hole and glass for a whole minute until anyone actually reacted! Driver kept on for a few hundred meters and then stopped the bus. We checked the scene, he called it in, suggested to stay inside. A transit van was sent to pick people up. I left with another passenger before it arrived.

My reptilian man, a friend suggested it surely wasn't a bullet, but rather a very loud apology that caused the glass to shatter :p

SageSavage
22nd Aug 2015, 21:53
I'm glad you weren't injured, Frank! Close call...

-------
Have y'all read George Alec Effingers' "When Gravity Fails"? It's a classic cyberpunk/future noir novel from 1987. I'm currently listening to the english audiobook version of it and can recommend it to anyone interested in the subject. It's rather slow paced (think Chandlers' "The Long Goodbye" rather then a Spillane story) but does a good job describing its world and the characters that inhabit it.

-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Gravity_Fails

Lady_Of_The_Vine
23rd Aug 2015, 11:53
Shocking news, FrankCSIS. Good to hear there were no fatalities.

Spyhopping
26th Aug 2015, 19:15
That's quite a story. Glad that you sat where you did and walked away unharmed!

FrankCSIS
28th Aug 2015, 00:19
Thanks fellas! Spy, how ya been?!

This one is for Shral:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/tom%20lehrer_zpsuvu6lwn4.jpg

That's Tom Lehrer! Someone on a gaming Facebook group suggested Bethesda should use some of his songs, as you have said. We got a bit excited after some talk, and one thing leading to another, it was decided that we should contact him to voice a few lines and agree to the use of his songs. I found his home adress and sent him a letter, which he got this afternoon. He replied about an hour later by email.

From what I know of his public persona, I'm not at all surprised he's not the least bit interested in voicing a character. He did however agree to the licensing of his songs! The person we originally got to at Bethesda to let them know of our intentions is now informed that, as sole proprietor of his songs, he has agreed to it. It's probably too late for F4, but they can do it with whatever DLC missions they're working on. If they don't do it now, they're absolute idiots! Just gave them the rights on a freakin' platter!

Fox: Thanks for the heads up, haven't read that book. Will look it up!

68_pie
28th Aug 2015, 13:11
The best part of this is that you're still using an AOL email address,

FrankCSIS
28th Aug 2015, 21:18
Haha no, I'm the hotmail one. AOL is Tom Lehrer's. His adress is actually somewhat amusing.

Shralla
29th Aug 2015, 16:14
Yeah, he's not big on being recognized as a musician or on people even suggesting that his opinions and the way he spoke them were in any way special. I heard he'd become visibly uncomfortable if one of his students brought up his musical career, and it seems like he'd prefer to be left alone regarding that part of his life aside from asking permission to use his songs, which he gives with near-abandon.

Still though, that's pretty cool. Hopefully Bethesda wises up, but I doubt it. They're not really interested in making the best game they can, just a good enough game to sell.

zwanzig_zwoelf
17th Sep 2015, 00:16
Hello everyone, I hope you're feeling okay and missed me all this time. <:^)

This summer I didn't get a chance to play games as some of my gaming devices were stolen while I moved back to my lovely place, which is a real shame. Guess some people can't stand the sight of chokka with tons of packed stuff.

The worst thing is, I threw away most of the documents about a year ago, since they were kinda useless, and now I can't comfirm my ownership of these devices, and without these documents, the police won't do ****. And since prices are getting bigger and bigger, it'll take me more than a year to save enough dough to buy all dem devices again.

Anyhoo, I'm back from my summer 'vacation' and I'm feeling bitter, so I felt like I should pay you a visit and remind you all about my love towards you while shouting "BRO" and spurting blood all over the place because local shawarma is poisonous as hell.

WhiteCopy
17th Sep 2015, 21:06
Hello everyone, I hope you're feeling okay and missed me all this time. <:^)

Welcome back, it's always a pleasure to read your comments with this unique style, lyrical proses and wubwub hub hug :)

zwanzig_zwoelf
18th Sep 2015, 00:51
Welcome back, it's always a pleasure to read your comments with this unique style, lyrical proses and wubwub hub hug :)
I thought no one appreciated my presence on these forums (except Viktoria, I think), so consider me surprised, ke. We need diversity, after all, and trying to neglect that is on par with neglecting the progress and tolerance people acquired over the centuries. :)

Of course, there are people who didn't catch up with this progress, but hopefully, they're not present on these forums. :P

SageSavage
18th Sep 2015, 06:48
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/17/Long_Tumbleweed.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080515210612

Yep, I just logged in here to post this.

FrankCSIS
18th Sep 2015, 16:50
ZZ my man. Bring on the fireworks.

It's insane how dead the place is, months prior to release. Then again, we haven't even seen a CM in months. They really want us to roll over and die, don't they? I will live on, damnit!

zwanzig_zwoelf
18th Sep 2015, 17:04
Frank my boy, I am relieved to see you alive and well. You live a rough life just like me, so I'm always gentle to you in a bro-bro way. <:^)

I offered my assistance to Eidos Montreal more than once, but it seems they need some specific mumbo-jumbo to hire me which would require additional expenditures on my side, and I'm in no mood to waste my precious money on something that doesn't even improve my chances of getting in. Even with my super duper social skills. <:^)

I'm pretty sure that Eidos employees sing my messages during coffee breaks and write hardcore fanfiction to learn the deep secret behind my writing, though I'm afraid that would be impossible. They didn't spend their entire life fighting neanderthals and touching the depth of deep philosophy of professor Iku Ochinchin. <:^)

FrankCSIS
18th Sep 2015, 21:26
I'm afraid to ask, but, can we...can we hold hands in public?

professor Iku Ochinchin. <:^)

I'm really hoping someone googles this.

zwanzig_zwoelf
18th Sep 2015, 23:48
As long as it's in a bud-bud or bro-bro or wub-wub-wub way, then it's fine by me. <:^)

Lately I've been digging the idea of time travel and honestly, I can't believe I'm so exhausted after revisiting the same 30 minutes to experience the same feeling of sensation that comes every morning and then brushed aside by an urgent phone call. <:^)

Speaking of phone calls, we need some sort of international call service to call directly to Eidos employees at any time and demand music wubwubwub. >:^)

Dvaythavvar
23rd Sep 2015, 06:06
ZZ my man. Bring on the fireworks.

It's insane how dead the place is, months prior to release. Then again, we haven't even seen a CM in months. They really want us to roll over and die, don't they? I will live on, damnit!
And I thought after all this time I've been away i have loads of fan arts and things to find, and more chitter, chatter and gossip. I guess have to draw more art myself then.

FrankCSIS
24th Sep 2015, 03:59
Look what Twitter suggested!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/FrankDePasquale/forum_zps16jp8rx8.png

Should I gift-wrap it?

vallux
24th Sep 2015, 06:31
I'm afraid to ask, but, can we...can we hold hands in public?

B-b-brojob?

FrankCSIS
25th Sep 2015, 00:38
Once again, urban dictionary is my friend. For Double Z? Not closing that door! That's what wasted bros do, apparently.

Edit: Seems we broke a record, with the entire first page of the forum covered in spam.

Yep, amazing times we post in!

SageSavage
25th Sep 2015, 06:05
Edit: Seems we broke a record, with the entire first page of the forum covered in spam.

UsD79,cOm까똑: хаzа FOUND YOU!!!
RUN WHILE YOU CAN!! RUN!!! NOW!!!

vallux
25th Sep 2015, 08:53
buford976malka, I'M BURNING UUUUUPPPPPPPP

Played through Metal Gear Solid V's storyline. It was...pretty good.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/7b86dd1ee875e0106caab80ca8068521/tumblr_npda3lI08r1tg07vxo2_1280.jpg

Siddhartha_
12th Oct 2015, 03:35
It's starting to get pretty ridiculous. I've never seen any other forum with this amount spamming.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Oct 2015, 07:18
I agree, it is bad - but nothing any of us can do about it. You need to direct any complaints to admin.

zwanzig_zwoelf
12th Oct 2015, 21:52
sometimes quantity is nothing compared to quality i remember tons of porn spam on various forums until ~2008 or so if this forum was some sort of fanmade forum i'd say you guys are taking it lightly

Spyhopping
13th Oct 2015, 20:53
Reporting helps get rid of it faster! Then we get a notification in our inbox.

Anyway, DX Revision has just been released on steam with a great big discount on DX - 99p in the UK!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/13/deus-ex-revision-release/

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2015, 12:16
Reporting helps get rid of it faster!
Not really.
There is far too much spam getting posted en-masse and each member can only report one post per minute. :D

Cyberhuman
15th Oct 2015, 08:34
In the age of social media - Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and tumblr - the more traditional social platforms like internet forums are dying - now many forums have become a haven for the criminal underworld.

SageSavage
15th Oct 2015, 11:58
In the age of social media - Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and tumblr
I seriously don't have an account for anyone of these. I am 35. I feel so old now.

Shralla
16th Oct 2015, 00:57
I'm surprised you don't have a facebook. The others are pretty situational and depend on who you are. Personally I don't use Twitter or Instagram (though I have a Twitter account), and I only use Tumblr for porn. But yeah, facebook surprises me. I find it extremely useful for keeping track of people and events, but I'm not a 1000+ friend person or anything. I have less than 150 friends and all but one or two of them are people I know in real life.

SageSavage
17th Oct 2015, 04:29
Well, facebook is something I am actually boycotting because I never liked their privacy policy and also the hype around it always put me off big time.

I feel that forums are still the best platform for the discussion of topics that are too special for the broader public.

FrankCSIS
19th Oct 2015, 03:15
Twitter isn't half bad to follow news feeds, although it's gotten very clicky-baity nowadays. I find Facebook useful to follow up on friends who have moved for school or work, and some Facebook groups are interesting as community hubs. I'm glad I'm not the only one who strictly uses Tumblr for porn!

A forum still has its place, as it keeps things more organised. It's still the only place where you can go in-depth about anything. All other media hubs are about short comments and flash moments. They're all mostly one-way, too, which is why marketing and politics love them so much.

Shralla
19th Oct 2015, 04:22
I feel that forums are still the best platform for the discussion of topics that are too special for the broader public.

Oh I absolutely agree. For discussion, facebook is rubbish. Like I said I mostly use it for one-off opinions or sharing of something my friends might be interested in, or for organizing and tracking events.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who strictly uses Tumblr for porn!

It's such a brilliantly passive way to always have new content, and be able to save content somewhere other than your hard drive. I think that might be why anybody uses it for anything.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
31st Oct 2015, 16:02
Happy Halloween everyone. Eat, drink and be scary! :D

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j472/Twizted_Viewz/adamzom.jpg

SageSavage
14th Nov 2015, 19:15
Get ready for another level of escalation of the already ubiquitous mass surveillance. Dystopic future, here we come!

MasterTaffer
15th Nov 2015, 10:33
The horror...

Shralla
25th Nov 2015, 23:30
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/25/fox-news-star-wars

Fox News contributor gets death threats for mocking Star Wars fans

I have never had any interest in watching space nerds poke each other with their little space nerd sticks, and I’m not going to start now...You people are crazy. You Star Wars people are crazy. Yesterday I tweeted something, and all I said was that I wasn’t familiar with Star Wars because I’ve been too busy liking cool things and being attractive.

I am pretty up in arms about this. I think everybody is in agreement that the people sending death threats are in the wrong and in all likelihood need some help in the psych department. That much is clear. But goddamn this woman is a dumbass. And now of course she gets to take the high ground because a bunch of other dumbasses went way too far with their responses, instead of just calling her out for her idiotic and outdated notions of "cool."

She then refused to apologize, and went as far as to say that the people asking her to apologize, NOT just the people threatening her, were "bullying" her. This woman was outright bullying an entire group of people on a "news" program. And then she tried to justify it by saying she was "joking about a movie." Literally nothing she said was about the movie at all, and none of it was a joke. It was nothing but insults directed at the fanbase. And to suggest that she is somehow being bullied when she was the one on a national news program, holding all the power, slinging insults and speaking down to people, is utterly ridiculous. She wasn't asked to apologize for her opinions on a movie, she was asked to apologize for being an *******.

SageSavage
26th Nov 2015, 11:27
I think this must be the most uninteresting news piece I've read this month. ;P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Nov 2015, 13:15
I concur.
Since when do people have to apologise for making jokes on a satirical talk show? :scratch:

Shralla
26th Nov 2015, 15:15
As I said, she wasn't making a joke. She was just being insulting. And when people are insulting, they should apologize.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Nov 2015, 17:59
From what she said (and others made jokes before her btw) I hear satire, ie humorous criticism on what IS a satirical talk show.
What exactly did she say that isn't satire? Which part is an offensive/insulting attack to you?

Clearly its subjective but what amazes me is why you're not feeling MORE angry about the fanbase who are making these disgusting threats. Why aren't you up in arms asking them to apologise? :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Nov 2015, 18:40
Death threats are always a nono, but you could just say "I don't like Star Wars" instead of all that.
There is no ..."but".... Anyone who makes such threats are the ones who need to apologise.

It would be boring for anyone just to say just this on a talk show that expects satire from its guests.
They are being paid money to perform a role after all.

SageSavage
1st Dec 2015, 17:37
Kind of a playlist. Tracks are off KRS-Ones', Krazie Bones' and Onyxs' newest 2015 records.

WMx1M8Upt6Q
p42lHncLqsE
wnhk_i3YsZ4
_81fVwSR7_0
GzkctkPbHCY
- - - - -
qdqb3qPvyaI
xTM-xy6085E
FljjRONtaVk

FYI: "Chasing The Devil" is sort of a mixed bag for me, "Now Hear This" is pretty great all around and "Against All Authorities" is friggn awesome musically but the message has to be taken with a big grain of salt. "Real HipHop" (tm) is coming back, baby.

Shralla
2nd Dec 2015, 00:31
There is no ..."but".... Anyone who makes such threats are the ones who need to apologise.

It would be boring for anyone just to say just this on a talk show that expects satire from its guests.
They are being paid money to perform a role after all.

There absolutely is a "but." In the same way that what she said doesn't forgive what they said, what they said doesn't forgive what she said. You're just proving my point, which is that thanks to the morons sending her death threats, people are just going to ignore that what she said in the first place was insulting and inappropriate. It's not "satire." She wasn't satirizing anything. She was just insulting people, which isn't a joke unless you're creative about it, and certainly isn't any kind of satire. You could say the same about being paid money to perform a role about Donald Trump as well, and dismiss everything he says as being a joke. But you wouldn't, because you know that Donald Trump is an *******, regardless of the fact that he's playing a role on the world's biggest stage.

Shralla
2nd Dec 2015, 00:32
FYI: "Chasing The Devil" is sort of a mixed bag for me, "Now Hear This" is pretty great all around and "Against All Authorities" is friggn awesome musically but the message has to be taken with a big grain of salt. "Real HipHop" (tm) is coming back, baby.

Real Hip Hop™ never went anywhere but off the radio. Indie acts have been killing it straight since the 90s, it's just easier to find them (and for them to find and audience) with all the music and social media services online nowadays.

I haven't actually listened to Krayzie Bone before, but the first two songs you posted have sold me enough to check out the whole album. I've honestly never heard any KRS-One other than the obvious Sound of Da Police. The first song you posted was solid but a little slow even for me, and I'm a fan of the slow southern drawl rap. The second one was dope; I'm not always a fan of the repetitive flow/melody but he's got a good thing going on in that song.

I've never heard of Onyx. I can see what you mean about taking the song with a grain of salt, but that's true for a lot of music. Like Ice-T said, if you believe he's really a cop-killer, then you should probably believe that David Bowie is really an astronaut. Music is an expression of emotion and passion, an outlet for all the feelings they express in the songs. As for the song itself, I like both the music and the lyrics, but the first guy's flow was a little slow and repetitive for my tastes, and the second guy sounded like a pirate. That said, I do actively follow a pirate-themed hip-hop group, so overall I preferred the second guy's bit.

I can't be sure, but I don't think there's much of an audience for this sort of music here. But you certainly got my attention! I guess I'll share some of my recent favorites. Most of these are newer releases by my perennial favorites, and I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard some or all of it before.

If you don't know Hopsin, I feel like I should preface this song by saying that by listening to his discography you can hear that he's always been a devoutly religious person, but at the same time constantly struggling with fundamental doubts regarding his beliefs. It left the listener wondering how long his faith could hold up against the constant hammering of his skepticism. And then he released this song, which I honestly believe is one of the most powerful songs of any genre, made all the more so by the faith he illustrated in his previous releases.

QBsA2ETp7JA

Not all his songs are as insightful as this, but most of them do have some kind of commentary or insight even when featuring more "traditional" delivery and lyricism. He's also not above straight-up satire, as evidenced by the first of these two songs.

IiNNBc557OQ

Ji3MJksAYGo

I've known about El-P for years now, but I never really looked into him beyond the songs that I liked on my Pandora. I also found out about Run The Jewels not long after they came out, but hadn't listened to them until recently. I instantly became obsessed. The faster, NY-style that El-P spits perfectly complements the slower Southern verses that Killer Mike drops. They also have a perfect combination of relevant, meaningful lyrics, and straight up banging beats and badass flow. I ended up falling in love with Killer Mike over El-P, though I'm still a fan of El-P.

YbnhUVTTdHE

rtFDsYwARIE

6lIqNjC1RKU

And finally, Mac Lethal is one of my favorite poets in addition to being one of my favorite rappers. His flow is slick, but where he shines is in the sheer brilliance of his lyricism. The words he uses and the way he uses them string together in what is nothing short of the lyrical equivalent of a perfectly crafted painting, and his imagery is second to not even the best fiction writers.

_uOo37Fztu0

m59SQYYNDzc

R2aD5G9B74s

Sorry if I totally blew up the thread, heh. Maybe this would have been better off as an IM conversation.